Photo

Jellybeans! DROID RAZR HD Verizon New Leak and Atrix HD AT&T Firmware(FXZ)!

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#121 newskate9

newskate9

Older Than You

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • LocationCentral PA
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx HD, Razr Maxx, Nexus 7

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:41 AM

This is not a SafeStrap rom. This is an official leaked update...you need to go back to stock,and take the OTA, before you will be able to flash this.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

And, I believe it needs flashed in stock recovery, yes? Not SS?

Proud father of a US Marine

#122 Brenardo

Brenardo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:58 AM

Yes Stock Recovery and if you want to keep root. Use Voodoo and temp unroot before install

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

#123 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:46 AM

Yes Stock Recovery and if you want to keep root. Use Voodoo and temp unroot before install

Temp unroot is not mandatory.

Posted Image

Become a supporting member and help, get a DEV a phone, by going HERE

Please take the time to read our forum rules and guidelines.

#124 NattyBee

NattyBee

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:51 AM

Temp unroot is not mandatory.

It's not mandatory, but as I found out the hard way, if you don't temp unroot, you will likely be unable to restore root after the update...

#125 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:24 AM

It's not mandatory, but as I found out the hard way, if you don't temp unroot, you will likely be unable to restore root after the update...

I'm going to paste the end of our discussion from the other thread into this one so I don't have to type it all over again. I'll make a video of it if I have to to prove it and debunk this theory. This isn't something that would "sometimes" cause issues. This type of process being required would cause a 100% fail rate if it actually affected the root restore process.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

it may be worth pointing out that if you don't temp unroot, you will likely be unable to restore root. I am fairly sure I have seen several reports of this....and also I have tested this theory myself (not necessarily on purpose, but hey, I did test it, lol) and found that without temp unroot, I was not able to restore root. I went back and started over, and temp unrooted...and everything went smoothly

I promise you your failure is not due to failing to temp unroot as I've never temp unrooted a RAZR (original or HD) and it hasn't caused me to fail a root restore. Not updating binaries or having a improper version of SU apk installed has though. The biggest reason I've seen failures is if you've rooted your phone but not gone into the SU apk and given it permission to use root itself before backing up your root it'll fail. This usually happens to those of us who are quickly going through and restoring to factory and rooting to get back to whence we came for whatever reason. Forcing a binary update will trigger the SU permission check for the app and you'll be in good shape which is why you never have an issue if you do this.

oh...also, you don't need to root until after you take the 0.7.2 OTA (or whatever the version # is, haha!) no need to spend time rooting it when you first go back to stock

I root first to make absolutely sure OTA rootkeeper is working properly. If for some reason it were to fail to restore root after this mini-update I can re-root and check my permissions before taking an update that would require a system restore to try again. Obviously this isn't mandatory but helps for those times that I forgot to give SU proper permissions or forgot to update binaries etc.

I made 100% sure to update my SU and my binaries prior to updating, as I was trying to avoid repeating my mistake from the last leak(on the first leak, I screwed up and had to redo it). The only thing I did differently is that I temp unrooted the second time....
Well, it may have been a fluke, I don't know...obviously you know better than I, but if you ask me, it doesn't hurt to do the unroot, just to be safe, seeing as it only takes half a second.

Correct. It doesn't hurt but it doesn't help either :P. I don't want to give people false hope on a reason why something failed when it's unrelated. "Hey, your root restore failed because you didn't temp unroot before taking the update" is not a correct statement and is an incorrect diagnosis. That's the only point I was trying to make. I've been fighting this since the original RAZR and every time someone posts it I try to make a point to correct it so people can move on to find the real reason their root restore failed. Binaries, permissions, locations, etc.

Posted Image

#126 Brenardo

Brenardo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:36 AM

I can say that i always temp unroot and I have NEVER had any problems regaining root.

I find it odd that most of the people i have suggested to temp unroot have had no issues restoring root after accepting an update.

And most people that dont temp unroot are the ones having problems regaining root after an update.

So take it as you will but I highly suggest to temp unroot before applying an update.

#127 Brenardo

Brenardo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:37 AM

As far as a 100% fail or pass rate that IMO is a joke in these forums as many people simply do not have experience flashing. And miss a step and dont even realize it.

#128 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:51 AM

As far as a 100% fail or pass rate that IMO is a joke in these forums as many people simply do not have experience flashing. And miss a step and dont even realize it.

My point is that if temp unroot affected the restore root process (ie: it was mandatory) it would cause restoring root to fail every time. As this is not the case as I've tested many many times without, temp unroot doesn't affect restoring root. I've been fighting this since the original razr. If you're in the habit of doing it that's fine, it won't hurt you but saying that a root restore failed because you/they forgot to isn't accurate.

