156 replies to this topic

#101 leviwg

leviwg

News Writer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:42 AM

there is an app on the market that checked your root. i messed with it to check the accuracy and even with custom roms, the app did detect whether i had root or not. If this is true, moto could have installed a base app or file that can do this. but it would have to send data, and if you monitor this with droidwall, i would download the app, put it on airplane mode, then root the device and set droidwall to block everything but what you want. turn off airplane mode and then the app can never tell moto that the phone is rooted.
a what? an android? whats that?

#102 ThaTwizzla

ThaTwizzla

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationMinnsota

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:00 PM

so i tried freezing it with RomToolbox...
my phone rebooted 3 times. and it wasnt there again untill i turned my 4g back on, and hit the market...
im suspicious, comming from samsung epic/sprint
First-Sixth Bravo Co."Hit Em Hard Boys" Semper Fi - We Will Never Forget

#103 nmeofdst8

nmeofdst8

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:42 PM

Oh well. We all know rooting voids our warranty for sure now. We just need to figure out how to get around them detecting root.. hmm.

rooting doesn't void your warranty..it can't.. the DMCA made it legal to do things like root your phone so you could run/take advantage of software not normally available if not rooted...just like jail breaking for iphones. Could they deny coverage if what you did directly caused the failure..probably..could they for something unrelated just cause you rooted.nope
  • jimyv likes this

#104 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:44 PM

rooting doesn't void your warranty..it can't.. the DMCA made it legal to do things like root your phone so you could run/take advantage of software not normally available if not rooted...just like jail breaking for iphones. Could they deny coverage if what you did directly caused the failure..probably..could they for something unrelated just cause you rooted.nope

Violating terms of service is not the same thing as legality. They can't sue you for doing it, but they can use it to break their liabilities.

#105 nmeofdst8

nmeofdst8

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:48 PM

The magnuson moss warranty act also stops it and specifically does what I said above.

Violating terms of service is not the same thing as legality. They can't sue you for doing it, but they can use it to break their liabilities.

#106 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:56 PM

The magnuson moss warranty act also stops it and specifically does what I said above.

That's not one I've heard of. Thanks for the reference, I've got some reading to do.

#107 Mytchh

Mytchh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Locationhttp://www.se7ensins.com/forums/members/w-e-l-f-a-r-e.105411/

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:19 PM

That's not one I've heard of. Thanks for the reference, I've got some reading to do.

Let me know what you find out about that. I'm interested.

#108 yuck.fou12091976

yuck.fou12091976

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:17 AM

this is just plain crazy i mean i bought this phone second hand and i soft bricked itr last night and not knowing about the vol up and vol down and power i took it in to verizon and well they cant do anything about it so i was like ok whatever so i called motorola and they said my devise is rooted and i denyed it the whole time saying i dont even know what root is or how to do it
thats just plain crazy that motorola can tell that ur rooted thats scary actually it almost makes me want to steer away from motorola products

#109 Raw Dodge

Raw Dodge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:22 AM

What do you feel Motorola owes you? You shouldn't have went to Verizon or Motorola... shame on you...you bricked it you fix it..im glad they know its rooted....you modded the phone and have no right to any warranty for software issues....sorry just telling it like it is..you play you pay...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  • Aixelsyd and Memnoch73 like this

#110 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:25 AM

this is just plain crazy i mean i bought this phone second hand and i soft bricked itr last night and not knowing about the vol up and vol down and power i took it in to verizon and well they cant do anything about it so i was like ok whatever so i called motorola and they said my devise is rooted and i denyed it the whole time saying i dont even know what root is or how to do it
thats just plain crazy that motorola can tell that ur rooted thats scary actually it almost makes me want to steer away from motorola products

Ugh... You people and your hacking mistakes. You need to read the forums before running back to Verizon/Moto. There is an answer to most problems right here. No wonder our freakin bootloaders are locked. :angry:
  • Aixelsyd likes this

