Photo

Obsidian's for JB OTA /UPDATE/FXZ/RSD/ROMS/ROOT(wip)/Threads/Guides/SafeStrap/***

bionic ics leak rom safestrap obsidian root

• Please log in to reply
641 replies to this topic

#61 freddy0872

freddy0872

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Twitter:freddy0872

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:53 PM

me too lol

I've always wondered what compiling in a VM would be like, comparatively. I keep gentoo on a separate drive just for because I just like being able to have it on a separate physical drive.

I've tried it. It works. However USB can be a bit of a PITA to get going and depending on how much resource u have available it can suck. I got 8GB in my PC and if I set Linux box to say 6 GB it killed my windows. Ish lagged a lot. Linux ran like a champ. But stole all power from 7. Lol

Would recommend maybe 12+GB

Sent from my iced out XT875 using Tapatalk 2
  • johnlgalt likes this

#62 Int_Rnd_Pooka

Int_Rnd_Pooka

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Current Device(s):Bionic

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:03 PM

I've tried it. It works. However USB can be a bit of a PITA to get going and depending on how much resource u have available it can suck. I got 8GB in my PC and if I set Linux box to say 6 GB it killed my windows. Ish lagged a lot. Linux ran like a champ. But stole all power from 7. Lol

I'm sure it works, just wondering if it's so much of a performance hit that a VM isn't worth the effort, or if it runs at nearly full speed
  • johnlgalt likes this

#63 jp1044

jp1044

DEVELOPER

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts
  • Twitter:@jp1044
  • Google+:jp1044@gmail.com
  • LocationColorado
  • Current Device(s):MOTO X Developer Edition, Droid RAZR HD (backup)

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:27 PM

I'm sure it works, just wondering if it's so much of a performance hit that a VM isn't worth the effort, or if it runs at nearly full speed

If you have a CPU that supports virtulizaton and have 6+ gigs of ram go for it. I have a quad-core AMD chip and 8GB and run Ubuntu at full speed in VirtualBox with 4GB of ram allocated to it. I've been doing most of my developing on there while I get my dual-boot setup working. Runs on my dual screens and everything perfectly. USB can be kind of a pain though.
  • johnlgalt and Int_Rnd_Pooka like this

If you feel the urge to donate to me, you can do so here -> Donate

#64 Int_Rnd_Pooka

Int_Rnd_Pooka

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:50 PM

If you have a CPU that supports virtulizaton and have 6+ gigs of ram go for it. I have a quad-core AMD chip and 8GB and run Ubuntu at full speed in VirtualBox with 4GB of ram allocated to it. I've been doing most of my developing on there while I get my dual-boot setup working. Runs on my dual screens and everything perfectly. USB can be kind of a pain though.

Just finished compiling CM9 (81 minutes, lol I made soup, ate it, baked a pie, ate it, and went for a walk) AMD Bulldozer
Did you have to tweak the AOKP source code much to get the SpeedLite ROM to come together, or was it a pretty straight forward compile?
  • johnlgalt likes this

#65 freddy0872

freddy0872

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:23 AM

Hey guys! Here is a link i created for the Speedlite AOKP v1.0 ROM
DL speed on the original link was rather slow. Figured ill try to ease up on the bandwidth.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

I take no credit in the ROM, Thank you jp1044 for all your HARD WORK!

#66 freddy0872

freddy0872

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:58 PM

Agreed!I had VM running on Dual Screen as well with 7 but it just annoyed me when linux began to compile or draw just alot of attention from my PC and 7 got all laggy and ish.
But hey just try it out! Worse comes to worse and it doesnt work or you dont like the way VM works out for you do what i did. I basically booted up acronis on my VM machine and made a disk image to my EXT-HDD and then booted up my PC into acronis and then applied the image to the HDD. