Photo

Anyone updated to 9.16.6 (4.1.2) and kept root?

root update

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#21 thewahlrus

thewahlrus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Twitter:thewahlrus
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR Maxx HD, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, HP Touch Pad with AOKP, cracked Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:18 PM

just extract from the image on the site.stop deleting stock programs lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

went back to the begining. nothing like a fresh start.

#22 juv3

juv3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:35 PM

Can someone confirm if Youtube and VEVO are showing real HD image thru HDMI Cable please? It works on stock ICS but they messed it up on 4.1.1

#23 oneillperson

oneillperson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Current Device(s):Razr HD

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:42 PM

My phone(Razr HD XT926 Verizon US Non dev.) was on 4.1.1 rooted and I took the ota by going to my stock rom slot and using OTA root keeper temp unrooted. Accepted the update then restored root afterwards. SS 3.12 was not working though, so I had to uninstall and reinstall it. Was running it all day then decided to try using the RazrHD utitlity 1.10 to restore back to stock ICS 4.0.4. Did step one and it worked. Rerooted now, and currently DL JB leak OTA to go back to 4.1.1 .

Can anyone else confirm that this works? I don't wanna take the update and accidentally lose root forever!! /paranoid

#24 KaChow

KaChow

If Only...

• Superuser
  • 364 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia
  • Current Device(s):S6 (sm-g920f), Moto XT1575(waiting)

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:11 PM

you think there could be a difference in the update packages?dl package was supplied by moto end

Not sure if I would say that the package is different, but I think it is safe to say there is a difference in the way the device takes the 4.1.2 update. From what I have read from others that took the OTA it was a smooth transition, there were no errors or aborted actions. I tried several times to take the update, received countless errors for missing apps, restored those apps, and cleaned the system the best I could and still was unsuccessful in succeeding with the downloaded update. Which brought me to a complete do-over, that is putting my device back into AP Fastboot and ran the Utility back to ICS, all the way through the JB update 4.1.1 that satman80 has posted, I was then able to get the 4.1.2 download update to go through, and restore root of course. But it was a long transition.

Now, while I am on this topic, and for those of us that know the JB OTA 4.1.1 is not working properly on the Razr/Maxx HD device 99.9% of the time. When this 4.1.2 update is eventually pushed out, is it likely that the troubled JB OTA 4.1.1 update will be removed or will it still be there. If it is still there, is it safe to say, that if we ever decide to downgrade for whatever reason, from 4.1.2 to 4.0.4, then decide to upgrade and go back to 4.1.2, with the JB OTA 4.1.1 still there (not fully functioning), which I imagine it cannot be bypassed or skipped over to get to the 4.1.2 OTA update therefore, after root, we will basically need to rely on upgrading through android system recovery with the downloads (4.1.1&4.1.2), furthermore OTA would basically end once updating to 0.7.2.

If you like this signature click on the Marvel logo this one is from Thor: The Dark World-> copy the html link to your signature in my settings-> Enjoy!

#25 tech_head

tech_head

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:30 PM

Has any with a rooted XT926 successfully used Root Keeper and flashed the latest 9.16.6 update from Motorola and then restored root? The update file is available but I'm holding off flashing until I'm sure I won't have to go through the whole process of going back to 4.0.4 if root is lost.

Used Voodoo and was able to keep root.
Did not temp-unroot first. Just took the update.

#26 juv3

juv3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:37 PM

Not sure if I would say that the package is different, but I think it is safe to say there is a difference in the way the device takes the 4.1.2 update. From what I have read from others that took the OTA it was a smooth transition, there were no errors or aborted actions. I tried several times to take the update, received countless errors for missing apps, restored those apps, and cleaned the system the best I could and still was unsuccessful in succeeding with the downloaded update. Which brought me to a complete do-over, that is putting my device back into AP Fastboot and ran the Utility back to ICS, all the way through the JB update 4.1.1 that satman80 has posted, I was then able to get the 4.1.2 download update to go through, and restore root of course. But it was a long transition.

Now, while I am on this topic, and for those of us that know the JB OTA 4.1.1 is not working properly on the Razr/Maxx HD device 99.9% of the time. When this 4.1.2 update is eventually pushed out, is it likely that the troubled JB OTA 4.1.1 update will be removed or will it still be there. If it is still there, is it safe to say, that if we ever decide to downgrade for whatever reason, from 4.1.2 to 4.0.4, then decide to upgrade and go back to 4.1.2, with the JB OTA 4.1.1 still there (not fully functioning), which I imagine it cannot be bypassed or skipped over to get to the 4.1.2 OTA update therefore, after root, we will basically need to rely on upgrading through android system recovery with the downloads (4.1.1&4.1.2), furthermore OTA would basically end once updating to 0.7.2.

interesting... I went all the back to stock 4.0.4, rooted and used vodoo to hide root and upgraded all the way to 4.1.1 and 4.1.1 said I was up to date... no updates available so I went to droid life and installed manually from recovery, booted, rebooted, did a factory reset from recovery to make sure it was clean, booted again and restored root with vodoo...

• markymarkmark12345 likes this

#27 KaChow

KaChow

If Only...

