• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • Twitter:@MrFrankReyna
  • Google+:frankreyna
  • LocationSoCal, USA
  • Current Device(s):LG G2 on VZW

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:04 AM

For those having issues. Please do not post here saying you're having XYZ problem until you've done the following:

1) Use RSD and go back to 744 or 173 depending what files you have available. I would say use Matt's utility but there are too many versions floating around and some people are having hit or miss results with it. My guess is people are using the wrong options when using it. As RSD has no options for you and will just blanket nuke everything, I suggest that route.

2) You have executed a factory wipe immediately before or after the above step. I'm sorry. But whatever issues you're having could be related to your current setup and/or data. Get rid of it and start over.

3) You have re-read and COMPLETELY understand the steps listed in the OP. There are many people asking questions that have answers clearly stated in the OP.

I can also confirm these steps work as I was up til Midnight and in the Chatbox getting up to ICS successfully without any issues.

Moved on to the LG G2 on VZW and lovin it!

#862 beeryooper

beeryooper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:13 AM

In response to arcanexvi - I'm pretty sure I did everything as I should.

1. Used the .173 fastboot files and the fastboot commands to restore back to stock - system, preinstall, etc.
2. Once rebooted, did a factory wipe, including wiping both internal and external sd cards.
3. upon reboot, added my google account to of course download apps from the market.
4. used the motofail utility to root and reboot
5. downloaded ota rootkeeper, es file manager, and rom manager from market. ran ota to protect root.
6. ran each of those apps in order to give initial superuser permissions. ran es file manager checking the options for the root folder, system write, etc.
7. copied the files from the torrent to my external sd card.
8. using es file manager, copied (also tried moving) them to the /cache folder in my root directory.
9. click the zip file, choose open with rom manager. rom manager says a reboot into clockwork mod is needed. hit ok.
10. phone reboots, displays moto logo, then the usual unpack/install animation with the android guy. once the progress bar hits 30-40%, the install box turns into a triangle with an exclamation point. Stays like that for 15-20 seconds, then the phone reboots back to the stock .173 I started with.

I tried this 3 times, taking a different approach each time. My only guess is I need to try going back to 744 or 748 first. But some people have posted here they were able to install ICS right from 173, so I'm not sure why its not working. I checked the md5 on the zip file and it checks out. Out of curiosity I unzipped that zip file and noticed most of the files have a "date modified" of 2008? Thought that was strange. I'm going to try going back to 744 this weekend and trying again, but I need my phone for work today and tomorrow.

#863 (TSON)

(TSON)

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:17 AM

That means you aren't completely stock. (Rooted/Not rooted doesn't matter but if you freeze stuff that will, & other misc edits)

If you're gonna try again, press vol down and vol up when you get in stock recovery and it should let you know what goes wrong.

#864 6gunSimmons

6gunSimmons

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:20 AM

Everything works fine including root after using the terminal commands to restore it.

Only thing is. Does any one know how to make the Sqlite mod for the hotspot app work on the ICS OTA leak?

I tried going to settings storage --> settings--> ---> then changed 79 "entitlement check" from 1 to 0. It was 150 on GB. Has this been "patched" or am I doing something wrong?

#865 6gunSimmons

6gunSimmons

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:29 AM

Never mind. I tried it again and for some reason it worked. Hopefully I didn't just add $30 a month to my account. Well we will find out when I get my account won't we. :lol:

I will warn you if it charges me.

#866 Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd

Freak on a Leash

• Administrator
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWindy City
  • Current Device(s):x13 Dev Ed & x14 Pure Ed & Droid Turbo

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:37 AM

In response to arcanexvi - I'm pretty sure I did everything as I should.

1. Used the .173 fastboot files and the fastboot commands to restore back to stock - system, preinstall, etc.
2. Once rebooted, did a factory wipe, including wiping both internal and external sd cards.
3. upon reboot, added my google account to of course download apps from the market.
4. used the motofail utility to root and reboot
5. downloaded ota rootkeeper, es file manager, and rom manager from market. ran ota to protect root.
6. ran each of those apps in order to give initial superuser permissions. ran es file manager checking the options for the root folder, system write, etc.
7. copied the files from the torrent to my external sd card.
8. using es file manager, copied (also tried moving) them to the /cache folder in my root directory.
9. click the zip file, choose open with rom manager. rom manager says a reboot into clockwork mod is needed. hit ok.
10. phone reboots, displays moto logo, then the usual unpack/install animation with the android guy. once the progress bar hits 30-40%, the install box turns into a triangle with an exclamation point. Stays like that for 15-20 seconds, then the phone reboots back to the stock .173 I started with.

I tried this 3 times, taking a different approach each time. My only guess is I need to try going back to 744 or 748 first. But some people have posted here they were able to install ICS right from 173, so I'm not sure why its not working. I checked the md5 on the zip file and it checks out. Out of curiosity I unzipped that zip file and noticed most of the files have a "date modified" of 2008? Thought that was strange. I'm going to try going back to 744 this weekend and trying again, but I need my phone for work today and tomorrow.

In step one you said " fastboot commands to restore back to stock - system, preinstall, etc." what does etc mean. did you do each and every separate partition? If not my guess is that is why it is failing on you. Ages ago on something completely different I was doing the same thing. I got so ticked off I finally just used RSD Lite to do a full fresh restore of stock SW and the update went threw just fine. That said my suggestion is to use RSD Lite and let it fully redo your device instead of manually fastbooting each part.
  • MrFrankRazr likes this

#867 beeryooper

beeryooper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:33 AM

In step one you said " fastboot commands to restore back to stock - system, preinstall, etc." what does etc mean. did you do each and every separate partition? If not my guess is that is why it is failing on you. Ages ago on something completely different I was doing the same thing. I got so ticked off I finally just used RSD Lite to do a full fresh restore of stock SW and the update went threw just fine. That said my suggestion is to use RSD Lite and let it fully redo your device instead of manually fastbooting each part.

