848 replies to this topic

#101 ksenter

ksenter

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:14 AM

I'm still just lurking in the ROMs section, I still haven't updated to JB, yet. But I love that you found an exploit so fast, so I threw $10 your way. Great work!!!! :D

#102 kprice8

kprice8

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:49 AM

Now I am being told I need to change my "Subscription status" so as to avoid problems from VZW. What Subscription Status is that?

#103 chasr

chasr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationMaryland
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx HD

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:52 AM

First let me say, this great, it worked fine for me. Even though I have already donated, I plan to go in later today and give some more to show my appreciation.

I did get nervous about the SmartActions step. I initially thought what you meant by unmodified code is that the user hadn't tried to hack the code in some manner. However, when I got to that step and the script was telling me to look for the message that only appears the very first time you run it after a clean install, I got nervous. At that point I starting thinking you really meant that SmartActions had to be a pristine, new installation which mine wasn't. However, I ignored that fact, opened the Battery Saver option, which I don't use and hadn't set up, and I was able to successfully continue from that point. I am not sure if I had previously configured Battery Saver, if I would have run into issues or if just opening it and resaving is enough..

You might save yourself some support time and users some issues if the instructions are clarified as to what is minimally required in this area.

Thanks again.

#104 Guest_DirtyDroidX_*

Guest_DirtyDroidX_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:54 AM

Lol ask 24v. He knows me, as well as jester.

And I know he didn't do it for the money, just stating how freaking fast he probably found it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Fast, No ! Him and P3Droid where up half the night before testing . Dan is amazing but this stuff is a little bit more involved :)

#105 jcarlosfox

jcarlosfox

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:55 AM

Now I am being told I need to change my "Subscription status" so as to avoid problems from VZW. What Subscription Status is that?

It means you are trying to tether, and have an Unlimited Data plan from Verizon, and they don't want you to tether, so it is basically a block. Accept what they offer, and you will pay more and likely lose unlimited data.

There are entire threads dedicated to making tether work.

#106 Guest_DirtyDroidX_*

Guest_DirtyDroidX_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:56 AM

Huh?

#107 kprice8

kprice8

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:58 AM

The "WiFi tether for root user" app is working fine. That's not the Sub Status I am talking about.

"I'll still help. So you got it rooted right? The best bet is to use the sql hack to modify a line of code that prevents

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

from checking your subscription status, you would then just use the built in hot spot.

To do this download an app called SQLite editor, here's the link

Open it

Make sure you hit grant on the Window that pops up and asks for supper user permission(that's where the needing root part comes in)

Scroll all the way down to where you see settings storage, there is two of them so make sure you hit the one with the hammer and gear icon

Hit settings.db then hit settings

Go down to line 79 where it says entitlement check

Change it from 1 to 0 (long press under the value field, then hit edit field on the popup)

Click save

Exit the app, and then reboot the phone."

#108 Guest_DirtyDroidX_*

Guest_DirtyDroidX_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:01 AM

Or go to the HD section I have posted screen shots and links to get hotspot to work.
  • cvhovey likes this

#109 jcarlosfox

jcarlosfox

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:03 AM

Wow.. All the "Superuser" clicks you have to do. I almost missed a few because I didn't know they would be there! But, with a little luck, I got the "WiFi Tether for root user" working like a charm, affffter I sifted through all the damn options. Oh lordy the options you can do with the device now! Thanks Dan! Just as soon as I get paid, I will be donating to you!

Even though I just reminded someone there are entire threads devoted to my question....

Did you use "WiFi Tether for root users" (with an "s" at the end, by Muellers Lemon and Buxton, and if so, can you share the settings you used?

It would be helpful for many.

Thanks.
  • kprice8 likes this

#110 kprice8

kprice8

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:08 AM

Yes. I was only just waking up when I typed that. It does have an "s" at the end of it. I personally locked it down using a passcode, and changed the name of it from "AndroidTether" to "MyMobileHotSpot" under the SSID section.

#111 jcarlosfox

jcarlosfox

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:18 AM

The "WiFi tether for root user" app is working fine. That's not the Sub Status I am talking about.

