usmcamgrimm

Berserker

• Developer
  • 958 posts
  • Twitter:@usmcamgrimm
  • LocationMassillon, OH
  • Current Device(s):VZW G3

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:58 PM

Followed Matt's instructions and upgraded WITH root...no issues at all!
  • hectorlumbago likes this

Exodus-Sig%204.png

#642 elvtiv

elvtiv

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:20 AM

Just wanted to confirm that the update works flawlessly if you follow the OP E.X.A.C.T.L.Y! Do not try to take any shortcuts. I am booted with JB 4.1.2 and I have root access. Here's is what I did:

1. Use Matt's utility 1.82 to fastboot back to stock .211
2. Use Matt's utility to download Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper (or just DL from the play store)
3. Use Matt's utility to root
- Be sure to update the binaries!!!!
4. Open Voodoo and Protect root
5. Temp unroot
6. Restore Root
7. Temp unroot again
8. Restore Root again
9. Download the .zip file for the .211 update (in OP) and place on external SD card
10. Boot into stock recovery by turning the phone off, then holding both volume keys, then holding the power key for a couple of seconds.
(You will boot into a black screen with white text. Use the volume down key to scroll to recovery, then press volume up to select.)
11. when you see the Android under maintenance icon, press both volume keys to see the recovery menu.
12. Use volume keys to scroll to "install zip from external storage" and press power to select.
13. Scroll to the .zip file you downloaded earlier and press power to select.
14. Wait for the script to run and install, reboot phone, etc. When you boot up, you should still have voodoo OTA app installed. if not, go to the market and re-download. Select Restore root, and bask in the glory that is Jelly Bean!
  • hectorlumbago likes this

#643 TrueBlueWitt

TrueBlueWitt

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:36 AM

While the superuser app works correctly on my phone, I'm unable to update binaries from 3.0.3.2 to 3.1.1
also "su" from terminal prompt works fine.

Anyone else have this problem or have a solution? I want to get this fixed before flashing JB

I think Titanium backup might have made some change to the permissions on root.. :(

#644 Adevos

Adevos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationVirginia
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR xt912

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:51 AM

Thank you to Matt and everyone else for putting this up and giving great instructions and patiently answering questions. First time I have really used stock recovery like this (used to safestrap ). Update is pretty sweet and everything (including root) is working exactly as was posted. Thx again!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#645 markturk76

markturk76

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:24 AM

tried several times. always says..... E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip (status 7) Installatin aborted.
Any ideas????

#646 meatwad

meatwad

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:38 AM

Has anyone else had issues with GoSms not vibrating the phone? I have the phone set to vibrate on ring but gosms will not make the phone vibrate unless the phone is set to vibrate only.

#647 phatdaddyz01

phatdaddyz01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:40 AM

While the superuser app works correctly on my phone, I'm unable to update binaries from 3.0.3.2 to 3.1.1
also "su" from terminal prompt works fine.

Anyone else have this problem or have a solution? I want to get this fixed before flashing JB

I think Titanium backup might have made some change to the permissions on root..

My SU binary showed 3.0.3.2 in the app, but 3.1.1 on the binary update screen. So I updated it 3 times to be sure. I made sure to follow all the other directions exactly, & updated to JB with root. Once on JB the SU binary showed correctly.

Phatdaddyz JB RAZR MAXX

#648 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:59 AM

tried several times. always says..... E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip (status 7) Installatin aborted.
Any ideas????

Send the whole error. Status 7 tells us absolutely nothing as almost all errors say this after the real error.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#649 mhotovec

mhotovec

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, Fl
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx, Asus TF700

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:44 AM

Matt. Is there any reason to think that a restore via Safestrap V3.05 would NOT work on this JB version?
I've installed SS3 and created a backup of JB stock - everything appeared to work fine.
I'm thinking I'd like to try to install the M launcher and weather so that Circle Widgets will work. However if that hoses up the device somehow I'd like to know that I can easily restore the backup.

