jpcalhoun

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationCentral PA
  • Current Device(s):Galaxy S4 Dev Edition

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:16 PM

Hicks,

Listen to us. (At least the ones who have your back and believe you did nothing wrong!)

I've been in the game long enough to know that no good decisions are made when emotions are high. Just wait it out. Things will blow over. We all take risks. It is easy to accept risk with no understanding of consequence. When the consequence is unforseen, people try to justify it with anything other that the risk that was always present. Example:

Bungee jumping. Let's say there's a 1/100 chance that the cord breaks. That does not mean you have to jump 100 times to experience one break. It just means that for large numbers, let's say 100,000, you will experience approximately 1000 breaks, which will be randomly distributed. If you jump once and it fails, it does not mean the risk is 1/1. It just means that you experienced the 1/100 outcome on your first iteration.
No one with self-respect blames you. At the expense of sounding beggy, please stay. At least wait some time to think it over. I'm not embarrassed to say that a lot of us would miss you. This an open community. We all help each other out. Every now and then we get at each others throats, but overall we still appreciate and respect one another.

Don't leave over this. People will use their insurance, pay $99 to keep playing, and get a new phone and forget about it in a week.

Just take my advice. Wait it out. It'll blow over. I can't make your decision for you, but I can try to help. Before you do anything, get in touch with me. I'll pm you my phone number if you need it.

[ 43V3R IC3'd on .84 ]

+1. Hey solder, I spent 30 years wearing the same uniform that you have on. I know you have never, ever been told or taught to retreat just because things get a little tough...not in the Army I remember and not in the Army you're in today. You made a mistake maybe...so what. We all make mistakes. You've made an apology, men will accept it and the women and children will continue to cry about it. You need to stay...continue to contribute and we can all move on together.

#62 SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick

YOU WILL HAIL!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:27 PM

That's exactly it. Every single device our test team used was able to RSD back successfully. So they post that because as far as they can see it is true.

People make serious changes to their devices without so much as a second thought. I bet a ton of people didn't even read the entire post and just flashed it. My personal policy is I wait until at least a week after a new piece of software comes out before even considering adding it to my device. Why? Because common sense dictates that the developers (or leakers in this case) only have the ability to test it on a handful of devices (I'm still running Eclipse). And common sense once again should be that if you rush to install anything as soon as it comes out, before anyone has reported back, you are essentially a beta tester as well.

That is the reason the big red warnings are posted at the top of every thread; not for 'legal' protection, not because it's pretty, and not because it's what the cool kids are doing. It is posted because there is no possible way to know how every phone is going to react to anything.

Now, I fully understand that people are upset. But pointing loudly pointing fingers gets nothing done. Not only is there really no one to blame (everyone knows, or should know, that there are always risks to what we do here) but it's a massive waste of time.

I have no idea what has been happening to peoples phones, to be honest I haven't been kept in the loop on any part of this release, but it seems that you are not bricked; or hard bricked at least. That means that there will most likely be a fix in the near future. But not if all the developers are driven away by immature rants and prepubescent cuss-outs. I know for a fact that DDX plus all the other talented developers we have spent the last 24 hours running themselves ragged working on fixing your phones. Have a little more patience and you will all be back to ignoring red warnings soon enough ( :P ), that is if there isn't a fix posted already.
  • Aixelsyd, PillClinton, The Kid and 2 others like this

:-D :-D

#63 DarkOverDroid

DarkOverDroid

DROIDOSAPIEN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • Twitter:@DarkOverDroid
  • Google+:DarkOverDroid@gmail.com
  • LocationMobile, Al
  • Current Device(s):DROID RAZR MAXX HD, DROID RAZR MAXX, iPhone 4, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (WiFi) 7" Acer Iconia Tab A-100 (Wifi)

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:32 PM

That's exactly it. Every single device our test team used was able to RSD back successfully. So they post that because as far as they can see it is true.

