235 replies to this topic

#61 tsmith1234

tsmith1234

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:48 AM

OP updated with alternative download links and a quick note on Safestrap. Any issues please let me know. Also, if you observe significant differences in download speed, aborted downloads, or corrupted files (i.e., MD5 checksum doesn't match), I'd like to know that as well. I'm more concerned with "fails" than with the times it works, but if you get a smoking fast download, feel free to post as well.

Hey Stealthmouse ive tried downloading this about 3 or 4 times now and the alternates. the alternate downloaded pretty quick compared to the original but they both download ok just neither of them will open through either the terminal or stuffit expander. I have tried both starting with stuffit. let me know what you think the issue could be.

#62 stealthmouse

stealthmouse

Utility Pro

• Superuser
  • 244 posts
  • Google+:https://plus.google.com/u/0/104359749772570760296
  • LocationSolana Beach, CA (i.e., San Diego)

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:10 AM

Hey Stealthmouse ive tried downloading this about 3 or 4 times now and the alternates. the alternate downloaded pretty quick compared to the original but they both download ok just neither of them will open through either the terminal or stuffit expander. I have tried both starting with stuffit. let me know what you think the issue could be.

Hmmm....d-h is really slow right now, only getting about 100k/s, but dropbox appears to be fine. About 15 mins to download full utility on dropbox, 3-4 hours on d-h right now (normally it's only 20-40 mins). Just checked it on my device and speeds are similar. D-H is slow sometimes depending on the traffic. I also probably need to restart my computer ;)
If you PM me here, I'll get it eventually, but I'm constantly on the move. If you need to reach me more quickly, email me at stealthmouse@gmail.com and add DroidRZR PERSONAL MESSAGE to subject line. Thanks!

#63 tsmith1234

tsmith1234

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:34 AM

Finally got the file downloaded correctly and the phone is hooked up to the computer. I have typed into the terminal probably 100 times as many different ways i can think of. I have copied the file name right from the get info screen /Users/username/Desktop/LinuxMacUtility1-81 (subbed in username for my actual username just in here not on the terminal) but all i get is that the file or directory can not be found. I have been working on this for an hour and a half.

#64 stealthmouse

stealthmouse

Utility Pro

• Superuser
  • 244 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:40 PM

Finally got the file downloaded correctly and the phone is hooked up to the computer. I have typed into the terminal probably 100 times as many different ways i can think of. I have copied the file name right from the get info screen /Users/username/Desktop/LinuxMacUtility1-81 (subbed in username for my actual username just in here not on the terminal) but all i get is that the file or directory can not be found. I have been working on this for an hour and a half.

You need to start the string from after username, sorry if not clear, I'm so used to it that directions were probably not clear enough. So it would be:

cd ~/Desktop/LinuxMacUtility1-81

Let me know if that works.

Sent from my DROID SPYDER using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2
If you PM me here, I'll get it eventually, but I'm constantly on the move. If you need to reach me more quickly, email me at stealthmouse@gmail.com and add DroidRZR PERSONAL MESSAGE to subject line. Thanks!

#65 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:20 PM

1. Obeygiant is too modest about killer linux/ubuntu skills, and always is quick to respond.

2. Did we just find a new ubuntu tester?

3. My only other thought is that menu 1 uses the big img files, which is why we use moto-fastboot rather than the SDK fastboot. I could see the 32x having a problem with it. But then the 64x had a problem with all the "smaller" ones. So I think you're back to a difference between those distros. Even if we don't know why (yet), it's still valuable info for the next time and for anyone else who encounters that problem. Glad it worked!

same result(s) as canezilla on Ubuntu 11.10 x64..... option 1 worked great (after not once but twice, getting up out of my seat and knocking the phone off the table, unplugging the usb)..... while getting the same errors on the others " ./files/adb.linux no such file or directory........ I will be trying to find a work around/solution and will post my findings...... i'm kinda lazy and its just too much trouble to use x64 for part of it then x32 for the rest of it....:-)

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#66 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:28 AM

Hmm. Have you tried running as sudo? Ive used the Utility only on Ubuntu 64bit, so Im sure the syntax is correct, maybe it is just a permissions error? Also, are you executing the script from the terminal, or double clicking the .sh file and then selecting "run in terminal"? Once you are able to get the menu open, if you have trouble running the fastboot options, you may have to delete the fastboot.linux file and rename the 32bit fastboot file to fastboot.linux. I will be at work and away from any Linux boxes this weekend, so I may not be very much help until I can get home. On Monday, I will set up another computer with KXStudio 32 bit and play around with that. I dont think there should be any differences. Ive ran Ubuntu Studio before without any notable operating differences from other Ubuntu distros.

Also, yes. Stealth has people, and I am they! I officially have my notifications on, so I can be a little quicker at responding to PM's and thread updates. Sorry about that, Stealth!

renaming the file worked great for me on Ubuntu 12.04 ...... after poking around for several hours..... overlooked the simple solution......thanks great work guys....:-)
  • stealthmouse likes this

jhf.png

#67 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:21 PM

]ok here's what i have come up with...... my results may differ from someone elses but if I can help at least one person, I've done my good deed for the day :).... I tested the Linux/Mac version with ubuntu 11.10 and 12.04 32 bit..... with option 1,6, and 7 i was getting an error [./files/fastboot.linux: 3 ./files/fastboot.linux: Syntax error "(" unexpected] ...... after hours of poking around, trying several different edits to the program lines, i looked at obeygiant's post (on page 3 here:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

