• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Twitter:iBolski
  • Google+:Ivan Samuelson
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Device(s):Samsung Galaxy S7

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:43 AM

What's up my man, what's the good word on this, or has there been no change in info on the soak boards since last week?

They've pushed it out to the rest of the soak testers and I thought I read one person receiving it in this forum, but I could be wrong.

It appears they still haven't pushed it out. People are still complaining about issues with random reboots and blue-tooth issues, although a lot of BT issues seems to be when people switch to ART.

So far, I've gone back to stock from CM11 (battery wasn't working as great and there were some other issues such as Google Play movies issues, gps issues, and voice quality issues on calls) and so far, the stock seems pretty darned stable. WiFi is still an issue, but it's not as bad as it was before, but still nowhere near what we had under JB.

I guess we still wait and see what Moto is going to do. I guess we can at least assume they are trying to ensure this final OTA works as best as possible, hence no official push of the OTA and no FXZ.

• SamuriHL and lifeasadroid like this

VZW Samsung Galaxy S7 Stock and unrooted running Marshmallow 46A, 32gb Nexus 7 unlocked
2cqd4t2.png

#222 lifeasadroid

lifeasadroid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:53 AM

They've pushed it out to the rest of the soak testers and I thought I read one person receiving it in this forum, but I could be wrong.

It appears they still haven't pushed it out. People are still complaining about issues with random reboots and blue-tooth issues, although a lot of BT issues seems to be when people switch to ART.

So far, I've gone back to stock from CM11 (battery wasn't working as great and there were some other issues such as Google Play movies issues, gps issues, and voice quality issues on calls) and so far, the stock seems pretty darned stable. WiFi is still an issue, but it's not as bad as it was before, but still nowhere near what we had under JB.

I guess we still wait and see what Moto is going to do. I guess we can at least assume they are trying to ensure this final OTA works as best as possible, hence no official push of the OTA and no FXZ.

Thanks dude.  I'm still on the 183.42.10 build, is it worth my time going to the .14 or the .15 patch that are posted by @SamuriHL in the OP?  Was there any benefit to the Razr HD or just more headaches?  I'm aware of the aforementioned bluetooth and wifi (neither of which I use) and the bootloader exploit being shut down (I'm already unlocked), curious about other issues or fixes (random reboots, snappier functionality, "that random popping noise fixed", etc.)

#223 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:56 AM

Thanks dude.  I'm still on the 183.42.10 build, is it worth my time going to the .14 or the .15 patch that are posted by @SamuriHL in the OP?  Was there any benefit to the Razr HD or just more headaches?  I'm aware of the aforementioned bluetooth and wifi (neither of which I use) and the bootloader exploit being shut down (I'm already unlocked), curious about other issues or fixes (random reboots, snappier functionality, "that random popping noise fixed", etc.)

Seems to have a little more stability and there seems to be a better success rate with Blue-tooth over the original KK update, but again, your mileage may vary.

• lifeasadroid likes this

VZW Samsung Galaxy S7 Stock and unrooted running Marshmallow 46A, 32gb Nexus 7 unlocked
2cqd4t2.png

#224 7eregrine

7eregrine

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:44 AM

I think the popping was fixed in that last "mini patch".

Not sure as I went to CM11 and it is fixed there.

Get-off-my-lawn.jpg

#225 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:02 AM

I think the popping was fixed in that last "mini patch".

Not sure as I went to CM11 and it is fixed there.

Not completely. It's still there, just not as pronounced in the patch as it was in the original OTA.

Definitely fixed in CM11 though.

2cqd4t2.png

#226 7eregrine

7eregrine

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:28 AM

I gave up last night and went back to stock Jelly Bean for now. My phone was just about unusable on every KK Rom and stock at my house (WiFi issues).

Totally fine now.

#Happy

• Not_A_Dev likes this
Get-off-my-lawn.jpg

#227 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,479 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:36 AM

That's the power of an unlocked bootloader right there, boys and girls.  :)

• ibolski and sspartan like this

Non potest esse nisi unus

#228 XE_Nerd

XE_Nerd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Current Device(s):DROID RAZR HD, HTC Rezound

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:27 PM

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

"Hey guys, wanted to give you an update on where we are on getting KitKat out on RAZR HD. Over the next couple of weeks we are going to start our soak testing globally. Hopefully all goes well and we can start the full push to everyone. This will be KitKat 4.4.2 with the key security patches from 4.4.3 and 4.4.4."

Posted Here----> 

• ibolski likes this

#229 7eregrine

7eregrine

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 04:42 AM

A few more weeks? Before the Soak?

*sigh...

Get-off-my-lawn.jpg

#230 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:46 AM

A few more weeks? Before the Soak?
*sigh...

At least they are trying to release something that works. This is the final OTA for this phone. No more updates. Rather than sighing about it, be grateful they are trying to fix this issue. In fact, after the KK OTA, they could have stopped, but they didn't.

