Photo

Verizon Will End Unlimited Data Grandfathering If You Buy A 4G Phone From This Summer Onward

verizon 4g unlimited

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#101 dpratt23

dpratt23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:38 PM

Speak with your wallets? Sprint throttles, has WIMAX (slowly working towards LTE to make Apple happy) and is a fragile bureaucracy internally, bound to screw you at some point. All the rest have tiered data and AT&T is doing the same thing. There is nowhere to go.

+1 i had sprint for a work phone pfft id have had better luck with two cups tied together with a string. Never any reception and slow as fk when i did have some. It is crap

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#102 RazrSharpJoel

RazrSharpJoel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:57 PM

Metro PCS ...hello hello helloooo. Lol

Sent from ROOTED BOOT STRAPPED RAZR SHARP RAZR MAXX searching for a theme for stock 181

#103 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:05 PM

Straight Talk.

Sent from my DROID SPYDER using Tapatalk 2

#104 pacman377

pacman377

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:14 PM

I was with Sprint till I moved in the country, and I must say that I had some awesome service with Sprint, in town. However 10 miles out at my house you can hardly talk. Thus I went with Verizon. I really use unlimited as I tether for my home internet and tv. What can I say, its a lot cheaper than a land line, internet, and satalite service. Right now I'm halfway through my billing cycle, and sitting around 35 gig. Yes I do pay for my hotspot, simply because I do use it so much, but I still use tethering built into Eclipse. However, if they do find away to kill my grandfathered plan I will defiantly leave. One of my friends has straight talk and he has fairly good service out here. Hopefully I don't, but I may have to go that route.

#105 samcook2003@gmail.com

samcook2003@gmail.com

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:51 PM

Gee I hate to ask but if I renew my contract about 2 months ago would they take away my unlimited data plan.

#106 veldy

veldy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Twitter:minnbrewer
  • Google+:veldy71

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:45 PM

As read, they will not take away your unlimited data until you buy a subsidized phone or enter another contract.

Veldy

#107 samcook2003@gmail.com

samcook2003@gmail.com

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:58 PM

Thanks for the fast response

#108 got556

got556

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Twitter:@got556
  • LocationChicago

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:04 AM

Straight Talk.

Sent from my DROID SPYDER using Tapatalk 2

This. I used Straight Talk AT&T Sim card when I wanted to test out the International Note sometime back. I was getting H+ signal and speeds most of the time and even on 3G only it reminded me how slow VZW's 3G really is. Really wish VZW would have picked up the Note.
Posted Image

#109 JungleKing76

JungleKing76

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:16 PM

I admit i did not read all 11 pages so i may boot be the first to say this but potentially i am looking forward to the family share plan and i have no problem giving up my unlimited data.

Right now i pay $90 a month for data for three lines. My wife never goes over 1gb and my daughter uses like half that. So if the family plans come out with something like 6 gb for $70, that works for me. Knocks $20 off my bill, and i am good with about 4gb of use on my phone.

Of course, it just depends in the pricing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk

#110 Oaklands

Oaklands

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 05:02 PM

The problem I have with this is they have pushed to get people to go with data plan type phones. Now they want to limit you.

I doubt I use 4Gb per month, but I don't want to be charged if I have a month when I go over. If they went with some kind of rollover like AT&T did with their voice minutes, I would be a bit happier about this.

I am on the road a bit and since we have had to cut back on employees, we are down to my partner and me. If a customer needs dial in support, I can pull off the road, hook up my lapdock and login to a customer's computer. I don't use my phone to download a lot of information, but I do use Titanium to backup to dropbox. This adds up.

They are making a fortune in profits but want to make more. I guess if we all went back go basic phones they would change, but that is not going to happen.

#111 shizumie

shizumie

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Google+:shizumie@gmail.com
  • LocationHortens, Ga
  • Current Device(s):DNA

Posted 20 May 2012 - 05:11 PM

I admit i did not read all 11 pages so i may boot be the first to say this but potentially i am looking forward to the family share plan and i have no problem giving up my unlimited data.

Right now i pay $90 a month for data for three lines. My wife never goes over 1gb and my daughter uses like half that. So if the family plans come out with something like 6 gb for $70, that works for me. Knocks $20 off my bill, and i am good with about 4gb of use on my phone.

