150 replies to this topic

#81 blaquejohn

blaquejohn

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:40 PM

Update still failed with the KnowYourDevice folder in place KnowYourDevice/Motorola_XT912_BatterySave.3gp

Operator error preinstall folder worked great watching the OTA update right now
Carved from my droid razr

#82 Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd

Freak on a Leash

• Administrator
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWindy City
  • Current Device(s):x13 Dev Ed & x14 Pure Ed & Droid Turbo

Posted 21 December 2011 - 05:37 PM

Okay so, I should:

1: uninstall safestrap recover
2: remove root via voodoo OTA RootKeeper
3: Replace Preinstall folder with one posted in OP
4: boot into Moto Recovery
5: Flash Stock rooted .Zip
6: Flash OTA .Zip
7: Restore root

If you want to keep root access after flashing the OTA update DO NOT remove root, and make sure you have forever root done prior to installing the OTA

#83 Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd

Freak on a Leash

• Administrator
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWindy City
  • Current Device(s):x13 Dev Ed & x14 Pure Ed & Droid Turbo

Posted 21 December 2011 - 05:39 PM

Hey Nitro, I just wanted to confirm that the pre-root system is flashed in stock recovery & not CWM? Also, 1 other question for you. Since I never used safe strap, it appears all files are in tact in the preinstall folder. The preinstall files in your OP are ONLY for those using safestrap who had issues, correct?

his pre-root system needs to be flashed in CWM fyi. Also flash his forever root *.zip via CWM prior to flashing the OTA update if y ouwnt to keep root access after flashing the OTA update. And yes OTA must be flashed in stock Moto recovery NOT in CWM.

#84 tshow84

tshow84

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 06:02 PM

You cannot take the ota correctly using safestrap. When you use safestrap and you have it enabled the system you are running is on the preinstall partition.

so if i understand this correctly, i need to install the odex stock rom in cwm, not safestrap and then follow the steps in the OP? thanks again!

#85 bigben

bigben

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 06:04 PM

I didn't use Forever Root, I was a bit put off on changing much after the update struggle. So I used the Voodoo OTA. Wow - slick!!

#86 tshow84

tshow84

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:09 PM

ok, i got the pre-root stock installed. i copied the preinstall folder to the root folder where it is (deleted the original and pasted the new one). i still get the cant update because it cant find the preinstall folder files. basically everytime i reboot ie everytime the phone turns off and on whether i just reboot normally or go into moto recovery, the preinstall folder contents disappear. how can i get the preinstall files to stick?
  • rickfox likes this

#87 PillClinton

PillClinton

#FireGaryBettman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Twitter:530SharksFan
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:18 PM

his pre-root system needs to be flashed in CWM fyi. Also flash his forever root *.zip via CWM prior to flashing the OTA update if y ouwnt to keep root access after flashing the OTA update. And yes OTA must be flashed in stock Moto recovery NOT in CWM.

In the past, whenever I've flashed ROMS via CWM, I've always followed DT's guidelines:

1.) WIPE DATA/FACTORY RESET
2.) WIPE CACHE
3.) UNDER MOUNTS AND STORAGE, FORMAT SYSTEM
4.) UNDER ADVANCED, WIPE DALVIK

To install Nitro's pre-root stock rom, is any of this necessary? Or, do I just flash directly with no wiping &/or formatting? With no FXZ available, I just want to make sure all my bases are covered - there's no room for error. Sorry if I am paranoid!

#88 nix80908

nix80908

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Twitter:nix80908
  • LocationDenver, CO - USA

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:09 AM

You know, I really don't know - I did it anyway, and was purely successful.
the only issue was the App Market had a hiccup - but it worked itself out

#89 PillClinton

PillClinton

#FireGaryBettman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Twitter:530SharksFan
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:13 AM

I couldn't wait for an answer - it has been a long $#!+ty day to this point & my curiosity got the best of me! In order to successfully upgrade to .748, here is what I did:

Wiped data, wiped cache, wiped dalvik. Installed Nitro's stock rom. Then flashed the forever root zip (in the same session). Applied the OTA update zip via

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

link. Restored root via Voodoo Root Keeper app. And now, we're good to go!

