#61 doubles69

doubles69

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Twitter:suggafnshane

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

I'm having a pretty hard time getting this all set up. I'm using a RAZR MAXX, not a regular RAZR. I installed the MOTO software & drivers, as indicated. I've turned on USB debugging and I've switched out of "Mass Storage Mode" (although I cannot simply uncheck the option, I must select Media Device or Camera). Additionally, I've completely wiped my phone and started from scratch.

For the Smart Actions, I do not have something called "Battery Saver." I have either "Battery Extender" or "Nighttime Battery Saver." I have tried both.

Virtually every time I've run the installer, I've seen it say "link failed No such file or directory" appear immediately after it starts Phase one. It will run through the installer every time, but continuously tell me that there is "No such file or directory."

I've included a screenshot below. Any advice would be helpful!

Posted Image

UPDATE: So after some research and a tip by lutheranpriest (thank you!), I realized that I have to actually flash the leaked Jelly Bean OTA update before I can install the root. When I first read the thread, I guess I (stupidly) assumed that the root would install Jelly Bean for me on its own. After successfully installing the flash, it looks like the root process worked seamlessly.

For those that end up making the same mistake as me, there is an excellent video on YouTube on how to manually flash the Jelly Bean OTA update from your external SD card here:

Please note that the link in the description is actually for a RAZR HD, not the original RAZR. To get the OTA update for the original RAZR, visit

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

and then just follow all the same steps in the video.

Afterwards, follow the steps outlined in the opening post of this thread and you'll be in great shape.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Edited by doubles69, 15 January 2013 - 09:42 PM.

• 94turbosubi likes this

#62 Samsonite79

Samsonite79

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:03 PM

Thanks, worked like a charm, I want to advise that if you have updated Smart Actions from Market, try to uninstall it or try to revert it back to factory because I ran into the same issues as mention before. All I did was uninstall the update and follow the instruction to the letter, and it went through. Thanks again!! Keep up the great work!
  • tmyinc and b_nom like this

#63 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • Twitter:TMYINC
  • LocationPA
  • Current Device(s):Razr M, GN2, Nexus 10

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

Thanks, worked like a charm, I want to advise that if you have updated Smart Actions from Market, try to uninstall it or try to revert it back to factory because I ran into the same issues as mention before. All I did was uninstall the update and follow the instruction to the letter, and it went through. Thanks again!! Keep up the great work!

Your exactly right there. Gave you credit in another thread as we both had the same idea. Great job!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

• sjtsnix likes this

#64 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,463 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

Might be why it failed for me on my Bionic ICS earlier. Maybe. :D Looks like the same error though. I was curious if the exploit worked on ICS or not. Call it my need to know. :)
  • tmyinc likes this

Non potest esse nisi unus

#65 Samsonite79

Samsonite79

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

:-) Thanks! I think more credit is due towards the developers, I cry when I forgot to root after JB update hahah!! I'm so glad this was developed. Thanks again guys!
  • tmyinc likes this

#66 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

:-) Thanks! I think more credit is due towards the developers, I cry when I forgot to root after JB update hahah!! I'm so glad this was developed. Thanks again guys!

Yes very true, the devs deserve a buttload of credit. But so do the users that help out. Even if its just something small as you just displayed.

• Nitewolf likes this

#67 kboss805

kboss805

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Google+:kevin.bossoletti

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

After looking at the script in detail I realized how much work went into this. I'm definitely not disappointed. Great work Dan. I gladly donated earlier today.
  • hackthis25 likes this

#68 lutheranpriest

lutheranpriest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

I'm having a pretty hard time getting this all set up. I'm using a RAZR MAXX, not a regular RAZR. I installed the MOTO software & drivers, as indicated. I've turned on USB debugging and I've switched out of "Mass Storage Mode" (although I cannot simply uncheck the option, I must select Media Device or Camera). Additionally, I've completely wiped my phone and started from scratch.

For the Smart Actions, I do not have something called "Battery Saver." I have either "Battery Extender" or "Nighttime Battery Saver." I have tried both.

Virtually every time I've run the installer, I've seen it say "link failed No such file or directory" appear immediately after it starts Phase one. It will run through the installer every time, but continuously tell me that there is "No such file or directory."

I've included a screenshot below. Any advice would be helpful!

I would recommend you perform a full wipe, then make sure you flash the OTA leak before trying the exploit. I don't know if it makes any difference, but I would suggest trying it with Media Device selected. That was what my setting was when I successfully rooted. I'm also assuming you've got a CDMA device. I'm not sure if this method works for GSM as well.

The only difference between the RAZR and RAZR MAXX is the battery size. The hardware is identical, so that shouldn't make a difference.

#69 my2cents

my2cents

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:15 PM

Is your USB mode as Mass Storage by any chance?

I was getting the error at Phase 3 also. I switched to Media Device (MTP) and it went right through with no problems!

#70 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

I was getting the error at Phase 3 also. I switched to Media Device (MTP) and it went right through with no problems!

Glad you got it working!

• my2cents likes this

#71 Centurion

Centurion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

And I also have Root again !!! Righteous !!! Thanks Dan !!!

#72 doubles69

doubles69

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

Posted an update to my issue up above. Thanks for the tips - I'm now in business!

#73 kprice8

kprice8

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

I am extremely new to Rooting. As in, this is my first time. Can someone tell me how the devil I do this?

I can't seem to get the Exploit to get past "waiting for device"

Phone has Smart Actions factory install
Is in Media mode (MTP)

#74 dunderhead

dunderhead

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

I signed on because I had a feeling there'd be good news. THANK YOU! :D

#75 tap

tap

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

great job.
thx

#76 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

I am extremely new to Rooting. As in, this is my first time. Can someone tell me how the devil I do this?

Is in Media mode (MTP)

Do you have adb set up? Moto drivers installed? If yes to both make sure USB debugging is ticked under developer options in settings.

#77 kprice8

kprice8

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:17 PM

Pardon? adb? And what moto drivers do I need to do this?

USB debug is enabled.

#78 doubles69

doubles69

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

Is in Media mode (MTP)

Make sure that you've installed the Motorola Device Manager! Otherwise you won't get pass that screen.

#79 kprice8

kprice8

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:27 PM

#80 dunderhead

dunderhead

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

I already had a smart action made for at night, so I just followed the instructions and added the battery saver template, clicked save, and everything worked perfectly.

Thanks again so much. My life is back to normal. Quick question though: is SuperSU what I should keep installed? I think i always had just Superuser in the past. It seems to be functioning the same.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users