• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 phatdaddyz01

phatdaddyz01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:31 PM

Maybe this will help our government realize that we need to stop spending billions to fight other peoples wars & invest in the protection & security of our future.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#22 satman80

satman80

Gny. Sgt. Hartman

• Administrator
  • 3,159 posts
  • LocationPluto
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr HD Maxx, Moto X Developer Edition

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:37 PM

Maybe this will help our government realize that we need to stop spending billions to fight other peoples wars & invest in the protection & security of our future.

Yes and no, we learned a lot from gorilla warfare.. I just don't think no matter however you cut it, this person was sick and had a mission.. I am not sure anyone can be prepared for something so horrible. This is just a sick and very sad situation..

Signature Made & Protected by zooyork0721

Posted Image

Site Rules and Guidelines

#23 satman80

satman80

Gny. Sgt. Hartman

• Administrator
  • 3,159 posts
  • LocationPluto

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

Sorry, this is just so sad, I will be honest here, I can't really comment on this much more at all. It's very upsetting to me.. I am at a loss for words, my heart is very much broken on this..

Posted Image

#24 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:56 PM

Sorry, this is just so sad, I will be honest here, I can't really comment on this much more at all. It's very upsetting to me.. I am at a loss for words, my heart is very much broken on this..

Mine as well..... i have looked at the pics of the children (that have been released) and i look at my children and begin to weep (again) as i think "that could have been my children"....... this will take US a long time to recover...... :(

sent from my DROID RAZR tapadriving ...

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#25 FcHsChilD

FcHsChilD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationWellington

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:36 PM

I have 2 sons and a daughter on the way.The oldest is 3 and goes to preschool and the wife and i have had discussions on weather or not to keep pursuing the public schooling system or not. Now this is a travesty that someone could take one let alone numerous children's lives..and over what?? Just disgusting

#26 Daino92

Daino92

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Google+:chrisdaino@gmail.com
  • LocationFort Collins
  • Current Device(s):SCH-1535

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:24 AM

Agreed.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

#27 mdowns989

mdowns989

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Twitter:@mdowns989
  • Google+:+Michael Downs
  • LocationCentral Coast Cali.

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:28 AM

#28 phatdaddyz01

phatdaddyz01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:47 AM

When my children went to daycare & pre-k, all of the children were behind a locked bullet proof door. Each parent had their own code to get in. There was a receptionist at the front to intercept people. This system was in place to make sure the kids stayed safe & only left with the right guardian & it worked very well.

#29 phatdaddyz01

phatdaddyz01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:54 AM

Add to that equation an armed police officer & most of these situations won't happen.

#30 G8orDroid

G8orDroid

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Twitter:G8orDroid

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:20 PM

My heart goes out to these people as well. I lost a child who was about the age of these children. While her death was not at the hands of a violent lunatic, it is a loss that I will never completely get over. Sure, you get past the initial shock and gut-wrenching hurt, but there's always that day when you see something that reminds you of that child and the emotions are hard to control. Right now is a prime example, actually.

The problem here is that there is evil out there. No matter what name you want to call it by, it exists, and there is no reasonable way to obliterate it or even know when it will strike next.

As far as arming the teachers and school staff goes, if the adult faculty and staff were properly trained, psychologically evaluated and registered to carry a firearm, I would much prefer my child attend that school over one with no defensive ability at all. For those that say ""what if one of the teachers loses it and goes crazy shooting up his/her class", I say "what's stopping them from doing that now!". I'll tell you what's stopping them, they are law abiding, sane people. Besides, if there are others armed in the school and they know that, I think they would be far less likely to lose control and do something stupid.

We all have our opinions.

#31 usmcamgrimm

usmcamgrimm

Berserker

• Developer
  • 958 posts
  • Twitter:@usmcamgrimm
  • LocationMassillon, OH
  • Current Device(s):VZW G3

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:31 AM

The principal from my daughter's high school called last night....apparently someone has threatened to bring a gun to her school with the same sort of agenda.

Exodus-Sig%204.png

#32 jamminjon82

jamminjon82

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Twitter:@jamminjon82
  • LocationGloucester, VA
  • Current Device(s):LG G2, Moto X, Kindle Fire 2,Razr M, Nexus 7, Acer A100

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:00 AM

The principal from my daughter's high school called last night....apparently someone has threatened to bring a gun to her school with the same sort of agenda.

we have the same thing going on here in VA, Friday has a lot of threats so far scary stuff

#33 FcHsChilD

FcHsChilD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationWellington

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:46 AM

Think the decision for us has been made. A local student out here was at school saying she wanted to shoot some kids too. Seriously what the hell is wrong with kids today?I'm only 23 so I haven't been out of school that long but damn I don't remember people being so damn crazy..guess I'm going to have to be Teacher Dad.

