• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#121 bigben

bigben

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 02:41 AM

Your struggles sound like mine. I know how relieved you feel. I've been jacking around with smartphones for 7-8 years. I forgot a principle I should have easily remembered. BE CAREFUL, back up everything, know how to get back to original state before you tinker. I haven't felt any smarter after getting back on the OTA path, rather I felt kinda silly for the required struggle to get back.

Glad it worked out.

#122 Natethefriednlyitguy

Natethefriednlyitguy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Google+:Commando1257

Posted 23 December 2011 - 02:45 AM

Natethe.... Did you change it to R/W?

yes I did

#123 Natethefriednlyitguy

Natethefriednlyitguy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 02:45 AM

@
Natethefriednlyitguy

I used this file to replace the current /preinstall directory

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Glad my /preinstall folder helped you!

THANKS!!!

#124 Natethefriednlyitguy

Natethefriednlyitguy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 02:46 AM

Your struggles sound like mine. I know how relieved you feel. I've been jacking around with smartphones for 7-8 years. I forgot a principle I should have easily remembered. BE CAREFUL, back up everything, know how to get back to original state before you tinker. I haven't felt any smarter after getting back on the OTA path, rather I felt kinda silly for the required struggle to get back.

Glad it worked out.

Couldnt agree more!

#125 Wetdream

Wetdream

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 05:40 AM

hi - i recieved noticed and downloaded the new update.

i realize that if i update i will have to re root. i tried to install anyways and it said 'install failed' after it went thru all the cycles..

a) any ideas why? do i have to unroot my phone, than try it?
B) any other forums that explain this or could help me?

i wanna do the OTA updates and keep my root.

thanks all
happy new years
J

#126 dewar

dewar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 05:48 AM

so i uninstalled safestrap, installed CWR, wiped data/cache/dalvik, applied .784 update which failed cuz i needed the preinstall files. went to market to go dl root explorer and nothing downloads. market doesnt even update, its the old market look. cant dl anything from market. any ideas why?

same thing happened to me as far as the old market look. You can download the new market from this link:

#127 DroidRazrAZ

DroidRazrAZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Twitter:konellaz
  • Google+:konellaz@gmail.com
  • LocationPDX 2 PHX

Posted 23 December 2011 - 06:38 AM

DroidRzr.com has many of the same topics in several post's.
We are moving them around to consolidate.

This will improve the chances of our members getting the prompt and accurate assistance they deserve.
Our members are number one and we will continue to provide you with the best Droid Razr experience possible :)
  • thefuzz likes this

#128 brando21

brando21

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 07:12 AM

I had a problem with the ota. Alway failed the update. I ended up uninstalling safestrap downloading the preinstall files and following the posts to a T. Still failed the ota. So i went back in and moved the md5 and the know your device files from dl and copied them to original preinstalled file. Ota works seamlessly and now updated with root.

#129 thefuzz

thefuzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 23 December 2011 - 07:34 AM

It seems so many people are having so many different problems because we are in different states of root prior to attempting to install the update. I will post my path and how I met with success, not sure it will help as I don't know how many people had a similar state when they started, but here goes:
  • I was on safestrap with a non-stock deodexed ROM on my unsafe side. I booted back into my unsafe ROM and uninstalled safestrap via the app itself. Then I confirmed I could not get the update as even though the ROM is stock, I had modded the wi-fi icon and others, so the VZW could not see my phone as stock and would not push the update.
  • I reinstalled RazrBootstrap.apk, booted into recovery, wiped data/cache and installed this fully stock ROM found here:

• Once on this ROM, I was able to get the update pushed to my phone as normal. So, I installed forever root found here:

• Then, I installed the preinstall file found here:

