68 replies to this topic

#41 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:30 AM

Dumb question as I think it needs to be a little more clear in the OP. Are you saying ppl should temp unroot, or NOT temp unroot using Rootkeeper before updating. I've seen to many posts on the leaks not being clear where some say yes do it & others say no just protect root. Speaking for myself to date in any of the files I have tried/tested I've never temp unrooted. I just protect root using Rootkeeper and then update and have not had a problem.

There have been claims that not temp unrooting causes the process to fail. After 100+ flashes and never temp unrooting I can tell you that temp unrooting is not what is causing people's problems.

Posted Image

Become a supporting member and help, get a DEV a phone, by going HERE

Please take the time to read our forum rules and guidelines.

#42 JungleKing76

JungleKing76

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:31 AM

Dumb question as I think it needs to be a little more clear in the OP. Are you saying ppl should temp unroot, or NOT temp unroot using Rootkeeper before updating. I've seen to many posts on the leaks not being clear where some say yes do it & others say no just protect root. Speaking for myself to date in any of the files I have tried/tested I've never temp unrooted. I just protect root using Rootkeeper and then update and have not had a problem.

This may not answer your question but it seems everyone had different experiences. I have always temp uprooted before installing ota. With 176, I forgot to and for some reason , the root method for 2.3.6 would not work. I had to fastboot back, root, temp unroot, install 176, then restote root. But I have heard others just rooted after 176 was installed with no issues.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk

#43 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:06 AM

This may not answer your question but it seems everyone had different experiences. I have always temp uprooted before installing ota. With 176, I forgot to and for some reason , the root method for 2.3.6 would not work. I had to fastboot back, root, temp unroot, install 176, then restote root. But I have heard others just rooted after 176 was installed with no issues.

Rootkeeper and the 2.3.6 root method both failed?

Posted Image

#44 Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd

Freak on a Leash

• Administrator
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWindy City
  • Current Device(s):x13 Dev Ed & x14 Pure Ed & Droid Turbo

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:31 AM

There have been claims that not temp unrooting causes the process to fail. After 100+ flashes and never temp unrooting I can tell you that temp unrooting is not what is causing people's problems.

Thanks bud I'm with you on that as well. I've never temp unrooted either and have never had a problem updating a device. 9 out of 10 times an update failure has nothign to do with root. In all honesty it can't because rooting has nothing to do with the Assert check the update looks for before letting a device update

#45 Mr.Rzr

Mr.Rzr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationThe InterWebz

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:13 PM

ok guys so i'm new to the razr just got it in the mail yesteray. soon as i powered it on got an update to 173, so i updated it and then rooted it using the one click method. so i've been reading about ota rootkeeper, could i just download that do a temp un root, flash this and then re root? never used the ota rootkeeper so not sure how it works.

#46 orcsbane13

orcsbane13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:36 PM

ok guys so i'm new to the razr just got it in the mail yesteray. soon as i powered it on got an update to 173, so i updated it and then rooted it using the one click method. so i've been reading about ota rootkeeper, could i just download that do a temp un root, flash this and then re root? never used the ota rootkeeper so not sure how it works.

No need to temp unroot, use it to backup root then flash this and use it to restore root. Pretty simple.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk
  • Mr.Rzr likes this

#47 Mr.Rzr

Mr.Rzr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationThe InterWebz

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:04 PM

No need to temp unroot, use it to backup root then flash this and use it to restore root. Pretty simple.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

Awesome thanks for the update!

Overclocked like a boss

#48 JungleKing76

JungleKing76

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:22 PM

Rootkeeper and the 2.3.6 root method both failed?

No.. it would not root so I had to go back and root on 173, then rootkeeper. I forgot to protect root the first time. :/

#49 chuckboy1129

chuckboy1129

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Google+:chuckboy1129@gmail.com

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:48 PM

How can i go back to 173 from 174 so i can install this update

#50 PillClinton

PillClinton

#FireGaryBettman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Twitter:530SharksFan
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:32 PM

ADB, RSD Lite or mattlgroff's utility!

#51 JimmyInTheROC

JimmyInTheROC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:54 PM

Use mattlgroff's Droid Utility 1.4 to go back to .173. Very easy, and this is a new feature today!

#52 chuckboy1129

chuckboy1129

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Google+:chuckboy1129@gmail.com

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:57 AM

Use mattlgroff's Droid Utility 1.4 to go back to .173. Very easy, and this is a new feature today!

Thank you

#53 bikebuilderdude

bikebuilderdude

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:44 PM

.176 already, what are they, fixing one problem per update? By the time we get ICS, they will be up to .200 at this rate. :rolleyes: lmao

#54 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:52 PM

.176 already, what are they, fixing one problem per update? By the time we get ICS, they will be up to .200 at this rate. :rolleyes: lmao

Yes... and that is the correct method for debugging. If you change more than one thing at a time, it makes verifying results impossible. This are internal releases, not intended for public.

#55 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:01 PM

Yes... and that is the correct method for debugging. If you change more than one thing at a time, it makes verifying results impossible. This are internal releases, not intended for public.

This. And if you keep complaining I'll never give you 177+ (which I may or may not be running already)

Posted Image

#56 bikebuilderdude

bikebuilderdude

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:04 PM

Makes sense, just hate all the bloatware they add with each OTA update (how many music apps do we really need). Thanks.

#57 JimmyInTheROC

JimmyInTheROC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:12 PM

Don't bite the hand that feeds you dude, it's a gift that we get to see these at all. You need to understand the concept of "leaks" and "daily builds".

Google Chrome has dozens of builds every single day, for example.

#58 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:16 PM

Don't bite the hand that feeds you dude, it's a gift that we get to see these at all. You need to understand the concept of "leaks" and "daily builds".

Google Chrome has dozens of builds every single day, for example.

I may or may not also run chrome canary ;)

Posted Image

#59 bikebuilderdude

bikebuilderdude

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:16 PM

Sorry, i didn't mean it in a bad way, just can't believe how fast the updates are coming out lately.

#60 JimmyInTheROC

JimmyInTheROC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:19 PM

Sorry, i didn't mean it in a bad way, just can't believe how fast the updates are coming out lately.

No worries from me. I figured you didn't mean it like that.

Flash on! :)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users