comiskeybum

Droid Oracle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,684 posts
  • LocationSouth Bend, IN
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 7pro, Pixelbook Go, Galaxy Watch 5pro

Posted 05 March 2018 - 07:11 PM

I wasnt wowed personally.  Especially if they are not going to tie it to anything else.  Granted I didnt keep up with the show but I saw enough to get a general idea and that honestly didnt do much for me if it does not lead to anything such as Ezra showing up in Episode 9 or something.

• johnlgalt likes this

Pixel 7pro, Pixel 6pro, Pixel 6a, iPhone 13, Galaxy Tab A7lite, iPad pro 2020, Galaxy Watch 5pro

#182 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,481 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 05 March 2018 - 07:14 PM

If you haven't seen every single episode of this show, that end will make zero sense to you.  Having a sense is not enough.  That ending won't mean anything at all.

• johnlgalt likes this

Non potest esse nisi unus

#183 SnydersWeb

SnydersWeb

Part Time Mountain Sage, Part Time Village Idiot

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 5

Posted 06 March 2018 - 01:13 PM

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

"Faith and reason are the shoes on your feet! You can travel further with both than you can with just one."
- J. Michael Straczynski

#184 SnydersWeb

SnydersWeb

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 06 March 2018 - 01:21 PM

Just watched it..  Interesting ending.   Guess yeah, Ezra is out there... somewhere...   

Was rather entertained by Zeb's comment on the end (finally) of Rukh.  They did tidy things up where they didn't mess up canon.  

• johnlgalt likes this
"Faith and reason are the shoes on your feet! You can travel further with both than you can with just one."
- J. Michael Straczynski

#185 JB678

JB678

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationNorth Suburbs Chicago
  • Current Device(s):Moto X

Posted 06 March 2018 - 03:51 PM

Just watched it.. Interesting ending. Guess yeah, Ezra is out there... somewhere...

Was rather entertained by Zeb's comment on the end (finally) of Rukh. They did tidy things up where they didn't mess up canon.

Yeah Zeb on the comm with Thrawn was great.

I really hope that someone picks up the story of the Noghri. In the old EU the Noghri race was saved by Darth Vader after a massive clone wars battle nearly destroyed their home planet and he trained them as assassins. After Vader was gone Thrawn was using the Noghri as his personal assassins/body guards while keeping their home planet on the edge of dieing until Leia came and saved the day. The Noghri swore aligence to Leia and called her Lady Vader. The Noghri were always some of my favorites when they showed up.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• johnlgalt and SnydersWeb like this

#186 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,481 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 05:37 PM

Yea that scene with Rukh was hilarious.  "He'll have to call you back......oh, wait, nope he won't be doing that."  LOL!  

Ezra being out there is interesting.  I don't know how that changes things.  Ahsoka being out there is what REALLY intrigues me.  She was a fully trained Jedi Knight by the time she left the order.  Now she's.....something else.  I'm not really sure why she'd not take another stab at SkyGuy though in all that time.  It seems when Jedi and former Jedi are beaten they just go off into exhile.  This is where I feel Highlander does it better....live, grow stronger, fight another day.  They all kind of forgot that last part I guess.

#187 SnydersWeb

SnydersWeb

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 06 March 2018 - 05:56 PM

Up until this episode I had no idea a human and a twi'lek were genetically compatible...

Makes me grateful Hera wasn't Gamorrean.

• johnlgalt likes this
- J. Michael Straczynski

#188 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,481 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 07:03 PM

ROFLMAO!  I actually have a very big issue with that situation btw.  I'll just leave this thought for you....Hera had been drugged by the empire when Kanan rescued her.  I get that she truly did love him, but, ummmmmm, was she still under the influence of those drugs when little Kanan was created?  I don't think we want to DISCUSS this prospect in this thread but I at least want to make you consider the possibility.....

#189 SnydersWeb

SnydersWeb

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 06 March 2018 - 07:37 PM

ROFLMAO! I actually have a very big issue with that situation btw. I'll just leave this thought for you....Hera had been drugged by the empire when Kanan rescued her. I get that she truly did love him, but, ummmmmm, was she still under the influence of those drugs when little Kanan was created? I don't think we want to DISCUSS this prospect in this thread but I at least want to make you consider the possibility.....