People make serious changes to their devices without so much as a second thought. I bet a ton of people didn't even read the entire post and just flashed it. My personal policy is I wait until at least a week after a new piece of software comes out before even considering adding it to my device. Why? Because common sense dictates that the developers (or leakers in this case) only have the ability to test it on a handful of devices (I'm still running Eclipse). And common sense once again should be that if you rush to install anything as soon as it comes out, before anyone has reported back, you are essentially a beta tester as well.

That is the reason the big red warnings are posted at the top of every thread; not for 'legal' protection, not because it's pretty, and not because it's what the cool kids are doing. It is posted because there is no possible way to know how every phone is going to react to anything.

Now, I fully understand that people are upset. But pointing loudly pointing fingers gets nothing done. Not only is there really no one to blame (everyone knows, or should know, that there are always risks to what we do here) but it's a massive waste of time.

I have no idea what has been happening to peoples phones, to be honest I haven't been kept in the loop on any part of this release, but it seems that you are not bricked; or hard bricked at least. That means that there will most likely be a fix in the near future. But not if all the developers are driven away by immature rants and prepubescent cuss-outs. I know for a fact that DDX plus all the other talented developers we have spent the last 24 hours running themselves ragged working on fixing your phones. Have a little more patience and you will all be back to ignoring red warnings soon enough ( :P ), that is if there isn't a fix posted already.

+1, Well said. :)
Posted Image

#64 VantenKiest

VantenKiest

Guru of Insanity & Tech support

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh PA baby

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:42 PM

And just so everyone knows, this post isn't for sympathy, I just want all the finger pointing, name calling and threats to stop. I have nothing but respect for each and every Mod, Admin, Developer and themer here. I used to do this stuff myself so I know what you all go through. So on that note, DDX and Arcane I hope there are no hard feelings and I appreciate everything you guys do and everything you're doing to rectify the situation.

The main thing that drew me in to this community was the respect and I just hope you guys can move on and get back to that. See you guys on the flip side.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

HAHAHA YOU DONT RESPECT ME .. you tease me make fun of me and laugh at me all the time.. i dont care if i deserve it you still a jerk *cries in corner*
In my Ferocious convictions, and in-dominant belief in my own actions, it would be a great advantage to anyone's interest who lay with mine..... Vanten Kiest

#65 theonlycosmic

theonlycosmic

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:56 PM

HAHAHA YOU DONT RESPECT ME .. you tease me make fun of me and laugh at me all the time.. i dont care if i deserve it you still a jerk *cries in corner*

LOL
Current Phone: Motorola Droid Razr MAXX Stuck on .210 Running Black Widow ICS ROM (leak)

#66 vash_h

vash_h

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Google+:chiayx
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:34 PM

We now have one less developer here.. Sigh..

Why is ppl blaming him for bricked phone for installing customized items or leaked firmware?

I understand the risks.. And thus I remained stock. Rooted but stock.

If u guys don't want the risks, don't flash customs our leaked roms.

Sent from my XT910
Running Rooted Motorola Droid XT910 on 65.1.21.XT910.PSHAsiaRetail.en.03

#67 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:35 AM

We now have one less developer here.. Sigh..

Why is ppl blaming him for bricked phone for installing customized items or leaked firmware?

I understand the risks.. And thus I remained stock. Rooted but stock.

If u guys don't want the risks, don't flash customs our leaked roms.

Sent from my XT910

No worries. I'll still be around. It's all been squashed anyway so let's just move on and focus on the mission of getting this site back to how it was.

• Aixelsyd, snives, The Kid and 2 others like this

#68 leviwg

leviwg

News Writer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:30 AM

No worries. I'll still be around. It's all been squashed anyway so let's just move on and focus on the mission of getting this site back to how it was.

YEAH!!!!! I'm glad you are staying!!!!!!
a what? an android? whats that?

