1212 replies to this topic

#1101 SergeantDroid

SergeantDroid

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:16 PM

Had a slight problem regaining root. Had followed the instructions to the letter, since I was on a JB ROM and had ss3 installed, I fastbooted back to .211 after a factory wipe. Apparently, if you do this wipe AFTER you fastboot to .211 and root and protect with voodoo, you'll lose root AND the backup as well. I went through a few hours of banging my head against the wall and tried every method mentioned here. Found that if you clear the app data cache for your SU, and then reboot, you can use the root restore utility matt provided. otherwise it may not work.
I now have rooted jelly bean goodness thanks to all the hard work from Matt and the other devs out here. My hat is off to you, gentlemen!

I was having problems too. This worked for me. Thanks!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

#1102 Sh0rty 140

Sh0rty 140

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Twitter:@Sh0rtyy_140
  • LocationVirginia
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx, Nexus 7

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

Success......followed the OP to the "T" and I'm now running Jelly Bean rooted!!!!!! The update is fast, smooth and everything seems to be working just fine. Great job guys and keep up the great work!!!!!!!!
"My chick bad, my chick hood.... my chick do stuff that ya chick wish she could!!!!"

#1103 jmp485

jmp485

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Twitter:jmp485

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

I assume that you've seen

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Thanks for providing this link. Hadn't seen this mentioned previously (probably is somewhere rather obvious, but I never saw it). I was able to restore root using the methods listed there.

AWESOME

#1104 Vaffanculo

Vaffanculo

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Twitter:@poopsahoy
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

Followed this guide exactly and was able to restore root no problem after side loading that JB leak. Great guide, Matt!

#1105 SteveMBtech

SteveMBtech

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Google+:stevebergmann6@gmail.com
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

Thats strange because Ive never even had that show up in my battery stats. Have you tried clearing data in backup assistant? The icon in that pic looks like the backup assistant icon so maybe its constantly running. Since the upgrade my battery life has been a lot better and the only 2 high battery draws are screen and Android OS which is normal.

Any ideas why this blur homescreen service is taking up so much of the battery use on my RAZR MAXX?

I took the OTA update and was able to maintain root. I've already done a complete factory reset since without any change.

I'm not using any other launcher. I did try the RAZR M launcher but decided i didn't want it. Did the factory reset after that (I still have root).

This looks like pretty good longevity but I haven't used the phone much this session. Battery life for me is actually worse since the update and I fear this is the culprit?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

#1106 SteveMBtech

SteveMBtech

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Google+:stevebergmann6@gmail.com
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:00 PM

#1107 mej284

mej284

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationCantonment, Fl

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:53 AM

I don't believe there is any way to fix this but will ask.I thought I had updated SU but it appears that I did not and install version is 3.0.3.2 instead of 3.1.1 is there any way to fix this root is not acting correctly.

#1108 theermine

theermine

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:30 AM

I don't believe there is any way to fix this but will ask.I thought I had updated SU but it appears that I did not and install version is 3.0.3.2 instead of 3.1.1 is there any way to fix this root is not acting correctly.

Some have had success with "

". If you try this you will likely have to switch your phone to MTP mode instead of Mass Storage, or it might not work.

I used the below method to fix mine:

Go to

and download Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip
Open up that file, and copy out the files Superuser.apk and su, put them somewhere on your desktop, say c:\tmp
cd c:\tmp
adb push Superuser.apk /data/local/tmp
adb push su /data/local/tmp
adb shell
su
(you should have the # prompt at this point...if you don't, you don't have "half-root" like I did, and this won't work.)
cd /system/bin
mount -o rw,remount /system
mv su su-backup
cp /data/local/tmp/su .
chmod 06755 su
cd /system/app
cp /data/local/tmp/Superuser.apk .
chmod 644 Superuser.apk

Reboot, then all should be good.

#1109 mej284

mej284

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationCantonment, Fl

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:45 AM

Some have had success with "

". If you try this you will likely have to switch your phone to MTP mode instead of Mass Storage, or it might not work.

I used the below method to fix mine:

Go to

and download Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip
Open up that file, and copy out the files Superuser.apk and su, put them somewhere on your desktop, say c:\tmp
cd c:\tmp
adb push Superuser.apk /data/local/tmp
adb push su /data/local/tmp
adb shell
su
(you should have the # prompt at this point...if you don't, you don't have "half-root" like I did, and this won't work.)
cd /system/bin
mount -o rw,remount /system
mv su su-backup
cp /data/local/tmp/su .
chmod 06755 su
cd /system/app
cp /data/local/tmp/Superuser.apk .
chmod 644 Superuser.apk

Reboot, then all should be good.

Thank you, first method I already tried. But second method worked once I updated my SDK on my laptop and remembered how to use adb. I thank you for your quick response and your assistance.

#1110 theermine

theermine

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:47 AM

Thank you, first method I already tried. But second method worked once I updated my SDK on my laptop and remembered how to use adb. I thank you for your quick response and your assistance.

Glad I was able to help. It took me quite a while to find that procedure. Credit goes to searches on XDA though. :)

#1111 killa_beatz

killa_beatz

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:27 AM

Can someone post a link on how to do the ADB/ SDK commands?? I have absolutely no knowledge of this process. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

#1112 SpyderMan

SpyderMan

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:36 AM

killa, there is a tutorial, should be in 'how to' section.

Good luck!
Posted Image

Sig Created by Thach

#1113 killa_beatz

killa_beatz

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:40 AM

killa, there is a tutorial, should be in 'how to' section.

