• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#101 nailbomb3

nailbomb3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:43 PM

Their twitter is saying that it'll be rolling out Q1.

That was About the time frame we saw after the first ics leaks. Two months or so

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#102 jburchii

jburchii

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr xt912

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

Screenshots 4shared for sqlite must be version 1.5

Where do i get that circle widget?

#103 Jimmy8881

Jimmy8881

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:53 PM

Hello again everyone!

With the JB file being leaked, there are a lot of questions flying around on the forums and chat room so I'd like to build an article addressing many of the frequently asked questions!

What happened and why did I not get the OTA?

This question is fairly simple, someone turned the OTA on when they shouldn't have. Motorola caught the error and was able to terminate the OTA update in flight. This is why many of you may have had "Download failed". I have a RAZR MAXX Limited Edition and was able to successfully pull the entire OTA down before they cut it off. My wife's MAXX, however, cut off about halfway through. That should give you an idea of just how quickly they killed the transfers.

Is this the official version?

Yes and no. Yes, in that all sources that I've spoken with have said that this will, more than likely, be the final build that will be pushed OTA [NOT FULLY CONFIRMED YET]. No, in that the OTA push was accidental. Meaning someone pushed the "go, baby, go!" button a little prematurely. Also, according to Tier 2 tech support if your phone received the update in its entirety then consider it a "Christmas present from Motorola".

If I want to update, what should I expect?

Well, you should expect a fully functional JB update that has many improvements, mostly in speed and performance. I've noticed a very significant decrease in boot time and much more fluid swiping.

One thing that's very important to understand is that if you don't follow the instructions to the letter on mattlgroff's thread, you will lose root.

UPDATED: SS3.05 does in fact work on JB.

Are there any known issues or programs that no longer work?

Yes, FoxFi will not work, period. When you try to activate the hotspot, it will simply reboot the OS after it performs "Checking subscription status". For the time being, you can use the built in "VZW Mobile Hotspot".

NOTE: The VZW Hotspot WILL work with unlimited data using the SQLite hack!

What are the prerequisites?

This is VERY IMPORTANT!! You MUST be on system version .211. There is NO WAY around this. If you are on .215, you will need to fastboot back to stock .211.

What else should I know?

There is NO GOING BACK TO ICS at this time. This is for the same reason that we couldn't go back to GB from ICS, the bootloader version and signature changed so if you try, you will probably get a flash failure.

There are NO FASTBOOT FILES FOR JB......yet. Simply put, once you're on JB there a very small safety net so modding may cause issues. Until we get the FB files, there's no "Wiping and trying again".

If you have ANY additional questions, post them in the comments section. I'll add a placeholder to answer any questions you all may have!

Dont know if the fix for the gallery has been posted, but to fix the duplicate albums,
go to Settings > Apps > All> Media Storage > select clear data and reboot your phone.
  • PillClinton likes this

#104 1two

1two

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:02 PM

I was able to install JB without any issues after using Matt's 1.82 utility to get back on 4.0.4.211. And for some great reason I was able to keep root. I see a lot of posts from people that lost it so I was excited to see it kept. I was a little worred since I was running a 4.2.1 ROM but all went well.

How do I get the circle clock widget? I do not see it listed with the other widgets.

#105 djholograf

djholograf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Current Device(s):Motorola Droid RAZR XT912

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:21 PM

Clock circle widget isn't part of the jb ota leak. You can get it from the razr m launcher though.

#106 1two

1two

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:07 AM

Clock circle widget isn't part of the jb ota leak. You can get it from the razr m launcher though.

Thanks!

#107 p0etikill

p0etikill

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr XT912

Posted 28 December 2012 - 01:25 PM

Just a Tip to anyone that may ave bricked their device trying to fastboot back to ICS like me. Ignored the posts saying not to and payed the price but luckily got up and running again. What I did ...

1. I flashed the fastboot sbf file and it locked me out
2. Visited this page

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

3. Re flashed the JB kernel with this utility
4. Went into stock recovery and re installed the update JB file.
5. This obviously will get you back to stock settings but it un bricks your device.

#108 jimd1050

jimd1050

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:10 PM

DL'd the RAZR M Launcher zip, and ripped the zip file open with Es File explorer, then removed the Homescreen.apk, CirclesWidget.apk, and the Weather.apk, then just installed them normally. :D

Edit: A FYI, There are two versions floating around. The Atrix HD and RAZR M. I know it's a small difference, but I like the alarm icon on the RAZR M's circle widget, and the placement of the date on top and the alarm icon on bottom, as opposed to the Atrix HD's which are reversed. Otherwise, everything else between the two are the same.

Do you need to have Root Privaleges to get these to work? I just put all three files on my SD Card, installed them one at a time (Homescreen, Weather followed by Circles) - went to place the circle widget and got the message "This Widget does not work with third party launchers" - how do I activate the Razr M Launcher? Thanks for your research!
Regards, Jim D

#109 robocuff

robocuff

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:21 PM

You should just have to press on the home key and it'll prompt you as to which launcher you want to use. Perhaps clear the defaults for your current launcher. Also try rebooting if you haven't done so already however I've never had to do either one of those things. I've always installed them and the first time I press on home after installing it gives me the prompt. Things may be different with this leak though. Don't know as I haven't installed it.

