Photo

Soak OTA's 9.18.79/9.20.1 Directly Correlated to "MR2/MR4" or 9.16.6 - 9.16.9 [Discussion/Brain-Storming]

The Solution?

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#81 dinger4u

dinger4u

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:04 PM

Ok I've rooted but how do I know if I have a working SU. I've run motchopper is all.

#82 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,461 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:09 PM

Search for root checker in the play store.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Non potest esse nisi unus

#83 dinger4u

dinger4u

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:17 PM

It says no and when I click on the SU app it gives me "SU says superuser binary must be updated.. choose install" and it has recovery install and install and cancel as options

#84 DeJaVu74

DeJaVu74

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Current Device(s):Moto Xoom(wifi), Droid Razr HD

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:35 PM

It says no and when I click on the SU app it gives me "SU says superuser binary must be updated.. choose install" and it has recovery install and install and cancel as options

Look for su fixer in playstore, install and run it should work to fix binaries that don't want to update on su.

End of Line.

#85 dinger4u

dinger4u

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:45 PM

Got it had to run motochopper a second time and root took then. Thanks for all the help. I know I'm a noob with moto devices. I have been rooting and flashing with the HTC TB so I wasn't completely noob just that moto is different.

#86 DeJaVu74

DeJaVu74

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Current Device(s):Moto Xoom(wifi), Droid Razr HD

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:30 PM

Agreed, I miss my Gnex for its ease of hacking, I don't miss the battery life though...

End of Line.

#87 BytecodeMe

BytecodeMe

Private Pile

• Superuser
  • 2,004 posts
  • Twitter:@BytecodeMe
  • LocationSan Diego, California
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 4, Droid Razr Maxx HD

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:44 PM

Why don't we get this thread back on topic... This thread isn't a QA. It's discussion on people are getting different OTAs... Not a mod, just bugging me is all.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• shane1 likes this

byte3plusrainbowsmallllllllller.png

#88 BytecodeMe

BytecodeMe

Private Pile

• Superuser
  • 2,004 posts
  • Twitter:@BytecodeMe
  • LocationSan Diego, California
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 4, Droid Razr Maxx HD

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:50 PM

I'm no expert on this and haven't read much on it.

But my first thought is maybe there is some divergent hardware. They had to stop shipping phones with some part and replaced it with another. Like the microphone let's say. They'd have to create divergent kernel drivers and compile with support for both in config.

This could become complicated... I recently tried to port a new thermal monitoring driver to the msm8960 kernel and if any of the drivers shared a function name it would error out. Simplified but you get the point.

Possibly the answer? How far fetched does that sound?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

byte3plusrainbowsmallllllllller.png

#89 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,461 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:17 AM

The answer is nothing more than one update is for mr2 and the other is for mr4. That's it.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• DeJaVu74 likes this

#90 megahertz1970

megahertz1970

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Google+:markw4itg@gmail.com
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:35 AM

OK so my questions are.... Is it worth it to flash back to stock to take the update? If I flash the DST version backup back onto my phone do I keep the benefits? Or will it rewrite everything?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4 Beta

#91 dskog57

dskog57

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Current Device(s):Razr HD -Acer A-500- Kindle HD

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:56 PM

Well, yes, there's a lot you should know.  That's why Kaos said to do some reading and research.  You can't be on this update to do the unlock. You must be on a previous update as this update patches the bootloader unlock exploit.  You must be rooted in order to run the unlock successfully.  Once you do unlock, forget about voodoo and exploits and any other nonsense.  Learn to install root with custom recovery and then after any updates you take, you can reinstall recovery and flash root.  Done.  But there's a lot of caveats and things you need to know.  There are threads here that you should find and read on these topics.

I Thank You. I have been reading as much as Possible on the unlocking. I Just want to make sure I know what I am getting by unlocking

#92 Pzyduck

Pzyduck

Firmware Team

• Superuser
  • 45 posts
  • Twitter:Pzyduck
  • LocationLa Rioja - Argentina

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:18 PM

New Firmware Available by Firmware Team

sbfdownload.droid-developers.org/vanquish/VRZ_XT926_9.8.1Q-79-1_CFC.xml.zip

• SamuriHL, KaChow and shane1 like this

Firmware Team: Kent_lkc - Kwachu - daywalker04 - Pzyduck - Skrilax_CZ - toto221

#93 LunaticSerenade

LunaticSerenade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR MAXX HD

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:21 AM

New Firmware Available by Firmware Team

sbfdownload.droid-developers.org/vanquish/VRZ_XT926_9.8.1Q-79-1_CFC.xml.zip

Is this just the radios, etc? Or is this the full ROM?

