4 replies to this topic

#1 skeven

skeven

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:04 PM

For those who don't like the Swype Beta and want to have the pre-install version of Swype (with the dark theme, arrows, etc), this should make things a bit simpler

This thread is for those, like me, who didn't know how to properly port Swype over from another ROM

Files
Swype.apk & libSwypeCore.so (3.26.92Q.39177.11799.Targa_ICS_V4), kindly taken from the LiquidSmooth Blur Rom

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Procedure
  • Unzip the contents of the .zip and move the two files onto your SD card
  • Open your favourite mobile file manager (I used ES File Explorer for this),
    make sure that the file manager has root permissions and allows you to go up to the root directory '/' and/or '/system'
  • Copy libSwypeCore.so to '/vendor/lib/' (alternatively '/system/vendor/lib/', they're the same location though this may vary by ROM)
  • Run the Swype.apk and install as usual, Swype should now be selectable under the Language & Input options under Settings

Problems I ran into
  • Attempting to install Swype.apk without libSwypeCore.so
    • While this may work in cases where libSwypeCore.so already exists in the '/lib/' directory, in most cases it will result in a force close (or multiple FCs if made the default input option)
  • Copying libSwypeCore.so has failed
    • It took me a few hours of tinkering to realize the solution to this problem, at first I thought the problem was improper file permissions or a faulty install, however the problem was that the system partition I was trying to move the file to did not have enough free space for libSwypeCore.so to move to. This would result in a partial copy (libSwypeCore.so copy failed but the file was present with a reduced filesize in the '/lib' directory) or the copy failed message.
    • My solution was to browse to the '/system/media' directory and delete the 9MB of video files I did not need. You can also remove ringtones or other files you feel safe removing, but please be careful -- though I doubt you'd seriously mess your phone up removing files from the '/system/media/audio' or 'video' folders.
Screenshot

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

• cs_wrc likes this

#2 raymechanic

raymechanic

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationDouglasville,Ga
  • Current Device(s):Motorola Bionic

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:28 PM

Thank you for this

Sent from my Eclipised BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

#3 nitephlight

nitephlight

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:56 AM

lol Swype beta blows on my bionic (constantly produces over eager choices, proper nouns etc but owns on gnex, thoughts? it's not affected by vendor core is it?

#4 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

Antidisestablishmentarianist

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/JohnLGalt
  • Location3rd Rock
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 4 XL 128 GB

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:18 AM

I haven't tried the 'beta' since I started running hte ICS leaks and saw they were pretty close to .26 or whatever that last beta was. Now that you all are doing all this maybe I need to remove hte Swype and try the beta? :P

#5 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

Antidisestablishmentarianist

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/JohnLGalt
  • Location3rd Rock
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 4 XL 128 GB

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:20 PM

BTW, the final version of Swype on BIONIC ICS 6.7.246 (installed via FXZ) is 3.26.92Q.39343.39343.13928.Targa_ICS_V6

(and yes, on my phone, 39343 is repeated twice).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: swype, ics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users