324 replies to this topic

#161 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,479 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:24 AM

Going by your logic, then why not just stop at JB?

It came with ICS. They gave us JB. All I really expect from a Carrier Phone is one solid update. Would have been OK with that. JB was good. And it probably would have gotten me to upgrade FASTER to get KK on a good phone.

But they rolled out KK... 

Why give an EOL phone KK? They "poured" money in.

(I bet it's just one guy working on it...lol)

Because KK came out within the 18 month window.  You are now outside that window.  I'd personally not pour any more money into it.  They only "guarantee" updates for 18 months.  After that it's up to their discretion.

Non potest esse nisi unus

#162 7eregrine

7eregrine

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:26 AM

I am not "outside" that Window. The RAZR HD was released in September 2012.

/edit/ Oh.. 18. I saw that and read "24".

Get-off-my-lawn.jpg

#163 7eregrine

7eregrine

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:28 AM

And actually KK was released BEYOND the 18 month windows which would have been March 2014.

Get-off-my-lawn.jpg

#164 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,479 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:31 AM

Are you TRYING to argue for any particular reason today?  The android version of KK was released inside the window.  Which means they started working on the build within the 18 month life cycle of the phone.  They didn't release the actual build for the phone until after the 18 month life cycle but as I said before, that's at their discretion.  Given the seriousness of the security vulnerabilities they had with JB, it was the right call to push 4.4.2.

#165 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:44 PM

just a master debater..... ;)

#166 7eregrine

7eregrine

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:24 AM

Are you TRYING to argue for any particular reason today? 

*sigh*

Just having a DISCUSSION. I thought this was a discussion board???

Maybe I'm in the wrong place.

;)

Get-off-my-lawn.jpg

#167 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Twitter:iBolski
  • Google+:Ivan Samuelson
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Device(s):Samsung Galaxy S7

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:08 AM

I'd be curious (I'm not going to flash back to stock - I'm done with it and I'm sticking with CM11) if this latest soak (which is supposed to include 4.4.4 security patches) addresses the FakeID security exploit?

I tested the following app (

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

) on both my 2012 Nexus 7 running stock 4.4.4 and my Razr HD running CM11 7/29 nightly.

Both devices are patched for the Masterkey exploit, but only the XT926 had the patch for the FakeID flaw, which coincides with what this article stated (

) which is that AOSP has already been patched, so that seems to jive with what I'm seeing in CM11.

If someone is currently on the latest soak build right now, could you install the app linked above (it's safe - its from Bluebox who discovered these flaws) and it will tell you if you have the flaw or not. I would like to see if Motorola fixed it or not.

Be all the more reason to unlock your phone now and get off of stock if it isn't.

VZW Samsung Galaxy S7 Stock and unrooted running Marshmallow 46A, 32gb Nexus 7 unlocked
2cqd4t2.png

#168 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,479 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:43 AM

Back to the topic that's been driving me nuts since this soak was let loose, I have it on anonymous authority that this will be the final build and will *PROBABLY* go OTA in a few weeks.  Yes, you read that correctly, weeks, not days.  Very disappointing news, I know.  As always, things could change between now and then, but, I'm fairly confident this information is accurate as of now.

#169 7eregrine

7eregrine

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:07 AM

If someone is currently on the latest soak build right now, could you install the app linked above (it's safe - its from Bluebox who discovered these flaws) and it will tell you if you have the flaw or not. I would like to see if Motorola fixed it or not.

PATCHED

• ibolski and SamuriHL like this
Get-off-my-lawn.jpg

#170 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,479 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:30 AM

That's a very good thing.  So you guys basically have 4.4.4 it's just named 4.4.2 still.  Probably not to piss off VZW.  ;)  "no no, it's a maintenance release not a new version!"  LMAO!  :D

#171 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Twitter:iBolski
  • Google+:Ivan Samuelson
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Device(s):Samsung Galaxy S7

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:47 AM

PATCHED

That's good to know. Thanks for checking for us. I'm still going to stay in cm11, but glad to see they did indeed include the 4.4.4 security patches.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

VZW Samsung Galaxy S7 Stock and unrooted running Marshmallow 46A, 32gb Nexus 7 unlocked
2cqd4t2.png

#172 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 7

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:25 PM

NVM

R. Long: Pixel 5

#173 Not_A_Dev

Not_A_Dev

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Current Device(s):Motorola Droid Razr HD Maxx

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:10 PM

... will *PROBABLY* go OTA in a few weeks.  Yes, you read that correctly, weeks, not days...

which leads me to believe that the scope of this OTA probably goes beyond the patching of root and BL unlock. I'm still hopeful that they will fix the battery issue, and a whole host of other little pests that were introduced by KK.

#174 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,479 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:27 PM

If you installed this build and it's not fixed, it ain't going to be.  That was the point I was trying to drive home.

#175 Not_A_Dev

Not_A_Dev

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Current Device(s):Motorola Droid Razr HD Maxx

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:38 PM

If you installed this build and it's not fixed, it ain't going to be.  That was the point I was trying to drive home.

No actually I haven't, because I'm on a ROM. But my wife's device is on stock 4.4.2 and I haven't installed the latest soak OTA for her yet, because I was hoping Moto would release a final version that's different (better) from the one iBolski graciously made available.

#176 stackrat

stackrat

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationKentucky
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR MAXX HD

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:43 PM

Stupid question: I haven't seen exactly what I'm looking for in this thread, so I'll ask.

I'm still on JB 9.30.1. Can I unlock/root or have I missed my window of opportunity?

#177 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:47 PM

Stupid question: I haven't seen exactly what I'm looking for in this thread, so I'll ask.

I'm still on JB 9.30.1. Can I unlock/root or have I missed my window of opportunity?

Follow the OP here -

[ROOT/UNLOCK]-4.4.2-182/183-RAZR-HD/M-*ONLY*
[ROOT/UNLOCK] 4.4.2 182/183 RAZR HD/M *ONLY*

sent from my G3

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#178 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,479 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:48 PM

That would be because this thread has absolutely nothing at all to do with that topic.

Perhaps the one that says unlock/root would be more appropriate.

#179 stackrat

stackrat

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationKentucky
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR MAXX HD

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:33 PM

Sorry I wasn't clear. I'm locked and rooted on 9.30.1 with the updater frozen. Can I still update to KK, unlock the bootloader, etc.? Looks like I can. Thank you!

#180 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,479 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:45 PM

Yes.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users