Of course, I wonder how much of that was driven by the fact that they reintroduced the bootloader unlock exploit? But, they are also including the security fixes that are present in 4.4.3 and 4.4.4, including the FakeID patch, which is a major exploit.

Hopefully, they can fix the WiFi and other radio issues as well.

2cqd4t2.png

#231 7eregrine

7eregrine

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 07:40 AM

At least they are trying to release something that works. This is the final OTA for this phone. No more updates. Rather than sighing about it, be grateful they are trying to fix this issue. In fact, after the KK OTA, they could have stopped, but they didn't.

*Sigh. *sigh. *sigh.

I refuse to be as forgiving as you are. Sorry.

They ruined this phone. They GD well better try and fix it. Can you imagine if they DIDN'T fix it? How many current owners would EVER consider a Motorola? You cannot afford to piss off consumers in this highly competitive space.

I support, among many other things, all the phones at my job. 6 of them happen to be Razrs. 1 Maxx, 4 M, and my HD. 

Razr1: Started getting very hot after KK update. User complained about really bad battery life. One day it got hot and shut off. Wouldn't come back on. User went to VZW and they issued a warranty replacement. Replacement had JB. She kept denying the update. Slipped and hit it. Got the update. WiFi and Battery went to $#!+. 

Result: user upgraded to the S5.

Razr2: Attorney, heavy email/phone user. After update called me constantly "My battery can't even make it to NOON! This is unacceptable! Get rid of this update!". Sorry. Can't! (Not rooting her phone)

Result: user switched to a spare iPhone4 that I had.

Razr3: Newest one. Checked with her every few days. Any problems? Nope. Nope. Nope. Cool, one with no issues.

A couple weeks ago... "My battery just won't get through a whole day anymore...."

She's willing to wait it out.

2 lost Moto Customers.

Razr HD: Mine.

WiFi, Battery, Blahblahbla. Rooted and yadda. So non issue, although if my contract WAS up TODAY I would probably bail on Moto for Sammy. And I am a Moto Fan...

The ONLY user to not complain? The Razr Maxx. Also probably the least used one. The least tech savvy guy anyway (probably doesn't use WiFi much).

And by the time this update comes out it will have been more then 2 months... Sorry. Even this Moto Fanboi is finding hard to keep the faith.

We ALL would have been happier (except maybe Maxx guy) to just stay on JB...

Get-off-my-lawn.jpg

#232 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,479 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 07:55 AM

Let me tell you right now as a Samsung owner myself, the grass is most assuredly NOT greener on the other side of the fence.  It's a fallacy, and a big one, to think that "jumping ship" is going to solve all your problems.  It won't.  It will solve some and give you different problems to complain about in the process.  You've apparently never had the pleasure of dealing with KNOX or Touchwiz.  All phones are a compromise.  Maybe you'd like a Samsung phone better, maybe you wouldn't.  You can't know for sure until you're using it the same way you currently use the Moto phone.  I can also tell you that no company is going to lose sleep over a handful of lost customers who are mad about an end of life phone.  You say you'd all be happier if they never delivered kitkat.  I call BS.  You'd all be mad that they didn't put out one last update (because had they not done so you'd only know that you don't have the latest, not how it'd run on the current hardware).  You see the problem they're left with?  There's NO POSSIBLE WAY for them to please everyone.  Damned if they do, uber damned if they don't.  This is the problem with updates and why they only guarantee 18 months worth of them...you never know how a new version of Android is going to react on different hardware.  I'm not defending them...they should be trying to fix the issues, but, I am giving you more perspective on your stance that you'd be so much happier if you jump ship to a new company.

#233 7eregrine

7eregrine

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:35 AM

No where did I claim Samsung is the promised land. But I speak with my dollars. Period. I don't continue to support a company that continues to disappoint me*. It's why I left HTC to come back to Moto.

No company wants to lose customers. If Moto didn't at least care a little about customers they WOULD cease trying to fix our broken phones. Sure, customer attrition is a fact of business, but most (good) companeis will do anything to keep that number low.

As for "clamoring for updates" you will not ever find a post from me anywhere clamoring for a new update. Yea...I wanted JB... and Moto delivered... because I use Google Now a lot. I realize you were probably speaking generally and not lumping me into those people (that annoy me) that always cry for the newest update even when they have no clue what the new update provides... can't even name ONE feature they want.

That's not me. Never was until ICS was released (and HTC promised my phone would get it but then reneged). I only wanted that because my Time Warner app did not work on GB.

Why I LIKE Samsung? Why I would switch today? Replaceable battery/stellar camera/SD Card slot. That's it.

*Although to be 100% honest here... I seriously might buy the MotoX2. I am in love with the MotoX. I support 3 of those and they are rock solid phones.