"I'll still help. So you got it rooted right? The best bet is to use the sql hack to modify a line of code that prevents

from checking your subscription status, you would then just use the built in hot spot.

To do this download an app called SQLite editor, here's the link

Open it

Make sure you hit grant on the Window that pops up and asks for supper user permission(that's where the needing root part comes in)

Scroll all the way down to where you see settings storage, there is two of them so make sure you hit the one with the hammer and gear icon

Hit settings.db then hit settings

Go down to line 79 where it says entitlement check

Change it from 1 to 0 (long press under the value field, then hit edit field on the popup)

Click save

Exit the app, and then reboot the phone."

THANK YOU! Great tutorial, and works perfectly!

#112 kprice8

kprice8

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:20 AM

That's for the on device wifi tether app, not the "WiFi tether for root users" app..

#113 airborne82_11b2p

airborne82_11b2p

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:29 AM

Having problems getting it to work. MTP mode, usb debugging on. This is what I get: [*]
[*] Razr Blade: Motorola Droid Razr 4.1 Root Exploit (Windows version)
[*] by Dan Rosenberg (@djrbliss)
[*]
[*] Thanks to p3droid for assistance in testing.
[*]
[*] Note: this will not work on Razr HD, Razr M, etc.
[*]
[*] Before continuing, ensure USB debugging is enabled, that you
[*] have the latest Motorola drivers installed, and that your phone
[*] is connected via USB.
[*]
[*] Please carefully follow any instructions provided in the exploit.
[*]
[*] Press enter to root your phone...
Press any key to continue . . .
[*]
[*] Waiting for device...
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
[*] Device found.
[*] Phase one...
link failed Cross-device link
[*] Rebooting device...
[*] Waiting for phone to reboot.
[*] Phase two...
/system/bin/sh: cat: /data/data/com.motorola.contextual.fw/files/DataClearJarDex
.jar: Permission denied
[*] Complete the following steps on your device:
[*] 1. Open the Smart Actions application.
[*] 2. Select "Get Started".
[*] 3. Select "Battery Saver".
[*] 4. Select "Save".
[*] 5. Press the Home button.
[*]
[*] Press enter here once you have completed the above steps.
3 KB/s (3477 bytes in 1.000s)
/system/bin/sh: can't create /data/data/com.motorola.contextual.fw/files/DataCle
arJarDex.jar: Permission denied
[*] Rebooting device...
[*] Phase three (this will take a minute)...
failed on '/data/logger' - Permission denied
mkdir failed for /data/logger, File exists
Unable to chmod /data/logger: Operation not permitted
link failed File exists
[*] Rebooting device...
[*] Phase four...
5758 KB/s (91992 bytes in 0.015s)
3653 KB/s (1867568 bytes in 0.499s)
3594 KB/s (574184 bytes in 0.155s)
3997 KB/s (63838 bytes in 0.015s)
[*] Cleaning up...
/system/bin/sh: su: not found
/system/bin/sh: can't create /data/data/com.motorola.contextual.fw/files/DataCle
[*] Rebooting...
[*] Exploit complete!
[*] Press any key to exit.
Press any key to continue . . . Any ideas? Thanks
  • chadwick108 likes this

#114 cedricl

cedricl

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:32 AM

Thanks! It worked without a problem. I just sent my payment and I am very happy to have root back.

#115 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:37 AM

Dang it I missed the party cause of the flu that's going around my house at the moment... lol. Dan was always in the back of my mind when thinking of a root exploit for JB and no wonder... He certainly is king of root!

I was always pretty sure that a method would be found. After all there will always be a back door to security no matter how hard they try to lock it down. It just needed a total genius like Dan to cut the right key! Many thanks my friend. :)

Now for my predicament... Do I take a leak an relieve myself of a dual boot device and just go all in? Or do I keep ICS alongside of JB roms? Decisions decisions... decisions lol.

Either way, Verizon can kiss my ass once again!

I'm in the same state Nitewolf. I think I am going to stay in Dual boot until the "official" update comes out and see what happens. Since JellyWiz is working greta, I dont see any need to rush into it.

my .02

#116 b_nom

b_nom

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:14 AM

Thanks, worked like a charm, I want to advise that if you have updated Smart Actions from Market, try to uninstall it or try to revert it back to factory because I ran into the same issues as mention before. All I did was uninstall the update and follow the instruction to the letter, and it went through. Thanks again!! Keep up the great work!