Good luck!

Thanks!.. I'm going to check it out now.. lost root doing the JB update and no other method has worked for me as of yet. Hopefully this is the golden egg.

#1114 bugly

bugly

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Twitter:@stigbugly
  • LocationTacoma, Washington, USA

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

bugly,

thanks for sharing; but I could use some clarification:

since I'm reading this on my Razr-sized screen, & you didn't break up the text into 'paragraphs' based on the chronological order, i'm confused… not trying to diss you, just explain my confounded understanding…

I thought w/this update, you can't run Matt's 182 util to Fastboot back to 211; so I'm guessing you were on an ICS-based JB rom, or Matt's util wouldn't help… & since it did, you should know that 182 is like getting a Stock update OTA & everything is wiped like it just came out of the Verizon showroom…

So please clarify which steps you took in what order, b/c I have the feeling that the last bit about wiping app data cache could be very, very valuable once it is understood in context & I'm considering taking the plunge to JB, so any input youcan further share would be very valuable & much appreciated…

thanks in advance & good work on that root fix you got…

sorry for the mix-up. I followed the instructions Matt posted, due to being on an ICS based JB ROM (black widow) so I could start fresh.
I wiped data/cache AFTER I fastbooted/rooted/saved root with VooDoo. This is where I think I messed it up.
Since SU was in my app drawer after all my apps downloaded, I went into the "manage apps" and cleared the data cache for SU, this didn't work to reatore root, I used matts repair utility for root, still didn't work, so i rebooted and tried it again. That worked. It may have been a fluke, but rebooting seems to have made it better. Maybe there was info still in RAM or something.
I do tend to run on, I'm sorry about that. lol

#1115 SpyderMan

SpyderMan

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:24 PM

bugly, thanks for the clarification

it helps to see what others have done, I'm still holding out, but getting closer to taking the plunge

relating your experience helped- but bullet points of the main thrust of ea. point would've worked for me. but thanks for the whole story...&

I see there are already a bunch of roms for JB!

Guess I'm waiting for the official release later this month & more importantly, FastBoot files… but what I've seen here definitely helps me, so thank you & everyone else again.

Posted Image

Sig Created by Thach

#1116 lycanhntr

lycanhntr

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

Question if we install the leak ota jb rom and a new version is released as the official ota later on will we be able to go through with the install or will we be stuck on the leak? This is in the case where safestrap is installed and rooted

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#1117 ViaCapita

ViaCapita

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Twitter:twitter.com/luekassvaya

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:12 PM

Still somewhat new to the more advanced workings of Android and Root but I have a question. I was able to successfully install the leak on my razr and keep root but the next day the earpiece quit working and Verizon just sent me a new one. Without thinking I attempted to perform the update again but forgot to update the SU Binary (I know, reread the directions next time) before backing it up.

I did everything else in the instructions and updated to Jelly Bean and lost root. Now I still have the superuser.apk and SU on my Sdcard but no SU binary in the System/bin. In my system folder I can see the SU backup though. In the OTA rootkeep app I get the below values:

Super User app installed : yes
Device Rooted : No
Root permission granted: No
/System supports root protection: Yes
Protected Su Copy Available : Yes

When I click Restore root I'm told that my root su back is deleted, then root su protected, then root su restored.

My question is, can I get my root back? I can't seem to push the SU binary through ADB but I'm new to ADB so I may be doing it incorrectly.

Any ideas or am I out of luck?

Thanks in advance.

#1118 lte

lte

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:49 PM

Apparently the su update somehow went back to an old version... I know for a fact I updated before the rom flash
now I could not use su for anything but apps that already had it, so I did another update and for the moment it works...

This is weird!

#1119 The_Chupacabra

The_Chupacabra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationLawton OK

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:28 AM

Still somewhat new to the more advanced workings of Android and Root but I have a question. I was able to successfully install the leak on my razr and keep root but the next day the earpiece quit working and Verizon just sent me a new one. Without thinking I attempted to perform the update again but forgot to update the SU Binary (I know, reread the directions next time) before backing it up.

I did everything else in the instructions and updated to Jelly Bean and lost root. Now I still have the superuser.apk and SU on my Sdcard but no SU binary in the System/bin. In my system folder I can see the SU backup though. In the OTA rootkeep app I get the below values:

Super User app installed : yes
Device Rooted : No
Root permission granted: No
/System supports root protection: Yes
Protected Su Copy Available : Yes

When I click Restore root I'm told that my root su back is deleted, then root su protected, then root su restored.

My question is, can I get my root back? I can't seem to push the SU binary through ADB but I'm new to ADB so I may be doing it incorrectly.

Any ideas or am I out of luck?

Thanks in advance.

Use Matt's RestoreRoot.zip that should get you back.

#1120 ViaCapita

ViaCapita

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Twitter:twitter.com/luekassvaya

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

Use Matt's RestoreRoot.zip that should get you back.

After trying that It tells me that it cannot find the su in the system/bin.

Unable to chmod /system/bin/su: No such file or directory
/systen/bin/sh: su: not found
1425 KB/s (91992 bytes in 0.063s)
2162 KB/s (1020803 bytes in 0.461s)
/system/bin/sh: su: not found
"Rebooting..."
If the above id shows 0 then you are rooted. Press any key to exit.

I think that my SU backup is in the wrong location. I have su-backup under the /system but not /system/bin. I have the su on my /sdcard,

Any ideas how I can get Matt's utility to find my su or su-backup (I'm not sure which one it needs)?

Or am I out of luck since its not already under /system?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users