#121 Nanniepoo

Nanniepoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationDetroit, MI
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:37 AM

First off I'm a huge supporter of taking responsibility for your actions. You mess up your phone from modding, don't take it back for warranty, it's fraud.

Secondly...I must be reading this differently then everyone else, but in regards to people flaming yuck.fou, to me it sounds like he bought an already rooted phone without realizing it. If you bought a certified Moto refurb second hand, then yes you can have beef with Moto. If you bought it on ebay/craigslist/guy on the street, then no. If I buy a modded car and the engine blows up the next day I have no right to get yell at Ford/GM/etc. My issue should be with the person I bought it from.

Thirdly, @jmonroe you can cause permanent damage from rooting, so your argument is flawed. But the people who are already responding to you know more than I do, so I'll leave it at that. Except to say it doesn't matter at all what you think, it's written into your contract. You could argue all day that turning your phone sideways isn't permanent, but if you signed a contract that says doing so voids your warranty, you have no support for your argument.

#122 STiK

STiK

STiK in the Mud

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA
  • Current Device(s):LG Nexus 4

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:50 AM

Guess the legal question here would be does placing an su binary in /system/bin alter the hardware/software in any way? I personally know someone who was billed for replacing a device that was found to be altered when they went to refurbish the phone so yes it does happen.

#123 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:57 AM

The simple act of rooting alone, voids the warranty on ANY Android device and I'm not going to let someone spread bad information to other users.

If you do root your device, mess it up, unroot, then take it back to Verizon, you are also committing warranty fraud.

#124 Guest_DirtyDroidX_*

Guest_DirtyDroidX_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:41 AM

i reopened this thread .eveeyone needs to get along and continue to speak there opinions in a respectfull manor.

#125 shizumie

shizumie

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Google+:shizumie@gmail.com
  • LocationHortens, Ga
  • Current Device(s):DNA

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:03 AM

Ok hear ya go.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

This is a moto pdf on warranty. Hear is pic of page 5. Clearly states several places any software tampering voids warranty. Hear is says rooting voids warranty. If you cant see pic then just download pdf or go to

And scroll down to pdf.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Posted Image

#126 shizumie

shizumie

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Google+:shizumie@gmail.com
  • LocationHortens, Ga
  • Current Device(s):DNA

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:04 AM

Pic of pg 5

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Posted Image

#127 Nanniepoo

Nanniepoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationDetroit, MI

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:08 AM

Just a couple bullets from the VZW customer agreement:

Regarding the SIM card, and possibly the mysterious toolkit app: "By activating Service that uses a SIM (Subscriber Identity Module) card, you agree we own the intellectual property and software in the SIM card, that we may change the software or other data in the SIM card remotely and without notice, and we may utilize any capacity in the SIM card for administrative, network, business and/or commercial purposes."

From Moto's warranty page under exclusions: "Unauthorized Service or Modification. Defects or damage resulting from service, testing, adjustment, installation, maintenance, alteration, or modification in any way, including but not limited to tampering with or altering the software, by someone other than Motorola, or its authorized service centers, are excluded from coverage. Notwithstanding the foregoing, any Product which has had its bootloader unlocked, or whose operating system has been altered, including any failed attempts to unlock the bootloader or alter such operating system, is not covered by this warranty, regardless of whether such modifications are authorized, approved, or otherwise sanctioned by Motorola."

So, my understanding is rooting is indeed altering the operating system. It does not say if altered, but returned to stock, it is then covered. It says, basically, if it has been altered (past tense) at any time then the phone is not covered under warranty.

#128 Nanniepoo

Nanniepoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationDetroit, MI

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:44 AM

And the post was deleted....but jmonroe mentioned that rooting is not permanent, as we have our great safety nets like RSD and Matt's Utility. While most likely the software changes are not permanent (which is a moot point), root access allows us greater access to a lot of the hardware components, which can be permanently damaged. Overclocking and eFuse to throw out the obvious risks. So no matter where people's morals/ethics are...damaging your phone, whether or not you can return to stock, and attempting to get it replaced under warranty is fraud.