Of course, it just depends in the pricing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk

i think the shared data is a good thing, a great thing. But that doesent mean take away our unlimited. No one in my plan comes close to 4 gb a month but i do i need unlimited. I would prob pull mine to a single plan and let them get share. 5 lines at 30 a month ia hanus.
But still i want/ my unlimited.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Posted Image

#112 wulf

wulf

Themer

• Superuser
  • 929 posts
  • Twitter:@Wulf_X1
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 20 May 2012 - 05:15 PM

i think the shared data is a good thing, a great thing. But that doesent mean take away our unlimited. No one in my plan comes close to 4 gb a month but i do i need unlimited. I would prob pull mine to a single plan and let them get share. 5 lines at 30 a month ia hanus.
But still i want/ my unlimited.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

I also need unlimited too, lol. This around 2 week mark.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

32.36KB   25 downloads

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

#113 samcook2003@gmail.com

samcook2003@gmail.com

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 05:32 PM

By by unlimited plan drove my chevy to the levy but levy was dry lol this blows.

#114 samcook2003@gmail.com

samcook2003@gmail.com

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 06:14 PM

Damn phone bye bye was what I was singing lol

#115 got556

got556

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:18 AM

I also need unlimited too, lol. This around 2 week mark.

32.36KB   25 downloads

Rookie....

Top number (312) is chicky snack's number and bottom number (217) is mine. Both of us have grandfathered unlimited lines, I pay for the mobile hotspot and have been a VZW customer for close to 15 years....if they want to take my unlimited after all that then I guess when they do I will start having a cheaper bill with another company. $230 a month is what I pay....and that's w/ the federal govt employee discount. :(

Posted Image
Posted Image

#116 wulf

wulf

Themer

• Superuser
  • 929 posts
  • Twitter:@Wulf_X1
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:47 AM

Rookie....

Top number (312) is chicky snack's number and bottom number (217) is mine. Both of us have grandfathered unlimited lines, I pay for the mobile hotspot and have been a VZW customer for close to 15 years....if they want to take my unlimited after all that then I guess when they do I will start having a cheaper bill with another company. $230 a month is what I pay....and that's w/ the federal govt employee discount.

Posted Image

Show off! Lol. :)

Mine is just normal use, steaming music, web browsing and Netflix. Still, what they might offer would not be enough for what use. On my other line its close to what I use so unless its a plan that has at least 15 gigs for same price or cheaper unlimited is best option until its gone for good, lol

#117 got556

got556

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:25 AM

lol ya when I use my tabs while tethering from my phone while at the hospital supervising inmates is when the data starts going up. American carriers have us by the balls...sadly. :(
Posted Image

#118 GroulZer

GroulZer

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:13 PM

Well this entire thread (yes, read every post) makes me very glad that I just upgraded the X to the Razr Maxx a week and a half ago. :D

So obviously I have the unlimited data, and both phones on my account are 4G phones with unlimited data, but I only use ~2-3GB per month, so I likely wouldn't have to be too worried about paying for a tiered-data plan. But it would still make me very bitter toward Verizon if they force me off my unlimited data plans (which I certainly believe will happen, of course).

#119 stupidchicken03

stupidchicken03

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationIn the Sac of CA

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:39 AM

Ive been with Vz for about 8 years now. I was grandfathered in to the Unlim data and i got my wife to leave Sprint 5 months ago and she got the 4GB for $30.

I think the shared data is an awesome idea FOR SOME. It will reduce the bill of those that do not use that much data, but they should allow those who wish to pay slightly more to keep the umlimited.

Its crazy that Vz is coming out with their own streaming media (music/videos) and everyone is jumping on the "cloud storage" wagon.. all of which requires data. Wifi is not convenient for everyone (i dont have wifi at work).

My wife uses 2-3 GB every month, and on an average month I use roughly 30GB without wifi tether. I stream pandor/Gmusic hours every day, i watch a lot of netflix (and hdmi to my tv at home), and I get torrents. There is no way I could last with a limited sharded plan.

Depending on the plan size/price, this honestly might be something that would push me away from Vz. :(

#120 karlo2012

karlo2012

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:06 AM

I'm on Verizon & I recently upgraded from a 3g phone to a 4lte razr maxx. The rep told me I would keep my unlimited data package so I'm glad I upgraded before all this takes place. I mainly use tethering for when I play my xbox 360 away from home & there's no other relaible connection around. So unlimited data comes in handy there. even so, I rarely go over 4gigs of data usage with gaming so I should be fine down the road when they totally get rid of unlimited data..well I would think employees would be able to keep it but who knows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users