johnlgalt

Antidisestablishmentarianist

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/JohnLGalt
  • Location3rd Rock
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 4 XL 128 GB

Posted 18 March 2016 - 09:09 PM

Dude. When I took the OTA the first go around, there were 12 or do apps that need to update. When Google play started updating them, the phone ground to a halt. After removing encryption, the phone updated 87, and later 104, apps in the background, and I barely noticed. It is that bad. Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

#202 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,505 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 19 March 2016 - 04:20 AM

Maybe so but I believe in strong security.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Non potest esse nisi unus

#203 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,505 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 01:01 PM

Just giving you guys and gals a heads up.  I've been slowly working on HoN 1.9.  The windows side of it is completed.  The bash side (Windows 10 lol, Linux, Mac) is not yet quite complete so I won't be releasing it just yet.  But to give you a little insight into what I've done....

o) Added device prefix code taken from the factory image name....the device is always at the start of the image name...shamu, bullhead, etc

o) Added checks for kernel and recovery to ensure they have the device name in them.  This is a major change that COULD impact you if your TWRP version does NOT contain the name of your device that matches the factory image.  You WILL need to rename it if it does not.  E.G. twrp-3.0.0-1-shamu.img.  If it does NOT contain the device name that matches the factory image you're using, it will NOT add it to the generated script.  This is by design.  The same rules apply to the custom kernels added to the BOOT directory.  This is a safety measure to ensure you are flashing the proper files to your device.

o) Added an option to ask for reboot at the end of the process.  Still working on this option for bash which is why it's not released yet.

o) Added sideloading for SuperSU zip.  Basically it'll memory boot twrp for you (no flashing of TWRP required), instruct you on getting into sideload mode in TWRP, and then use adb to sideload SuperSU for you.

That's what 1.9 will ultimately contain.  I'm not sure when I'll have time to finish it and release it.

• rickw, Sabres032 and spainter like this

#204 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,505 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 01:22 PM

House of Nexus 1.9 Released

WARNING: Read FULLY before using this release!!!

o) Device name taken from factory image and used to find TWRP and Custom Kernels.  The img files for TWRP and custom kernels MUST contain the device name for them to be added to the generated script

o) SuperSU sideloading added.  Copy the SuperSU zip to the SUPERSU directory before you generate the script

o) Ask for device reboot at the end of flashing.  

BUG: There is a Linux/Mac bug where if SuperSU is detected and you opt not to install it, the script will not ask you if you want to reboot or not.  It simply will not do so.  Reboot manually in that situation.  

I will fix it when I get to it but I didn't want to hold up the release for such a minor bug.

This version requires testing!!!!!!!!!!!  If you are not brave enough to test it then wait for others to provide feedback.  I will not be around much this weekend so you guys and gals are on your own.

• rickw, johnlgalt, matjmonk and 3 others like this

#205 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 01 April 2016 - 01:29 PM

no SUPERSU folder created on the Mac....maybe thats the hangup :)

EDIT: Fixed :)

First as I mentioned, the SUPERSU folder was not created.

Second your missing the code for the noSuperSU function as you had in previous scripts

I created the folder, tweaked the function to read:

function noSuperSU() {
fastboot reboot
echo "Rebooting..."
}

and also had to swipe to start the sideload under TWRP but it all worked nicely

As ALWAYS THANKS Sam!

• johnlgalt likes this

#206 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 01 April 2016 - 01:54 PM

P.S. --- I did NOT test anything else but the SuperSU section of the script....

• johnlgalt likes this

#207 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,505 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 06:29 AM

I'll look at it. Guess I missed one of the references. And the zip creation is supposed to create the supersu directory so it's a bug. Might be a couple days before I get to it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• johnlgalt and cmh714 like this

#208 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 02 April 2016 - 07:00 AM

Awesome, time to play. Are you going to add the option to live boot TWRP as opposed to installing it? Or did you already do that? Sent from my Nexus 6 running N Preview via TapaTalk

#209 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,505 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 10:20 AM

That's been there since the beginning.

#210 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 02 April 2016 - 10:32 AM

Did not know that - As I never actually installed TWRP I did not include it in the folder lol.

#211 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,505 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 12:01 PM

If it finds it, it'll prompt you to install it during the script run.  If you opt for SuperSU, it would boot twrp from memory and prompt you some old instructions for allowing twrp to install the su binary.  That clearly no longer works so I've updated it to do an adb sideload.  But it'll memory boot twrp for you during the SuperSU install instructions.