And, with all due respect, if someone thinks they're entitled to a new phone after screwing it up....Moto has been in the phone business for years. They factor in the number of expected warranty replacements/repairs into the cost of their phones so they can continue to make money. So each and every one of us that has bought a phone has thrown money into the pot for people who are bricking their phones, or causing other issues, to go get a new phone for free. And it's that fact (granted it is a small percentage of what we pay) that bugs me the most about this subject. Considering most of us don't even donate to the devs who's hard work we profit from, you're screwing them over even more by taking money out of their pockets to go get yourself a new phone (most likely because you were too lazy to read the OP).

*** "you" used in it's generic, all encompassing, er'rybody form and not targeted at any particular individual. That is all.

#129 Guest_jwmonroe0914_*

Guest_jwmonroe0914_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:52 AM

And the post was deleted....but jmonroe mentioned that rooting is not permanent, as we have our great safety nets like RSD and Matt's Utility. While most likely the software changes are not permanent (which is a moot point), root access allows us greater access to a lot of the hardware components, which can be permanently damaged. Overclocking and eFuse to throw out the obvious risks. So no matter where people's morals/ethics are...damaging your phone, whether or not you can return to stock, and attempting to get it replaced under warranty is fraud.

Yes, unfortunately spc_hicks09 (moderator) removed most of my posts because i bruised his ego, in regards to the rest, you are completely correct. I wasn't sanctioning damaging your phone because you rooted in and modded it to the point of physical damage, and then unrooting simply to have a warranty replacement. I thought I made that clear, but if not, I apologize. NO ONE should be unrooting to be covered under warranty because they caused damage through rooting. That's abhorrent, period; and is not the purpose of any of my comments.

Majority of people who root are a very small percentage and an even smaller percentage of those do detrimental damage to the hardware under root... and those that do generally aren't going to unroot to get the phone covered; they're going to go out and buy a new one. If you root your phone, and at some point later have hardware damage from something that could never have been caused by something you did, like say your flash stops working, or bluetooth clarity is degraded, etc. when you haven't modified anything that's relevant to those, then what's wrong about unrooting if after searching forums for an answer there is none?

When I first rooted, and for about a year afterwards, I only rooted to be able to disable startup apps because it's a drain on battery life and to lower the res on my phone to 185. I know a lot of users who simply root just to do the former, and do nothing else. This isn't true for everyone obviously, but rooting isn't running custom kernels, or roms, or screwing with system files. Rooting is giving you admin control, just as an admin account, or run as adminstrator, would in windows. Rooting in and of itself does no damage to the phone... it's what people do to mod the phone afterwards that can cause problems, and this is the point I have been trying to make and that I just assumed people would get. I apologize for not explaining my position better, I just thought people would read between the lines and understand.

Also, nowhere in Moto's warranty for the RAZR/MAXX does it say that rooting in and of itself voids the warranty. What Moto does say is this...

The warranty does not apply to:

(f)
A product or part that has been modified in any manner without the written permission of Motorola. Products that have been altered in any manner so as to prevent Motorola from determining whether such Products are covered under the terms of this Limited Warranty are excluded from coverage. The forgoing shall include but not be limited to (i) serial numbers, date tags or other manufacturer coding that has been removed, altered or obliterated; (ii) mismatched or duplicated serial numbers; or (iii) broken seals or other evidence of tampering

And rooting is only mentioned once in the entire warranty, which is as follows:

WARNING AGAINST UNLOCKING THE BOOTLOADER OR ALTERING A PRODUCT’S OPERATING SYSTEM SOFTWARE: MOTOROLA STRONGLY RECOMMENDS AGAINST ALTERING A PRODUCT'S OPERATING SYSTEM, WHICH INCLUDES UNLOCKING THE BOOTLOADER, ROOTING A DEVICE OR RUNNING ANY OPERATING SOFTWARE OTHER THAN THE APPROVED VERSIONS ISSUED BY MOTOROLA AND ITS PARTNERS. SUCH ALTERATIONS MAY PERMANENTLY DAMAGE YOUR PRODUCT, CAUSE YOUR PRODUCT TO BE UNSAFE AND/OR CAUSE YOUR PRODUCT TO MALFUNCTION.IN SUCH CASES, NEITHER THE PRODUCT NOR ANY DAMAGE RESULTING THEREFROM WILL BE COVERED BY THIS WARRANTY.

