235 replies to this topic

#81 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:09 PM

64Bit! i just open the script in xterm and ran... didn't edit nothing.

ok cool :) when i was testing..... in 32 bit, the options that use "fastboot" (1, 6, and 7) were not working (without the filename changes that i mentioned in earlier post) but they were working in 64bit..... but thats the greatest thing about linux..... if it dont work right or you dont like the way it works...... change it, one way or the other, until it works :)

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#82 obeygiant

obeygiant

Utility Pro

• Superuser
  • 79 posts
  • Twitter:obey22giant
  • Google+:https://plus.google.com/109248393171126077439/about

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:31 PM

ok cool :) when i was testing..... in 32 bit, the options that use "fastboot" (1, 6, and 7) were not working (without the filename changes that i mentioned in earlier post) but they were working in 64bit..... but thats the greatest thing about linux..... if it dont work right or you dont like the way it works...... change it, one way or the other, until it works :)

SUCCESS!! maybe. I think......I think I have it worked out in the script now so that the Utility automagically reads your system, as to whether it is 64 bit or 32 bit. Hopefully we can get this worked out so it is more universal, without some having to change filenames while others dont. I learned alot about Mac in the past few days while working on this. I have ran all the scenarios I could on the hardware I have with me. I have booted into my gf's Mac under default 32 bit, and again by selecting "6" and "4" at boot to use the 64 bit kernel setup. I thought that was very cool of Mac to include that! I even booted a 32 bit live CD of Ubuntu, and a 64 bit live CD of Ubuntu on the Mac, all with success at reading the architecture of the kernel and changing the filenames needed for that particular setup. When you open the script, the very top line should tell you whether your su\ystem has been read as Mac or Linix. 32-bit or 64-bit, or if there was an error. Im at work now so I just need to get home, download the latest version of the Utility from Stealth, make the changes in the script, and get them back to him so he can host the new file. I believe I may post just the script handler for those of you that do not want to download the entire file again. In that case, just delete your old Utility.sh and replace with the new file. I should be able to have this to Stealth tonight so I can get some more universal testing. Thanks everyone for being patient while I learned all this information!!
  • stealthmouse and johnthehillbilly like this

#83 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:39 PM

AWESOME....!!! As soon as you get it up, i will dl it and put thru its paces..... :-)

jhf.png

#84 obeygiant

obeygiant

Utility Pro

• Superuser
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:13 PM

Alright, here we go! No more selecting and deleting and renaming files for 32 bit and 64 bit machines. This should be much more universal. It seems to be working well for all Linux variants. I updated the Linux fastboot files, but I would really appreciate some more Mac testing. I also added an option 8 to the menu. Its just a command to reboot from the bootloader back into the bootloader, to test and make sure the fastboot commands are working. At least that way, you shouldnt have to wipe your system just to see if the Utility works. I have this in my UbuntuOne Cloud, but it would be great if Stealth could download and host it. Here you go guys, tear it up and test the hell out of it..

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

• johnthehillbilly likes this

#85 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:21 PM

Cool deal... dl ing now....... will work on it tonight/tomorrow (if need be)..... will post what happens good or bad....

by the way obeygiant, i love the filename "...utility1-81 and a half...." :) ... gives it more character! :)

Edited by johnthehillbilly, 22 September 2012 - 08:33 PM.

jhf.png

#86 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:37 PM

ok.... testing right now (1st test)....so far. it is detecting my 32bit system perfectly (i cant test 64bit until i get home)... ran option 8 ran perfectly.... ran right thru all steps on option 1 except webtop "FAILED (remote: too much data to fit into memory) ".... continued on to finish.... rebooted fine (wiped cache, and user data) .... on to option 2... ran fine without a hitch...... sucessfull root!..... the phone seems to be running VERY VERY slow at this point im curious if it is because webtop failed?...... more to come

the really strange thing is, even tho it seems to be running slow, AnTuTu and Quadrant standard just returned the highest benchmark scores to date for this phone ... (6488 and 3110 respectively)..... curious...

Edited by johnthehillbilly, 22 September 2012 - 10:55 PM.

jhf.png

#87 obeygiant

obeygiant

Utility Pro

• Superuser
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:03 AM

ok.... testing right now (1st test)....so far. it is detecting my 32bit system perfectly (i cant test 64bit until i get home)... ran option 8 ran perfectly.... ran right thru all steps on option 1 except webtop "FAILED (remote: too much data to fit into memory) ".... continued on to finish.... rebooted fine (wiped cache, and user data) .... on to option 2... ran fine without a hitch...... sucessfull root!..... the phone seems to be running VERY VERY slow at this point im curious if it is because webtop failed?...... more to come

the really strange thing is, even tho it seems to be running slow, AnTuTu and Quadrant standard just returned the highest benchmark scores to date for this phone ... (6488 and 3110 respectively)..... curious...