Sent from my CM 10.1 XT926

----------------------
Current:
Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX HD || Carbon || 
----------------------
Previous: 
HTC Rezound || CyanogenMod 10.1 || Funky Kernel ||
HTC Droid Incredible || CyanogenMod 10.1 ||
----------------------
Let's go out west and bask/in the overcast/standing in the rain/we'll see the beauty in life again
-Darkest Hour

#94 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:10 AM

Is this just the radios, etc? Or is this the full ROM?

Sent from my CM 10.1 XT926

it is just the update components.

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#95 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:23 AM

What is a GOOD tool to UNLOCK this Bootloader? Thanks again

LMAO. There's only ONE tool to unlock the bootloader. Motoapocalypse.

That's half true. There are two ways to unlock. The easy way, and the very easy way.

The easy way is to use the motopocapalypse tool, plug phone in, unzip it and run it.
The very easy way is to grab the app that Mattlgroff made, install it on your phone and hit "unlock". Boom, you're done. Link below to app

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#96 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,461 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:33 AM

That's half true. There are two ways to unlock. The easy way, and the very easy way.

The easy way is to use the motopocapalypse tool, plug phone in, unzip it and run it.
The very easy way is to grab the app that Mattlgroff made, install it on your phone and hit "unlock". Boom, you're done. Link below to app

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Matt's tool, with all respect here, is still using motoapocalypse under the covers.  He got approval from Dan to include it.  :)  So what I said from a technical standpoint is true...there is only one method to unlock....even if another util incorporates the method.  Hell, I used my House of RAZR_HD to unlock mine, but, it's again just calling motoapocalypse for me.

• shane1 likes this

#97 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:35 AM

Matt's tool, with all respect here, is still using motoapocalypse under the covers. He got approval from Dan to include it. :) So what I said from a technical standpoint is true...there is only one method to unlock....even if another util incorporates the method. Hell, I used my House of RAZR_HD to unlock mine, but, it's again just calling motoapocalypse for me.

I was kidding. My only point is that that app isn't posted anywhere, I don't know if matt ever wanted a thread or anything on it. But I share it with people because it's really the easiest way to run motopocapalypse.
  • SamuriHL likes this

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!

#98 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,461 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:41 AM

I was kidding. My only point is that that app isn't posted anywhere, I don't know if matt ever wanted a thread or anything on it. But I share it with people because it's really the easiest way to run motopocapalypse.

Fair enough.  Sorry I missed the fact that you were joking.  :)  Some people would take that quite literally and right now with motochopper and motoapocalypse out of commission with this OTA might lead to some confusion.  Maybe. You know the whole..."Well Matt can find a new unlock for us!"  :D

#99 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:48 AM

Fair enough. Sorry I missed the fact that you were joking. :) Some people would take that quite literally and right now with motochopper and motoapocalypse out of commission with this OTA might lead to some confusion. Maybe. You know the whole..."Well Matt can find a new unlock for us!" :D

I have a pretty strong feeling that this OTA marks the beginning of the end for Motorola/Vzw development.

Unless moto gets a set, or vzw backs off... I doubt we'll see any newer phones rooted, unlocked and not see any further unlocking /rooting to the HD / M.

Obviously if there was more than one person on the planet capable and trying to perform these roots and unlocks, it wouldn't look slow glum. But sadly, as far back as I can remember.... There's really only one guy who does(did) it, and we know how that's ended.
  • exsquid likes this

#100 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,461 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:55 AM

I have a pretty strong feeling that this OTA marks the beginning of the end for Motorola/Vzw development.

Unless moto gets a set, or vzw backs off... I doubt we'll see any newer phones rooted, unlocked and not see any further unlocking /rooting to the HD / M.

Obviously if there was more than one person on the planet capable and trying to perform these roots and unlocks, it wouldn't look slow glum. But sadly, as far back as I can remember.... There's really only one guy who does(did) it, and we know how that's ended.

Hence why I'm jumping ship.  Dan himself said "start buying unlocked devices if you care about root".  Now you see why.  He's said that as he finds and publishes these exploits and they get patched, it just makes it harder and harder each time.  Diminishing returns.  I also see the writing on the wall for VZW devices (not just Moto...Samsung VZW devices are not having a happy time right now since Loki just got shot in the head by their latest OTA).  Tough times now and impossible times ahead.  WE need to take control back.  If we want root, if we want custom roms, we have to be willing to put up the cash to buy an unlocked phone.  Even if it's a cheaper Nexus.  That also gives us control back over our contracts.  I'm not going to be locked in on AT&T...instead going monthly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users