Photo

What's Your Preferred Rom?

ROM Survey Poll

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

Poll: Survey - What's your fav? (336 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your preferred choice in (Moto ICS & AOKP) ROMS?

1. Stock deodexed/zipaligned (rooted) 211 (7 votes [2.08%])

Percentage of vote: 2.08%

2. Dualcore (4 votes [1.19%])

Percentage of vote: 1.19%

3. The Arctic ICS (10 votes [2.98%])

Percentage of vote: 2.98%

4. Eclipse ICS (34 votes [10.12%])

Percentage of vote: 10.12%

5. Voted SimplexROM (65 votes [19.35%])

Percentage of vote: 19.35%

6. Voted DroidHD (31 votes [9.23%])

Percentage of vote: 9.23%

7. ArcticHD (30 votes [8.93%])

Percentage of vote: 8.93%

8. Flick (43 votes [12.80%])

Percentage of vote: 12.80%

9. Skullcandy (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

10. Voted Bionx Nx (13 votes [3.87%])

Percentage of vote: 3.87%

11. Jekyll (4 votes [1.19%])

12. Evolution (13 votes [3.87%])

13. Black Widow - Moto (13 votes [3.87%])

14. Black Widow - AOKP (27 votes [8.04%])

Percentage of vote: 8.04%

15. Full Throttle -AKOP (15 votes [4.46%])

Percentage of vote: 4.46%

16. Haven't Tried! (27 votes [8.04%])

Percentage of vote: 8.04%

What is your preferred choice in (CM-10/JB) ROMS?

1. Licorice (25 votes [7.44%])

Percentage of vote: 7.44%

2. Scalpel (13 votes [3.87%])

3. JellyCore (35 votes [10.42%])

Percentage of vote: 10.42%

4. Voted High Octane (14 votes [4.17%])

Percentage of vote: 4.17%

5. Black Widow (55 votes [16.37%])

Percentage of vote: 16.37%

6. Voted KOA Resurrection (41 votes [12.20%])

Percentage of vote: 12.20%

7. Voted Haven't Tried! (153 votes [45.54%])

Percentage of vote: 45.54%

What is your preferred choice in (AOKP/JB) ROMS?

1. Axiomcs (8 votes [2.38%])

Percentage of vote: 2.38%

2. JellyCore (28 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

3. Voted ChKM8 (4 votes [1.19%])

4. Wizzed Bean Rebirth (41 votes [12.20%])

Percentage of vote: 12.20%

5. Black Widow (62 votes [18.45%])

Percentage of vote: 18.45%

6. Voted Full Throttle Killer Bean (29 votes [8.63%])

Percentage of vote: 8.63%

7. Red Tide Revenge (2 votes [0.60%])

Percentage of vote: 0.60%

8. Voted Haven't Tried! (162 votes [48.21%])

Percentage of vote: 48.21%

What is your preferred choice in (MIUI) ROMS?

1. Voted Unofficial MIUI (10 votes [2.98%])

Percentage of vote: 2.98%

2. Dianxin (3 votes [0.89%])

Percentage of vote: 0.89%

3. MIUI for ICS Leaks (15 votes [4.46%])

Percentage of vote: 4.46%

4. Voted Haven't Tried! (308 votes [91.67%])

Percentage of vote: 91.67%

What is your preferred choice in (CM9/JB) ROMS?

1. Black Widow (66 votes [19.64%])

Percentage of vote: 19.64%

2. Voted KOA (59 votes [17.56%])

Percentage of vote: 17.56%

3. Voted Haven't Tried! (211 votes [62.80%])

Percentage of vote: 62.80%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 tyrate

tyrate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:25 AM

My reasoning:

Well let me start off by saying that I'm completely new to the Android community. I've fought the transition to the smartphone era for years and finally caved in after my last basic cell splash down into the bottom of my toilet. Anyhow I'm a proud owner of a modest 16GB Droid Razr XT912 mainly because I'm cheap and I wanted to give the crooks over at the Big Red Machine as little of my hard earned money as possible which I will concede is basically impossible to do, they'll rob you blind no matter how hard you try I'll assure you of that!

