Photo

Root achieved for JB OTA RAZR/MAXX XT912 (RAZR Blade)!

• Please log in to reply
684 replies to this topic

#461 LockNLoad

LockNLoad

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:40 PM

On a Mac, this fails for me. I have USB Debug on and Mass Storage off.

Every step fails.

Technically, in Smart Actions, there is no "Get Started".. maybe you mean "+ add" as that is where you find the "Battery Saver".

Anyway across the board it failed every step

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#462 BlueSun

BlueSun

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:47 PM

Instructions:

Windows-
-Download the zip file and extract.
-Connect device via USB (Make sure you have the current Moto drivers FIRST!)
-Make sure USB Debug is on
-Make sure you have Smart Actions fully installed, unfrozen and unmodified
-Make sure the phone IS NOT in mass storage mode
-Double click run.bat

I tried rooting a Motorola Droid RAZR with JB 4.1.2 (Sys ver: 98.72.16.XT912), but the root exploit failed. I connected the phone by USB 2.0 after downloading and installing the latest Motorola drivers. USB debugging was checked on. I should note that I'm not the first owner of the phone. I got it from a housemate and registered it on my own account last month. When I got it, it was already running the Apex launcher and, I suspect, judging from the error log, that she had tried to root it and whatever exploit she used failed (there is also an empty CWM folder to confirm this). I have rooted other smartphones, including a Droid Bionic and another Droid RAZR, as well as my Nexus 7, so this is not my first foray into rooting an android device.

I looked into /system/bin and there is no su. I don't know about /data/logger as it is not visible with any file explorer I have in the unrooted phone.

Is there any way to clear out the failed root cruft and retry rooting? Am I going to have to do a factory reset and start from scratch?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

cmd session log displayed during the attempt is below:

[*]
[*] Razr Blade: Motorola Droid Razr 4.1 Root Exploit (Windows version)
[*] by Dan Rosenberg (@djrbliss)
[*]
[*] Thanks to p3droid for assistance in testing.
[*]
[*] Note: this will not work on Razr HD, Razr M, etc.
[*]
[*] Before continuing, ensure USB debugging is enabled, that you
[*] have the latest Motorola drivers installed, and that your phone
[*] is connected via USB.
[*]
[*] Please carefully follow any instructions provided in the exploit.
[*]
[*] Press enter to root your phone...
[*]
[*] Waiting for device...
[*] Device found.
[*] Phase one...
[*] Rebooting device...
[*] Waiting for phone to reboot.
[*] Phase two...
[*] Complete the following steps on your device:
[*] 1. Open the Smart Actions application.
[*] 2. Select "Get Started".
[*] 3. Select "Battery Saver".
[*] 4. Select "Save".
[*] 5. Press the Home button.
[*]
[*] Press enter here once you have completed the above steps.
Press any key to continue . . .
3 KB/s (3477 bytes in 1.000s)
[*] Rebooting device...
[*] Phase three (this will take a minute)...
failed on '/data/logger' - Permission denied
mkdir failed for /data/logger, File exists
Unable to chmod /data/logger: Operation not permitted
link failed File exists
[*] Rebooting device...
[*] Phase four...
2791 KB/s (543080 bytes in 0.190s)
3377 KB/s (1867568 bytes in 0.540s)
2908 KB/s (476557 bytes in 0.160s)
3117 KB/s (63838 bytes in 0.020s)
[*] Cleaning up...
/system/bin/sh: su: not found
[*] Rebooting...
[*] Exploit complete!

Hit ENTER to return.

btw, the phone was not bricked by this failure and, except for remaining unrooted, seems to be operating correctly.

#463 BlueSun

BlueSun

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:22 PM

Aha! I found the problem and was able to root the phone. I noticed the same error log multiple times on this forum, and, not having read 16 pages of posts, don't know if the solution has already been posted. But, here goes:

When you connect the phone to the computer via USB, you default to mass storage mode. It WILL NOT root unless you change the USB mode to MTB or Camera. I had changed to MTB, then unplugged the phone briefly, then reconnected - forgetting to change to MTB again!

To change USB connect mode, first plug the phone in via a USB cable. Then pull down the Notification screen. At the bottom, you will note that it reports the phone connected via USB in mass storage mode. Right below that is an option to change modes. Touch that and a screen will appear giving you an option to change mode to MTB or Camera. Either will work, though MTB is the one I use.