#34 phatdaddyz01

phatdaddyz01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

We just received an email from our kids' school stating that they now employee 2 full time plain clothes police officers as well as having the school patrolled a lot more by uniformed officers.

Thank God!

Phatdaddyz JB RAZR MAXX

#35 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

Antidisestablishmentarianist

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/JohnLGalt
  • Location3rd Rock
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 4 XL 128 GB

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:34 AM

Want to know what the hell is wrong with the kids today?

Bad parenting. Bad media. Information overload In that order.

Bad parenting - this can be caused not b/c the parents are negligent, but simply b/c we live in a world of double mortgages, child-rearing and extracurricular activity expenses, and an eroding middle class that forces the nuclear family unit to be composed of dual-income providers. How does this contribute?

Children are allowed more free time with peers / television / games / consoles / etc. and less time with books / learning / education. You think it's OK for violence to be manifesting in all of the media, even to kids as young an age as 5? Think again.

I, myself, am an avid gamer - mostly racing sims, but I enjoy the occasional FPS as well. I particularly enjoy playing Mass Effect 3 multiplayer. I cannot count the number of times that I have played that game, or played other FPS (particularly combat games with team v team play) where I have heard a CHILD's voice over the speakers / headphones. I can't count the number of times I've heard a CHILDs voice curse, get pissed off b/c of a sneaky kill / spawn camping / a damned good sniper, and watch him go ballistic trying to reach that guy in a rage to "take him out".

You want the kids to stop being violent? Stop letting them have access to violent media.

Now, some of the bad parenting comes from bad parents. That bad parenting is caused by ADULTS who don't know how to $@$%^@$& act like adults. ant kids to be better model citizens? Make their $&@$^&@ parents be better model citizens.

The next point is the bad media. This comes in many forms - explicit violence in prime time television shows, verbal abuse in children's shows, violence in books, magazines, movies, you name it. Violence is everywhere - and the media is pushing it b/c WE THE PEOPLE want to see it. Every day. Every hour. In our shows, flicks, games, even in our sports. I'm from GA, and I was amused (and horrified) to hear a "die-hard" UGA fan proceed to tell me that UF fans are the worst fans - complete with cursing, hatred and desire to do bodily harm. Seriously? Yeah, its that ***EXACT*** desire to do bodily harm to someone else that is making some UF fan out there tell someone else in the state of Florida that "UGA fans are the worst fans ever" complete with cursing and a desire to .... yep, you guessed it - do bodily harm.

Again, when you're a ^&#^&#^& ADULT, behave like an adult. If you don't know how, then @%$^@$%^$ learn.

Information overload comes b/c our kids have more access to more information with less effort than they ever had before. With mor ways to access info, they also have more access to all the stuff that the bad media is pressing into the viewers' households. Want to really see what the kids ware watching on their fancy iPhones and Android phones? You probably don't - or, you've probably already seen it and never once stopped to consider whether what you just watched would be considered appropriate for someone under the age of 17.

We have no control over crazy people who do crazy things. We *DO* have a control on how the kids act when they are kids - and its time we started taking that control back.

The problem is not public schools, solely, although there is a contributory factor - a lot of kids shows purport that whole "clique" mentality that starts people down dark paths when they are not the "in-crowd" members. The problem is that the kids are not prepared b/c there is a severe lack of parenting - there is a breakdown b/c, unlike 100 years ago, grandma and grandpa aren't upstairs or next door or down the street to provide sage advice to parents who, being human, still mess things up as parents. Grandma and Gramps are now hundreds of miles, thousands of miles away, so the family is now down to Mom and Pops and siblings, making the family unit ever smaller, and with dual income families, even more absentee.

It only gets worse from here.

Now, many of you are going to argue with me about the games, or the media, or the parenting, whatever. This is my opinion, but I feel justified in expressing it - b/c, again, IMO it all starts at the home.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Infinity TF700 running Android JB (rooted) via Tapatalk HD

#36 garywojdan81

garywojdan81

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Twitter:gwojdan_81

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:05 AM

Want to know what the hell is wrong with the kids today?

Bad parenting. Bad media. Information overload In that order.

Bad parenting - this can be caused not b/c the parents are negligent, but simply b/c we live in a world of double mortgages, child-rearing and extracurricular activity expenses, and an eroding middle class that forces the nuclear family unit to be composed of dual-income providers. How does this contribute?

Children are allowed more free time with peers / television / games / consoles / etc. and less time with books / learning / education. You think it's OK for violence to be manifesting in all of the media, even to kids as young an age as 5? Think again.

I, myself, am an avid gamer - mostly racing sims, but I enjoy the occasional FPS as well. I particularly enjoy playing Mass Effect 3 multiplayer. I cannot count the number of times that I have played that game, or played other FPS (particularly combat games with team v team play) where I have heard a CHILD's voice over the speakers / headphones. I can't count the number of times I've heard a CHILDs voice curse, get pissed off b/c of a sneaky kill / spawn camping / a damned good sniper, and watch him go ballistic trying to reach that guy in a rage to "take him out".