I know there is ton of confusion on this part. Here is what I did: I unzipped the files to /preinstall/knowyourdevice and placed them in the folder. I believe that this is where the issue is coming from for many. If you create the folder, /preinstall/knowyourdevice then unzip the download, it will create another set of the same folders within the directory /preinstall/knowyourdevice. So, you end up with, /preinstall/knowyourdevice/preinstall/knowyourdevice. The files are unzipped there which I believe is not corret. The file must be unzipped first, then the files placed manually in the path, /preinstall/knowyourdevice. If you do this, they seem to stick.
  • Then I installed the update as normal, letting the phone do it for me. It worked fine.
  • Phone rebooted and the update had been applied.
  • Now, here is where I had my issue. Superuser was still installed on my phone, but I was not rooted! So, for some unknown reason, forever root did not work for me. I could not manually delete, nor could I delete superuser via /settings/applications/manage applications. I was stuck without root.
  • I tried to re-root using Doomlord's original one-click and it got all the way throug, rebooted then said, failed due to file superuser already exists.
  • I tried a full factory reset via the factory recovery menu, it did reset all the way back to stock with the update still in tact, but superuser was still there and I was still not rooted.
  • So, I went here:

and used V3 of the one-click root, and it worked!!! I am fully rooted, on stock ROM with the update fully installed.

I hope this helps someone, I am by no means a Dev but try and understand how stuff works, so if I can be of assistance, I will be happy to help
  • mesaloose likes this

#130 mesaloose

mesaloose

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:57 AM

Thanks to everyone and theFuzz for his great list. Here is what worked for me:

• Uninstalled safestrap via the app itself.
  • Installed RazrBootstrap.apk, booted into recovery, wiped data/cache and installed Razr-stockRooted.zip
  • Booted, logged into my account on the phone, downloaded and installed update and rebooted.
  • After successful reboot, received notice that update applied correctly. Superuser was still installed on my phone but didn't run, so I used zergRush V3 to root.
  • Installed RazrBootstrap.apk, installed recovery, booted into recovery and took a backup.
All is right with the world and the angels sing glad Hosannas! Thank you everyone!

#131 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 05:24 PM

Finally, finally was able to update my phone. For all those getting an error for herp derping like I did and removing bloat (not freezing) on your original rom... Here is what I did.

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#132 rickfox

rickfox

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 08:14 AM

ok, i got the pre-root stock installed. i copied the preinstall folder to the root folder where it is (deleted the original and pasted the new one). i still get the cant update because it cant find the preinstall folder files. basically everytime i reboot ie everytime the phone turns off and on whether i just reboot normally or go into moto recovery, the preinstall folder contents disappear. how can i get the preinstall files to stick?

I am having this same issue. In root explorer, move the appropriate files, restart phone, files disappear. Is this a safe strap issue?

Thanks

#133 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 08:21 AM

I am having this same issue. In root explorer, move the appropriate files, restart phone, files disappear. Is this a safe strap issue?

Thanks

If you have mount R/W on and copy the files to the preinstall (after wiping the old preinstall) it should work as long as you didn't uninstall any bloatware from your original rom. And even if you did, you can add them back to /system/apps/ using a pre-root stock apps folder. If you have errors past this post the exact error message

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

#134 rickfox

rickfox

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 08:33 AM

Yep it still isn't working...getting pretty fed up at this point with even trying to do the update. I have been trying for days getting the same error with the files not existing.

#135 jackslater

jackslater

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 01:22 PM

Sitting in the same boat. OTA not working because of previously uninstalled (and later copy/pasted back) bloatware...

I checked my /cache/recovery/last_log file, it ends with:

/system/app/statuswidget.apk doesnt have any of expected sha1 sums;
checking cache, failed to stat /cache/saved.file No such file or directory

so its failing because of statuswidget.apk. This one I had deleted and copy/pasted back from a pre-root system dump.
The app this apk belongs to (social networking) is working fine, but the OTA seems to have a problem with it.
Are there other files that get removed/tampered with when you uninstall bloatware? Is it maybe a permissions issue?

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to Android, I don't know what "expected sha1 sums" means and I don't have any "saved.file" file in my /cache.
Any ideas what this means?

#136 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 01:27 PM

Sitting in the same boat. OTA not working because of previously uninstalled (and later copy/pasted back) bloatware...