Thanks.

#650 lazer

lazer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 287 posts
  • LocationWestern PA

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:58 AM

Matt. Is there any reason to think that a restore via Safestrap V3.05 would NOT work on this JB version?
I've installed SS3 and created a backup of JB stock - everything appeared to work fine.
I'm thinking I'd like to try to install the M launcher and weather so that Circle Widgets will work. However if that hoses up the device somehow I'd like to know that I can easily restore the backup.

Thanks.

I've yet to get any confirmation to my question if it was prudent or "safe" (pardon the pun) to install Safestrap V3.05 AFTER this JB update.

Can anyone confirm this also.

And, Is it possible to get back into any of our ICS Roms in the non-Safe slots if so?

Thanks.

#651 Detonation

Detonation

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationWI
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:04 AM

Did yall see there is no weather app in this jelly bean update i installed the razr m homescreen circle widget app and weather app without out root and it works
Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Dock mode still has weather, so it must be built in somewhere now rather than being a separate app.

#652 Saik0Shinigami

Saik0Shinigami

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Twitter:Saik0Shinigami
  • Google+:Saik0Shinigami

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:29 AM

I've yet to get any confirmation to my question if it was prudent or "safe" (pardon the pun) to install Safestrap V3.05 AFTER this JB update.

Can anyone confirm this also.

And, Is it possible to get back into any of our ICS Roms in the non-Safe slots if so?

Thanks.

Safestrap appears to be fine to install... No you cannot run ICS roms on the non-safe or safe side after this update.

#653 mr4r4n

mr4r4n

OSE-DEV

• Developer
  • 210 posts
  • Twitter:Cobra_CMDR_47
  • LocationNYS

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:43 AM

at the very least just for backup sake would just be awesome

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#654 The Doctor

The Doctor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Twitter:@disc_or_die
  • Google+:plus.google.com/104749243954429604279/
  • LocationAnn Arbor

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:10 AM

I am reading horror story after horror story and I just want to remind folks.....This was a test bed that was accidentally released, it's not even really on the correct kernel. Flash at your own risk!!!! We have a great community with a number of guys willing to help, but just keep in mind that what you do is on your own accord. Yes, there is a HUGE chance you could f%$k your phone.

Big thanks to Matt and all the other devs trying to help folks out and get phones running again. Very good stuff, proud to be part of this community.
  • Nitewolf likes this

#655 bfederspill

bfederspill

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationRoy, Utah
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:11 AM

I flashed the JB update with no problem but I did not update my binaries so I'm not rooted. One little mistake kept me from being rooted, my fault for being in a hurry. I tried matts patch afterwards but it didn't work. Anxiously waiting for Matt's 2.0 JB root program after the new year..... Merry Christmas and Happy New year to all.

#656 BobC43

BobC43

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:14 AM

Followed the OP and sitting here rooted and running just fine.

#657 k1k

k1k

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:15 AM

Followed Matt's instructions and worked perfect. Kept root and its pretty damn snappy. Removed some of the bloat with TB. Thanks Matt!!

#658 mr4r4n

mr4r4n

OSE-DEV

• Developer
  • 210 posts
  • Twitter:Cobra_CMDR_47
  • LocationNYS

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:19 AM

will be getting to work on it after SS backs up the leak, then tb the bloat and some playing around

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#659 joelcableguy

joelcableguy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:25 AM

My experience, FWIW-

Bottom line- I wish I hadn't taken the update. Wasted a bunch of the Christmas holiday messing with this.

Last I checked you wasn't forced into doing anything you didn't want to do, so why come on here complaining about it afterwards.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

#660 Nitewolf

Nitewolf

Member of the BEST android community

• Superuser
  • 643 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:26 AM

For those that are having probs with updating SU binaries, clear data and then try.

Edit: clear the apps data.. not the phone
  • TrueBlueWitt likes this
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users