497 replies to this topic

#261 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:12 PM

The getvar line of the XML historically wasn't needed and caused issues before too on one of the leaks. I'll download the package and take a look at the getvar line and see what the issue is. Someone will have to test it for me though if I put together a modified XML to resolve the issue for RSD.

Posted Image

Become a supporting member and help, get a DEV a phone, by going HERE

Please take the time to read our forum rules and guidelines.

#262 Guest_DirtyDroidX_*

Guest_DirtyDroidX_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:31 PM

For anyone wanting teather all you have to do is follow my thread in general . You just have to change 1 line with a DB editor.

Tapped from my XT926, XT913 or SCH-i535.

#263 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:51 PM

Entitlement check still works? lol. My MAXX gets here thursday.

Posted Image

#264 Nnnnr12

Nnnnr12

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Google+:hairstont14
  • LocationLagrange, Ga

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:04 PM

Thanks for posting this, I walked through the process and the key difference was updating the SU binary before using OTA rootkeeper to backup and temp unroot.

So to summarize the process:
1. You are stock with the non-JB verizon pushed update (6MB) applied (Settings > About Phone > System update tells you your device is up to date)
2. You root (or are already rooted)
3. You go into the Superuser app, swipe to the left the info tab (if you don't see this, the make sure you have the latest superuse update from the app store)
4. Tap on the 3rd line (su binary tap to check for updates)
5. Update the binaries to the latest
6. Open OTA Vodoo RootKeeper and Protect Root (or delete and create a new backup if you have already used the app to backup)
7. Temp unroot in OTA Vodoo RootKeeper
8. Power off the device
9. Power + volume up, then press volume up and down simultaneously when you see the android.
10. Volume down until recovery is highlighted, then volume up to select recovery
11. Choose install update from external sd card
12. Select file to update
13. After boot, restore root using OTA Vodoo RootKeeper
14. Repeat steps 3 and 4 to confirm you have root

Root and flashing back to stock can be done using Matt's utility (thanks Matt!)

I think this should work for everyone having issues, let me know if you are able to get JB root using these instructions.

Trying this now really hope it works..

Edit: Nope staying on ics until another method comes along with easier root.

DroidRazr Maxx HD safestrapping!!

#265 Guest_DirtyDroidX_*

Guest_DirtyDroidX_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:35 PM

Entitlement check still works? lol. My MAXX gets here thursday.

Lol yeah buddy!

Where have you been ? Under a rock ! :P

#266 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,478 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:40 PM

Who ever is removing the getvar lines from the XML should also remove the erase user data line so you can have a keep data rsd xml. It will allow you to over between leaks more easily without losing data. That's the premise of how the house of bionic works. :)

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Non potest esse nisi unus

#267 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:10 PM

Lol yeah buddy!

Where have you been ? Under a rock ! :P

Around doing cleanup mostly. I don't post as often but I'm always around. I'll be more active once my new phone gets here and work isn't kicking my rear end.

Posted Image

#268 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:34 PM

Repaired XML for testing in RSD attached. Wipe user data intact because people in this thread are using it to come back from 4.1 which will have major issues going back to 4.0 without a wipe.

In case people skim I'm going to put this in bold and red text. THIS FILE WILL WIPE YOUR DATA FOR PURPOSES OF COMING FROM JB BACK TO ICS. YOU WILL HAVE ISSUES WITHOUT A WIPE SO I LEFT IT THIS WAY INTENTIONALLY.

- Unpack your existing XML ZIP file if you haven't already
- Delete/Move the existing XML
- Unpack this modified file and drop it in
- Run RSD and point it at the new XML (which should at this point be in the folder with all the other shiz.
- Profit?

Let me know if it works or not. Should be fine though for those looking to use RSD to return to stock from JB.

Attached Files

Posted Image

#269 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:43 PM

Who ever is removing the getvar lines from the XML should also remove the erase user data line so you can have a keep data rsd xml. It will allow you to over between leaks more easily without losing data. That's the premise of how the house of bionic works. :)

That theory works if you're coming from the same version of android that you're reverting to (usually...). Coming from JB back to ICS will require a wipe.

