What Do You Use? Bootstrap Or Safestrap?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

Poll: Choose your CWR preference. (208 member(s) have cast votes)

What recovery do you use more?

1. Voted BootStrap (75 votes [34.56%])

Percentage of vote: 34.56%

2. Voted SafeStrap (142 votes [65.44%])

Percentage of vote: 65.44%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 zoo16

zoo16

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:45 AM

Bootstrap for me. I don't plan on flashing ROMs for now, and I'm familiar with Bootstrap from previous phones.

#22 got556

got556

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Twitter:@got556
  • LocationChicago

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:44 PM

safestrap b/c I'm a crackflasher and flash a lot of stuff that may or may not work.
Posted Image

#23 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:04 PM

Safestrap so I can get back to stock when I need to for my Lapdock, etc.

Posted Image

Become a supporting member and help, get a DEV a phone, by going HERE

Please take the time to read our forum rules and guidelines.

#24 mlgneo

mlgneo

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Twitter:semitex
  • LocationPA

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:20 PM

safestrap :)

#25 Guest_droidpcguru_*

Guest_droidpcguru_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:07 PM

I haven't tried safestrap yet. Dual booting seems like an awesome idea, i just haven't had the need to do so yet, as im usually too busy just using my Razr for about everything its capable of.

Maybe once the ICS roms are almost 100% I may try though, just so I can select which rom I'd like to use for the day.

#26 MyStro023

MyStro023

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Twitter:mystropro

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:01 AM

Safestrap... because I can always dual boot back into stock. =0)

#27 cynnar

cynnar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:38 PM

Using Safestrap, but I did install bootstrap, make a backup, and learn how to uninstall.
I tend to question things I disbelieve are true. Some people cannot handle that. Sorry if you are one of those people.

#28 scottysize

scottysize

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Twitter:scottysize
  • Google+:scottysize
  • LocationSanger, TX

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:38 PM

Bootstrape because i ran into a ROM that didn't work with SS. However, SS is faster at backing up and restoring. I'd prefer SafeStape.

RAZR No Longer.  Currently running the LG G2 and HTC One (M8)

Time for Moto to update the line!

#29 DSGMach1

DSGMach1

Themer

• Superuser
  • 264 posts
  • LocationGriffin, GA

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:50 PM

Bootstrap originally but now safestrap bc I wanted to be able to switch back to eclipse since the ics roms are not %100. Even though gummy has been working fine as a daily driver so far.

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk

#30 bryan77

bryan77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:30 PM

I have been using safestrap because i like the option of running stock and an ics rom. I do have some questions about it though that where not explained on the hashcode blog. I know installing a zip is currently not supported on the nonsafe side but what happens when u wipe data/cache or format system on the nonsafe side? I got a little excited about flashing the new gummy update while running stock and booted into recovery and wiped data and formated /system before i realized what i was doing. I forgot to enable safe mode. I ended up restoring from the oringinal backup i did when i first installed safestrap. But my question is do all the functions in the nonsafe side work except for installing a rom???

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

#31 cynnar

cynnar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:20 PM

I have been using safestrap because i like the option of running stock and an ics rom. I do have some questions about it though that where not explained on the hashcode blog. I know installing a zip is currently not supported on the nonsafe side but what happens when u wipe data/cache or format system on the nonsafe side? I got a little excited about flashing the new gummy update while running stock and booted into recovery and wiped data and formated /system before i realized what i was doing. I forgot to enable safe mode. I ended up restoring from the oringinal backup i did when i first installed safestrap. But my question is do all the functions in the nonsafe side work except for installing a rom???

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Good question! When you try to flash a zip it will not let you, so if the other functions do not stop you then I believe they work. Not positive though.

Edit just restored a backup on nonsafe. Going to try system wipe next.

I wiped the system and booted phone to make sure the job was done. System booted up. Wiped again system still booted up. Guess system format isn't enabled.
  • cynnar likes this
I tend to question things I disbelieve are true. Some people cannot handle that. Sorry if you are one of those people.

#32 ronjr123

ronjr123

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:47 AM

For some reason, can't get SS to boot up in safe mode. Have tried several times. Installed and reinstalled and updated busybox. All to no avail. Everything I read states not to use more than one recovery. How are you guys using both? Is OK to uninstall SS and install bootstrap?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

#33 kellogg

kellogg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Locationflorida

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:21 PM

Bootstrap. I'm always doing something to my RAZR, and having Fastboot lets me be a bit more adventuresome then I'd be without it. It's a Linus thing. :)

i read about the (Safestrap)..very impressed with it..would like to try it but it seems to have more steps, in doing it..with the sd and sdext ...so i just stick with im comfortable with been doing (Bootstrap) since my DX just more comfortable using it.

#34 Sh0rty 140

Sh0rty 140

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Twitter:@Sh0rtyy_140
  • LocationVirginia
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx, Nexus 7

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:58 AM

I'm currently using Safestrap. Will more than likely re-install bootstrap once ICS is up and running without issues. I do have a question about toggling between safe and non-safe. I tried to do the quick toggle and couldn't get either one of my roms: stock rooted or ICS AOKP Axiom B15 to boot up until I did a restore. Any reason this might have happened?
"My chick bad, my chick hood.... my chick do stuff that ya chick wish she could!!!!"

#35 tuner

tuner

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:03 PM

Okay, I've got a question. How do you know what kind of bootstrap is on your phone? I rooted my razar maxx and was going to flash a rom and was told to use safestrap, but need to delete any other kind of boot manager cause I cant' use two on the phone. I can't find any. Does this mean my phone is unlocked?Thanks.

#36 klave7

klave7

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:12 PM

Okay, I've got a question. How do you know what kind of bootstrap is on your phone? I rooted my razar maxx and was going to flash a rom and was told to use safestrap, but need to delete any other kind of boot manager cause I cant' use two on the phone. I can't find any. Does this mean my phone is unlocked?Thanks.

No, "unlocked" means you have an unlocked bootloader. The boot loader is different than a boot manager (i.e. safestrap and bootstrap). Unless you previously installed bootstrap, you shouldn't have it on your phone.

#37 tuner

tuner

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:38 PM

Okay, thanks. I did a fastboot thing and it said it was locked, but don't have any apps that is called boostrap of any kind.
so I guess I'll use safestrap and see if I like it.

#38 SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick

YOU WILL HAIL!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:40 PM

You could not have installed either of the straps until you're rooted so your good.

I always recommend Safestrap; they're exactly the same thing (same basic interface and all) with the only difference (and it's a big one IMO) being with SS you can boot into two different ROMs, called 'sides'. The non-safe side is where you have the stock Razr ROM installed. Then you can switch over to the safe side and flash whatever CDMA (assuming that's what phone you have) ROM you want, except for the ICS leak.

Let me know if you have any issues or questions, or better yet pop into the chatroom. There is almost always someone in there that can help with any issues you may have.

Shameless promotion for Tapatalk v2 on some mobile device

:-D :-D

#39 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:28 AM

As a side note though. Some ROMs can only run on one or the other, not both.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#40 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:01 AM

Bootstrap because I don't have another option for ICS base :(

Totally prefer safestrap though.

Posted Image

Become a supporting member and help, get a DEV a phone, by going HERE

Please take the time to read our forum rules and guidelines.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users