I'm new to the android community but by no means am I new to the world of hacking into my electronics to get the best out of its capabilities. In fact there's essentially nothing electronically in my home I haven't tried to crack into before including my TVs, media players, computers, the kids i-touches, and xboxes. Hell if I could hack into my microwave I think I would! So it was only natural when I got my smartphone my 1st instinct was to ask myself.. I wonder what she's capable of doing and how can I get all this junkware off of it that Verizon was forcing on me and wasting my resources with? After doing a quick google search I'd landed on this wonderful little forum and quickly familiarized myself with process of rooting and flashing my phone. Which lead me here to creating this post because it quickly occurred to me that there were a lot of options out there when it came to ROMs choices and other developments but there was no definitive answer on which one was the best or most popular. Which at the time of picking the 1st one I wanted to try a very difficult one. My thoughts being as a newcomer what I would like to try is what's considered the consensus best and if I choose to do so work my way through the rest afterwards.

So for the sake of newbies like myself I hope everyone take a moment to participate in the survey and maybe mention what type of equipment you're working with. The poll was comprised from the

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

that 24v created so if I missed any forgive me and please let me know. Since there are so many candidates out there I won't just add it to the list until there are several request for it.

I feel this poll is a good idea but it may not get you to your end destination, so to speak. I honestly do not think me giving you my favorite ROM will really help you, but I feel perhaps a break down of the different bases will be of greater use.

I'd like to say first of all, in my humble opinion, you cannot go wrong with any ROM on this site. I give mad props to all the Devs here who put in hours and hours of work. I'm far from an expert so if I've made any mistakes in my descriptions I urge anyone to please correct me.

Blur based ROMs:
The most bug free. What you sacrifice in options you gain in stability. Pretty much everything works on them. They are de-bloated to different extents and filled with sexy tweaks implemented by the Devs to improve battery life and performance. They generally tend to run much better than stock in my opinion. You can't go wrong with these ROMs.

AOKP/CM9 ICS based ROMs:
Almost bug free. Extremely de-bloated. Things like buggy screen auto-rotation (when changing the orientation of your phone it causes the screen image to become small before it actually switches over to the proper size and orientation. Sort of a choppy transition rather than a smooth fluid one), cropped screen shots, laggy home screen transitions (a workaround for this is to turn off wallpaper scrolling), and no HDMI out are some of the more annoying bugs for me personally. However, if you can get past the bugs, these ROMs offer very high customization such as customizable pull-down notifications and battery icons, long pressing of the volume rocker to skip music tracks, and fine tuned adjustments of the auto-brightness settings to name a few. Both AOKP and CM9 generally run extremely fast with excellent battery life. AOKP offers a few more options in the customization department but CM9 offers customizable lock screen hotseats so you can choose your unlock shortcuts.

AOKP/CM10 Jelly Bean based ROMs:
Fixes some bugs in AOKP/CM9 ICS. These ROMs are extremely snappy, buttery smooth, and have all the AOKP/CyanogenMod customization. However, they still suffer from buggy auto-rotation and introduce a couple of new bugs, such as not being able to send or receive MMS (using a 3rd party SMS/MMS app such as Handcent or Go SMS seems to fix this issue) and the camera flash being out of sync with the camera, causing dark pics in low light scenarios. In my opinion, they are definitely daily drivable ROMs as the pros outweigh the cons by a wide margin.

Kexec ROMs:
This is an option you did not include in your poll. I personally have not used any Kexec ROMs. These ROMs are available in AOSP, AOKP, and CyanogenMod flavors. What makes them different is that the locked boot loader is bypassed allowing custom kernels to be used. These ROMs tend to have the most bugs. The biggest being no deep sleep (this issue may have been fixed by now) and a non-working camera, but I've read they are still very awesome ROMs with great performance and battery life. Hopefully Dhacker and Hashcode will get the few kinks worked out sooner or later. A BIGTIME shoutout goes out to them because without them, we'd have much less options if any at all.

Hope this helps.