Posted Image

#270 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,478 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:58 AM

That theory works if you're coming from the same version of android that you're reverting to (usually...). Coming from JB back to ICS will require a wipe.

JB isn't as big of an upgrade as going from gb to ics. You might be surprised to find that it'll work without a wipe. Ics has become very robust about the system data.

#271 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:42 AM

JB isn't as big of an upgrade as going from gb to ics. You might be surprised to find that it'll work without a wipe. Ics has become very robust about the system data.

As I presently don't have a device to test with I'm playing it safe.

Posted Image

#272 NattyBee

NattyBee

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:37 AM

It will bootloop...I did it the other day (my initial upgrade, I forgot to update SU and my binaries) and I went back and didn't wipe data...boot loop, lol

As I presently don't have a device to test with I'm playing it safe.

Sent from my RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2

#273 chrisc2u

chrisc2u

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:00 AM

Trying this now really hope it works..

Edit: Nope staying on ics until another method comes along with easier root.

What are you running into issues with? I think this is a relatively simple process if you just walk through the instructions and don't skip any of the steps. Plenty of people here happy to help if you want to give it a go

#274 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,478 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:16 AM

It will bootloop...I did it the other day (my initial upgrade, I forgot to update SU and my binaries) and I went back and didn't wipe data...boot loop, lol

That's surprising....and sucks. TiBU or Rom Toolbox Pro FTW I guess! :) Remember to only backup and restore apps and app data, not system data.

#275 Rhubarb

Rhubarb

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:03 AM

I'm trying to install the JB leak, but the install keeps abort because it cannot find kindle.apk (i must have uninstalled it by accident because everything else i just froze with Titanium backup). I also tried installing the kindle app from the market and copying it to \system\vendor\app but it still didn't like it.
Could someone please post a copy of their kindle.apk app?

thank you.

#276 Nnnnr12

Nnnnr12

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Google+:hairstont14
  • LocationLagrange, Ga

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:05 AM

I'm trying to install the JB leak, but the install keeps abort because it cannot find kindle.apk (i must have uninstalled it by accident because everything else i just froze with Titanium backup). I also tried installing the kindle app from the market and copying it to systemvendorapp but it still didn't like it.

thank you.

Fast boot back to 4.0.4 then install the ota then try again.

-tapped from my cm10 ktoonsez kernel'd Galaxy s3

DroidRazr Maxx HD safestrapping!!

#277 NattyBee

NattyBee

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:34 AM

I'm trying to install the JB leak, but the install keeps abort because it cannot find kindle.apk (i must have uninstalled it by accident because everything else i just froze with Titanium backup). I also tried installing the kindle app from the market and copying it to systemvendorapp but it still didn't like it.

thank you.

Fast boot back to 4.0.4 then install the ota then try again.

-tapped from my cm10 ktoonsez kernel'd Galaxy s3

Yep, I was going to suggest the same thing...grab Matt's Utility, it'll make it a painless procedure... I mean, if I had the files (I think you need the .odex file too?) I would send you...but I am already on JB so I doubt my files would be compatible with what it's looking for...

#278 Rhubarb

Rhubarb

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:46 AM

Does Matt's utility contain everything I need? I have the motorola usb drivers installed.

By the way, how do you guys like JB on this phone? Are there any nasty side effects since this is an early leak?

#279 houch80

houch80

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:59 AM

Does Matt's utility contain everything I need? I have the motorola usb drivers installed.

By the way, how do you guys like JB on this phone? Are there any nasty side effects since this is an early leak?

His utility has everything needed to get back to the stock/factory software. I have used it with no problems at all. I have not noticed anything nasty side effects besides a few apps not working correctly. All my main apps are fine. After using this there is no way I would go back to stock ics on this phone.

#280 houch80

houch80

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:01 AM

Yep, I was going to suggest the same thing...grab Matt's Utility, it'll make it a painless procedure... I mean, if I had the files (I think you need the .odex file too?) I would send you...but I am already on JB so I doubt my files would be compatible with what it's looking for...

I did the same thing, froze apps with titanium backup, then unfroze them for the update. It would not work no matter what I tried. So I used Matt's Utility to go back to stock and then I had no problems.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: HD Jelly bean, 4.1.1, DROID RAZR HD, HD JB

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users