I'll help any way I can Sam.

#2402 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,463 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:40 AM

Well the first step is for me to get the infrastructure built which I haven't even started on. Not sure when I'll get to it. Got a lot going on at work right now. But when people want to start making videos, that'd be great.

Non potest esse nisi unus

#2403 kellym

kellym

Droid Oracle

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,794 posts
  • Google+:kellym
  • LocationNY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel XL

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:55 PM

I like DroidModd3X's DMX channel on YouTube. His videos are very helpful to us nOObs who didn't know about factory resets or booting into recovery. Viewing a similiar process eliminates some of the panic. I also suggest printing a copy of HOB FAQs to refer to. I know next to nothing, but have successfully used HOB twice, if you take the time and consideration to read the FAQ, HOB is as smooth as butter. But, a person also needs to acknolwedge their limitations. I'm too nervous to move up to 9.5, grateful for HOB ICS and think I should leave well enough alone! Whomever is able to make an instructional video may want to take a peek at the DMX channel. Shane's videos are simple and clear for anyone to follow. Thanks to Sam and all the other developers for their time!
  • SamuriHL likes this

#2404 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,463 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

A newbie guide to rooting. Just collecting information we can use.
  • csantarcangelo likes this

#2405 LDubs

LDubs

Pawn In Game of Life

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,129 posts
  • Twitter:lew_bklyn
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6P, Nexus 5, Nvidia Shield 32gb LTE, Moto X 2013 (thanks S3inks!)

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:27 AM

This is a fantastic idea and can definitely help people from going into panic mode - I would also consider myself not a noob but certainly not an expert. I've got a Mac and was pretty proud of myself when I couldn't get hob to work on windows side (I think it was win 7 compatibility issue), ran it on Mac side, got black screen (no panic, knew it was webtop issue), switched to windows side and fixed it to successfully get to ics. Long-winded way of echoing Sam's sentiments about reading reading and more reading, but I too would love to learn more so I can pay it forward as well. And thanks Sam for all of your hard work so far.

sent from my icy bionic
  • SamuriHL likes this
The price of liberty, and even of common humanity, is eternal vigilance. -- Aldous Huxley

Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.  ---Mark Twain

Thoughts become things. If you see it in your mind, you will hold it in your hand. --Bob Proctor

#2406 khokhonutt

khokhonutt

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:35 AM

Would it be worth adding some text to your initial warning statement, something to the effect of, "If you are not 100% comfortable with these steps and exactly what they do, walk away now." I only say this because one thing I've noticed, more than once, are folks who use HOB almost begging someone who obviously has reservations to come use HOB. Sam, I know you have no control over that, and unfortunately there will be no silver bullet, but in my experience the more novice the user, the less likely they are to read all the documentation and the more likely they are to panic when something unexpected happens.

I certainly understand evangelizing technology and tools like yours, but at some point when folks show reservations, they should understand that their reservations are well founded. If they don't 100% understand the process they should stop and at the very least read (which they won't always do) or find someone they personally know to discuss the process (something I did).

That said, I think the additional info you're talking about adding is awesome. I admit that while I'm fairly tech savvy on many things, putzing with my phone wasn't one of them. While I read everything in your FAQ and instructions, there was a certain level of just following the steps because they were there the first time I manually applied an update to my phone. I didn't, and still don't, understand everything that was going on under the covers. That's info I'd love to understand, but unfortunately I doubt that info will be read by a fair number of the folks who fly off the handle when things go wrong, at least not before they screw things up.

Thanks again for all you've done with this. It's been a very cool learning experience for me. I know supporting the most novice folks can be the most frustrating thing. I sincerely hope that doesn't run you off any time soon. :-)

Jeff
  • SamuriHL and Int_Rnd_Pooka like this

#2407 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,463 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:02 AM

Yea, I know exactly what you're saying and I've said the same thing many times. I see it all the time....someone gets themselves into trouble because they didn't take the time to learn what it is they were doing, someone else says "just use HoB and it'll fix everything and make you breakfast while you wait." That's great and all, and is true for the most part (well, except that breakfast module...it needs work as it still burns the toast), however, what people fail to do when recommending the HoB to someone is gauging the user they're recommending it to. I've had plenty of times where I've told people *NOT* to use the HoB. Simple reason is they got into trouble by blindly jumping into whatever they were doing in the first place. And because they're stuck, they're panicking, need their phone "NOW", and are not well suited to becoming a first time HoB user. I don't really know how to get that message across all that well. It's not the n00bs I'm concerned about on that one...it's the people who've successfully read everything, used the HoB to accomplish their goal, and then think that everyone can do it. I'm here to tell you, no, not everyone can. :) And I really have no patience left anymore for supporting that kind of stuff.