Meh, who knows when it happened.. Only takes a couple of minutes and given Kanan's many years as a celebate Jedi, it likely took less than that. 😉

• johnlgalt likes this
- J. Michael Straczynski

#190 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,481 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:28 PM

Holy hell I can't believe they manage to keep the voice of Chopper secret for 4 freaking seasons! That was voiced by none other than Dave filoni himself!!!!!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

#191 SnydersWeb

SnydersWeb

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 07 March 2018 - 08:11 AM

• johnlgalt likes this
- J. Michael Straczynski

#192 SnydersWeb

SnydersWeb

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 07 March 2018 - 09:19 AM

Going forward there is one thing I keep seeing that bugs the crap out of me...

That what all happened to Ezra/Thrawn will be only told on some of the upcoming Disney streaming services.  I'm not really enthused about paying for a separate service from Disney - a lot of their movies are good, but as a company I don't care much for them.

While I can say I enjoyed Rebels, I would say that post-Disney I'm still more reserved in my Star Wars enthusiasm.   Yes, under Lucas, it had its issues, but it had a certain message at its core and it was one I resonated with.  It had a certain ethos to it.   With the new stuff - the ethos to me is less apparent.  So while it's enjoyable to watch, it just doesn't seem to give much of contemplative aftertastes to me.  Maybe I'm just nuts in what I'm saying - but there it is.   I'm hoping I'll have a better sense of things after the 3rd movie comes out in a few years.  

• johnlgalt likes this
- J. Michael Straczynski

#193 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,481 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 09:53 AM

A few years?  LOL  It comes out a year from May.  :)

I'm HAPPY with the direction they've gone because it resonates with the modern world.  We've touched on this before but the idea that spirituality is not confined to organized religion.  Rebels helped define some of that.  It takes a lot more effort to wrap your head around, but, it's a deeper message IMO.

As for Ezra/Thrawn, there is not going to be a show just about finding them and what happened to them.  Filoni left it open that they could potentially address that going forward in whatever new production he has lined up, but, that's not going to be the point of it.  So we may or may not see that arc closed.

• johnlgalt likes this

#194 SnydersWeb

SnydersWeb

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 07 March 2018 - 10:10 AM

A few years?  LOL  It comes out a year from May.  :)

I'm HAPPY with the direction they've gone because it resonates with the modern world.  We've touched on this before but the idea that spirituality is not confined to organized religion.  Rebels helped define some of that.  It takes a lot more effort to wrap your head around, but, it's a deeper message IMO.

As for Ezra/Thrawn, there is not going to be a show just about finding them and what happened to them.  Filoni left it open that they could potentially address that going forward in whatever new production he has lined up, but, that's not going to be the point of it.  So we may or may not see that arc closed.

OK maybe shorter than I had thought there.   :D

Curiosity alone would drive me to see the final movie.  I'm not a big fan of leaving loose threads when I can watch to tie them up.

You're right that spirituality isn't tied to any particular organized religion - in general I class myself far more spiritual than religious although on the religious scale I'm more Christian than any other religion given my upbringing.  If I were to correct myself I'd say Rebels was perhaps closer to the ethos than the new movies have been.  Still my jury is still out a bit because the movies haven't had anything apparent.  

I too have seen the interviews with Filoni on what he'll do on Ezra's fate.   And yes, we've likely seen the same articles where Filoni has stated clearly he's not going to do a quest for Ezra show.   I'm sure eventually we'll see his fate resolved - personally I'm hoping we'll get to see this on a platform that doesn't require a separate subscription to watch.

• johnlgalt likes this
- J. Michael Straczynski

#195 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,481 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 11:22 AM

OK maybe shorter than I had thought there.   :D

Curiosity alone would drive me to see the final movie.  I'm not a big fan of leaving loose threads when I can watch to tie them up.

You're right that spirituality isn't tied to any particular organized religion - in general I class myself far more spiritual than religious although on the religious scale I'm more Christian than any other religion given my upbringing.  If I were to correct myself I'd say Rebels was perhaps closer to the ethos than the new movies have been.  Still my jury is still out a bit because the movies haven't had anything apparent.  

I too have seen the interviews with Filoni on what he'll do on Ezra's fate.   And yes, we've likely seen the same articles where Filoni has stated clearly he's not going to do a quest for Ezra show.   I'm sure eventually we'll see his fate resolved - personally I'm hoping we'll get to see this on a platform that doesn't require a separate subscription to watch.

Yea, everyone probably assumed a December release like the last 2 but Last Jedi wasn't supposed to be a December release originally.  

I think the last movie will tie everything together.  Not, of course, according to the original plan where this would have been a Leia focused movie.  I don't know where they go with that from here.