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#111 yuck.fou12091976

yuck.fou12091976

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:25 AM

god damn it motorola does owe me damn it i spent good money on this phone and if it messes up they should fix it if i cant....but its up and running now but its just a concern of mine that motorola knew that is was rooted thats an invasion of my privacy

#112 Raw Dodge

Raw Dodge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:31 AM

Motorola owes you nothing neither does Verizon... you decided knowingly to hack the phone.... If the phone cost so much money and that was so important to you you shoulda thought about that before you decided to hack it. You are part of a growing trend today of people that do not want to accept responsibility for their actions... Its people like you that force motorola and verizon to babysit us to check to see if we are rooted or not in order to control warranty cost from people that don't have enough time to fully read into something and have no business hacking the phone. Just accept responsibility for what you did, if you wanna blame someone look in the mirror.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  • Aixelsyd likes this

#113 Mytchh

Mytchh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Locationhttp://www.se7ensins.com/forums/members/w-e-l-f-a-r-e.105411/

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:12 PM

Ugh... You people and your hacking mistakes. You need to read the forums before running back to Verizon/Moto. There is an answer to most problems right here. No wonder our freakin bootloaders are locked. :angry:

Agreed. Noobs are the reason for locked bootloaders! Not stingy Motorola.

#114 Ph3arr3t

Ph3arr3t

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:26 PM

then it must be something between your provider & google. I was able to return a brick on the last day of warranty, and got it replaced. my current phone is rooted, but also stock rom. all my apps still show.

#115 Ph3arr3t

Ph3arr3t

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:28 PM

and agree it was my own fault for not RTFM. I learned from it, and won't repeat.

#116 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:30 AM

Whoever is being told that rooting your phone DOES NOT void the warranty, is being lied to. Rooting your phone absolutely voids the warranty.

Edited by spc_hicks09, 27 June 2012 - 04:30 AM.

• Aixelsyd likes this

#117 Guest_DirtyDroidX_*

Guest_DirtyDroidX_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:11 AM

Whomever you are that seems to think rooting DOES VOID the warranty is ignorant and MISINFORMED. I will break this down for you and everyone else who seems to have this common misconception:

Water Damage voids the warranty. Why? Because it's permanent and CANNOT be undone.

Opening your phone up and breaking the manufacturer's seal voids the warranty. Why? Because unless you have another seal, or don't break the current one, a broken seal CANNOT be undone.

Cracking the screen voids the warranty. Why? Because this CANNOT be undone.

Physical damage to the phone that prevents the phone from operating properly voids the warranty. Why? Because YET AGAIN, physical damage CANNOT be undone.

ROOTING DOES NOTVOID THE WARRANTY BECAUSE IT CAN BE UNDONE. If you call/bring in your phone for warranty service and you are told your warranty is null and void, then simply UNROOT your phone or do a MFR, and call/bring in it again. Once this is completed, YOU WILL NO LONGER BE ROOTED.

THiS is why rooting CANNOT VOID YOUR WARRANTY.

If you're a noob, then you have an excuse, but if you're someone who knows what you're doing, then maybe you should consider yourself a noob until you research what you put up and use some common sense... (this goes to all of you who think rooting voids your warranty, not just this sadly misinformed member).

Hmm that is very interesting.

OK first of all when you root your phone you alter SYSTEM FILES, so if you do a factory Data reset as you claim. All it will do is get rid of the super user apk, if its not in your system/app folder. Call Verizon and ask them. Tell me what they say or Motorola.Of you alter the SOFTWARE in any way your warranty is null and void. So I would not through out the noob term so generously!

#118 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:13 AM

Whomever you are that seems to think rooting DOES VOID the warranty is ignorant and MISINFORMED. I will break this down for you, and everyone else, whom seems to have this common misconception:
I'm ignorant and misinformed and also do not know proper grammer +1 to you

Water Damage voids the warranty. Why? Because it's permanent and CANNOT be undone.
You don't say?