You want the kids to stop being violent? Stop letting them have access to violent media.

Now, some of the bad parenting comes from bad parents. That bad parenting is caused by ADULTS who don't know how to $@$%^@$& act like adults. ant kids to be better model citizens? Make their $&@$^&@ parents be better model citizens.

The next point is the bad media. This comes in many forms - explicit violence in prime time television shows, verbal abuse in children's shows, violence in books, magazines, movies, you name it. Violence is everywhere - and the media is pushing it b/c WE THE PEOPLE want to see it. Every day. Every hour. In our shows, flicks, games, even in our sports. I'm from GA, and I was amused (and horrified) to hear a "die-hard" UGA fan proceed to tell me that UF fans are the worst fans - complete with cursing, hatred and desire to do bodily harm. Seriously? Yeah, its that ***EXACT*** desire to do bodily harm to someone else that is making some UF fan out there tell someone else in the state of Florida that "UGA fans are the worst fans ever" complete with cursing and a desire to .... yep, you guessed it - do bodily harm.

Again, when you're a ^&#^&#^& ADULT, behave like an adult. If you don't know how, then @%$^@$%^$ learn.

Information overload comes b/c our kids have more access to more information with less effort than they ever had before. With mor ways to access info, they also have more access to all the stuff that the bad media is pressing into the viewers' households. Want to really see what the kids ware watching on their fancy iPhones and Android phones? You probably don't - or, you've probably already seen it and never once stopped to consider whether what you just watched would be considered appropriate for someone under the age of 17.

We have no control over crazy people who do crazy things. We *DO* have a control on how the kids act when they are kids - and its time we started taking that control back.

The problem is not public schools, solely, although there is a contributory factor - a lot of kids shows purport that whole "clique" mentality that starts people down dark paths when they are not the "in-crowd" members. The problem is that the kids are not prepared b/c there is a severe lack of parenting - there is a breakdown b/c, unlike 100 years ago, grandma and grandpa aren't upstairs or next door or down the street to provide sage advice to parents who, being human, still mess things up as parents. Grandma and Gramps are now hundreds of miles, thousands of miles away, so the family is now down to Mom and Pops and siblings, making the family unit ever smaller, and with dual income families, even more absentee.

It only gets worse from here.

Now, many of you are going to argue with me about the games, or the media, or the parenting, whatever. This is my opinion, but I feel justified in expressing it - b/c, again, IMO it all starts at the home.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Infinity TF700 running Android JB (rooted) via Tapatalk HD

Well thought-out & presented. It really is a societal issue that stems from parental responsibility. And I'm offering that from the perspective of having 3 teenage sons. My wife and I made the decision early-on to fore-go certain expenses in order to buck the trend & I gotta say it pays off. If you do your hard parenting early, you won't have to later on.
It's much easier to weather the tantrum of a toddler than one from a teen.

• johnlgalt likes this

#37 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

Antidisestablishmentarianist

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/JohnLGalt
  • Location3rd Rock
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 4 XL 128 GB

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:48 AM

Would you believe that I'm single, never married, and have no kids? (Here it comes....lol)

#38 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

Would you believe that I'm single, never married, and have no kids? (Here it comes....lol)

Well john....just because you don't have children , means nothing :).... you are still a human being, so you are not excluded from feeling the effects of this atrocity..... or having an opinion on it....

sent from my JB RAZR .... tapadriving

• johnlgalt likes this

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#39 Brutus06

Brutus06

Drunken Monk Brewery

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Google+:leereitz12@gmail.com
  • LocationSouth Dakota
  • Current Device(s):Bionic(retired), Lenovo Tablet, Moto G

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

What I don't understand why everyone thinks the solutions to this type of issue is by arming the teachers. How about we take a easier solution? Have all the doors locked with a pass key entry on all of them except the front door where there will be a reception area. That is how my college is designed. The reason the traditions like these happen is due to the fact that anyone can walk into the building and never be questioned. While most businesses buildings are locked downed to unauthorized personal. I don't understand how this was over looked.

#40 satman80

satman80

Gny. Sgt. Hartman

• Administrator
  • 3,159 posts
  • LocationPluto

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

What I don't understand why everyone thinks the solutions to this type of issue is by arming the teachers. How about we take a easier solution? Have all the doors locked with a pass key entry on all of them except the front door where there will be a reception area. That is how my college is designed. The reason the traditions like these happen is due to the fact that anyone can walk into the building and never be questioned. While most businesses buildings are locked downed to unauthorized personal. I don't understand how this was over looked.

I thought the nutcase shot down the glass first when they wouldn't buzz him in?

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users