The movies pulled a lot from what we got from Rebels.  The whole Yoda/Luke scene was a prime example.  Yoda's "let it burn" after Luke threatened but couldn't bring himself to do it was a direct connection to the foundation laid out in Rebels about the "old ways" not really being relevant.  Look at Kanan....he was a terrible Jedi from a traditional standpoint.  But in the end he was able to sacrifice to save his friends.  Ezra has the same kind of choice to make.  The comparison to Luke was interesting when Ezra chose not to bring his family back.  That really was his Jedi/Sith defining moment and he chose to be a Jedi.  Luke choosing not to kill Vader and completing his Jedi training was very similar.  But in terms of Last Jedi I think you're seeing them move away from the established Jedi Order and into something....different.  What that'll be we don't yet know but Rebels gave us a glimpse of what it could be.  Look at all Ahsoka has accomplished as someone who rejected the Jedi.

None of us like this streaming platform designed to strip money out of your wallet approach.  Most of us have already fought and lost this battle with Discovery, so, I just kind of shrug.  We've lost this battle.  Unless you plan to boycott all Disney property going forward, which is fine, but, not a choice I'm willing to make.  I sucked it up on CBS All Access for a year subscription.  But this is getting expensive and is starting to make me seriously consider cutting the cord.  Because quite frankly paying for all these on top of an already expensive cable subscription that doesn't include these streaming platforms is insanity.  So yea, it'll suck to have yet another platform but that's inevitable at this point.

• johnlgalt likes this

#196 SnydersWeb

SnydersWeb

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 07 March 2018 - 12:14 PM

Yea, everyone probably assumed a December release like the last 2 but Last Jedi wasn't supposed to be a December release originally.  

I think the last movie will tie everything together.  Not, of course, according to the original plan where this would have been a Leia focused movie.  I don't know where they go with that from here.

The movies pulled a lot from what we got from Rebels.  The whole Yoda/Luke scene was a prime example.  Yoda's "let it burn" after Luke threatened but couldn't bring himself to do it was a direct connection to the foundation laid out in Rebels about the "old ways" not really being relevant.  Look at Kanan....he was a terrible Jedi from a traditional standpoint.  But in the end he was able to sacrifice to save his friends.  Ezra has the same kind of choice to make.  The comparison to Luke was interesting when Ezra chose not to bring his family back.  That really was his Jedi/Sith defining moment and he chose to be a Jedi.  Luke choosing not to kill Vader and completing his Jedi training was very similar.  But in terms of Last Jedi I think you're seeing them move away from the established Jedi Order and into something....different.  What that'll be we don't yet know but Rebels gave us a glimpse of what it could be.  Look at all Ahsoka has accomplished as someone who rejected the Jedi.

None of us like this streaming platform designed to strip money out of your wallet approach.  Most of us have already fought and lost this battle with Discovery, so, I just kind of shrug.  We've lost this battle.  Unless you plan to boycott all Disney property going forward, which is fine, but, not a choice I'm willing to make.  I sucked it up on CBS All Access for a year subscription.  But this is getting expensive and is starting to make me seriously consider cutting the cord.  Because quite frankly paying for all these on top of an already expensive cable subscription that doesn't include these streaming platforms is insanity.  So yea, it'll suck to have yet another platform but that's inevitable at this point.

Yeah, Fisher's untimely death tossed a massive monkey wrench in the works - would love to see the before/after stories.  Guessing that we'll eventually get those on the postmortem talks with the various forces at play there. 

You're right that originally Kanan was almost desperate to get rid of Ezra.  Even going insofar as to find his original teacher, whom, unfortunately, turned out quite deceased.  In a way Ezra forced him to become a Jedi again.  As for Ahsoka I would like to see a deeper exploration of who she is now.  I think of her akin to a person who still is Christian, yet fell away from the church.  Her purified kyber crystals are a reflection of her - so where and how does she delineate herself from the Jedi?

Disney will be hard to avoid.  Their buying spree in the last decade or so has set themselves up to be damn near ubiquitous!  ABC, ESPN, Marvel, Muppets, Star Wars to name a few off the top of my head - and this is in addition to their own considerable portfolio of properties.  We're starting to see the transition away from the classic cable model into a new paradigm.  I seriously doubt this means a reduction in what we end up paying and a reduction in being forced to pay for $#!t we don't care about to get the stuff we do.  Essentially it's cutting out the middleman (cable company) and putting it straight on the consumer.  Not that I have much love for the cable companies...