I see a lot of:

User1: My root restore failed
User2: oh, did you temp unroot before you did the update?
User1: no
User2: Oh, that's why. Do it all over and make sure you temp unroot this time.

and that's incorrect. Their issue is something else and it will persist if they do everything exactly the same with the only change being temp unroot.

Posted Image

#129 Brenardo

Brenardo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:16 AM

Do you see alot of "oh $#!+ that didnt work either" threads?Look, IMO it is an essential step. always has been since i discovered the app. Not trying to piss you off but it simply works for me and i run into people all the time who have problems restoring root. I just tried to install JB OTA on my coworkers device. Literally < 5 minutes ago and didnt temp unroot to see what would happen. Root will not restore.

#130 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:28 AM

Do you see alot of "oh $#!+ that didnt work either" threads?Look, IMO it is an essential step. always has been since i discovered the app. Not trying to piss you off but it simply works for me and i run into people all the time who have problems restoring root. I just tried to install JB OTA on my coworkers device. Literally < 5 minutes ago and didnt temp unroot to see what would happen. Root will not restore.

I'll make a video later. I'm at work. I'm not trying to be a shlong about it either. I'm just saying it's not diagnostically relevant. You missed a step somewhere along the line. I've done it (god knows I've overlooked things. Just the other day when I went to test this update I forgot to do the incremental update). We've all done it. But it's not temp-unroot. I personally tested again this morning when I rolled back to take a test update. I made a point to not unroot just to check.

Posted Image

#131 NattyBee

NattyBee

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:49 AM

I'll make a video later. I'm at work. I'm not trying to be a richard about it either. I'm just saying it's not diagnostically relevant. You missed a step somewhere along the line. I've done it (god knows I've overlooked things. Just the other day when I went to test this update I forgot to do the incremental update). We've all done it. But it's not temp-unroot. I personally tested again this morning when I rolled back to take a test update. I made a point to not unroot just to check.

Sorry man, when I made those posts, I didn't mean to start an ongoing debate...I did mean to comment earlier to say I see your point in this. It's likely I unintentionally overlooked a step- it wouldn't be the first time ;)

#132 NattyBee

NattyBee

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:50 AM

So...in other news...battery life on this build seems improved from the previous leak...anyone else seeing better battery life as well?

#133 Brenardo

Brenardo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:53 AM

Battery life is Guuuuud!

#134 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:56 AM

So...in other news...battery life on this build seems improved from the previous leak...anyone else seeing better battery life as well?

No biggie. It's been a battle I've been waging for over a year ;). I've been meaning to make a video for a long long time but haven't had a spare camera til now so I'll get it done soon.

My battery life has been considerably better than ICS but about on par with the previous build. I like the fact that they've switched to the unskinned nav keys. Fixes the new netflix issue from ICS when they don't hide when you fullscreen it. Semi-related: I also like how the graph shows on battery widget reborn in the notification drop down (two-finger collapsible) and it gives you quick toggles if you want them (I don't use the stock launcher so I lose the left scrolled quick toggles).

Posted Image

#135 krazie1

krazie1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:48 AM

So I got to updating to Jellybean finally and it is Indeed noticeably fast. Everything is really nice only thing I wish they didn't change was the Battery Icon, I loved Moto's battery icon that was in ICS it looked more cooler. But i'll manage, also notice that my data/signal is more up to speed & stable.

#136 rpizzijr

rpizzijr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationWallingford, CT

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:16 PM

When I try to make a 3rd partition in SS to try to load this ROM, it fails. Not a ROM problem, seems like there is enough room, any ideas why?

Sorry...wrong thread, I meant to post this in Matts new ROM thread!
But wait....if you're here, who's running hell?

#137 NattyBee

NattyBee

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:41 PM

Sorry...wrong thread, I meant to post this in Matts new ROM thread!

Haha, that makes more sense :)

#138 papi92

papi92

Developer

• Developer
  • 727 posts
  • Twitter:afox2015

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:28 PM

Lol review of jb in news.

#139 syntrix

syntrix

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:29 PM

If you use the wrong tool to update root, it's going to fail. adb shell and then su when you think you have the correct one as a test, then back it up.

Mine is Superuser with the green droid with the eye patch, update then do the su test and check your user id. I had something else installed and I used that one and it failed once.

#140 b_wat

b_wat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Google+:bwatkins232@gmail.com
  • LocationKnoxville,Tn

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:51 PM

I am getting a lot of home screen redraws and the pattern lock screen seems a bit buggy as well sometimes I unlock my phone and its at the regular slider unlock and when I go from an app to the home screen everything redraws itself is that an issue that is known or should I flash back and take the ota

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users