Hope this helps!

#464 thereallybigj

thereallybigj

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Current Device(s):razr maxx

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:58 PM

My phone updated last night, and the first thing I noticed was that FoxFi stopped working. After doing a little reading online, I learned that the only way to re-enable wifi tethering was to root my phone. I've never done this to a phone before, and was a little apprehensive about doing it to my Razr Maxx.

After doing a little more reading on Google, I stumbled onto this thread. I read quite a lot of reviews on here and every seemed positive about this method. I decided I'd give it a shot. I downloaded the windows zip file, the latest motorola drivers for my phone, installed the drivers.

I started the root process and followed all the directions on the command prompt and was pretty surprised at how quick it went. It did take a few minutes for the cleanup part of the install but everything else was fast going. After I booted the phone back up, everything was still there like I left it, with exception of my desktop background (no big deal there).

I downloaded the SQLite app from the app store, and disabled a setting in there that made the phone check for subscription level before turning on wifi hotspot (found a video on youtube). After doing this, I'm now able to use my Razr Maxx's built in wifi hotspot feature instead of foxfi! No more pop-up telling me I have to pay a 30 dollar a month fee to Verizon to use something that is built into my phone!

This was super easy and worked like a charm! Even with doing the research and the googling and the youtubing, the whole procedure took less than an hour!

Awesome awesome awesome!!!
  • Hawkeye likes this

#465 LockNLoad

LockNLoad

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:18 AM

Not to detract from the OP's post, but just to help others wanting to root, I tried the OPs method numerous times on my Mac - even did the MTB method above - to no luck. I gave up.

I ended up using this method in 5 minutes and it worked flawless the first time:

Hope it helps others wanting to root.

#466 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:35 AM

On a Mac, this fails for me. I have USB Debug on and Mass Storage off.

Every step fails.

Technically, in Smart Actions, there is no "Get Started".. maybe you mean "+ add" as that is where you find the "Battery Saver".

Anyway across the board it failed every step

So I have a Mac and this does work, however, others have had various problems...My recommandation would be to use Matts New JB Tool which incorporates Dans Razr Blade exploit. I found doing it this way to be almost full proof.

This is the link:

Others increased the pause's by editing the script since the Apple USB seems slow compared to on Windows

#467 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:01 PM

Are you successfully rooted?

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX Limited Edition running Xparent Blue Tapatalk

I had the same issue with the installer, I can't seem to get it to work with the new Jelly Bean (version 4.1.2). Any suggestions on something to try? And also what exactly is safe strap? I tryed to find it and install it online but the program wont run on the phone.

#468 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:09 PM

My phone updated last night, and the first thing I noticed was that FoxFi stopped working. After doing a little reading online, I learned that the only way to re-enable wifi tethering was to root my phone. I've never done this to a phone before, and was a little apprehensive about doing it to my Razr Maxx.

After doing a little more reading on Google, I stumbled onto this thread. I read quite a lot of reviews on here and every seemed positive about this method. I decided I'd give it a shot. I downloaded the windows zip file, the latest motorola drivers for my phone, installed the drivers.

I started the root process and followed all the directions on the command prompt and was pretty surprised at how quick it went. It did take a few minutes for the cleanup part of the install but everything else was fast going. After I booted the phone back up, everything was still there like I left it, with exception of my desktop background (no big deal there).

I downloaded the SQLite app from the app store, and disabled a setting in there that made the phone check for subscription level before turning on wifi hotspot (found a video on youtube). After doing this, I'm now able to use my Razr Maxx's built in wifi hotspot feature instead of foxfi! No more pop-up telling me I have to pay a 30 dollar a month fee to Verizon to use something that is built into my phone!

This was super easy and worked like a charm! Even with doing the research and the googling and the youtubing, the whole procedure took less than an hour!

Im having the exact same issue and am going to try to attempt this tonight. Any chance you could post the youtube you used?

#469 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:09 PM

I had the same issue with the installer, I can't seem to get it to work with the new Jelly Bean (version 4.1.2). Any suggestions on something to try? And also what exactly is safe strap? I tryed to find it and install it online but the program wont run on the phone.

What issue are you having??

Safestrap is the Moto version of Clockwork Mod recovery used to install custom roms. You can get it in the Utility

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#470 LockNLoad

LockNLoad

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:49 PM

So I have a Mac and this does work, however, others have had various problems...My recommandation would be to use Matts New JB Tool which incorporates Dans Razr Blade exploit. I found doing it this way to be almost full proof.