#2 jon1833

jon1833

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Michigan

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:33 AM

I like this. I figure I should comment and tell why I use Simplex as my daily driver. Basically, I've tried pretty much all of these roms, I used to always come back to Artic HD. Which is an amazing rom, but I found Simplex to have better battery life on my phone, and its much faster, in my opinion. I can't remember any other details as to why I switched. Great survey though.

#3 tyrate

tyrate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:36 AM

Thanks I appreciate the thoughts!

#4 papanut

papanut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:43 AM

I don't like this yeah I know that's my problem. I guess because it's all subjective, the devs make the roms either how they like it and some change things to suit the users. I'd rather just try a rom and read that rom's thread than go by a poll like this.

In other words a popularity poll isn't going to decide if one rom is better than another, it's personal preference.

and oh yeah, "get off my effin lawn!"
  • andlaw, koehn925 and Nitewolf like this

#5 D Stave

D Stave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:46 AM

At the end of it all I always go back to full throttle cm9

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#6 tyrate

tyrate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:02 AM

True papanut it's all subjective but like I'd mention in the original post it's only designed to give a person a starting point. If a majority of users are using a particular ROM it's true it may not be the best but there must certainly be a reason why the majority is choosing that ROM over the rest, don't you think? So I personally would prefer to start with majority vote and see what that's all about and then move on to the rest and make my decision from there but just my thoughts on it!
  • jon1833 and bjoestanley like this

#7 churchmouth

churchmouth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Twitter:http://twitter.com/leftspin
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:02 AM

I don't like this yeah I know that's my problem. I guess because it's all subjective, the devs make the roms either how they like it and some change things to suit the users. I'd rather just try a rom and read that rom's thread than go by a poll like this.

In other words a popularity poll isn't going to decide if one rom is better than another, it's personal preference.

and oh yeah, "get off my effin lawn!"

I agree with you to an extent, everyone is looking for different things in a ROM and they'll choose a favorite according to whatever their needs are. A simple multiple choice poll doesn't tell you which ROM is better, just more popular, but if people take a minute to post in here why they prefer their favorite ROM like jon1833 did then I think a thread like this is a great resource for someone looking for a ROM to narrow down their selection to ROMs geared towards their needs.
  • loonie01, milkshed27 and jbag1489 like this

#8 vtwinbmx

vtwinbmx

Droid Elite

• Developer
  • 2,486 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:18 AM

At the end of it all I always go back to full throttle cm9

And the new full throttle retribution with linaro is done. Brees75 needs to post it he been very busy

vtc.png

#9 androidlearner

androidlearner

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts
  • LocationPeoria, AZ

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:24 AM

Well with ss3 I can run them all! I used Arctic for a long time and still do when I need to have everything working, camera and video. Right now my daily is KOA though with CyanCore and Arctic running in 2, other slots. To be honest all 3 are my "Favorite"

Sent from my Droid Razr CyanCore V1.1

#10 D Stave

D Stave

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:50 AM

And the new full throttle retribution with linaro is done. Brees75 needs to post it he been very busy

I love you guys.

• vtwinbmx likes this

#11 Maxxaholic

Maxxaholic

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationWashington, USA

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:58 PM

Anything full throttle

Sent from my XT912 using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2
  • vtwinbmx likes this

#12 Bologna

Bologna

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Twitter:@Bolognasez
  • Google+:bolowneeez@gmail.com
  • LocationGulf of Mexico

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:13 PM

I say learn the ins and outs of safestrap 3.

Then flash EVERYTHING and lose nothing.
Posted Image

#13 theBonVoyage

theBonVoyage

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:20 PM

Is anyone here running the R3DS iKR3AM rom? That's what I'm running now and It's outstanding. Stock UI but for the performance, I'll take it!
  • milkshed27 and hdkilner like this

#14 pattersonx

pattersonx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:25 PM

I guess I will b the first to mention the black widow ROMs...I'm on the bw aokp jb ROM now. Besides having a great ROM the support is amazing!
  • milkshed27, andlaw, Nitewolf and 1 other like this

#15 loonie01

loonie01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:54 PM

I'm a crackflasher. I like all of them :-)

#16 Daino92

Daino92

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Google+:chrisdaino@gmail.com
  • LocationFort Collins
  • Current Device(s):SCH-1535

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:04 PM

I have tried almost every ROM on here, but i need my phone to be fully functional, and simplex is just nice, so its what i use. :)
  • jon1833 likes this

#17 milkshed27

milkshed27

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:48 PM

I feel this poll is a good idea but it may not get you to your end destination, so to speak. I honestly do not think me giving you my favorite ROM will really help you, but I feel perhaps a break down of the different bases will be of greater use.

