dscribe

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Twitter:dscrbnr
  • LocationCamden, AR
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx, Nexus 7

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:39 AM

I ran into this issue this morning. Had to do a reboot to get the phone app working. I have the MinFreeManager running to help deal with the RAM utilization problems until that gets solved but the phone hang still happened. Still loving this ROM, just "reporting in." Over all, I'm getting good performance and good battery life. I'm considering trying the JBX kernel but haven't made that jump yet.

Responding to myself on this one because the "contacts not responding" message has already come back up on my attempt to back out of the phone app again. Looks like this is becoming a real problem? 

#262 iamhugger

iamhugger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts
  • Locationsouth dakota
  • Current Device(s):droid razr

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:22 AM

I Never had issue you speak of yet.. Yes you above me...

#263 iamhugger

iamhugger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts
  • Locationsouth dakota

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:26 AM

But for some reason my FONT in root explorer is too big, just this app nothing else, "SEARCHING FOR SOLUTION" I uninstalled/reinstalled app, no change..

#264 dscribe

dscribe

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationCamden, AR

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:33 AM

I've got no problem with fonts in root explorer so far. Re: My phone/contacts app problem.... I booted into Safestrap recovery and did an advanced fix permissions.. will see how it goes.

#265 iamhugger

iamhugger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts
  • Locationsouth dakota

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:36 AM

I've got no problem with fonts in root explorer so far. Re: My phone/contacts app problem.... I booted into Safestrap recovery and did an advanced fix permissions.. will see how it goes.

Sometimes reflashing gApps does the trick!!

#266 dscribe

dscribe

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationCamden, AR

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:08 AM

Are you saying that fixed your font problem?

#267 iamhugger

iamhugger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts
  • Locationsouth dakota

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:43 AM

Are you saying that fixed your font problem?

i wish!! No.. I have had same issue as you on other ROMS, sometimes works and sometimes not.. Then i just flash ROM and gApps again..
  • dscribe likes this

#268 MyStro023

MyStro023

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Twitter:mystropro

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:58 AM

Responding to myself on this one because the "contacts not responding" message has already come back up on my attempt to back out of the phone app again. Looks like this is becoming a real problem? 

I've never had this issue on a single ROM.  Very strange.

I don't like the People app at all though, so I tend to use GoContacts / GoPhone still.  I wish there was a more modern replacement though.

• iamhugger likes this

#269 MyStro023

MyStro023

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Twitter:mystropro

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:44 AM

Hmmm - I'm still getting times when the System UI just crashes and I have to reboot -- it seems tied to Notifications for some reason.  Super annoying!

#270 mainegrw

mainegrw

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:20 PM

I followed the link posted by iamahugger to the XDA forum about it, then I downloaded the latest version (I think it was JBX hybrid 0.5x) along with the kernel restore tool just in case. I put them on myinternal SD, Booted into safe strap, wiped cache/dalvik (just to be safe) and flashed. When I rebooted everything was fine, seems a tad bit snappier than Kexec, no FCs or random crashes since... The jury is still out though.
Check out the link, and I strong advise you all read the information posted before flashing. There are important instructions for those who have done CPU tweeks.

Although the JBX Kernel was running smoothly on this ROM, I noticed a few issues that made me abandon it: On reboot there would be no cellular acquisition at all. I was able to get around this by toggling airplane mode on and off, however, and most importantly (at least to me) I could not get 4G LTE data at all, 3G only. As a result of my findings I decided to use the kernel restore tool to try to revert, but to no avail. I ended deleting the slot  and starting fresh, which I was going to do anyway. So in conclusion JBX works, sort of...

#271 iamhugger

iamhugger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts
  • Locationsouth dakota

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:30 PM

I followed the link posted by iamahugger to the XDA forum about it, then I downloaded the latest version (I think it was JBX hybrid 0.5x) along with the kernel restore tool just in case. I put them on myinternal SD, Booted into safe strap, wiped cache/dalvik (just to be safe) and flashed. When I rebooted everything was fine, seems a tad bit snappier than Kexec, no FCs or random crashes since... The jury is still out though.

Check out the link, and I strong advise you all read the information posted before flashing. There are important instructions for those who have done CPU tweeks.

Although the JBX Kernel was running smoothly on this ROM, I noticed a few issues that made me abandon it: On reboot there would be no cellular acquisition at all. I was able to get around this by toggling airplane mode on and off, however, and most importantly (at least to me) I could not get 4G LTE data at all, 3G only. As a result of my findings I decided to use the kernel restore tool to try to revert, but to no avail. I ended deleting the slot  and starting fresh, which I was going to do anyway. So in conclusion JBX works, sort of...