Attached Files

#90 nix80908

nix80908

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Twitter:nix80908
  • LocationDenver, CO - USA

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:55 AM

I couldn't wait for an answer - it has been a long $#!+ty day to this point & my curiosity got the best of me! In order to successfully upgrade to .748, here is what I did:

Wiped data, wiped cache, wiped dalvik. Installed Nitro's stock rom. Then flashed the forever root zip (in the same session). Applied the OTA update zip via

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

link. Restored root via Voodoo Root Keeper app. And now, we're good to go!

Yup - pretty much the same thing I did. I'm convinced that's the only 100% method. Haven't heard anyone failing it lol

#91 lewi3069

lewi3069

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Google+:lewi3069

Posted 22 December 2011 - 07:33 AM

Please check my updated OP to see if this works for you.. it has for others. Thank you :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

OK now its working I formatted (except for pds and webtop, have to verify that was it.) about everything I could from CWR then flashed root forever and booted. Restarted into stock recovery and ran the patch. It works now...

#92 tshow84

tshow84

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:16 AM

someone please tell me why my preinstall folder keeps deleleting its contents!!!!

#93 jcutter347

jcutter347

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Twitter:@jcutter347
  • LocationSnook Alley, Florida

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:43 AM

Are we supposed to place the zipped files in this folder or do we extract the contents? I can't get the OTA to work. I didn't remove any bloat or anything else. I was running droid th3ory's rom, which I installed via safestrap. So, after reading, I see that this could be the problem. Thanks

#94 Natethefriednlyitguy

Natethefriednlyitguy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Google+:Commando1257

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:43 AM

For some reason my /preinstall wouldn't delete when i told it to delete... the contents went away, however it was still there.... is that considered normal?

#95 NorCalGuy

NorCalGuy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:03 AM

Any reason why the OTA won't install on my phone? Rooted stock system, all stock apps are present & I unfroze everything that was frozen. Tried 4 times now using the update that was pushed to my phone & it keeps failing? I didn't change a thing other than the boot animation & different battery icon. Would that cause it to fail?

Edit: Currently restoring a nandroid from before I froze or changed anything. Once done I'll attempt to take the OTA. We'll see how that goes.

I had a similar issue at first but it was because I had not removed safe strap completely so i would get the white triangle and a reboot. I also rebooted and reinstalled my recovery did my nandroid got back disabled safe strap then uninstall ed it then temp uprooted and accepted and downloaded the update work perfect then even rebooted right after. Use oat rootkeeper in the market for one click unroot and re root.

#96 Rockingout92

Rockingout92

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Twitter:@ZacharyMikel
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:12 PM

so if i'm hearing everybody correctly: we need to uninstall safestrap, and install CWM. THEN we need to boot into cwm, wipe, install the prerooted ota, install the forever root, reboot, and then take the new ota.

What if it doesn't boot :(

#97 bigben

bigben

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:41 PM

Natethe.... Did you change it to R/W?

#98 droidfan87

droidfan87

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:44 PM

i also found that as soon as I deleted the folder navigated to sd-ext, copied the new one, and navigated back that the phone made a new but empty preinstall folder. i deleted it and then pasted mine in and was fine. i figure it is like the lost. dr folder, the os just replaces it if it disappears. i had no problem taking the ota after this.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

#99 bigben

bigben

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:00 PM

Glad it helped. ;)

#100 branshaw09

branshaw09

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Twitter:branshaw09

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:07 PM

So this is ok to do even though my preinstall has a lot more files than the preinstall.zip? They aren't exactly the same just I just wanted to make sure that replacing the entire preinstall file wont mess aything up. 576mb vs 412.

My problem seems to ly in system/apps/settings.apk. Should this fix my problem or do I need to replace the system app folder?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users