I'd like to say first of all, in my humble opinion, you cannot go wrong with any ROM on this site. I give mad props to all the Devs here who put in hours and hours of work. I'm far from an expert so if I've made any mistakes in my descriptions I urge anyone to please correct me.

Blur based ROMs:
The most bug free. What you sacrifice in options you gain in stability. Pretty much everything works on them. They are de-bloated to different extents and filled with sexy tweaks implemented by the Devs to improve battery life and performance. They generally tend to run much better than stock in my opinion. You can't go wrong with these ROMs.

AOKP/CM9 ICS based ROMs:
Almost bug free. Extremely de-bloated. Things like buggy screen auto-rotation (when changing the orientation of your phone it causes the screen image to become small before it actually switches over to the proper size and orientation. Sort of a choppy transition rather than a smooth fluid one), cropped screen shots, laggy home screen transitions (a workaround for this is to turn off wallpaper scrolling), and no HDMI out are some of the more annoying bugs for me personally. However, if you can get past the bugs, these ROMs offer very high customization such as customizable pull-down notifications and battery icons, long pressing of the volume rocker to skip music tracks, and fine tuned adjustments of the auto-brightness settings to name a few. Both AOKP and CM9 generally run extremely fast with excellent battery life. AOKP offers a few more options in the customization department but CM9 offers customizable lock screen hotseats so you can choose your unlock shortcuts.

AOKP/CM10 Jelly Bean based ROMs:
Fixes some bugs in AOKP/CM9 ICS. These ROMs are extremely snappy, buttery smooth, and have all the AOKP/CyanogenMod customization. However, they still suffer from buggy auto-rotation and introduce a couple of new bugs, such as not being able to send or receive MMS (using a 3rd party SMS/MMS app such as Handcent or Go SMS seems to fix this issue) and the camera flash being out of sync with the camera, causing dark pics in low light scenarios. In my opinion, they are definitely daily drivable ROMs as the pros outweigh the cons by a wide margin.

Kexec ROMs:
This is an option you did not include in your poll. I personally have not used any Kexec ROMs. These ROMs are available in AOSP, AOKP, and CyanogenMod flavors. What makes them different is that the locked boot loader is bypassed allowing custom kernels to be used. These ROMs tend to have the most bugs. The biggest being no deep sleep (this issue may have been fixed by now) and a non-working camera, but I've read they are still very awesome ROMs with great performance and battery life. Hopefully Dhacker and Hashcode will get the few kinks worked out sooner or later. A BIGTIME shoutout goes out to them because without them, we'd have much less options if any at all.

Hope this helps.
  • deejay1111, andlaw, smokewagon47 and 2 others like this
If we question our own actions, our thought process, make a conscious decision to what we feel is right every single day, that's what I believe to be Divinity. That's true Shamanism.

#18 milkshed27

milkshed27

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:12 PM

Is anyone here running the R3DS iKR3AM rom? That's what I'm running now and It's outstanding. Stock UI but for the performance, I'll take it!

I'm not running it at the moment but I have in the past. R3Ds makes very awesome ROMs.
  • hdkilner likes this
If we question our own actions, our thought process, make a conscious decision to what we feel is right every single day, that's what I believe to be Divinity. That's true Shamanism.

#19 RoWilJr

RoWilJr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationIL
  • Current Device(s):Galaxy SIII

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:24 PM

Well said milkshed!

sent from my Safety Razr
  • milkshed27 and bjoestanley like this

#20 thunderwolf

thunderwolf

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:01 AM

Awesome..I too prefer all things Full Throttle.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ROM, Survey, Poll

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users