Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • Twitter:TMYINC
  • LocationPA
  • Current Device(s):Razr M, GN2, Nexus 10

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

Also make sure USB debugging is on and try switching to PTP mode instead of MTP.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

#202 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:05 AM

I realize this thread has been dead for a while, but I'm trying to figure this out. I've downloaded and extracted the zip. I'm running Ubuntu 12.10 btw. I am totally in MTP mode, I've rebooted several times, both phone and computer. when I execute the .sh file, it gives me the options 1-7, Since I need root first , I'm trying to run it first... but adb devices never shows any devices listed. I'm about to pull my hair out. I need help please. I have switched cables, ports, even computers, and no matter what adb doesn't see my device.....

Have you tried using the updated utility 1.82 found here

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

[Linux/mac]---For-Verizon-Droid-Razr-And-Droid-Razr-Maxx-Only ... you may have better luck with it as everything is updated ....

sent from my JB RAZR ... tapadriving

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#203 ufkal

ufkal

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Current Device(s):Razr Max, Nexus

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

Boot phone into fastboot mode & plug phone into computer & make sure adb drivers install. Dumb moto.

Sent from Droid Razr using whatever I want moto. :P

I have forgotten about booting into fast mode. I shall have to try that one...

Sometimes if adb doesn't recognize your device a factory data reset will do the trick. If you go that route just make sure to backup apps and such.

I'm afraid that is what I'm going to have to do, and its my wife's phone. she get cranky about loosing stuff. No root yet, so no decent backups....especially of all her angry birds stuff :)

Also make sure USB debugging is on and try switching to PTP mode instead of MTP.

I have spent an hour toggling debugging on and off trying to make it stick, and switching between MTP and PTP..... If this wasn't my wife's phone, I'd throw it against a wall. LOL

[Linux/mac]---For-Verizon-Droid-Razr-And-Droid-Razr-Maxx-Only ... you may have better luck with it as everything is updated ....

Yes sir, I have tried that, I have tried just about everything, including 3 different operating systems (Win 8, Win 7 and Ubuntu), my other phones are seen by adb with no problem so I know its not the system.....

Many thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I am booking marking here so I can keep coming back and asking stupid questions. I'm certain I will have more. I'll let you guys know if I get this resolved. Thanks!!

#204 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

I have forgotten about booting into fast mode. I shall have to try that one...
I'm afraid that is what I'm going to have to do, and its my wife's phone. she get cranky about loosing stuff. No root yet, so no decent backups....especially of all her angry birds stuff :)
I have spent an hour toggling debugging on and off trying to make it stick, and switching between MTP and PTP..... If this wasn't my wife's phone, I'd throw it against a wall. LOL
Yes sir, I have tried that, I have tried just about everything, including 3 different operating systems (Win 8, Win 7 and Ubuntu), my other phones are seen by adb with no problem so I know its not the system.....

Many thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I am booking marking here so I can keep coming back and asking stupid questions. I'm certain I will have more. I'll let you guys know if I get this resolved. Thanks!!

Are you just trying to root?

jhf.png

#205 ufkal

ufkal

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

Are you just trying to root?

Yes sir, just trying to root, so I can do backups, the usual stuff. the phone just isn't being seen by adb, therefore all the apps, sit on waiting for device and never go anywhere.....

#206 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

Yes sir, just trying to root, so I can do backups, the usual stuff. the phone just isn't being seen by adb, therefore all the apps, sit on waiting for device and never go anywhere.....

If you are wanting to back up just apps... you can use titanium backup..... it sounds like you have tried virtually everything except fast booting back to stock.... then root then restore apps.....

jhf.png

#207 ufkal

ufkal

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

If you are wanting to back up just apps... you can use titanium backup..... it sounds like you have tried virtually everything except fast booting back to stock.... then root then restore apps.....

Did Titanium back up change? I was always under the impression it needed root to back up the apps and data. Hell if it does it now with out root, even better!

#208 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

Did Titanium back up change? I was always under the impression it needed root to back up the apps and data. Hell if it does it now with out root, even better!

I thought there was a version for non root.... I think I was wrong lol .... I just checked the play store

jhf.png

#209 ufkal

ufkal

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:22 AM

I thought there was a version for non root.... I think I was wrong lol .... I just checked the play store

I did find an application on XDA that will backup apps and data with out root....but it requires ADB......so that won't work.... LOL, I'll just have to convince wife to let me wipe her phone back to factory settings and go from there.
Thanks again for helping out.

