1349 replies to this topic

#901 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:11 PM

Well the update is installing but I did a noob-move and forgot to "temp un-root" before installing lol. Looks like I'll be fastbooting back and going at it again haha.

You absolutely cannot temp un-root before the update. Historically this has ZERO bearing on your ability to retain root post-update. I hate that this rumor got started and I spend half my time debunking it. Regardless this process requires that you have root access to function. Period. Where in my directions does it say to temp-unroot?
  • jtelander likes this

Posted Image

Become a supporting member and help, get a DEV a phone, by going HERE

Please take the time to read our forum rules and guidelines.

#902 uberbdon

uberbdon

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:25 PM

This is the post with the direct download links for the zip and .cc file

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I didn't temp unroot. All I had to do was run the terminal commands to restore root.

You absolutely cannot temp un-root before the update. Historically this has ZERO bearing on your ability to retain root post-update. I hate that this rumor got started and I spend half my time debunking it. Regardless this process requires that you have root access to function. Period. Where in my directions does it say to temp-unroot?

Exactly. I never temp unrooted and kept root. A rumor is all it was.

#903 money mike

money mike

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:28 PM

I didn't temp unroot. All I had to do was run the terminal commands to restore root.

Exactly. I never temp unrooted and kept root. A rumor is all it was.

Has anyone found a way to make the terminal command work if it's getting errors? Or am i going to need to fastboot back and start over?

#904 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:32 PM

Well it's obviously not just a rumor. I kept root by doing it when it first came out. Tried to restore root this time without doing it and root was not restored. I understand in the OPs method it does not say to temp un-root, however, I didn't keep root when I did not temp un-root first.

#905 uberbdon

uberbdon

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:34 PM

Well it's obviously not just a rumor. I kept root by doing it when it first came out. Tried to restore root this time without doing it and root was not restored. I understand in the OPs method it does not say to temp un-root, however, I didn't keep root when I did not temp un-root first.

What I'm curious to know is if it's just a coincidence that you kept root while temp unrooting and didnt keep root when not? That's what I'm thinking as there have been all sorts of results from all different methods. I don't see how, when everyone is SBFing to 173, then updating, it retains root differently.

#906 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:44 PM

What I'm curious to know is if it's just a coincidence that you kept root while temp unrooting and didnt keep root when not? That's what I'm thinking as there have been all sorts of results from all different methods. I don't see how, when everyone is SBFing to 173, then updating, it retains root differently.

It's confusing to me as well. When the update first came out over the weekend, I was like the third person to get it installed and retained root. I tried the update 3 times with doing the temp un-root and was never able to restore root. Fourth try, I did the temp-unroot then installed the update and restoring root worked perfectly. This time around, I followed the directions in the OP to a T and did not successfully restore root.

This situation was presented before when everyone was doing the Cheesecake method. The Root Keeper app would definitely say that root was restored, then upon checking with Term, it was quickly found that no one actually retained root. So the method of install changed to where you had to temp un-root right before installing the update, then restore root after and it worked flawlessly.

Arcaenxvi, I understand that your instructions do not say to temp un-root. However, successfully restoring root has never worked for me and countless others any other way. I did follow your instructions exactly how you put them and did not restore root.

#907 etrorteepe

etrorteepe

Not a Belieber

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 5

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:58 PM

Unless I'm missing something, you can't temp un-root or else you wouldn't be able to use Rom Manager to target the rom file and reboot into recovery.

#908 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:05 PM

Unless I'm missing something, you can't temp un-root or else you wouldn't be able to use Rom Manager to target the rom file and reboot into recovery.

Pretty sure you are right. Starting from a full clean system and not being able to temp unroot worked fine for me in the end

RSD to 744
Factory reset
take OTAs to 173
root
Install Rootkeeper, Rom Manager, ES File Explorer
Protect Root
Copy files to cache
open files via ES File Explorer and select Rom Manager
Successfully updated to ICS
Restore root -> didn't work
Follow DHacker/Pill's steps to restore root via Term, root works
Realize I forgot to setup HotSpot before upgrading... cry, and decide to deal with it later

#909 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:08 PM

Restore root -> didn't work
Follow DHacker/Pill's steps to restore root via Term, root works

+1

Had to use DHacker's terminal commands to restore root. It absolutely would NOT restore with OTA Root Keeper.

#910 uberbdon

uberbdon

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:22 PM

It's confusing to me as well. When the update first came out over the weekend, I was like the third person to get it installed and retained root. I tried the update 3 times with doing the temp un-root and was never able to restore root. Fourth try, I did the temp-unroot then installed the update and restoring root worked perfectly. This time around, I followed the directions in the OP to a T and did not successfully restore root.

This situation was presented before when everyone was doing the Cheesecake method. The Root Keeper app would definitely say that root was restored, then upon checking with Term, it was quickly found that no one actually retained root. So the method of install changed to where you had to temp un-root right before installing the update, then restore root after and it worked flawlessly.

Arcaenxvi, I understand that your instructions do not say to temp un-root. However, successfully restoring root has never worked for me and countless others any other way. I did follow your instructions exactly how you put them and did not restore root.