Opening your phone up and breaking the manufacturer's seal voids the warranty. Why? Because unless you have another seal, or don't break the current one, a broken seal CANNOT be undone.
Yep

Cracking the screen voids the warranty. Why? Because this CANNOT be undone.
Sure does

Physical damage to the phone that prevents the phone from operating properly voids the warranty. Why? Because YET AGAIN, physical damage CANNOT be undone.
Right again

ROOTINGDOES NOT VOID THE WARRANTY BECAUSE IT CAN BE UNDONE. If you call/bring in your phone for warranty service and you are told your warranty is null and void, then simply UNROOT your phone or do a MFR, and call/bring in it again. Once this is completed, YOU WILL NO LONGER BE ROOTED.

THiS is why rooting CANNOT VOID YOUR WARRANTY.
Woah woah woah, so if there is a situation in which you cannot unroot..........
Oh but wait...I'm the ignorant, misinformed noob.

If you're a noob, then you have an excuse, but if you're someone who knows what you're doing, then maybe you should consider yourself a noob until you research what you put up and use some common sense... (this goes to all of you who think rooting voids your warranty, not just this sadly misinformed member).

**EDIT** I also second what Memnoch73 said... There is no reason why anyone who soft bricks their phone should be going to any manufacturer/provider, because this CAN be undone and FIXED by the USER. Simply do some research on this forum, XDA, or others and I guarantee you WILL find an answer to your problem and WILL be able to undo whatever you screwed up. Take the time to use the brain you were given, use your common sense, and use the internet.

*Please read the quote before you read my reply. You might find some interesting information in there.

Case in point, altering the factory software voids the warranty on the phone. Just because you can unroot, doesn't mean that rooting will not void your warranty. That's right though, I AM the ignorant, misinformed noob. You need to watch who you talk to like that, someone might just prove you wrong.

Why don't you give Verizon and Motorola a call and ask them if rooting voids your warranty. Please let me know what they say.

Sent from my DROID SPYDER using Tapatalk 2

Edited by spc_hicks09, 27 June 2012 - 05:31 AM.

#119 Guest_DirtyDroidX_*

Guest_DirtyDroidX_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:32 AM

First, to an employee of your service provider (whom the warranty applies to, since people generally get their phones replaced through the service provider, especially if you have Verizon), I've never heard of any of them checking your system files... and even if they did, they'd have to root the phone... unless you know of some other way that I don't of accessing system files on an unrooted phone (I don't claim to know everything thing about the linux/unix file system, but I've never heard of a way of accessing system folders/files without admin privileges, otherwise known as root) Also, whenever I've done a MFR and wiped the entire phone, simply adding the superuser.apk back didn't give me root access again. I had to actually re-root my phone.

Second, the point which you so beautifully missed, was that rooting DOES NOT void the warranty...

OK instead of going back and forth all day do this. In fact if you stand beside your claim that JUST ROOTING YOUR PHONE DOES NOT VOID YOUR WARRANTY. In fact I will bet you 100$ that you are 100% wrong. Now I'm not talking about wiping or putting your phone back stock. I'm saying just the root alone. Call VZW or Moto and record your conversation.If they say rooting DOES NOT void your warranty you win.

#120 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:34 AM

First, to an employee of your service provider (whom the warranty applies to, since people generally get their phones replaced through the service provider, especially if you have Verizon), I've never heard of any of them checking your system files... and even if they did, they'd have to root the phone... unless you know of some other way that I don't of accessing system files on an unrooted phone (I don't claim to know everything thing about the linux/unix file system, but I've never heard of a way of accessing system folders/files without admin privileges, otherwise known as root) Also, whenever I've done a MFR and wiped the entire phone, simply adding the superuser.apk back didn't give me root access again. I had to actually re-root my phone.

Second, the point which you so beautifully missed, was that rooting DOES NOT void the warranty...

Are you even paying attention to what you type???

Just because you can unroot, DOES NOT mean that rooting will not void the warranty!

The act of rooting alone, voids the warranty. REGARDLESS if unrooting is possible. The simple act of rooting voids the warranty and you need to stop spreading bad information to the other members.

Edited by spc_hicks09, 27 June 2012 - 05:36 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users