#61 Thach

Thach

Motorola Fanboy

• Administrator
  • 2,364 posts
  • Twitter:thach2639
  • Google+:Thach26
  • LocationGrand Forks ND
  • Current Device(s):OG Droid, Droid X, Droid X2, Droid Razr, Droid Bionic, Droid Xyboard 8.2, Nexus 7

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:38 AM

The images are the easy part. The real fun starts when you get into xml's. :)

I am playing around with mClock right now and am learning real fast about xml files lol. I could not for the life of me figure out why the backgrounds were not showing up but just discovered that the paths needed to be altered. I could get the hang of this.

Thach%20Admin%20device%20list.png

#62 mopar57

mopar57

Developer/MOD

• Superuser
  • 375 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:43 AM

Just a little tip that I would add that I haven't seen on this post yet that would assist some beginner themers:

You only need to decompile if you're making XML or Smali edits. If you are simply replacing images with ones you made, or porting a theme over (with permission of course) then you only need to extract the apk which is Option 3.

The only problem with just replaceing images..if you change a .9.png ( such as in ps or something) it wont look right when on the phone. The .9.pngs have guides built into the images, so they have to be compiled. If your just using someones else without editing...then that would be fine.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Got an idea for a theme?

PM me!

I like mail! :D

#63 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:17 PM

Tried this method with Tapatalk 2 and everything works fine until I open the app. It acts as if I didn't purchase the app (which I can assure you I did). Did something go wrong with the signing?

#64 ssmaynv

ssmaynv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:15 PM

Perhaps it's based upon a file size hash.

#65 mopar57

mopar57

Developer/MOD

• Superuser
  • 375 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:39 PM

What are you changing?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Got an idea for a theme?

PM me!

#66 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:18 PM

What are you changing?

I just edited images, no XML edits or anything. I also did not decompile the apk, just extracted it with apkmanager.

Rezipping the app, signing and installing the app if fine. I just get an error message when I try to open it. I'm gonna install my themed apk now then post what the message actually says.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

EDIT: Here's a screenshot showing the error
Posted Image

#67 ssmaynv

ssmaynv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:01 PM

I've never extracted an apk when just replacing an image. Just opened the apk with 7z and dragged the new image into the right spot, making sure settings were on store (no compression).

#68 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:38 PM

I've never extracted an apk when just replacing an image. Just opened the apk with 7z and dragged the new image into the right spot, making sure settings were on store (no compression).

I might have to do that because I think extracting it messed with the purchase coding in the app or something.

#69 mopar57

mopar57

Developer/MOD

• Superuser
  • 375 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:00 AM

I agree. Just replace the pngs without extracting. If you have .9.pngs they need to be compiled first. If your replacing these, pm me.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Got an idea for a theme?

PM me!

#70 DSGMach1

DSGMach1

Themer

• Superuser
  • 264 posts
  • LocationGriffin, GA

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:25 PM

All I can say is wow. Been looking at all of the images in framework-res.apk and I am pretty overwhelmed. I have no idea what half of the images go to and I don't know if I've even seen them on my phone before lol. It really gives a whole new respect a person has for the devs and themers who take the time to edit so many images. I wish I had the knowledge you guys have.

#71 raijin32

raijin32

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:11 PM

It really gives a whole new respect a person has for the devs and themers who take the time to edit so many images.

Amen to that! ;)

#72 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:25 PM

I agree. Just replace the pngs without extracting. If you have .9.pngs they need to be compiled first. If your replacing these, pm me.

Just seeing if you would have any further advice. Instead of extracting the tapatalk apk I just used 7zip to "open archive," replaced with my images then closed out 7zip. Now the apk won't even install. Any ideas?

#73 andlaw

andlaw

BW ftw!! !!!!!

• Developer
  • 2,463 posts
  • LocationOH-I-O
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:30 PM

Just seeing if you would have any further advice. Instead of extracting the tapatalk apk I just used 7zip to "open archive," replaced with my images then closed out 7zip. Now the apk won't even install. Any ideas?

you need to compile the apk after you make edits, xml or images. Use the Apk tool to do it, very easy! and im pretty sure mopar made a hella good readout how to use the program as well!

