Chuckuss

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationCali

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:44 PM

Hi all,
So I finally broke down and bought a smartphone in April this year..I love technology but I didn't want to take the plunge.Mostly it was because of privacy issues(that do in fact still bother me,but thats a whole nother topic).

I have ics 4.0.4 which just updated on its own a couple weeks back.So here is what I'm looking at....I very much dislike bloat ware and servises or applications that run on their own.I want to dictate to my phone what works,when it works and so on,not the other way around like it currently is set up.It is because of the aformentioned items that I started building my own computers years ago.It seems like with phones its more of a software/firmware issue.

Simple is good...clean is good I like to play with my phone but I want to get rid of all the unecessary crap that uses up resources and battery.

I been looing at this site and a few others and it seems like the thing to do is root the phone.Here is the problem...looks like there are several different ways to do this and they all claim to be the best.I also note thaton every site that discusses it seems like an awful lot of bricking going on.Now I realize alotof that could and probably is operator failure,that is why I am making this post becuase I don't want to go thru all the operator failure just to get my phone working a little better,lol aand what i been noticing is alot of procedural differnces on how to get this done.

I saw a few one touch methods and a few other methods to do it.Here is where I get confused....because all the methods are slightly different and each one has a different teacher that maybe left a step out or talked about it after the fact.I am hopinh someone can point me to a link that will give me all the downloads and a list of procedures to follow .and maybe why I should pick one way over anothor way to do it.

Thanks to all who read and or give opinons and advice.....here are my specs

system version 6.16.211xt 912
model # DROID RAZR
Android version 4.0.4
webtop version 3.0.0
kernal version 3.0.8-g29cf5e7
build6.7.2-180_DHD-16_M4-31

One last thing...I am not too concerned about the latest and greatest beta type stuff,when I use my phone and apps I want something that actually works that doesn't require a bunch of tinkering with everytime I use it.Solid and reliable thats the way for me.
Thanks again
Chuck

#2 Droid2drummer

Droid2drummer

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Twitter:@imanotemaker
  • Google+:robertclarkga@gmail.com
  • LocationWarner Robins GA

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:54 PM

Hi all,
So I finally broke down and bought a smartphone in April this year..I love technology but I didn't want to take the plunge.Mostly it was because of privacy issues(that do in fact still bother me,but thats a whole nother topic).

I have ics 4.0.4 which just updated on its own a couple weeks back.So here is what I'm looking at....I very much dislike bloat ware and servises or applications that run on their own.I want to dictate to my phone what works,when it works and so on,not the other way around like it currently is set up.It is because of the aformentioned items that I started building my own computers years ago.It seems like with phones its more of a software/firmware issue.

Simple is good...clean is good I like to play with my phone but I want to get rid of all the unecessary crap that uses up resources and battery.

I been looing at this site and a few others and it seems like the thing to do is root the phone.Here is the problem...looks like there are several different ways to do this and they all claim to be the best.I also note thaton every site that discusses it seems like an awful lot of bricking going on.Now I realize alotof that could and probably is operator failure,that is why I am making this post becuase I don't want to go thru all the operator failure just to get my phone working a little better,lol aand what i been noticing is alot of procedural differnces on how to get this done.

I saw a few one touch methods and a few other methods to do it.Here is where I get confused....because all the methods are slightly different and each one has a different teacher that maybe left a step out or talked about it after the fact.I am hopinh someone can point me to a link that will give me all the downloads and a list of procedures to follow .and maybe why I should pick one way over anothor way to do it.

Thanks to all who read and or give opinons and advice.....here are my specs

system version 6.16.211xt 912
model # DROID RAZR
Android version 4.0.4
webtop version 3.0.0
kernal version 3.0.8-g29cf5e7
build6.7.2-180_DHD-16_M4-31

One last thing...I am not too concerned about the latest and greatest beta type stuff,when I use my phone and apps I want something that actually works that doesn't require a bunch of tinkering with everytime I use it.Solid and reliable thats the way for me.
Thanks again
Chuck

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

[Windows]-For-Verizon-Droid-Razr/maxx-Only!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#3 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:02 PM

+1 Matt's droid razr utility 1.81 is with no doubt the most noob (no offense) friendly. It's a one stop shop for rooting. Just get on a windows PC. Download his file, unzip and run the batch file. He has a root option (follow instructions) on there and you'll be all set.

Pretty soon you'll be safestrapped and flashing new ROMs in no time.
After you're rooted, purchase Titanium backup from the play store. It's a must have app for rooted devices that will allow you to back up all your apps and data, as well as easily freeze all that annoying bloatware.