#210 stealthmouse

stealthmouse

Utility Pro

• Superuser
  • 244 posts
  • Google+:https://plus.google.com/u/0/104359749772570760296
  • LocationSolana Beach, CA (i.e., San Diego)

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

You could also try adb over wifi (just search adb in play store). The issue could be a bad connector on your phone, or bad firmware for the storage settings, and you might bypass those issues using adb over wifi.
If you PM me here, I'll get it eventually, but I'm constantly on the move. If you need to reach me more quickly, email me at stealthmouse@gmail.com and add DroidRZR PERSONAL MESSAGE to subject line. Thanks!

#211 ufkal

ufkal

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

You could also try adb over wifi (just search adb in play store). The issue could be a bad connector on your phone, or bad firmware for the storage settings, and you might bypass those issues using adb over wifi.

Dude, that's brilliant!!
Do you think it would work with the root program?

ahhh except it requires rooted phones.... LOL

Edited by ufkal, 04 January 2013 - 11:29 AM.

#212 stealthmouse

stealthmouse

Utility Pro

• Superuser
  • 244 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

I realize this thread has been dead for a while, but I'm trying to figure this out. I've downloaded and extracted the zip. I'm running Ubuntu 12.10 btw. I am totally in MTP mode, I've rebooted several times, both phone and computer. when I execute the .sh file, it gives me the options 1-7, Since I need root first , I'm trying to run it first... but adb devices never shows any devices listed. I'm about to pull my hair out. I need help please. I have switched cables, ports, even computers, and no matter what adb doesn't see my device.....

There's an app in play store called My Backup, that doesn't require root - there's a pro version as well, not sure what the differences are, but it has a high user rating. You can also backup using google's servers in system settings.
  • ufkal likes this
If you PM me here, I'll get it eventually, but I'm constantly on the move. If you need to reach me more quickly, email me at stealthmouse@gmail.com and add DroidRZR PERSONAL MESSAGE to subject line. Thanks!

#213 stealthmouse

stealthmouse

Utility Pro

• Superuser
  • 244 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

Dude, that's brilliant!!

It should, it functions exactly the same, just no cable.

#214 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

I never remember adb over WiFi..... maybe I'll have to actually start using it so I can remember to suggest it LOL

• ufkal likes this

jhf.png

#215 stealthmouse

stealthmouse

Utility Pro

• Superuser
  • 244 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

Dude, that's brilliant!!

ahhh except it requires rooted phones.... LOL

Oops. I didn't even realize that! lol :)

#216 ufkal

ufkal

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

Oops. I didn't even realize that! lol :)

No worries, I have used all those in the past, but all my other phones etc have been rooted and with a much more significant ease that this razr. I try to be more careful with data on wifey's phone. she gets cranky when I break her stuff. :)

#217 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

Edit: Found the "need root" at the bottom...blah

#218 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

Nevermind lol

• ufkal likes this

#219 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

I guess at this point... you could make a backup in stock recovery... and also make a copy of internal and external sdcards .... then fastboot back to stock.... then root.... then you should be able to restore what you need from your backups.... (Google server, nandroid, and sdcard(s) )

jhf.png

#220 ufkal

ufkal

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

I guess at this point... you could make a backup in stock recovery... and also make a copy of internal and external sdcards .... then fastboot back to stock.... then root.... then you should be able to restore what you need from your backups.... (Google server, nandroid, and sdcard(s) )

Ok, just so I'm clear on this process....
Assuming that I've backed up my SD cards and acknowledge that I will loose save data,
1. Boot into Fastboot (up/down volume +power.... down volume to select reset [or whatever its called] Let phone reset to factory
a.? How is this different from wiping everything from the privacy settings? Just curious,
2. Using

[Linux/mac]---For-Verizon-Droid-Razr-And-Droid-Razr-Maxx-Only (either windows or linux, depending on which machine I grab)
a. Install the drivers included either 32 or 64 bit.... which SHOULD install the ADB drivers
3. Plug phone in and hope that it doesn't say installing devices, because then its not using the drivers I already installed right?
4. Run the Utility 1.82
5. Profit [or have a phone that just won't root at all] and if rooted add a bootstrap...

Does this sound right? I've not messed with Razr much. So I'm guessing on a lot of this.

Thanks again y'all for helping out. When this gets rooted, I will be able to make it the device it deserves to be!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: utility, mac, linux, 1.8, 1.81, ICS stock restore

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users