#110 JJT211

JJT211

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx HD

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:58 PM

JB sucks .....I have had nothing but Issues with it since I got it......battery is horrible My widgets aren't working....Data is almost nonexistent and 4G is a joke..... and to top it off no circles as advertised on other jb forums.......Am I wrong but isn't the circles included in Jb?? .perhaps I was spoiled by all the JB ROMs with the circle widgets.....and navigation keys but all in all this is a deal breaker for me I will be forced to dump VZW ......I need a phone that works.....is it me perhaps the update was very premature

You must've screwed something up along the way....This update is wayyyyyy smoother than any ROM ive ever used.....

By FAR the best Android update yet!
  • Cirrus likes this

#111 djholograf

djholograf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationSouthern California
  • Current Device(s):Motorola Droid RAZR XT912

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:15 PM

You must've screwed something up along the way....This update is wayyyyyy smoother than any ROM ive ever used.....

By FAR the best Android update yet!

I completely agree. This update rocks and performs really well. My phone runs much smoother with the jb ota leak than it did with any other ics/jb based custom rom or even official ics. I didn't like any of the jb based custom roms bc of the lack of functionality with certain features. I said how i loved ics over jb any day... Until the leak by Motorola. Now I love jb!

• Cirrus likes this

#112 Dave12308

Dave12308

"The Don"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,939 posts
  • LocationSchenectady, NY - 518 Represent!
  • Current Device(s):Motorola X 2014 (AT&T - Biggest MISTAKE! i've EVER made), ASUS Padfone X (Thanks, Kaos!)

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:57 PM

Who said that upping to JB would replace the kernel? It's a minor upgrade in the grand scheme of things. No reason to believe they'd do a full rebuild on the kernel for a relatively minor upgrade. Also, the kernel is slightly different, just minor tweaks and tunes. Build date is newer so obviously it was rebuilt at some point.

Because by definition, and according to Google; JB is supposed to use a newer Linux kernel - v3.0.31

Also, whatever the source of your information; it deviates from other info in different threads posted by members who generally have very reliable sources. Apparently, shortly after this debacle they were already in the process of rebuilding with a true JB kernel. This is according to our own Bionic Moot Master, sargenmajord.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#113 jmberumenb

jmberumenb

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:28 PM

Hi There!!

Well I get the update and (for now) works just flawless no issues for me in any matter/way

But however, I'm unable to root my device :(

Is there a chance to root my beloved MAXX?

Thanks a lot!!!

#114 jtelander

jtelander

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:37 AM

Before updating to JB blue tooth, voice dialing worked very well. The system recognized the names in my contacts and the system confirmed the voice commands so I could be sure it was dialing correctly.

With JB, voice dialing is totally inaccurate. It never recognizes anything I say..never, not even once. To make matters worse, it does not confirm the command to be sure it heard me correctly, and simply starts dialing...the wrong number.....which causes me to scramble to manually disconnect the call before I call the wrong person.

I routinely make a couple of dozen voice activated phone calls per day while on the road. Voice dialing is an important safety feature and this is a deal breaker for me if I can't get it fixed.

#115 robocuff

robocuff

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:16 AM

If you're rooted you can get the old voice dialer back by converting Google search to a user app. Once you've done this, the first time you use voice dialing you'll be prompted as to whether you want to use Google search or voice commands. Select voice commands and and then press always. Problem solved. ;)

#116 rickw

rickw

corvette dude

• Administrator
  • 1,951 posts
  • Google+:rickwebb001@gmail.com
  • LocationDelaware
  • Current Device(s):S4 dev edition,moto x dev,Nexus 6

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:21 AM

deal breaker?

#117 jtelander

jtelander

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:38 AM

If you're rooted you can get the old voice dialer back by converting Google search to a user app.

Thanks...I'll search for instructions on how to convert it to a user app.

I need the voice dialer to work with the bluetooth headset in hands free mode with dialing activated by the headset...which it did very nicely in ICS.

#118 robocuff

robocuff

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:44 AM

deal breaker?

Well, if you have to rely on voice dialing, I can see how it could be. The Google search dialer is really pretty much worthless. At least it is for me. Never gets anything right and like jtelander said, it doesn't confirm things. Just takes off and does what it wants and that's NEVER the right thing. At least that's my experience with it.
  • jtelander likes this

#119 jtelander

jtelander

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:47 AM

deal breaker?

yep.... one way or another I must have hands-free voice dialing without taking my eyes off the road while driving.

#120 lb2004

lb2004

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:41 AM

Don't know what I did but my phone is now unusable. Updated to jellybean been running it with only some random gapp fc errors. I installed safestrap at which time I couldn't go into the system settings menu. I rebooted the phone and I get the boot sound but no screen. It vibrates like its loaded but I can't do anything.
  • lb2004 likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users