Alright thanks I'll give that a shot. yeah by etc I meant for each image i would use the fastboot command to reflash that image separately. I figured fastbooting each image individually was the safest way to go, as I know exactly what was done. Does matt's utility basically do the same thing when selecting the option to "restore stock", but in a batch function? I never used his utility to revert back to stock, have always done fastboot to this point. I may have some time tonight to try this again.

#868 branshaw09

branshaw09

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Twitter:branshaw09

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:55 AM

Flawless for me... thank you! When I go back into Voodoo to restore root it is not restoring though.
When I hit restore root I get the box that tells me that Voodoo has been given superuser permission and then root su restored, but after a status refresh the Device rooted and Root Permission granted boxes are not checked.
Any new root apps are not given root permission. Thoughts?

SU App installed - check
Device Rooted - unchecked
root permission granted - unchecked
Filesystem supports root protection - checked
Protected su copy available - checked

#869 (TSON)

(TSON)

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:25 AM

Never mind. I tried it again and for some reason it worked. Hopefully I didn't just add $30 a month to my account. Well we will find out when I get my account won't we. :lol:

I will warn you if it charges me.

You really should just use the third party app. The way you're doing it is alot more shady.

#870 money mike

money mike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:40 AM

You really should just use the third party app. The way you're doing it is alot more shady.

I agree. Plus the hotspot app is junk. Wifi tether seems to work much better for me. Hell i pay for tethering and i sill use 3rd party apps.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

#871 TheEvilMonkey

TheEvilMonkey

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:56 AM

Anyone able to get Flash video working ? I downloaded the latest from the Market (Flash 11). Video appears to want to start to play but all it shows is a blank screen.

#872 Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd

Freak on a Leash

• Administrator
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWindy City

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:02 AM

Alright thanks I'll give that a shot. yeah by etc I meant for each image i would use the fastboot command to reflash that image separately. I figured fastbooting each image individually was the safest way to go, as I know exactly what was done. Does matt's utility basically do the same thing when selecting the option to "restore stock", but in a batch function? I never used his utility to revert back to stock, have always done fastboot to this point. I may have some time tonight to try this again.

I've never used his Utility myself. If I need a full restore I just use RSD Lite. If I'm just messing with say /system or /preinstall I'll fastboot manually those specific partitions to save time.

#873 Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd

Freak on a Leash

• Administrator
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWindy City

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:04 AM

Flawless for me... thank you! When I go back into Voodoo to restore root it is not restoring though.
When I hit restore root I get the box that tells me that Voodoo has been given superuser permission and then root su restored, but after a status refresh the Device rooted and Root Permission granted boxes are not checked.
Any new root apps are not given root permission. Thoughts?

SU App installed - check
Device Rooted - unchecked
root permission granted - unchecked
Filesystem supports root protection - checked
Protected su copy available - checked

Same exact thing has happened to me 4 times now trying to update. And for the life of me I can't figure out why as i've followed everything to a T and even talked with P3droid & dhacker about it on why it keeps happening. And what pisses me off is this is the first time I've ever had troubles doing an update and using Voodoo Rootkeeper to get root back. Mind you I'm not new to any of this stuff either so i think that is why it is pissing me off more then anything

#874 uberbdon

uberbdon

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:10 AM

My installation went fine, but Voodoo won't restore my root access. It tells me it has, but when I try to run ROM Toolbox it tells me it can't get root. So I went into Superuser and tried to update it, but it gives me the following error message:

Checking installed version: Legacy
Fixing database: okay!
Checking for busybox: okay!
Checking current install path: failed!

Failed to find currently installed su binary. Update cannot continue.

I rooted using the Razr Utility. I'm going to RSD back to stock and try to use Motofail directly and see if that makes any difference (can't see why it would, but worth a shot).

Sent From Optimus Prime

The command line method to restore root worked for me after voodoo failed.

#875 branshaw09

branshaw09

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Twitter:branshaw09

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:13 AM

Same exact thing has happened to me 4 times now trying to update. And for the life of me I can't figure out why as i've followed everything to a T and even talked with P3droid & dhacker about it on why it keeps happening. And what pisses me off is this is the first time I've ever had troubles doing an update and using Voodoo Rootkeeper to get root back. Mind you I'm not new to any of this stuff either so i think that is why it is pissing me off more then anything

We just were not looking enough for the answer! Found this and worked perfectly!!

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#876 money mike

money mike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:31 AM

Anyone able to get Flash video working ? I downloaded the latest from the Market (Flash 11). Video appears to want to start to play but all it shows is a blank screen.

I just tested the stock browser and i do have working flash.

#877 TheEvilMonkey

TheEvilMonkey

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:34 AM

I just tested the stock browser and i do have working flash.

With video ? Try some videos from CNN.com (full site). Flash ads are working for me, but no video.

#878 Mike_Casanova

Mike_Casanova

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:35 AM

Does this ota update unlock the bootloader????

#879 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:35 AM

Does this ota update unlock the bootloader????

If it did, you can rest assured that we would be making a huge deal about it.

#880 Skater95

Skater95

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:36 AM

So I'm doing everything correctly as stated in the orginal post, and I've copy it to the cache folder, gets about 1/4 of the way through it, then it aborts, and I've noticed it deleted itself for the cache folder. Is there a fix for this, or can I just not flash this?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users