#69 jamminjon82

jamminjon82

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Twitter:@jamminjon82
  • LocationGloucester, VA
  • Current Device(s):LG G2, Moto X, Kindle Fire 2,Razr M, Nexus 7, Acer A100

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:59 AM

YEAH!!!!! I'm glad you are staying!!!!!!

+1

#70 Raw Dodge

Raw Dodge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:01 AM

In my opinion if hicks didn't say a word about it. Someone else would have and there would still be people with bricked phones and hate mail going to someone else. Just like what was said before. If you don't want to brick your phone don't play with it.

Agreed 100%.... don't flash unofficial software if you can handle a paperweight droid RAZR...

#71 TwoBuells

TwoBuells

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:10 AM

no biggie, I'm in control of my own phone/flashing.
Better to be a Racer for a moment, Than a Spectator for a lifetime.

#72 Guest_DirtyDroidX_*

Guest_DirtyDroidX_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:23 AM

I'm glad to see you stay hicks:)

When we first started DR I bricked 6 phones testing stuff and paid for every one out of pocket, because we had no fastboot files.

Plus ppl blame me anyways lol I'm the Antichrist around here if ppl point fingers at you just say its DDX'S fault. I'm used to it :P

#73 Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd

Freak on a Leash

• Administrator
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWindy City
  • Current Device(s):x13 Dev Ed & x14 Pure Ed & Droid Turbo

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:37 AM

I'm glad to see you stay hicks:)

When we first started DR I bricked 6 phones testing stuff and paid for every one out of pocket, because we had no fastboot files.

Plus ppl blame me anyways lol I'm the Antichrist around here if ppl point fingers at you just say its DDX'S fault. I'm used to it :P

+1 to that. Just glad to hear you are staying as well.

And fyi feel free to add me to the Antichrist list as well. I've got thick skin and am ready for a battle any day of the wk if need be. X wife will do that to ya so not to worry just pass blame towards us like DDX said.

#74 wrich73

wrich73

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Google+:wrich73

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:56 AM

Glad you are staying!
Your fix to hold vol - and power, when screen flashes hold vol +/- and power saved me 99 bucks after I did a /system wipe in CWR and tried to install the deodex version of .75 and rebooting (oops), coming from phones with unlocked bootloaders there is a learning curve. But hell, If you want to play, you may have to pay. People seem to forget that.

If .85 was released and .84 had never come out, and the next version didn't come out until the official OTA, how long would it have taken for everyone to figure out you can't fastboot back? You can't predict every variable, all the time.

And people, get the damn insurance. $99 bucks to see what would happen to a (bricked?) RAZR that was dropped into a 65,000 BTU Grill (accidentally of course) would be worth the deductible for entertainment value alone.

#75 TopherRZ

TopherRZ

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:23 AM

Just a thought... isn't it time to lock the thread? Topic is just about done and leaving it open can start trouble again.

Sent from my Windows 7 desktop.... and such.
*Only four iPh0n3s were hurt in the making of this post*

#76 ralphie0108

ralphie0108

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:25 AM

+1

#77 dimitri407

dimitri407

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Twitter:dimitri407

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:45 AM

How about we all forget the he said she said and just pray for someone to leak the fastboot files we need soon. I am on .84 and I am stuck like everyone else. but my phone is working and there is now a fix for those that soft bricked their phones. So forgive and forget. And let's move on.

#78 P3Droid

P3Droid

Android Legend/ Mentor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Twitter:P3Droid

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:28 AM

This thread is on the clock, please say what you need to. I will close this thread in 12 hours.
  • PillClinton likes this

#79 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:46 AM

This thread is on the clock, please say what you need to. I will close this thread in 12 hours.

P3, you can go ahead and close it out if you want. There's not much more that needs to be said here anyway. Thanks!

#80 wulf

wulf

Themer

• Superuser
  • 929 posts
  • Twitter:@Wulf_X1
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:05 AM

@spc_hicks09, glad to here your going to stick around.
  • leviwg likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users