So in essence, part f applies only to hardware, which is a product or part. Software is generally not identified as either.

The warning at the bottom of the warranty is just that, a warning. No where in the warranty does it state that rooting in and of itself voids the warranty, and this has been my point since I first commented in this forum. It's not about me being right, or you (in generalized sense) being right, or even the purple people eater being right. It's about what the facts are and providing those facts so that consumers and users can make informed decisions.

However, with that being said, what this warning does say is very clear. If you root your phone AND you cause permanent damage to your phone, cause your phone to be unsafe, and/or cause your phone to malfunction, then in THOSE CASES neither the product, nor any damage resulting therefrom, will be covered by warranty.

Rooting, in and of itself, has never caused damage to a phone (that I'm aware of at least... I could be wrong on this), therefore rooting does not void your warranty.

**EDIT**
However, for those of you who still think I'm passing along MISINFORMATION to all these forum members EVEN AFTER READING THIS POST (eraursls84, spc_hicks09, and others), then please, do yourselves a favor and enlighten yourselves through a link Nanniepoo provided, which covers Motorola's warranty in it's entirety via another member on this forum who goes through their warranty section by section, tucstwo.

#130 eraursls84

eraursls84

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:57 AM

Yes, unfortunately spc_hicks09 (moderator) removed most of my posts because i bruised his ego.

Your posts were removed so no one reads that misinformation.

#131 Guest_jwmonroe0914_*

Guest_jwmonroe0914_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:26 AM

Your posts were removed so no one reads that misinformation.

That's not the reason why they were removed, and is also why they're being added back by an Admin at some point today.

Also, none of my posts contained misinformation, and if you have read the previous post, you would know that. If they did contain misinformation, however, please inform me of what, with links and/or attachments, to show I was wrong; and I will edit or delete them when they're added back. Because thus far, all I've seen are a lot of opinions about what people think are the facts with no one, except me thus far in the post above, providing attachments and proof to show I was stating the facts.

**EDIT** It should also be stated to you, and everyone else, that even if a member does post misinformation, that doesn't give any moderator the right to remove those posts, unless they violate "Forum Rules and Guidelines". Unless I'm mistaken, we're a country founded upon free speech, that these forums are set up for people to exercise their free speech, and it is highly inappropriate, not to mention abhorrent, for a moderator with a bruised ego to delete said posts of free speech simply because said moderator does not agree with them. Unless posts by members violate forum rules and guidelines, then no moderator or administrator has a right to remove said posts, unless I'm missing something in the "Forum Rules and Regulations". Just because your opinion is it's misinformation does't make it misinformation. Hitler, Stalin, they thought the same thing, just as every dictator throughout the world has.

#132 Nanniepoo

Nanniepoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationDetroit, MI

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:41 AM

Yup. Totally agree with your most recent posts. There's also this thread that is well worded:

But yeah you can't assume people will read between the lines at all. There's still people who can't figure out how to download a .crc file, when the answer was posted just a few posts prior. People don't read, let alone between the lines. I think that's why the posts were removed, as people would take what you were saying word for word and assume they could root, fry their processor, unroot (okay you wouldn't be able to turn the phone on haha) and take it back for warranty. Or root to flash .84, unroot, and take it in to VZW and say but I'm not currently rooted! It's still under warranty!! Then you also have the geniuses who will take other means to damage their phones so that VZW can't turn it on to tell it was rooted.

#133 Guest_jwmonroe0914_*

Guest_jwmonroe0914_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:53 AM

Yup. Totally agree with your most recent posts. There's also this thread that is well worded:

But yeah you can't assume people will read between the lines at all. There's still people who can't figure out how to download a .crc file, when the answer was posted just a few posts prior. People don't read, let alone between the lines. I think that's why the posts were removed, as people would take what you were saying word for word and assume they could root, fry their processor, unroot (okay you wouldn't be able to turn the phone on haha) and take it back for warranty. Or root to flash .84, unroot, and take it in to VZW and say but I'm not currently rooted! It's still under warranty!! Then you also have the geniuses who will take other means to damage their phones so that VZW can't turn it on to tell it was rooted.