• Superuser
  • 364 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia
  • Current Device(s):S6 (sm-g920f), Moto XT1575(waiting)

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:53 PM

interesting... I went all the back to stock 4.0.4, rooted and used vodoo to hide root and upgraded all the way to 4.1.1 and 4.1.1 said I was up to date... no updates available so I went to droid life and installed manually from recovery, booted, rebooted, did a factory reset from recovery to make sure it was clean, booted again and restored root with vodoo...

You must be part of that .01%.

If you like this signature click on the Marvel logo this one is from Thor: The Dark World-> copy the html link to your signature in my settings-> Enjoy!

#28 juv3

juv3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:32 PM

You must be part of that .01%.

I know lol... its not too hard to believe I might be in the .01% out of .001% that are able to bypass the 4.1.1 error of not showing the update lmao

#29 dvgb131

dvgb131

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Twitter:dvgb173
  • LocationAlbany
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx HD

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:10 AM

Used Voodoo and was able to keep root.
Did not temp-unroot first. Just took the update.

If you didn't temp unroot, what did you use Voodoo for?

Doug B.

Doug B.

#30 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:16 AM

If you didn't temp unroot, what did you use Voodoo for?

Doug B.

Voodoo creates the root backup when you start it if all the conditions are right. That's the way to restore root. You don't have to unroot to take an update unless the update has issues with it. It is usually other things done with root that cause issues, like removing bloat, etc.

RAZR HD Dev

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#31 dvgb131

dvgb131

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationAlbany

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:32 AM

Voodoo creates the root backup when you start it if all the conditions are right. That's the way to restore root. You don't have to unroot to take an update unless the update has issues with it. It is usually other things done with root that cause issues, like removing bloat, etc.

RAZR HD Dev

Thanks for the response. I wouldn't have thought to even open Voodoo if I wasn't going to temp unroot. It's been a while since I used it, but iirc, Voodoo doesn't save the backup until you temp unroot. Please correct me if this is not the case.

Doug B.

Doug B.

#32 satman80

satman80

Gny. Sgt. Hartman

• Administrator
  • 3,159 posts
  • LocationPluto
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr HD Maxx, Moto X Developer Edition

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:35 AM

Thanks for the response. I wouldn't have thought to even open Voodoo if I wasn't going to temp unroot. It's been a while since I used it, but iirc, Voodoo doesn't save the backup until you temp unroot. Please correct me if this is not the case.

Doug B.

also make sure update SU binaries are current..
Click root, then tempunroot 4 times, this will make sure it has a good backup,

Signature Made & Protected by zooyork0721

Posted Image

Site Rules and Guidelines

#33 juv3

juv3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:50 AM

Doug B.

YOU MUST SELECT CREATE BACKUP THEN TEMP UNROOT, AND LAST... RESTORE ROOT... TO ENSURE ITS WORKING BEFORE YOU PROCEED

#34 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:52 AM

Doug B.

you know, you are right. My apologies. I haven't needed to use it with the ulbl but I did try it to say I did. I did do close to what satman stated and went in and out a couple times. Forgot about that. Regardless, he must have done the same at some point and had a backup in there from the sounds of it.

RAZR HD Dev

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#35 dvgb131

dvgb131

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationAlbany

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:14 AM

also make sure update SU binaries are current..
Click root, then tempunroot 4 times, this will make sure it has a good backup,

Is it necessary to hit delete backup before each temp unroot?
Or does the temp unroot overwrite the existing backup?
Thanks for the clarifications.

Doug B.

Doug B.

#36 satman80

satman80

Gny. Sgt. Hartman

• Administrator
  • 3,159 posts
  • LocationPluto
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr HD Maxx, Moto X Developer Edition

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:34 AM

Is it necessary to hit delete backup before each temp unroot?
Or does the temp unroot overwrite the existing backup?
Thanks for the clarifications.

Doug B.

nope just hit it 4 times, don't delete... Note: I have not gone to this update yet... As dev's are yelling nooooooo... just sayin...
  • trikotret likes this

Signature Made & Protected by zooyork0721

Posted Image

Site Rules and Guidelines

#37 Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd

Freak on a Leash

• Administrator
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWindy City
  • Current Device(s):x13 Dev Ed & x14 Pure Ed & Droid Turbo

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:07 AM

nope just hit it 4 times, don't delete... Note: I have not gone to this update yet... As dev's are yelling nooooooo... just sayin...

Me either and I own a Dev edition.....lol. Curious on why they are yelling NO tho

#38 T0ked

T0ked

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:20 AM

Updated fine OTA. Retained root with rootkeeper. All updates have been via OTA. From the threads looks like as long as you have root prior to this update, going back to ics is possible. Correct me if I'm wrong.

#39 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:26 AM

Updated fine OTA. Retained root with rootkeeper. All updates have been via OTA. From the threads looks like as long as you have root prior to this update, going back to ics is possible. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Nope. As of right now there is no going back to ICS. A couple people have tried. One says he has success but we are waiting for him to try again or someone else to be successful.

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#40 T0ked

T0ked

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:34 AM

Nope. As of right now there is no going back to ICS. A couple people have tried. One says he has success but we are waiting for him to try again or someone else to be successful.

Got it. Thanks for clearing that up. Good thing rootkeeper worked!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users