324 replies to this topic

#181 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,478 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:46 PM

Just not this update until after you unlock.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Non potest esse nisi unus

#182 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Twitter:iBolski
  • Google+:Ivan Samuelson
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Device(s):Samsung Galaxy S7

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:15 AM

First off, Samuri, to hell with it - I'm spewing forth what is on the private Moto forums even though the moderator there asked us not to share info but who cares? This phone is EOL anyways, so I don't care if they lock me out from future soaks, but thanks for sharing the info.

Now, the latest on the Moto forums is that they are monitoring all the complaints that are coming forth from soak testers. The main issues that seem to be the top of the list are:

1. Battery life
  2. Spontaneous reboots
  3. Weak WiFi
  4. Blue Tooth issues still

The moderator on the board said that more than likely, what users would get for the OTA would be the same as the soak test, but they wanted to hold off.

Another users then stated that it sounded like the issues posted didn't warrant more investigation and so Moto was just going to release the soak as is and to heck with the issues.

The moderator posted back yesterday stating that they are not ignoring the issues being posted and they didn't want the comments to stop and more info would be forthcoming. The one-offs might not get as much attention as the issue that multiple users are experiencing (which is what I listed above), and they wanted the feedback to keep coming.

So, they still might get things fixed, but again, don't hold your breath. This could be to appease the masses in the board.

• SamuriHL, RikRong and Not_A_Dev like this

VZW Samsung Galaxy S7 Stock and unrooted running Marshmallow 46A, 32gb Nexus 7 unlocked
2cqd4t2.png

#183 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,478 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:32 AM

That simply sounds like they're not ready to push it ota but don't have much intention of fixing it to me. We'll see but it doesn't sound promising. The one thing that still confuses me is there's still no FXZ for this build. That's not normal.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

#184 7eregrine

7eregrine

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:32 AM

I won't hold my breath, but I am optimistic after reading that.

Of course, I am ALWAYS optimistic. 

Get-off-my-lawn.jpg

#185 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,478 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:51 AM

It's certainly possible they'll change the build but it seems unlikely.  Then again, the M hasn't seen any love yet, so, who know wtf Moto is doing.  LOL

#186 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:56 AM

I'll try to keep things updated. I don't have the latest soak on any more as I've gone back to CM11 since it's better than stock, at least IMHO. But, I'll keep checking the Moto private boards and update as info is released.

• Not_A_Dev likes this

VZW Samsung Galaxy S7 Stock and unrooted running Marshmallow 46A, 32gb Nexus 7 unlocked
2cqd4t2.png

#187 Board373

Board373

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Current Device(s):Motorola Razr Maxx HD

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:22 AM

I know this is not really the tread for this but since we were discussing other bugs I wanted to ask if anyone has noticed any alarm clock issues since the KK update? (I have not implemented the newest OTA update yet) My alarm will sometimes not go off but says "alarm missed" immediately after it was supposed to go off which is crazy it "sees" the alarm yet somehow ignores it. On a similar note, twice in the past 2 weeks I have noticed my phone is suddenly an hour behind (says 9am but it's really 10am). Both very weird bugs and pretty annoying considering I use it for my daily alarm clock.

Update (sort of): I occurred to me after posting this that similar weird things have happened in the past like Swiftkey not being default keyboard for me..on Tuesdays and Fridays...the same days Titanium Back-Up makes it's back-ups. Sure enough I had it backing up the alarm too so maybe something in the KK update did not play nice with TB anymore since it was fine on JB. I deleted the backup so hopefully that fixes it. I cannot attribute the weird clock setting to that unfortunately as that has happened random times in the afternoon/evenings an not on Tues/Fri...

I apologize right now if Sam doesn't want this questions in this thread, say the word and I'll remove it  :)

#188 DigiDevin

DigiDevin

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 02:07 AM

PATCHED

I actually used the Blue BlueBox app you suggested while I'm still on. .10 not .14 (soak). I use the xposed framework and there is an app listed in there that apparently patches the FakeID vulnerability. I installed the xposed app and when I ran the BlueBox scan it said that FakeID was patched. I just figured I would comment in case anybody else wanted to try the app to patch their system regardless of what version they're on. Hope this helps somebody somehow lol.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

• ibolski likes this

#189 DigiDevin

DigiDevin

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 02:08 AM

Oops just realized I replied to the wrong post it was supposed to be the one above yours I think... Sorry

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

#190 lifeasadroid

lifeasadroid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:53 AM

I know this is not really the tread for this but since we were discussing other bugs I wanted to ask if anyone has noticed any alarm clock issues since the KK update? (I have not implemented the newest OTA update yet) My alarm will sometimes not go off but says "alarm missed" immediately after it was supposed to go off which is crazy it "sees" the alarm yet somehow ignores it...

OMG I have the same thing happening to me right now!  I keep waking up late for work!  I'm on the 183.46.10 KK version (OTA).  It didn't always happen, just started about a week or two ago.  I was thinking it was some other app I was using, or some sort of "not enough RAM to make alarm go off" nonsense.  Long story short, this phone is getting very long in the tooth and needs to be put down.

... I was holding out to see what the X+1 brought to the table, but now am hearing rumors about a Moto Nexus phone/tablet in November...

#191 Board373

Board373

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:42 AM

OMG I have the same thing happening to me right now! I keep waking up late for work! I'm on the 183.46.10 KK version (OTA). It didn't always happen, just started about a week or two ago. I was thinking it was some other app I was using, or some sort of "not enough RAM to make alarm go off" nonsense. Long story short, this phone is getting very long in the tooth and needs to be put down.