Hey, pretty sure dtrail1 stated in thread that kernelRestore.zip only works with BMM, NOT with safestrap..??

#272 iamhugger

iamhugger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts
  • Locationsouth dakota

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:39 PM

But for some reason my FONT in root explorer is too big, just this app nothing else, "SEARCHING FOR SOLUTION" I uninstalled/reinstalled app, no change..

Decided to flash PACman VO2, no more root explorer Font issues, just with this rom...(scratching head)

#273 sativaman

sativaman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:33 AM

I had the radio issue when using the jbx 0.5x kernel but then installed 0.5 and everything seems good.<br /><br />Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

#274 extirpate

extirpate

Just flash it..

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca
  • Current Device(s):Dr. Device

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:23 AM

#frustrated

I installed latest .5 jbx kernel. No boot first time. Wipe cache/delvik. Booted without service. Waited.. waited.. waited.. no service. Rebooted again. Service restored, then disappeared again. Decided to restore backup.. uhh wait.. backup restored in 0 seconds!?! &+#*%$-$+

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Posted Image

#275 dscribe

dscribe

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationCamden, AR

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:27 AM

Re: My phone/contacts app problem.... I booted into Safestrap recovery and did an advanced fix permissions.. will see how it goes.

Well, it has been nearly 24 hours since I did that fix permissions and the problem has not come back. The only reason I had not done that sooner is that I had done one for another problem since I installed the ROM and didn't really see how doing a fix permissions a second time was going to help...but apparently it has. Go figure. I'm glad I'm able to keep it because I really do like the overall fluidity of this baby.

Based on mixed result people are seeing with the JBX kernel, I think I'll wait on that.

#276 extirpate

extirpate

Just flash it..

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca
  • Current Device(s):Dr. Device

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:48 AM

#frustrated

I installed latest .5 jbx kernel. No boot first time. Wipe cache/delvik. Booted without service. Waited.. waited.. waited.. no service. Rebooted again. Service restored, then disappeared again. Decided to restore backup.. uhh wait.. backup restored in 0 seconds!?! &+#*%$-$+

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

When you guys do a backup in SS does it put it in a 000000000000000000 folder? That's what said restore done in 0 seconds. I went into root expl and moved the actual backup within that 0000000000000000 folder and was able to restore just fine. Whew. Big releif. I've done a backup before and don't remember it being created inside of a weird folder like that and generally it would open the folder then let me select the backup..

I'm going to give the jbx kernel one more try with a fresh ROM/gapps install and see how it performs.

-Flash now, ask questions later.
Posted Image

#277 iamhugger

iamhugger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts
  • Locationsouth dakota

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:25 AM

yup!! sometimes i have to move backup over a couple folders too.

#278 mainegrw

mainegrw

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:46 PM

I had the radio issue when using the jbx 0.5x kernel but then installed 0.5 and everything seems good.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

I'm definitely going to check out JBX 0.5... I really liked the performance of 0.5x but the lack of 4g was a deal breaker. I did end up deleting slot 1 and starting over from scratch, which has left me with a much more positive experience with a lack of crashing/force closing, but I still feel like generally there is a little bit of sluggishness to the default kernel. On another note, previous to installing the JBX 0.5x Kernel, I was having big issues with crashing, mostly surrounding Bluetooth streaming (which I do a lot) and apps like Amazon Mp3, slacker, and the phone app which would constantly crash while streaming and while attempting to make or answer phone calls over Bluetooth on my car stereo. This was accompanied by random force closes of different apps. Every time I fixed permissions it would get worse, and that was what promoted me to install the JBX Kernel.Also in attempting to solve the radio issue with JBX Kernel, I tried wiping cache/dalvik and also fixing permissions. This inevitably killed the ROM altogether.As far as the Kernel restore goes, it is entirely possible that I missed the part about being BBM only, as I did not take my own advicevand thoroughly read all of the instructions before flashing. But such is life: I flashed at my own risk, explored new possibilities/learned something new and successfully killed a bit of free time.
  • extirpate likes this

#279 fatmando2

fatmando2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:16 AM

If there was a way this could be back on slot two that'd be great!

#280 dxearner

dxearner

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:05 AM

Add one more with MMS issues.  Overall though, great rom.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users