• johnlgalt likes this
- J. Michael Straczynski

#197 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,481 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 01:26 PM

Yeah, Fisher's untimely death tossed a massive monkey wrench in the works - would love to see the before/after stories.  Guessing that we'll eventually get those on the postmortem talks with the various forces at play there. 

You're right that originally Kanan was almost desperate to get rid of Ezra.  Even going insofar as to find his original teacher, whom, unfortunately, turned out quite deceased.  In a way Ezra forced him to become a Jedi again.  As for Ahsoka I would like to see a deeper exploration of who she is now.  I think of her akin to a person who still is Christian, yet fell away from the church.  Her purified kyber crystals are a reflection of her - so where and how does she delineate herself from the Jedi?

Disney will be hard to avoid.  Their buying spree in the last decade or so has set themselves up to be damn near ubiquitous!  ABC, ESPN, Marvel, Muppets, Star Wars to name a few off the top of my head - and this is in addition to their own considerable portfolio of properties.  We're starting to see the transition away from the classic cable model into a new paradigm.  I seriously doubt this means a reduction in what we end up paying and a reduction in being forced to pay for $#!t we don't care about to get the stuff we do.  Essentially it's cutting out the middleman (cable company) and putting it straight on the consumer.  Not that I have much love for the cable companies...

I'll worry about what they had planned for Leia after we see what they do as a result of her untimely death.  It will be interesting to see, sure, but, I want to finish the story with an open mind.  Last Jedi threw me for a loop and I had to spend considerable effort wrapping my mind around it which is what makes it excellent IMO.

Kanan was a terrible Jedi until the very end.  And that makes him human and relatable.  He wasn't Obi-Wan.  He wasn't Yoda.  He wasn't Mace.  He was Kanan, a padawan who lost his master and was frightened to be associated with the Jedi.  You have to remember that the empire was hunting down and killing the remaining Jedi.  If you were a padawan in that time who somehow managed to survive, resurrecting the Jedi ways would be the last thing on your mind.  Here comes this kid who's incredibly strong with the force.  Sorry, kid, sucks you're stuck in this time but ummmm, go away before you bring the Jedi killing machine down upon us.  That's a valid response to that period in time.  Not a great response, but, it's a realistic one.  Which brings me to Ahsoka, actually.  Because I'm genuinely struggling, still, with the idea that she's still around.  She is very strong in the force, having been taught by one of the most powerful Jedi in history.  While she ultimately rejected the Jedi because they didn't have faith in her (an interesting twist actually), she didn't reject the good nature of helping people and being selfless.  It's exactly how you describe it as someone who loses faith in the church but still holds the ideals.  This is exactly why I find her character so relatable to myself.  But my struggle is here is this character, strong with the force, who knows the identity of Darth Vader (and to be clear, the comics just reiterated that everyone who knew Vader's true identity besides Yoda and Obi-Wan were executed without mercy) and was trained by him.  Sure, she lost against him in that one battle.  But she survived.  I can't imagine being that strong with the force and not wanting to do something about the two Sith terrorizing the galaxy.  Sure, she was helping the rebellion in her own ways, but, when Luke surfaced she didn't bother aligning with him??  I struggle with that one.  A lot.

Don't forget Disney is still in play for Fox.  They're going to own damn near everyone by the time they're done.  They really could be a netflix competitor by the time all is said and done.  We'll see.  If they want to go directly to the consumer that's fine....we have the power to tell them to suck it.  Now you all understand why I buy physical media for most of the things I watch.  I have a different sense of "ownership" than media companies do.

Now, bring on Last Jedi UHD!!!!

#198 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

Antidisestablishmentarianist

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/JohnLGalt
  • Location3rd Rock
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 4 XL 128 GB

Posted 07 March 2018 - 02:45 PM

What if she didn't sign with Luke because she saw him as nothing but representation of the larger problem, which is, in point of fact, the Jedi *Order* itself?

That certainly fits almost perfectly in line with both her character as well at the broader theme?

From Taimen, with Tapatalk.

#199 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,481 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 03:01 PM

No because she chose to help Kanan and Ezra and Luke was definitely part of the rebellion that she helped start.  So no, I don't buy that for a minute.

• johnlgalt likes this

#200 JB678

JB678

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationNorth Suburbs Chicago
  • Current Device(s):Moto X

Posted 07 March 2018 - 05:32 PM

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

After reading that I really wish that Disney would put Dave in charge of Star Wars like Kevin Feige is in charge at Marvel.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• johnlgalt, SamuriHL and SnydersWeb like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Spoilers, Last Jedi, Star Wars

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users