What Do You Use? Bootstrap Or Safestrap?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

Poll: Choose your CWR preference. (208 member(s) have cast votes)

What recovery do you use more?

1. Voted BootStrap (75 votes [34.56%])

Percentage of vote: 34.56%

2. Voted SafeStrap (142 votes [65.44%])

Percentage of vote: 65.44%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Guest_DirtyDroidX_*

Guest_DirtyDroidX_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:19 AM

Well the title says it all folks. Me and Hashcode where talking yesterday and he will be making some great changes for us. He asked me to post this topic . So I made a poll. If you don't mind, please describe why you use your recovery of choice. Also if you use both of them, you can check both box's.

Thank you,
Your favorite neighborhood Admin

Edited by DirtyDroidX, 01 February 2012 - 05:21 AM.

• brandonb likes this

#2 Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd

Freak on a Leash

• Administrator
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWindy City
  • Current Device(s):x13 Dev Ed & x14 Pure Ed & Droid Turbo

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:36 AM

I choose to use both. Why no reason really. I do prefer SS atm as backups and restores work correctly. Without having offical bootstrap it is hit or miss if CWR will restore a backup you made from before flashing something. That said I went with SS for awhile so the main partition would stay put and I could mess aroudn with 2nd partition ( ie /preinstall ) for flashing different ROMs. The only problem wiht SS imo is the fact that is trashed /preinstall so it makes it hard for folks to get an OTA update to take if they don't know what to do. Otherwise it will fail nonStop becasue the Assert checks of the update fail do to files/folders missing from /preinstall after having to wipe it so you can flash a ROM with safe mode enabled. Really not a hard fix but you need to be smart enought to make a copy of what is in the /Preinstall folder before you enable safe mode to flash a ROM.

That all said I'll use either one as it makes no difference to me really. But it would be great for the masses if we can at least get a fully fucntioning CWR workg for backups and restores for folks who do NOT want to mess wiht dual boot setup that SS gives us.
  • matthewleecochran likes this

#3 Guest_DirtyDroidX_*

Guest_DirtyDroidX_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:53 AM

I choose to use both. Why no reason really. I do prefer SS atm as backups and restores work correctly. Without having offical bootstrap it is hit or miss if CWR will restore a backup you made from before flashing something. That said I went with SS for awhile so the main partition would stay put and I could mess aroudn with 2nd partition ( ie /preinstall ) for flashing different ROMs. The only problem wiht SS imo is the fact that is trashed /preinstall so it makes it hard for folks to get an OTA update to take if they don't know what to do. Otherwise it will fail nonStop becasue the Assert checks of the update fail do to files/folders missing from /preinstall after having to wipe it so you can flash a ROM with safe mode enabled. Really not a hard fix but you need to be smart enought to make a copy of what is in the /Preinstall folder before you enable safe mode to flash a ROM.

That all said I'll use either one as it makes no difference to me really. But it would be great for the masses if we can at least get a fully fucntioning CWR workg for backups and restores for folks who do NOT want to mess wiht dual boot setup that SS gives us.

Thanks AIX ;) also can you link your preinstall fixer for ppl that did not see it. That comes in handy.

Also being for now,CWR is not the most dependable restore option. I will post a guide on how to restore a nandroid in ADB

#4 DroidTh3ory

DroidTh3ory

Developer

• Developer
  • 648 posts
  • Twitter:@droidth3ory
  • LocationTroy, Michigan

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:04 AM

Perfect World?? I have spoken with Hash about this also... SafeStrap with a Primary /system flash option. It would be great to be able to have ONE recovery installed with the choice to flash your primary system, or in a safe environment for testing those mods and ROMs that you have a feeling aren't going to really work, but you have to try. Lol.

It would save sooo much time and headache developing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
  • matthewleecochran likes this

#5 (TSON)

(TSON)

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:09 AM

I also talked to the init2winit team, the people that are responsible for Boot Manager ... they're gonna look into bringing us some goodies.

#6 Thach

Thach

Motorola Fanboy

• Administrator
  • 2,364 posts
  • Twitter:thach2639
  • Google+:Thach26
  • LocationGrand Forks ND
  • Current Device(s):OG Droid, Droid X, Droid X2, Droid Razr, Droid Bionic, Droid Xyboard 8.2, Nexus 7

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:25 AM

Bootstrap for me. With the fast boot files now, I have no worries about bricking the phone since all I do is flash the roms or themes. I am not making any other cosmetic changes to roms. With the fast boot files now, I have less worries about bricking and if I do something that I can't recover from at all then I will just get a new phone. I have no yet had a issue restoring a backup in bootstrap either.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Thach%20Admin%20device%20list.png

#7 subiedude

subiedude

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Twitter:@subiedude85

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:54 AM

Safestrap for me. Relatively new to the custom world and just made an educated guess after some research on what is the easiest and safest to use.