) and changed the file name of "fastboot.linux" to "fastboot.linux.bak" (instead of deleting it) then changed the file name of "fastboot-linux-i386" to "fastboot.linux"..... all 7 options of the utility worked flawlesslyafter that...... also, for the people that use virtualization to run windows, i have tested the utility(windows version) on both xp, and windows 7 ulitmate (using virtualbox for both), result--- all 7 options FLAWLESS!!! although using virtualbox made it a much slower process (for obvious reasons, virtulization is usually slower by nature)....... BIG THANKS TO OBEYGIANT, who indirectly reminded me that i should always try the simple, obvious methods first!!! ...... also during this testing, i found that the razr may be even stronger than we all realize :) thru the trial and error process, i flashed, restored, rooted, restored, flashed, etc probably 50 times and managed to softbrick twice.... the RAZR has stood the test and is working great!!!

forgot to mention that LinuxMacUtility1-81.sh works well by double clicking and selecting "run in terminal" AND by opening a terminal to manually enter the commands.....(ive had issues with some programs, they "like" one way and not the other)

(copied from my post in the windows version forum)..... its late and i didnt really feel like typing it all over again :))

jhf.png

#68 stealthmouse

stealthmouse

Utility Pro

• Superuser
  • 244 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:57 PM

Big props for the input. We will have to play with the fastboot files so it's more failsafe, it's been an issue, especially for mac/linux reading. I've tried splitting files, but it's still been hit or miss.

Sorry for limited response. Was in the hinterlands and comp is being worked on right now.

You are right on another front. RAZR may be most indestructible phone out there. I have used it like I drive my car (not gently), and it doesn't make a peep,just keeps cruising...

• mattlgroff likes this

#69 obeygiant

obeygiant

Utility Pro

• Superuser
  • 79 posts
  • Twitter:obey22giant
  • Google+:https://plus.google.com/109248393171126077439/about

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:03 PM

Yay, I got something right! And then I remember, even a broken watch is right twice a day!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  • mattlgroff and johnthehillbilly like this

#70 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:10 PM

Yay, I got something right! And then I remember, even a broken watch is right twice a day!

.....:-) somehow I get the feeling that you are right more than twice a day....:-)

jhf.png

#71 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:43 PM

@obeygiant ...... thank you again for reminding me to "keep it simple"....... seems like the easiest answers are the most elusive :-)

jhf.png

#72 obeygiant

obeygiant

Utility Pro

• Superuser
  • 79 posts
  • Twitter:obey22giant
  • Google+:https://plus.google.com/109248393171126077439/about

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:04 AM

@obeygiant ...... thank you again for reminding me to "keep it simple"....... seems like the easiest answers are the most elusive :-)

No problem! I may see if I can incorporate "asking" if it's 32 it 64 bit in the script and automagically changing the file name. Uname -m, don't fail me now!

• mattlgroff likes this

#73 stealthmouse

stealthmouse

Utility Pro

• Superuser
  • 244 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:20 AM

John,

Should we have a separate set of individual menu item files, aka "failsafe" version, as there are with windows version, especially given your observations about terminal finickyness?

#74 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:30 AM

John,

Should we have a separate set of individual menu item files, aka "failsafe" version, as there are with windows version, especially given your observations about terminal finickyness?

yes I think we should..... and the commands could "point" to the proper file instead of having to go in and change filenames etc..... as that could prove to be confusing to less experienced people..... It could also be included in the read me, as an option to change the file names with redundant instructions on which files and how to do it....
  • stealthmouse likes this

jhf.png

#75 stealthmouse

stealthmouse

Utility Pro

• Superuser
  • 244 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:41 AM

All good ideas. Will start incorporating in the next utility...
  • mattlgroff likes this

#76 thrasher194

thrasher194

http://androidn00b.com/

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Google+:Thrasher194@gmail.com
  • LocationNorthCarolina, USA
  • Current Device(s):Motorola G4 Play (xt1609)

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:36 PM

i got it work in ubuntu 12.04, only thing it didn't do was factory wipe and clear cache.. did it manual to get to load.
  • johnthehillbilly likes this

#77 thrasher194

thrasher194

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:51 PM

SAFESTRAP WON'T INSTALL RECOVERY: Open Superuser and run it so that it becomes active to allow/deny root permissions. From Playstore, download Busybox by Stephen Erickson (it should be the first entry that appears), install it, then run with the default settings, and allow any root permissions requests. Now open Safestrap, allow root permissions when it asks, then click Install Recovery. The status should update to Recovery Installed.

it worked!!! thanks!!!

#78 stealthmouse

stealthmouse

Utility Pro

• Superuser
  • 244 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:00 PM

SAFESTRAP WON'T INSTALL RECOVERY: Open Superuser and run it so that it becomes active to allow/deny root permissions. From Playstore, download Busybox by Stephen Erickson (it should be the first entry that appears), install it, then run with the default settings, and allow any root permissions requests. Now open Safestrap, allow root permissions when it asks, then click Install Recovery. The status should update to Recovery Installed.

it worked!!! thanks!!!

NP

#79 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:22 AM

i got it work in ubuntu 12.04, only thing it didn't do was factory wipe and clear cache.. did it manual to get to load.

glad it worked! :) 64bit or 32 bit? Just curious if it worked straight up or if you had to do any tweaking or file name chances, etc etc.....

jhf.png

#80 thrasher194

thrasher194

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:28 PM

64Bit! i just open the script in xterm and ran... didn't edit nothing.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: utility, mac, linux, 1.8, 1.81, ICS stock restore

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users