• johnlgalt, Sabres032 and spainter like this

#212 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,505 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 05:58 AM

no SUPERSU folder created on the Mac....maybe thats the hangup :)

EDIT: Fixed :)

First as I mentioned, the SUPERSU folder was not created.

Second your missing the code for the noSuperSU function as you had in previous scripts

I created the folder, tweaked the function to read:

function noSuperSU() {
fastboot reboot
echo "Rebooting..."
}

and also had to swipe to start the sideload under TWRP but it all worked nicely

As ALWAYS THANKS Sam!

I see what you're saying now.  Yes, the code was removed from that function intentionally.  This is what I meant about not finishing the Linux/Mac code.  I don't want it automatically rebooting like that.  This is what I said in my release notes.  I'm going to attempt to finish that functionality now but it's not a bug.  I don't want that code there.  The SUPERSU missing dir is fixed in my build script now so that'll be done in the next release.  We'll see how this goes cause what I want to do for that noSuperSU function I've never tried before so I'm going to need to test it.

• johnlgalt likes this

#213 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 04 April 2016 - 06:29 AM

Understood on your code change, however, the empty function is what threw the error for me, so you need something in there for whatever reason...

• johnlgalt likes this

#214 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,505 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 06:31 AM

Stupid macs.  ;)

• johnlgalt and cmh714 like this

#215 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,505 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 06:45 AM

House of Nexus 1.9.1 released

o) Added missing SUPERSU directory...woops

o) Finished up the Linux/Mac functionality for asking about reboot at the end of the process

o) Added missing message to swipe to start ADB sideload in twrp

Important information for windows users.  Unless bugs are found, this is the last version that will contain batch files.  Starting once the Windows 10 Anniversary Update is publicly released, the House of Nexus is moving to bash scripts for universal functionality across Linux/Mac/Windows platforms.  This will make my life a LOT easier in maintaining this going forward.  If you are not using Windows 10 you'll have a few options that will be discussed once this change happens. This will likely be a 2.0 release.

• johnlgalt, matjmonk, Sabres032 and 2 others like this

#216 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,505 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 09:34 AM

Just used 1.9.1 on Windows to install the new N6 build.  I like the flow now.  Asking for reboot is nice.

#217 Sabres032

Sabres032

Large and in charge EMS minion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,515 posts
  • LocationWayward USA
  • Current Device(s):Google Pixel 2 XL

Posted 04 April 2016 - 10:19 AM

Just used 1.9.1 on Windows to install the new N6 build.  I like the flow now.  Asking for reboot is nice.

I'm brave and will give this a try. I'll post my results once complete. 

Thanks for this wonderful piece of coding magic.... 

• johnlgalt likes this

IMG_12705794666508.jpeg

Sent from my Marine World N6 or my Nexus 7 2013 WiFi I'll let you figure out which.

#218 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,505 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 10:39 AM

Enjoy.  We may get a new version later if I get motivated as there's a change I want to make to the sideload code that will help in case it goes horribly wrong or if you already have the zip on your phone and just want to flash it with twrp instead of sideloading.  But I've already been messing with the code for other non-user facing things so I have to finish what I'm doing first.  It'll make my life easier down the road.

#219 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,505 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 11:11 AM

Ok, screw you, Linux.  I just installed the update on my son's NX5x and he finally decided to root it.  So I ran it under my Linux VM to see if it'd work.  Installed the update no problem.  However, sideload failed because adb on Linux doesn't like to be run as sudo.  FFS...

• johnlgalt likes this

#220 Sabres032

Sabres032

Large and in charge EMS minion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,515 posts
  • LocationWayward USA
  • Current Device(s):Google Pixel 2 XL

Posted 04 April 2016 - 11:14 AM

Enjoy.  We may get a new version later if I get motivated as there's a change I want to make to the sideload code that will help in case it goes horribly wrong or if you already have the zip on your phone and just want to flash it with twrp instead of sideloading.  But I've already been messing with the code for other non-user facing things so I have to finish what I'm doing first.  It'll make my life easier down the road.

Went smooth as butter. I did make one mistake but it wasn't devastating. I tried to SuperSU my device during the upgrade process but accidentally pressed any key before my device was in ADB side load mode. Dumb on my part I know, but no big deal. While I was still in TWRP, I just transferred the latest SuperSU zip to the root of my device and then flashed. Device is all updated with root access. 

• johnlgalt and SamuriHL like this

IMG_12705794666508.jpeg

Sent from my Marine World N6 or my Nexus 7 2013 WiFi I'll let you figure out which.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users