I'll tell you one thing: If I ran any of these companies, my brand loyalty would be higher then Apple's. ;)

Get-off-my-lawn.jpg

#234 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,479 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:08 AM

No I was not speaking of you personally when I was talking about clamoring for updates.  But let's be honest, if they left the phones on JB the argument from a LOT of people would go like this:

"Moto sucks.  They refuse to support their phones.  Even the OMAP phones are on JB.  We deserve to get KK".

You may not be in that category, but you can't argue that a large majority WOULD be.  When Moto sets out to bring a new version to a particular hardware platform, it's impossible to know all the variables ahead of time.  Battery life, wifi issues, bt issues, etc....impossible to calculate up front.  And if after discovering all those issues they said "we've determined the hardware is incompatible with the user experience we're trying to bring to our phones" and decided to withhold releasing it?  See above moto sucks commentary.

In any case, I wasn't referring to you specifically when I made the comment about not releasing KK and the uproar that would ensue.

As for Samsung...it's better in some ways, worse in others.  Not much beats my S4 GPE, including the X.  But a carrier branded S4?  I follow enough of the threads to know that they are troublesome.  Obviously you'd be looking at the S5 which appears to be even more locked down.  I don't believe the current version can be rooted.  Forget about unlocking the thing.

Personally, I go for the most open device with community support.  A dev edition X....nice phone.  The new one should be nice, too.

#235 7eregrine

7eregrine

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:20 AM

No I was not speaking of you personally when I was talking about clamoring for updates.  But let's be honest, if they left the phones on JB the argument from a LOT of people would go like this:

"Moto sucks.  They refuse to support their phones.  Even the OMAP phones are on JB.  We deserve to get KK".

I won't argue that even a little bit. I can't begin to tell you how many times someone will say "will this phone get *insert update here*" I always reply: Why? What feature of *** are you just dying to have???

They never have an answer.

:D

Get-off-my-lawn.jpg

#236 7eregrine

7eregrine

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:48 AM

Poking around the Moto forums. More lost customers.

At least someone from Moto is talking to us.

Re: BT + WiFi issue

Aztechnyc-

Yes, we're working on an update for this issue. For the time being you either need to turn off your Bluetooth Low Energy device like a FitBit or default wifi networks to 2.4 GHz 5GHz only.

Mark
Forums Manager

Random tidbits:

We're anxiously waiting to get the fix out to everyone.

We'll push it as soon as the software is approved. There were some unexpected security fixes that backed up some of the updates so the delay was unexpected. I know the word is soon is vague. I don't personally like using it but I can't give you an exact date as it isn't something I can control. I'm not going to give you a date that I can't meet. We tend to get PitchFork mobs if we miss a date. Go look back in 2010 so we try not to do that.

Timeframe isn't however fully up to us. We have standard processes and business partners with which we work closely with them to ensure that updates are approved and released as timely as possible. Time frame speaking, "soon" is the best I have right now.

(Sounds like VZW might be holding things up)

Get-off-my-lawn.jpg

#237 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,479 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:45 PM

Nooooo, not VZW!  :D  /sarcasm :D

#238 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 04 September 2014 - 03:10 AM

*Sigh. *sigh. *sigh.
I refuse to be as forgiving as you are. Sorry.
They ruined this phone. They GD well better try and fix it. Can you imagine if they DIDN'T fix it? How many current owners would EVER consider a Motorola? You cannot afford to piss off consumers in this highly competitive space.

And by the time this update comes out it will have been more then 2 months... Sorry. Even this Moto Fanboi is finding hard to keep the faith.

We ALL would have been happier (except maybe Maxx guy) to just stay on JB...

No biggie, but I look at it that they are trying to fix it and for that, if it takes a few months to get it fixed, so be it. That's better than rushing something out just to meet the deadline. In fact, they could just so forget it at this point, but since the KK update came out within the 18-month window they gave, it's nice to see they are still honoring that, unlike HTC as you stated earlier.

They are trying to fix it. I'm part of the soak and the latest is that they are getting ready to do a full soak, read push the OTA out to everyone. We'll see where that goes.

2cqd4t2.png

#239 Almighty1

Almighty1

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Google+:vincepoy@gmail.com
  • LocationSan Francisco, California USA
  • Current Device(s):Motorola RAZR HD MAXX

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:11 AM

I have a question just out of curiosity, I am already on 183.46.10 stock rooted by basically taking my Droid RAZR HD Maxx XT926 which was unlocked since JB and going with 183.46.10 stock, applying TWRM and flashing SuperSU 1.99 zip in TWRM.  My question is if I went with either 183.46.14 or 183.46.15, can I actually get back to 183.46.10 using RSDFlasher 2.8 with RSDLite 6.1.6 with the stock 183.46.10 by keeping data?  One of the issues I am having is the mobile radio seems to have a lot worse signal in both 182.46.10 and 183.46.10 compared to JB 4.1.2 as it keeps losing the signal or going offline.  

#240 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,479 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:22 AM

Just flash the radio.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users