In any case, I'm hoping the help stuff we put together over the next couple weeks will assist people. I guess we'll find out. :)
  • Int_Rnd_Pooka likes this

#2408 hisself

hisself

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Current Device(s):Bionic, D0, Viewsonic gTab, Detonics Seattle CM

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:04 PM

"just use HoB and it'll fix everything and make you breakfast while you wait." That's great and all, and is true for the most part (well, except that breakfast module...it needs work as it still burns the toast), :)

Well, I tried HoB a few times, upgraded to Jelly Bean using SamHL's secret files, and now, every time I press 911 on my phone, a firetruck arrives at my house bringing me an order of burnt toast. No butter or jam, just burnt toast. SamHL, could you tweak HoB a little so they will bring some orange marmalade along with the toast? Thanks :>)

#2409 - JPB

- JPB

DG Mooter

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationNear S.J., CA
  • Current Device(s):Droid Bionic

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:34 PM

Well, I tried HoB a few times, upgraded to Jelly Bean using SamHL's secret files, and now, every time I press 911 on my phone, a firetruck arrives at my house bringing me an order of burnt toast. No butter or jam, just burnt toast. SamHL, could you tweak HoB a little so they will bring some orange marmalade along with the toast? Thanks :>)

I don't think it'll ever have marmalade, but it will eventually include butter...
;)
"Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see." - Arthur Schopenhauer

#2410 Int_Rnd_Pooka

Int_Rnd_Pooka

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Current Device(s):Bionic

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:28 AM

How will potential new security policies affect the new HOB format for a build-your-own? Supposing that the JB leaks to come are like the last round of ICS leaks in that you can't downgrade.

Speaking of, didn't you say we'd hopefully be getting some JB leakage before year's end?

#2411 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,463 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:46 AM

I'm not expecting new security for the JB builds, but, it's something to always be on guard for. It's not difficult to check for new security. Load up the CDTParser.exe in the utils dir, open the cdt.bin from the 246 FXZ and then compare it with the cdt.bin from your new leak. If they match, you're good to go. If they don't, it's best to wait until we look at it in depth. If there is new security, well, if you install the build you'll be stuck going forward from then on. Since we have the 246 FXZ, the HoB will allow you to move forward from any leak to the next.

The "build your own" aspect of the HoB is nothing more than acquiring the leak, renaming it to add the version number to it, and dropping it in a folder in the HoB dir. The HoB will detect it, build you a new boot img, and automagically add it to the HoB menu for you. I'm going to have guidelines for those that want to host leaks for people so that people will be able to just unzip it into the HoB dir and have it work.

Yes, according to our sources we're going to see the first leak on the 28th. That's as long as Moto keeps to the schedule.

#2412 Int_Rnd_Pooka

Int_Rnd_Pooka

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Current Device(s):Bionic

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:53 AM

Hopefully, Moto will finally stick to their schedule, then :-)

#2413 jcwilliams

jcwilliams

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Locationohio

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:45 PM

I wouldnt mind at all making a how to video for the hob but I know that there is someone more qualified to successfully do this than me. I know how to use it and have helped others using team viewer but I'm not 100% confident that if I made a video that it would be good....

#2414 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,463 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:08 PM

All I can say to that is try it and send me a link to it. Unless it's technically incorrect in some way or likely to cause problems, I'm sure it'll be absolutely fine. That goes for anyone.....if you make a video, send it to me and I'll take a look at it. I may have some constructive criticism if I feel something needs to be changed, but, in general anything is better than what we have now. :)

#2415 Dave12308

Dave12308

"The Don"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,939 posts
  • LocationSchenectady, NY - 518 Represent!
  • Current Device(s):Motorola X 2014 (AT&T - Biggest MISTAKE! i've EVER made), ASUS Padfone X (Thanks, Kaos!)

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:30 AM

Hopefully, Moto will finally stick to their schedule, then :-)

They do seem to be getting much better! When Punit took over that release schedule page, it suddenly actually meant something.

#2416 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:29 AM

I left something here......

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#2417 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,463 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:39 AM

I've turned this thread into a general discussion for the House of Bionic. This is where we can discuss HoB options and/or troubleshoot HoB issues. If warranted I may make a HoB troubleshooting thread at some point. The main HoB thread has been split off and is closed so only I can edit it.

#2418 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,463 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:58 AM

Ok, all discussions have now been merged to this thread.
  • livinginkaos likes this

#2419 newskate9

newskate9

Older Than You

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • LocationCentral PA
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx HD, Razr Maxx, Nexus 7

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:28 PM

hi all,

I was directed here by Matt of Batman fame. I've been working Razrs for a while now, and gave my old razr to my son. He gave me his bionic to play with. It's rooted and eclipsed - but it's been a while. So I want to "start over" so I know where it's at, etc.

I'll be READING here and using the tools - I may chime in from time to time too. Looks like some great work has been done, so I"m anxoius to get started.

Proud father of a US Marine

#2420 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,463 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:54 PM

Awesome. Well, just make sure you read and follow the instructions and you should be good to go. If you want a completely clean start, I'd recommend the FXZ Factory Reset option. It'll upgrade it to 246 (our latest OTA) and reset the phone to factory defaults as if you just bought it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: HoB

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)