Feel free to PM me anytime, or check into chat, there's alway someone who knows what they're doing.

Enjoy

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#4 Chuckuss

Chuckuss

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationCali

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:03 PM

Thanks for the input....I went to the link last night to download and it said more than 12 hours lol.I set it up to dl before bed and i got up to a download interupted message.I set it again before going to work and i just arrived home to the same message,hopefully 3rd time is a charm.I know I have slow connecton here in the boonies but usually don't get my downloads dropped.

Thanks again for info

Chuck

#5 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:20 PM

Thanks for the input....I went to the link last night to download and it said more than 12 hours lol.I set it up to dl before bed and i got up to a download interupted message.I set it again before going to work and i just arrived home to the same message,hopefully 3rd time is a charm.I know I have slow connecton here in the boonies but usually don't get my downloads dropped.

Thanks again for info

Chuck

Send a private message to xlightwaverx, he is the member on here who maintains that crack flashers website which hosts the razr utility that you're trying to DL he might be able to help you further.

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#6 Chuckuss

Chuckuss

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationCali

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:40 PM

Oaklands is hosting from another link,further down the page....his 94kbps is much better than the 12kbps from crackflashers.

Does this zip file include the necessary software for my pc to communicate with the phone?I use the usb to charge but the pc doesn't see my phone.

Thanks

#7 Chuckuss

Chuckuss

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationCali

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:28 AM

Got the software downloaded and installed however...unable to go any further because pc doesn't see my phone.I spent a bit of time in chat where people tried to help me but because we could never get to the appropriate usb menu,it was suggested to me to redownload the the link.

I don't beleive the pc or software is the problem as everything comes up and shows installed.This didn't make any difference doing a re install.

in system settings my phone is set tousb debugging in developer options....I cannot find any other areas or settings that mention usb.Chat room folks said I should be getting a pull down menu when I plug the phone in,but I do not.It show s the phone as charging but thats it.I tried several other usb ports and no changes.

I can open the batman dos window it says its running it says at the bottm to hit any key to continue,when I do this the dos window closes.I am able to access failsafe batch files with pc and I have installed the drivers for motorola 5.9.0 64 bit as I am running vista 64 ultimate.

I'm not sure how to proceed...

Thanks

#8 portscan

portscan

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Twitter:@JasonCollins23
  • LocationClarksville, TN
  • Current Device(s):Samsung Galaxy S4- Stock Rooted on 4.3/Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1- Redemption Rom v6.1

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:00 AM

Did you install the moto drivers that come with Matt's utility?
Posted Image

#9 Chuckuss

Chuckuss

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationCali

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:13 AM

I sure did,

#10 Chuckuss

Chuckuss

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationCali

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:48 AM

bump

#11 Nnnnr12

Nnnnr12

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Google+:hairstont14
  • LocationLagrange, Ga

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:55 AM

Wipe data on your phone.

Sent from my .215 leak razr on ikream rom do you wanna get cut?

DroidRazr Maxx HD safestrapping!!

#12 Nitewolf

Nitewolf

Member of the BEST android community

• Superuser
  • 643 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:25 PM

Some also suggest trying a different USB port. Hopefully you have a USB 2.0 port. Also, and this may sound obvious, you did EXTRACT the entire folders contents and not just the .bat file? It's a mistake which some have made not to extract the entire folder... or even to have not extracted it at all thinking it will run from the zip file.
Posted Image

#13 Chuckuss

Chuckuss

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationCali

Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:20 PM

Thanks,I think that I have extracted correctly,I have all extracted files in a seperate folder from the zip file.In the seperate folder when I click it it has 2 folders at the top
Drivers
Failsafe batchfiles
adb
and it continues If I click on the top drivers it installs motorola end user drivers,If I open failsafe file it gives me fast boot restore ics root 2 different kernals voodoo ota rootkeeper
and a small read me file.
To me it looks as if the software is installed,however my pc is still unable to see or communicate with my phone.In fact I have never been able to transfer files from pc to phone since I got it.

Thanks

#14 jimgfitzgerald

jimgfitzgerald

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:33 PM

Reboot your computer.

#15 Nitewolf

Nitewolf

Member of the BEST android community

• Superuser
  • 643 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:09 AM

Are you using the correct USB cable?
Posted Image

#16 Chuckuss

Chuckuss

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationCali

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:02 PM

You sir are the winner it was a cable issue..

#17 Einsteindks

Einsteindks

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:12 PM

Hmm, I was gonna chime in with a debugging check....or not set in proper fastboot mode, or USB community option.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: root, noob.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users