This is the link:

Others increased the pause's by editing the script since the Apple USB seems slow compared to on Windows

see above, I got root in about 5 minutes with a few less steps using the method i posted

#471 tiebreaker

tiebreaker

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationEurope
  • Current Device(s):Motorola Razr MAXX, ROM: JB 4.1.2 (982.124.14.XT910.Retail.en.FR)

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:56 AM

#472 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:29 AM

@LockNLoad
Man, this method what You posted, it's old method for ICS, but not for JB...

No he's good. The link he posted goes to Mattlgroff's XT912 Jellybean Utility which also contains the RAZR Blade root exploit.

#473 aworobec03

aworobec03

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:01 PM

Any idea why my phone is taking forever to root? Followed the steps, it's not moving beyond "daemon started successfully."

#474 paddedtiger

paddedtiger

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:32 PM

im having a problem with this working, first i cant get MTP to work on my windows so i try using PTP, no luck. i then used linux and followed the instructions in both ptp and mtp and i get this

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
[*]
[*] Razr Blade: Motorola Droid Razr 4.1 Root Exploit (Windows version)
[*] by Dan Rosenberg (@djrbliss)
[*]
[*] Thanks to p3droid for assistance in testing.
[*]
[*] Note: this will not work on Razr HD, Razr M, etc.
[*]
[*] Before continuing, ensure USB debugging is enabled, that you
[*] have the latest Motorola drivers installed, and that your phone
[*] is connected via USB.
[*]
[*] Please carefully follow any instructions provided in the exploit.
[*]
[*] Press enter to root your phone...

[*] Waiting for device...
[*] Device found.
[*] Phase one...
[*] Rebooting device...
[*] Phase two...
[*] Complete the following steps on your device:
[*] 1. Open the Smart Actions application.
[*] 2. Select Get Started.
[*] 3. Select Battery Saver.
[*] 4. Select Save.
[*] 5. Press the Home button.
[*]
[*] Press enter here once you have completed the above steps.

85 KB/s (3477 bytes in 0.039s)
[*] Rebooting device...
[*] Phase three (this will take a minute)...
failed on '/data/logger' - Permission denied
mkdir failed for /data/logger, File exists
Unable to chmod /data/logger: Operation not permitted
link failed File exists
[*] Rebooting device...
[*] Phase four...
2749 KB/s (91992 bytes in 0.032s)
2892 KB/s (1867568 bytes in 0.630s)
3058 KB/s (574184 bytes in 0.183s)
1548 KB/s (63838 bytes in 0.040s)
[*] Cleaning up...
/system/bin/sh: su: not found
[*] Rebooting...
[*] Exploit complete!
[*] Press any key to exit.

any idea
system ver 98.72.16.xt912.verizon.en.US

model
Droid RAZR Maxx

Android version

#475 CakeEater07

CakeEater07

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationVirginia
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR Maxx

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:12 AM

Kicks complete anus. Mr. Rosenberg is a national hero. Okay, worldwide hero.

#476 figbush1

figbush1

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr, iPod Touch

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:05 AM

First and foremost thank you! The script executed perfectly, loved the instructions. Masterfully done! However I ended up losing keyboard swipe in the process, searched the forum for similar issues but am either blind or there were no similar issues. Does anyone know how to go about getting it back? I went snooping around in the phone (didn't change anything) and did see that swipe was still in there. Seems to have just been disabled.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

#477 gebkev

gebkev

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:47 AM

Running 4.1.2 on Maxx.
Ran the .bat and keep getting 'abd' is not recognized as a internal or external command.
Program continues to try and run but the root didnt work.
Help?
First time rooter

#478 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 24 March 2013 - 11:41 AM

Running 4.1.2 on Maxx.
Ran the .bat and keep getting 'abd' is not recognized as a internal or external command.
Program continues to try and run but the root didnt work.
Help?
First time rooter

You need to extract the files from the zip to your desktop before running the bat file. Use Winrar to do that.

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#479 CakeEater07

CakeEater07

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationVirginia
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR Maxx

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:48 PM

The important thing is to follow the instructions EXACTLY... I had to reinstall the smart actions thing... and it worked like a champ.

#480 JD45

JD45

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:48 PM

Thank you, this did it for me!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users