433 replies to this topic

#41 Tucknology

Tucknology

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:45 AM

Superuser is v3.1.3 (46). The su binary is 3.1.1 (17).

Confirmed

#42 milski65

milski65

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Twitter:milski65

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:32 AM

To update the binaries

Tapatalking .247 Bionic

That's odd. I was able to without paying for the elite version of the app. We must have different SU apps.

You have superuser. He's referring to super su

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk 2

#43 markc23

markc23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationNW Ohio

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

Thanks Sam, I was hoping for a post like this.

• SamuriHL likes this

#44 BubbleSort

BubbleSort

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:40 AM

Is anyone using Kousch's SuperUser? It keeps trying to update the su binary but failing. I have a Voodoo Protected Root that claims to restore successfully, but I can't get root with it.

EDIT: SuperSU fails to find the binary and closes, SuperUser (Chainfire) is unable to find the SU binary.

#45 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,478 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:55 AM

I have not seen anyone try with that su, no.

Non potest esse nisi unus

#46 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

Antidisestablishmentarianist

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/JohnLGalt
  • Location3rd Rock
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 4 XL 128 GB

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:57 AM

Koush's Superuser app uses a different su binary, and it checks on boot if there is a missing / outdated su binary.  If not, it will not say anything.

So, I have my phone rooted using Koush's superuser and his proprietary binary, and VooDoo says it is backed up - later tonight I'll give it a plunge, but I'm betting that it b0rks - b/c on my ASUS Tranformer Infinity w just got yet another JB update and VooDoo could not restore that one either.  But, up until reading this, I thought it was b/c of hte update method that ASUS uses - where they just wipe everything and then copy the new files (IIRC).

If it does nto work with this, then I'll be mad as a m'fer - but I might instead try to revert to the standard Superuser and su and see if it *does* work with that one, and if it does then I'll go ahead and redo it with Koush's and see if it does or does not - and if it does not I'll be contacting Koush directly for some answers.  Hell, I might try to contact him now lol....maybe he knows it is a bug....

#47 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,478 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:00 PM

I'm updating razr's edge locally and will be using that to re-root with.  I'm not gonna screw around.  I know that will work with the updated superuser/su.  I have supersu but I'm not willing to risk losing root.

#48 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:03 PM

One more thing - did you reboot after running Voodoo and see if the su binary gets restored?

#49 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:05 PM

I'm updating razr's edge locally and will be using that to re-root with.  I'm not gonna screw around.  I know that will work with the updated superuser/su.  I have supersu but I'm not willing to risk losing root.

Uh, yeah, I did that for my BIONIC (and I even told you so when I did it a couple of months back when I did a full wipe and install) and also for the utility used to root my Transformer Infinity.  Infinity is still root broken.

I'm sending off an email to Koush now.

#50 King Howie

King Howie

Minister of Jackbooted Thugs

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts
  • Current Device(s):Galaxy S4 GPE, Nexus 7 (2013)

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:07 PM

I'm probably off my nut, but I thought I heard somewhere one can only use one superuser app at a time. Is this correct? If no, perhaps those of us who haven't jumped on the update might could install a couple su apps and rootcondom all of them

#51 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:12 PM

Hard to have more than one of the same file that is installed in the same location with the same name.

The original superuser.apk uses a su binary.  Koush's superuser.apk (yes, identical name) also uses a su binary (also identical name).

I think that Supersu is a different apk, but I am pretty sure that it is the same for the binary, su - so even if you had multiple versions of the .apk you'd only get 1 su, unless you 1) updated the su binary through one .apk, then made a backup using Voodoo, then 2) cp / mv it to a new location, then 3) install the second .apk, 4) lather, rinse, and repeat (from step 1)....

And that really does you no good at all, b/c You need the backup to be in the location that Voodoo places it in order to restore - and in order to copy back to that location in order to restore you need....

root privileges.

Catch .22 b/c of the tightened security on these builds.

Edited by johnlgalt, 15 April 2013 - 12:15 PM.
added info, fixed steps

#52 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:15 PM

bbiab - computer wants to reboot.

#53 twinkyz1979

twinkyz1979

Veteran Flasher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationOhio
  • Current Device(s):Motorola Droid Ultra XT1080

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:31 PM

i know on 246 using HoB with SuperSU after modifying the run.bat that it will root and install without problems. The only difference i have noticed in the way Superuser and SuperSU install is 1 has su in /bin and the other has it in /xbin and symlinked vise versa.

I am not sure how to update the su binary with SuperSU although i know over at XDA version 1.25 of the app is out over at XDA.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#54 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:36 PM

With Koush's there was no need to modify the bat, just replace the respective apps with the Koush versions since the name was the same.

Since VooDoo backs both superuser's su and SuperSu's su, it must check both /bin and /xbin - or else it is able to copy from the symlink in one or the other.

#55 King Howie

King Howie

Minister of Jackbooted Thugs

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts
  • Current Device(s):Galaxy S4 GPE, Nexus 7 (2013)

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:42 PM

Thank you for your help, John. I'm always impressed by how thorough your explanations are

#56 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,478 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:43 PM

Uh, yeah, I did that for my BIONIC (and I even told you so when I did it a couple of months back when I did a full wipe and install) and also for the utility used to root my Transformer Infinity.  Infinity is still root broken.

I'm sending off an email to Koush now.

I'm not using Koush's SU stuff.  I can't afford to take the chance of f'ing this up if I decide to JB this thing.

• johnlgalt likes this

#57 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,478 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:45 PM

i know on 246 using HoB with SuperSU after modifying the run.bat that it will root and install without problems. The only difference i have noticed in the way Superuser and SuperSU install is 1 has su in /bin and the other has it in /xbin and symlinked vise versa.

I am not sure how to update the su binary with SuperSU although i know over at XDA version 1.25 of the app is out over at XDA.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Run SuperSU and it'll tell you if it needs to be updated or not.

• johnlgalt likes this

#58 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

I'm not using Koush's SU stuff.  I can't afford to take the chance of f'ing this up if I decide to JB this thing.

I'm going to try it - at worst, I temporarily lose root until an exploit is found....

#59 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,478 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:55 PM

I'm going to try it - at worst, I temporarily lose root until an exploit is found....

You do know that there won't be a new root exploit forthcoming right?  Dan quit. Done.  Finito.  So unless someone else as good as him steps up to the plate for this one EOL OMAP phone, um, yea...

#60 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

I missed that Dan quit - and I'll only have this phone for a couple of months more anyway....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users