I'm glad you said that. I thought I noticed some lag too, but right after I flashed and rooted, I restored from a backup and it went away.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

#88 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:34 AM

I'm glad you said that. I thought I noticed some lag too, but right after I flashed and rooted, I restored from a backup and it went away.

i rebooted twice before running the benchmark tests.... maybe that was enough to "cure" the lag..... maybe it was still building cache etc right after flash and root.... whatever the cause, it goes away quickly ...but IMO, its a small price to pay for knowing that the utility seems to work flawlessly on essentially ALL platforms thus far..... maybe after further testing, it can be noted in the read me that some lagginess may appear after flashing and to give it time (and reboot) and it will go away....... my only concern right now is where webtop failed although it didnt seem to effect it.....

Edited by johnthehillbilly, 23 September 2012 - 08:37 AM.

jhf.png

#89 obeygiant

obeygiant

Utility Pro

• Superuser
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:30 PM

i rebooted twice before running the benchmark tests.... maybe that was enough to "cure" the lag..... maybe it was still building cache etc right after flash and root.... whatever the cause, it goes away quickly ...but IMO, its a small price to pay for knowing that the utility seems to work flawlessly on essentially ALL platforms thus far..... maybe after further testing, it can be noted in the read me that some lagginess may appear after flashing and to give it time (and reboot) and it will go away....... my only concern right now is where webtop failed although it didnt seem to effect it.....

I noticed the webtop error also, but I wrote it off as a RAM error because of the old computer I was using. But I restored my wdbtop from a previous Nandroid and all was well. I'm glad we seem to have gotten past the 32 bit and 64 bit problem. On to the next hurdle!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

#90 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:46 PM

Obviously for now, the webtop issue, is not so much of an issue, I have not restored my earlier version of webtop and everything still seems to be working fine..... I have flashed to .215 and Arctic HD ..... and no issues..... :-)

jhf.png

#91 stealthmouse

stealthmouse

Utility Pro

• Superuser
  • 244 posts
  • Google+:https://plus.google.com/u/0/104359749772570760296
  • LocationSolana Beach, CA (i.e., San Diego)

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:14 AM

Hey guys. Niiiiiiice work. How slow is the lag you're talking about? I'll note it as you said, it would just be good to put an actual number on it if possible. On the webtop - isn't it built into sys on the 4.0.4 build? I remember there was a change - ugh, can't remember a damn thing these days as I slide into senility! I'll go back and find the info, I just remember there was a recent change to webtop, could be why it's causing issues, or maybe we just need to use a newer .img file.

I'm assuming you got it to work on ubuntu/linux 32 and 64, but haven't run it on Mac; or have you? Let me know either way. I'll run it on emulator or make my device do some work for once. I'll probably run it anyway just so we have multiple-environment testing to catch glitches.

obeygiant, I have OT idea to ask you about - will PM you...

EDIT: I'm still downloading, but just looked at the error output you quoted. If webtop is too big, you're probably using the SDK ADB Fastboot rather than Moto Fastboot. The SDK version can't handle most image files due to size. Also can happen if you run low on system space, though that shouldn't be the case if factory reset and you're not storing a bunch of data files in sys or system.
If you PM me here, I'll get it eventually, but I'm constantly on the move. If you need to reach me more quickly, email me at stealthmouse@gmail.com and add DroidRZR PERSONAL MESSAGE to subject line. Thanks!

#92 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:53 AM

Not sure I can actually put a number on the lag... for me it was very laggy thru the initial setup after flashing and thru the rooting process .... but went away after rebooting a couple times.... which we all know is a good practice anyway.... I only tested in 32 bit (for now) .... with the webtop, on windows, it "splits"it up into several smaller sections while Linux tries to push it thru all at once.... and the razr rejects it, saying its too big..... (I'll put up screenshots in a little while) ..... so I'm thinking it is not a issue with webtop but just the difference in the way it is handled by Linux vs Windows ..... going to try a couple things and run it again..... will post results....
  • nobe1976 likes this

jhf.png

#93 stealthmouse

stealthmouse

Utility Pro

• Superuser
  • 244 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:10 AM

Okay, sounds good. The max file size, and handling larger sizes, is worse with 32-bit due to its lower processing power, obviously, so that could be part of it in combination with linux pushing it. Thanks.

EDIT: Sorry for bombarding you with redundant question, john, did you do full factory reset/wipe at the start? I assumed you did, but want to make sure that starting point had nothing to do with the lag. I figured it was just the OS and using 32-bit.
If you PM me here, I'll get it eventually, but I'm constantly on the move. If you need to reach me more quickly, email me at stealthmouse@gmail.com and add DroidRZR PERSONAL MESSAGE to subject line. Thanks!

#94 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:32 PM

Okay, sounds good. The max file size, and handling larger sizes, is worse with 32-bit due to its lower processing power, obviously, so that could be part of it in combination with linux pushing it. Thanks.

EDIT: Sorry for bombarding you with redundant question, john, did you do full factory reset/wipe at the start? I assumed you did, but want to make sure that starting point had nothing to do with the lag. I figured it was just the OS and using 32-bit.

yes i did actually before.... and after flashing... ;-) ..... i have not had had much opportunity to run more testing today..... my job had to get in the way.... i will be able to this evening when i stop driving for the night. :-)

jhf.png

#95 obeygiant

obeygiant

Utility Pro

• Superuser
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:02 PM

Hey guys. Niiiiiiice work. How slow is the lag you're talking about? I'll note it as you said, it would just be good to put an actual number on it if possible. On the webtop - isn't it built into sys on the 4.0.4 build? I remember there was a change - ugh, can't remember a damn thing these days as I slide into senility! I'll go back and find the info, I just remember there was a recent change to webtop, could be why it's causing issues, or maybe we just need to use a newer .img file.