#8 captmilk

captmilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Twitter:Captmilk
  • LocationErie, PA
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx HD

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:08 AM

I'm a little leery of the safe strap method. I come from the IT Desktop support world and I always like to give the OS of any system plenty of drive space. Running two OS's on the same small drive space seems not beneficial in performance terms. Just an opinion not fact. I'm open to trying it though because I love messing around with my Razr.
  • dbroad2007 likes this

#9 Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd

Freak on a Leash

• Administrator
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWindy City
  • Current Device(s):x13 Dev Ed & x14 Pure Ed & Droid Turbo

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:18 AM

Perfect World?? I have spoken with Hash about this also... SafeStrap with a Primary /system flash option. It would be great to be able to have ONE recovery installed with the choice to flash your primary system, or in a safe environment for testing those mods and ROMs that you have a feeling aren't going to really work, but you have to try. Lol.

It would save sooo much time and headache developing.

That is a great idea and it would be a totally sweet setup if it is possible to do without casuing to much trouble. Btw man I'm going to shoot you a PM about something for restoring tha tmaybe you can assist with if you ahve time and are willing. Will help alot of folks I think getting back to an operational .744 or .748 so OTAs work fine if someone has played with SS and messed up there /Preinstall folder. Don't want to clutter this up so I'mm send it directly to you.

@DDX yeah I can do that but as I just commented to DT let me shoot him the PM with my idea first as it may jus tmake everythign eaiser for all of us until we get a fuly operational CWR for backups and restores

#10 Justibasa

Justibasa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Twitter:@justibasa

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:41 AM

safestrap right now. But thinking of going to bootstrap as soon as IC3 camera is working and staying with that.

#11 BigJArm

BigJArm

• Developer
  • 212 posts
  • LocationIdaho
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR; Nexus 10

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:13 PM

I use SS because that was what was recomended when I first got my phone (before the fastboot files). I am comfortable with it and so haven't changed. I don't like eating up storage space with the backups though. I have never actually gone back to the original ROM using SS before.

#12 kl0wn

kl0wn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:24 PM

I use both. Bootstrap tor flashing main system, and safestrap for testing.

#13 Tmc363

Tmc363

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Twitter:@tmc363
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:59 PM

Well the title says it all folks. Me and Hashcode where talking yesterday and he will be making some great changes for us. He asked me to post this topic . So I made a poll. If you don't mind, please describe why you use your recovery of choice. Also if you use both of them, you can check both box's.

Thank you,
Your favorite neighborhood Admin

I use bootstrap

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk
Posted Image

Donate $10 or more to our Phones For Devs Giveaway and get a Custom Forum title and help the Make a wish Foundation details here: http://www.droidrzr....-custom-titles/

#14 pasinato

pasinato

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Twitter:tonypasinato@hotmail.com

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:02 PM

I use SS and don't think I will ever move away from it. If you change roms out when they are pushed out, it is the only way to go. Saw a couple posts about it taking up space. I put the backup on my SD-EXT card. I manage the back ups and keep the ones I like and delete the ones I don't; without issue. I have a 64gig SD card in my RAZR, becuase I like my music and movies when I am on the road. Anyone who claims storage as an issues for backups just need to do a little management.
  • lugnuttz and dbroad2007 like this

#15 superstargoddess

superstargoddess

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:03 PM

I used Safestrap until a couple of days ago. Then I switched over to Bootstrap since Safestrap annoys the crap out of me. Just used Safestrap starting out when I was unsure of myself with my new Razr.
  • dbroad2007 likes this
- Motorola Droid RAZR [IC3Razr- always most recent]

#16 mac208x

mac208x

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:36 AM

Bootstrap for now but I'm going to try safe trap as I'm curious and dual os sounds awesome lol

#17 tumbleweed65

tumbleweed65

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Twitter:tumblweed65
  • Google+:kend65
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:27 PM

I use bootstrap mostly because ss kept messing up my backups (after a backup the md5 it created didn't match and couldn't restore).
secondly I rarely went back to the stock ROM anyway so why have the extra data on there taking up space.

#18 knights665

knights665

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Twitter:nicckl66

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:08 AM

bootstrap it just feels morre familiar to me and i dont worry about bricking now cuz of the fastboot files
  • dbroad2007 likes this

#19 benefit14snake

benefit14snake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:58 AM

I use bootstrap. Dont like having to screw with my preinstall folder.

#20 vannope

vannope

n00b

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationJersey City, NJ

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:50 AM

Bootstrap. I'm always doing something to my RAZR, and having Fastboot lets me be a bit more adventuresome then I'd be without it. It's a Linus thing. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users