... I was holding out to see what the X+1 brought to the table, but now am hearing rumors about a Moto Nexus phone/tablet in November...

Do you use Titanium Backup?

Sent from my Unlocked Rooted XT926 [DROID RAZR MAXX HD] using Tapatalk

#192 lifeasadroid

lifeasadroid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:46 PM

Do you use Titanium Backup?

Yeah, but I've been using TiBu since day 1 of unlocking (EDIT: rooting) this phone.  TiBu worked fine with the stock alarm for three months since updating to KK, All of a sudden about a week ago the alarm started acting funny.  I doubt it's TiBu related unless they released an update that I don't remember.

I may just have to look into a play store alarm app... le sigh...

#193 Board373

Board373

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:47 AM

Yeah, but I've been using TiBu since day 1 of unlocking (EDIT: rooting) this phone.  TiBu worked fine with the stock alarm for three months since updating to KK, All of a sudden about a week ago the alarm started acting funny.  I doubt it's TiBu related unless they released an update that I don't remember.

I may just have to look into a play store alarm app... le sigh...

Yeah I had waited to take the KK update until the unlock etc. I did remove the "back up" I had set on the alarm in TiBu and so far so good (only 5 days) but I will post again if it keeps happening and this didn't fix it. 

#194 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:50 AM

Yeah I had waited to take the KK update until the unlock etc. I did remove the "back up" I had set on the alarm in TiBu and so far so good (only 5 days) but I will post again if it keeps happening and this didn't fix it. 

As I think about this, isn't the stock alarm a system app? You should never really restore system app data from one ROM to a different one. So, if you had set up the alarm in stock KK and then attempted to restore it to CM11 or some other custom ROM, your mileage may vary on whether it works or not. That's why you should never restore system data unless it's going back on the same image you backed it up from. System apps differ from ROM to ROM, whereas your user apps are the same.

That might have been part of your problem.

2cqd4t2.png

#195 7eregrine

7eregrine

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:23 AM

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

I've been using this since the very first Droid. Always the first app I install. In 5 YEARS, has never, not once, failed me. Based on GB Stock. Free ad version and 99 cents for the paid one.

Not as pretty as stock but reliable and feature laden.

Get-off-my-lawn.jpg

#196 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:35 AM

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

I've been using this since the very first Droid. Always the first app I install. In 5 YEARS, has never, not once, failed me. Based on GB Stock. Free ad version and 99 cents for the paid one.

Not as pretty as stock but reliable and feature laden.

Okay. My bad. I thought it was a stock app that came with whatever phone you had.

I myself use Alarm Clock Xtreme. It's pretty nice and hasn't ever not worked for me. The free-version is good, but I liked it so much that I went ahead and paid for it as I felt it was worth it.

The free version provides a lot of functionality:

• Music alarm - choose your favorite music
  • Crescendo - gentle alarm volume that ramps up the longer you don't shut it off or snooze it
  • Random song alarm
  • Auto-snooze and auto-dismiss
  • Much more

The paid for version I believe removes ads, so I'm not sure if there is much difference, but I felt the developer deserved my hard-earned cash for such an excellent app. And no, I don't know the dev, but it's definitely a great app.

2cqd4t2.png

#197 7eregrine

7eregrine

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:23 AM

Okay. My bad. I thought it was a stock app that came with whatever phone you had.

I'm not the OP. Just chiming in on other Alarm Clock Options. OP is talking about Stock.

Alarm Clock Plus sounds exactly the same. All those features. MATH to dismiss. I think he was one of the first Clock apps in the market and many people have copied him.

I tried Timely because I wanted to try something REALLY pretty. Failed me twice in a week.

I would use Stock if it did a few things ACP does: choose your music to play and Gentle Wake which is the best feature ever. My alarm doesn't wake my wife anymore. :D

Get-off-my-lawn.jpg

#198 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:16 PM

Just to let you know, a select number of soak testers (not me) are getting a new update pushed to them. Once they confirm everything looks good, they'll push it out to everyone else. So it looks like they have updated the soak. Let's hope this fixes the wifi, blue tooth and battery issues. Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
  • MahoVader, cmh714, RikRong and 2 others like this

2cqd4t2.png

#199 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,478 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:20 PM

Fascinating.  Let's see if we can find an FXZ for it.

• Board373 likes this

#200 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:41 AM

Okay, here is what is in the latest "fix" for the soak. Don't get too excited:

Yes there are some changes included in this update. Based on our investigation battery drain it

[sic] not a result of the update but rather various apps interactions with the latest software. Numerous people have found that doing a reset of their phone has improve[sic] their battery life. As I've mentioned before battery life may be some what diminished in comparison to Jelly Bean because KitKat allows the phone to run faster thus consuming battery a little quicker. Some users have noted improved battery life following the upgrade to KitKat. I am not aware of any battery tweaks in this revision. Most notably this update includes security fixes included with 4.4.4 and some messaging improvements. I'm not sure what specific text message issues you speak of.

I don't understand his sentence about 4.4.4 security fixes. Those were already included in the soak, so not sure why he's saying this for the update to the soak. I left a message on the private forums asking him to clarify this some more, and also if this patch addresses the wifi and bluetooth issue.

As for battery life, that's it folks. It is what it is, whether his explanation is bull-cocky or not. I myself have not seen degradation in my battery life coming from JB to KK except when an app decides to go rogue on me. For me, Greenify seems to cure that issue.

2cqd4t2.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users