*Edit, you get on chat and can use screen share to show you if that would help.. :wub:

"A truly blacked out experience"

Posted Image

[XT912 |[(BLACKWIDOWICS 214)] | [(BLACKWIDOWICS AOKP/CM9)] | [(BLACKWIDOWJB AOKP/CM10/CNA)] | [(wWIDOWICS 214)] | |[(BLACKWIDOWHDish)]| XT912]

[XT926 |[(BLACKWIDOWHD|wWIDOWHD)]| XT926]

#74 EmericanX

EmericanX

Developer

• Developer
  • 1,027 posts
  • Twitter:@EmericanX
  • LocationPrince George, VA

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:20 PM

That sounds like it needs to be signed. Remember /data apps need to be signed after editing... /system apps(ie:framework-res, systemui) you do not want to sign. 7-zip swapping images will work for a quick change. But honestly you'd be better off getting into the habit of de-compiling then recompiling properly...

Btw... the .9pngs arent bad! Just make sure to not mess with the patch(black pixels around the boarder). If you do get one that gives you a fit recompiling... simply use 9patch that comes with the sdk to repatch the image.

#75 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:12 PM

That sounds like it needs to be signed. Remember /data apps need to be signed after editing... /system apps(ie:framework-res, systemui) you do not want to sign. 7-zip swapping images will work for a quick change. But honestly you'd be better off getting into the habit of de-compiling then recompiling properly...

Btw... the .9pngs arent bad! Just make sure to not mess with the patch(black pixels around the boarder). If you do get one that gives you a fit recompiling... simply use 9patch that comes with the sdk to repatch the image.

7zip is what I used. When I was using apk manager I got a weird error when opening the app which I posted before. Using 7zip is when the app won't even install now. I'll try signing it and see how that goes but I thought 7zip didn't mess with the signature.

#76 ssmaynv

ssmaynv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:45 PM

Did you set 7z to "store"?

#77 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:28 AM

Did you set 7z to "store"?

Yes sir. Also, signing worked until I opened the app then I got the same "unauthorized" error. This app definitely does not like being messed with. It's all good though, I just started using the dark theme that comes with it so I'm just gonna stop messing with it lol.

Sent from my ICS RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#78 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:53 AM

Alright all you pro themers... I am gonna try and dip my big toe in this pond. I have been reading all the info I can find and hoping it eventually makes sense. Lol...

So I want to start small here with changing the icon in an app.

Let me make sure this makes sense. I pull the apk off my phone, extract it with 7zip, find the image I want to change, change it... now I want to re-zip it with 7 zip right? Do I re-zip it into the original apk? I found the store setting but are there any other settings I need to change when zipping? Now can I just put the apk on my sd card and install it like installing any other apk??

Thanks in advance for all the help I will need on this journey. I agree with what was said above as to much respect for the hard work and great job you guys do...

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#79 EmericanX

EmericanX

Developer

• Developer
  • 1,027 posts
  • Twitter:@EmericanX
  • LocationPrince George, VA

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:31 AM

You don't want to extract it. You simply open it with 7-zip.... so that the 7zip window shows you the contents of the *.apk. Then you find the image that you want to replace... for reference you want to replace the icon... you would be looking for ic-blah-whatever.png. once you've found the image you want to replace you just drag and drop your replacement image into the 7zip window. Making sure your new image is named the same as the one you are replacing. This will over write the existing image. Once that's done... back out of 7zip until you see the directory where your project.apk is located... you may see a small window pop-up stating something like " updating archive". There's plenty of information out there... but if you need some extra help... feel free to hit me up! Ill get ya going in the right direction.

#80 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:22 AM

You don't want to extract it. You simply open it with 7-zip.... so that the 7zip window shows you the contents of the *.apk. Then you find the image that you want to replace... for reference you want to replace the icon... you would be looking for ic-blah-whatever.png. once you've found the image you want to replace you just drag and drop your replacement image into the 7zip window. Making sure your new image is named the same as the one you are replacing. This will over write the existing image. Once that's done... back out of 7zip until you see the directory where your project.apk is located... you may see a small window pop-up stating something like " updating archive". There's plenty of information out there... but if you need some extra help... feel free to hit me up! Ill get ya going in the right direction.

Just to add, after using 7zip, you will have to resign the apk in order for it to reinstall.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users