I agree, people should be aware of the risks and not think it's okay for verizon or moto to pick up the tab when they've damaged the phone from not knowing what they're doing. I still haven't tried to overclock my processor because I don't know everything there is to know about it yet. If you do a major mod like that, then you should already know if you fry it, it's your fault and to go buy a new phone... not stick it to verizon to cover the 650 piece of equipment you just fried.

The only reason I originally commented here was to say rooting doesn't void your warranty, because it doesn't. Moto says it doesn't plain as day. Yet everybody keeps passing the same statement around "rooting voids your warranty", so people hear it enough times and they assume it must be true without ever actually reading the warranty terms. It's why I mentioned earlier that people take what they hear from VZW/Moto and run with it, never stopping to actually take the time to fact check what they've been told.

#134 Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd

Freak on a Leash

• Administrator
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWindy City
  • Current Device(s):x13 Dev Ed & x14 Pure Ed & Droid Turbo

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:03 PM

if rooting doesn't void it tell that to the folks who have been hit with full retail charge backs after returning a device for a valid hardware warranty issue. On top of that why is it that VZW sales reps log a customers account for device rooting so no warranty claims can be processed on said device if you go into a store and they see it is rooted.

Edit: and before i have to hear it I have family who works for both companies and know the inside info not the garbage fine print they want us to read.

#135 eraursls84

eraursls84

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:11 PM

if rooting doesn't void it tell that to the folks who have been hit with full retail charge backs after returning a device for a valid hardware warranty issue. On top of that why is it that VZW sales reps log a customers account for device rooting so no warranty claims can be processed on said device if you go into a store and they see it is rooted.

I was scarred to root my Droid X almost two years ago because I read Verizons offical statement saying rooting voided the warranty, it took me three weeks before I rooted the X because of that.

#136 Guest_jwmonroe0914_*

Guest_jwmonroe0914_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:27 PM

Edit: and before i have to hear it I have family who works for both companies and know the inside info not the garbage fine print they want us to read.

I'm gonna say this and then I'm done with this forum...

You can have whatever opinion you want, but that doesn't make it a fact. So believe what you want to believe, because either people have simply chosen to not read, or can't read. Either way, I'm not going to waste any more of my time trying to talk to people on this forum who don't know how to read, or choose to not do it.

Not only did I break this down and ATTACH Motorola's Warranty, from their website (which you can get yourself by simply going there), I also reference the link Nanniepoo informed of that goes to a forum started and written by tucstwo, which goes into much, much greater detail than I did which REALLY clears this up if my post didn't.

Seeming as your response shows that you didn't read not only my post or Motorola's Warranty, but you didn't read tucstwo's either. Since you didn't bother reading any of the three, then your opinion is moot because you're basing your opinion not on fact, but on yours and your family members opinions. Your family memberrs are probably awesome employees, but obviously they, as well as you, have never read the warranty, because if they, or you, had, they wouldn't have the opinion they, or you, have.

And for folks that got hit with chargebacks, that's on them for not educating themselves and knowing not only what their rights are and what the warranty says, but also what their contract says, Where does the personal responsibility come in? Ya, Verizon is going to try and screw you out of every dime they can, it's just a fact of life. Thats why the consumer needs to take the personal responsibilty and inform themselves. So whereas I do feel bad for them, I also don't know the specifics and whether they fell within provisions in the warranty.

It is YOUR job as a consumer to not only know, but stand up for, YOUR rights; not someone else's job to know them and stand up for them. So if this bothers you, then file (and tell others to file) an FCC complaint. You'll generally get a response fairly quickly from Verizon.

#137 iDroidGuy

iDroidGuy

:D Taco!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Twitter:iDroidGuy
  • Google+:Stephen Wilmot-Doxey
  • LocationHopewell, VA

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:31 PM

Blah

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
If you'd like to buy me a Mountain Dew just PM me for my PayPal info. Thanks :)

working to provide the best assistance to you and the entire droid razr community improve!

#138 iDroidGuy

iDroidGuy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • LocationHopewell, VA

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:32 PM

Taco

working to provide the best assistance to you and the entire droid razr community improve!

#139 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:34 PM

Taco

Bell

#140 iDroidGuy

iDroidGuy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • LocationHopewell, VA

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:37 PM

Bell

It was in the wrong thread so I had to edit it lmfao

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users