I've been on ICS since the first day of the cheesecake leak. I didn't temp unroot. I flashed, and voodoo said I wasn't rooted. I didn't feel like SBFing back thinking the OTA would come out. When I saw the terminal method I tried that and it re-rooted just fine. I don't know...

#911 michaelfjsmith2

michaelfjsmith2

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:25 PM

does anyone have a link to download the stock .744 file for rsd lite?

#912 bilbobaggins

bilbobaggins

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:49 PM

It's in here with step by step instructions

#913 JaYvIn

JaYvIn

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:27 PM

I have ICS 4.0.3 installed on my RAZR MAXX successfully after I uninstalled SafeStrap and following all directions. My question is now, when I try to re-install SafeStrap version 1.07 back on ICS, it installs but doesn't open. Is there an updated version of SafeStrap Recovery compatibly with Ice Cream Sandwich or no versions of SafeStrap is compatible with ICS yet? Has anyone gotten SafeStrap to install and work on ICS is what I'm asking?

#914 skittles

skittles

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:38 PM

Have to say worked without a hitch. Followed instructions, updated and retained root. Great write up by

and thanks to Vicious for his hard work finding a way to get this working.

#915 NattyBee

NattyBee

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:03 PM

Have to say worked without a hitch. Followed instructions, updated and retained root. Great write up by

and thanks to Vicious for his hard work finding a way to get this working.

how did you retain root? Rootkeeper is unable to retain root, and I can't recall where to find dhacker's instructions on retaining root...

nevermind...Thach sent it to me...

perhaps we could get this added to the OP?

Edited by NattyBee, 05 April 2012 - 04:09 PM.

#916 HunterH116

HunterH116

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:04 PM

Successfully on leaked ICS for RAZR MAXX after an excruciating wait!!! I love it. Brings back fond Galaxy Nexus memories, but with a better battery and signal!

#917 MrFrankRazr

MrFrankRazr

Dedicated Supporter

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • Twitter:@MrFrankReyna
  • Google+:frankreyna
  • LocationSoCal, USA
  • Current Device(s):LG G2 on VZW

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:27 PM

I got to ICS at Midnight last night/this morning while in the Chatbox. I was on base .173, Bootstrap running Black Widow ICS ROM.

RSD to 744.
Wiped cache, factory reset in MOTO Recovery.
Rebooted, took 748 OTA over WiFi.
Rooted with Zurg v2, Verified Root with Root Checker. Protected Root with OTA Root Protector.
Temp unroot.
Took 173 OTA over Wifi.
Installed ES Explorer and ROM Manager.
Copied zip and crc file to /cache.
From ES Explorer, tapped zip file and chose ROM Manager to open.
Confirmed ROM Manager...then let my Razr boot to Box/Andy screen and waited....
and waited...and waited.
Finally, after about 15 minutes it rebooted to Red Eye and into Home Page!
Once settled after about another 15-20min cuz it will laaaaag....I restored Root successfully.

Still running ICS as a Happy Camper.

Only, only issue so far is stock browser will lag quite a bit sometimes...but only tested in Facebook though. :)
  • MartyChubbs likes this

Moved on to the LG G2 on VZW and lovin it!

#918 MartyChubbs

MartyChubbs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationThe Ghetto, Minnesota

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:37 PM

So, setting up Hotspot and editing the database in GB before ICS is a great tip!

Everything you need or may need one day:
I (aka Mr. Chubbs aka Marty "The Wad" Chubbs aka Knot Mehreelname ) accept no liability for the content of this post. I basically made it all up as I was typing...

#919 OMGzBananas

OMGzBananas

Monkeys Eat me

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:21 PM

+1

Had to use DHacker's terminal commands to restore root. It absolutely would NOT restore with OTA Root Keeper.

Yeah I had weird issues with rootkeeper myself. Rootkeeper gave me some root abilities, like uninstalling bloatware in rtb, but I couldn't restore backuped applications. The terminal emulator commands seemed to solve the problems for me.

#920 MartyChubbs

MartyChubbs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationThe Ghetto, Minnesota

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:19 PM

Followed the guide, didn't work. Going to try Mr.Frank's

I got to ICS at Midnight last night/this morning while in the Chatbox. I was on base .173, Bootstrap running Black Widow ICS ROM.

RSD to 744.
Wiped cache, factory reset in MOTO Recovery.
Rebooted, took 748 OTA over WiFi.
Rooted with Zurg v2, Verified Root with Root Checker. Protected Root with OTA Root Protector.
Temp unroot.
Took 173 OTA over Wifi.
Installed ES Explorer and ROM Manager.
Copied zip and crc file to /cache.
From ES Explorer, tapped zip file and chose ROM Manager to open.
Confirmed ROM Manager...then let my Razr boot to Box/Andy screen and waited....
and waited...and waited.
Finally, after about 15 minutes it rebooted to Red Eye and into Home Page!
Once settled after about another 15-20min cuz it will laaaaag....I restored Root successfully.

Still running ICS as a Happy Camper.

Only, only issue so far is stock browser will lag quite a bit sometimes...but only tested in Facebook though. :)

Update: Frank's guide worked for me
  • MrFrankRazr likes this
I (aka Mr. Chubbs aka Marty "The Wad" Chubbs aka Knot Mehreelname ) accept no liability for the content of this post. I basically made it all up as I was typing...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users