I already had ran updates from the Market before running the tool and ran into issues. I factory reset my phone from settings and re-ran the tool and that did it!

#117 lutheranpriest

lutheranpriest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:43 AM

Having problems getting it to work. MTP mode, usb debugging on. This is what I get: [*]
[*] Razr Blade: Motorola Droid Razr 4.1 Root Exploit (Windows version)
[*] by Dan Rosenberg (@djrbliss)
[*]
[*] Thanks to p3droid for assistance in testing.
[*]
[*] Note: this will not work on Razr HD, Razr M, etc.
[*]
[*] Before continuing, ensure USB debugging is enabled, that you
[*] have the latest Motorola drivers installed, and that your phone
[*] is connected via USB.
[*]
[*] Please carefully follow any instructions provided in the exploit.
[*]
[*] Press enter to root your phone...
[*]
[*] Waiting for device...
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
[*] Device found.
[*] Phase one...
link failed Cross-device link
[*] Rebooting device...
[*] Phase two...
/system/bin/sh: cat: /data/data/com.motorola.contextual.fw/files/DataClearJarDex
.jar: Permission denied
[*] Complete the following steps on your device:
[*] 1. Open the Smart Actions application.
[*] 2. Select "Get Started".
[*] 3. Select "Battery Saver".
[*] 4. Select "Save".
[*] 5. Press the Home button.
[*]
[*] Press enter here once you have completed the above steps.
3 KB/s (3477 bytes in 1.000s)
[*] Rebooting device...
[*] Phase three (this will take a minute)...
failed on '/data/logger' - Permission denied
mkdir failed for /data/logger, File exists
Unable to chmod /data/logger: Operation not permitted
link failed File exists
[*] Rebooting device...
[*] Phase four...
5758 KB/s (91992 bytes in 0.015s)
3653 KB/s (1867568 bytes in 0.499s)
3594 KB/s (574184 bytes in 0.155s)
3997 KB/s (63838 bytes in 0.015s)
[*] Cleaning up...
/system/bin/sh: su: not found
[*] Rebooting...
[*] Exploit complete!
[*] Press any key to exit.
Press any key to continue . . . Any ideas? Thanks

First try uninstalling any updates to the app "Smart Actions," and clear the data for that app. If that doesn't work, try starting with a fresh flash of the OTA. Wipe first through recovery, then flash.

#118 P3Droid

P3Droid

Android Legend/ Mentor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Twitter:P3Droid

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:05 AM

Morning, and I'm happy that all of you are getting your Razr's rooted.

This root is simple yet amazing, it was not an easy task I can assure you. It was multiple days and many hours of work.

Yesterday alone it was 5 hrs of work and I know I watched at least three days of work being done. So, enjoy but be sure to give Dan a thanks for his work, or buy him a beer if you can spare the change.

Lastly,

Do follow the directions. They are there for a reason. The directions were not thought of willy nilly but carefully crafted and tested.
  • cvhovey, slow68, rickw and 2 others like this

#119 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,505 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:09 AM

Morning, and I'm happy that all of you are getting your Razr's rooted.

This root is simple yet amazing, it was not an easy task I can assure you. It was multiple days and many hours of work.

Yesterday alone it was 5 hrs of work and I know I watched at least three days of work being done. So, enjoy but be sure to give Dan a thanks for his work, or buy him a beer if you can spare the time.

Thanks to you, as well. :)
  • cvhovey likes this

Non potest esse nisi unus

#120 unforsaken

unforsaken

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

I had rooted previously and used Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper during the JB update. This kept root for programs superuser had already been allowed on, but hosed my SU and allowing any new programs to access it. Root Checker did not show having root access.

In running this exploit, I received the same permission denied errors as those posting here. I did a Temp Unroot in Rootkeeper and rebooted the phone. Reran the exploit and all seems to be good now. Root Checker shows success, BusyBox installed and updated, and all root programs are properly requesting and getting root.
  • TheGratefulNed and kprice8 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users