I checked my /cache/recovery/last_log file, it ends with:

/system/app/statuswidget.apk doesnt have any of expected sha1 sums;
checking cache, failed to stat /cache/saved.file No such file or directory

so its failing because of statuswidget.apk. This one I had deleted and copy/pasted back from a pre-root system dump.
The app this apk belongs to (social networking) is working fine, but the OTA seems to have a problem with it.
Are there other files that get removed/tampered with when you uninstall bloatware? Is it maybe a permissions issue?

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to Android, I don't know what "expected sha1 sums" means and I don't have any "saved.file" file in my /cache.
Any ideas what this means?

Did you copy only the .apk or the .odex file too? You need both

#137 jackslater

jackslater

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 03:22 PM

Did you copy only the .apk or the .odex file too? You need both

both. the app itself is working but OTA fails because of it :(

#138 jackslater

jackslater

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 04:05 PM

both. the app itself is working but OTA fails because of it :(

There we go!
I finally got it to work!
I checked the permissions for all the re-loaded bloatware and saw that statuswidget.ODEX (the one I copy/pasted back from a pre-root system dump) had permissions rw- rw- rw- but every other ODEX file had rw- r-- r-- so I changed permissions for statuswidget.odex to rw- r-- r--. Since my error message talked about sha1 I also calculated sha1 and md5 checksums for both statuswidget files and the update finally worked!

Now this might have been coincidence/not sure if permissions or check sum calculation fixed it - so this is exactly what I did after my latest failed attempt:

-Update from sdcard failed so I rebooted.
-re-rooted with voodoo OTA rootkeeper
-went into ES File Explorer and checked files in /system/apps:
-compared permissions of restored bloatware with existing apk and odex files, saw the difference
-changed permission of restored bloatware to match other files (rw- r-- r--)
-checked check sum for restored bloatware and it said N/A for md5 and sha1
-calculated check sums for md5 and sha1 (ES File Explorer responed with "checksum saved as statuswidget.odex.checksum")
-unrooted with voodoo
-rebooted into recovery mode
-ran update from sdcard-ext

and this time it worked like a charm :)

From now on I will freeze and not delete my bloatware - lesson learned!

Hope this helps some of you....

P.S. I had all my preinstall files intact (never deleted any of them)
  • mattlgroff likes this

#139 kb3awq

kb3awq

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Twitter:kb3awq
  • Google+:kb3awq
  • LocationWilliamsport, PA

Posted 24 December 2011 - 07:55 PM

Mine is currently in a boot loop state after trying to flash the update last night. I originally was getting the maps.odex missing which pasted that in there and then currently when I go into stock recovery I get the guided tours oh but wait that changed now.

Now I get the E:error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip status 7 and assert failed: mount ("ext3", "MTD", "system", "/system")

Either the case still bootlooping. I went to Verizon today and they of course were lost so ordered me another which they said 5 days but 2 days if I had insurance. How retarded to ship it to my house and waste 5 days instead of just giving a new phone and having them just ship them a new one to the store to replace the one they gave me.and ship my old one back. Always the complex way!
John * Rooted Droid 1 and Droid RAZR Owner * KB3AWQ.com * W3AHS.com * Electronics Geek

#140 jonhern

jonhern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 12:01 PM

This is so annoying. The only things I uninstalled were the ones that were allowed in app manager. And I uninstalled them before I even rooted. I froze all the other apps I did not want and even drefrosted them after the first fail. Still can't update. Uninstalled ICS theme and deleted the boot animation, still can't do it. And I don't know what the problem is because I don't get any error messages, the android guy shows up with a package, then the package turns into a triangle with an exclamation point, and then it reboots and says update unsuccessful once the phone is booted. No other error messages. I uninstalled bootstrap as well, never used safe strap. Do I have to put those games back on like madden to make this work?

Is anyone making a falshable zip of this? This was the case with the evo for each update, don't understand why we have to do all this just to update.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users