I'm assuming you got it to work on ubuntu/linux 32 and 64, but haven't run it on Mac; or have you? Let me know either way. I'll run it on emulator or make my device do some work for once. I'll probably run it anyway just so we have multiple-environment testing to catch glitches.

obeygiant, I have OT idea to ask you about - will PM you...

EDIT: I'm still downloading, but just looked at the error output you quoted. If webtop is too big, you're probably using the SDK ADB Fastboot rather than Moto Fastboot. The SDK version can't handle most image files due to size. Also can happen if you run low on system space, though that shouldn't be the case if factory reset and you're not storing a bunch of data files in sys or system.

Stealth, Yes, the fastboot file I used on this build was from SDK, I was having alot of "waiting for device" errors with the moto fastboot. I didn't realize I would be inducing other errors! I only ran basic testing on Mac 32 and 64 bit, just to make sure it took the reboot-bootloader command, but did not perform an actual restore on the Mac.

Thanks for all of your feedback John, it was very very helpful. Always count on a hillbilly for straight truth! Me, I'm just a geeky redneck!

A little off subject, but I have had my razr on a shelf lately, and using my nexus. I flashed a cm10 nightly rom from dhacker last night and I'm really impressed! The only bug I had was sending mms. I may start using my razr more now, because I just couldn't live without the buttery smoothness of Jelly Bean. But the Razr has such superior hardware, now it's a perfect match! That, and the docks for the Razr really make a difference!! I plan on keeping the Razr for some time, but I believe the functionality of the utility should work on many android platforms. I've already created a utility for my nexus 7 and galaxy nexus combined. Lots and lots of cut and paste!

Again, thanks so much guys for your help and feedback!

#96 obeygiant

obeygiant

Utility Pro

• Superuser
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:06 PM

yes i did actually before.... and after flashing... ;-) ..... i have not had had much opportunity to run more testing today..... my job had to get in the way.... i will be able to this evening when i stop driving for the night. :-)

I hate when that happens! Every time I'm ready to do something, work shows up and bites me in the butt!

#97 obeygiant

obeygiant

Utility Pro

• Superuser
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:24 PM

Here is my successful Linux 64 bit flash...

957.63KB   10 downloads

Here is my successful Linux 32 bit flash...

699.37KB   10 downloads

Same flash, with the webtop failure.....

696.97KB   6 downloads

Here is my successful Mac 64 bit flash.....

243.05KB   9 downloads

and here is me being a dumbass, and not so successfully flashing too long without charging again. I think Im in trouble.......

1.12MB   8 downloads

#98 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:58 PM

.... so it appears that the problem with "pushing" the webtop is primarily when running 32 bit...... my screenshots look pretty much the same (all except the low battery part) hehe ..... is it possible or would it be too much hassle to "break" the webtop apart, similar to windows splitting the webtop, so it can be pushed thru piece by piece? .... trying to come up with something like that is WAY above my "pay grade" (as we used to say in the navy)....
  • obeygiant likes this

jhf.png

#99 obeygiant

obeygiant

Utility Pro

• Superuser
  • 79 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:52 AM

.... so it appears that the problem with "pushing" the webtop is primarily when running 32 bit...... my screenshots look pretty much the same (all except the low battery part) hehe ..... is it possible or would it be too much hassle to "break" the webtop apart, similar to windows splitting the webtop, so it can be pushed thru piece by piece? .... trying to come up with something like that is WAY above my "pay grade" (as we used to say in the navy)....

I will look into how that is handled, and see what I can do. After my factory cable adapter comes in and I can spring my Razr to life! We may be in trouble tho, you are working with a dumb ole broken Jarhead!
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

#100 stealthmouse

stealthmouse

Utility Pro

• Superuser
  • 244 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:34 PM

What would happen if we just skip the webtop flash on the 32-bit? I was swamped with stuff yesterday as well, but I'm going to go to factory and run it on 32-bit without the webtop and see what happens. If running from the same base (ICS), the default webtop should still work, I think. Of course, if you figure out how to break it up, we will seem a lot smarter. I'm now telling everyone I know that the two smartest dudes I know are a hillbilly and a retired jarhead. And to be stereotypical, that the hillbilly lives in his truck!

Obeygiant, I am always humbled by your outofthebox ideas and creativity, but I take a sort of secret glee in seeing you make a noob error by letting your phone run low on juice! Sorry, but it's pretty damn funny!

EDIT: I should be able to run through all the scenarios tonight. I have a few errands to run today and a concert that I'm going to, but after that. I'm sure I'll be in perfect condition for some tech work.....
  • obeygiant likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: utility, mac, linux, 1.8, 1.81, ICS stock restore

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users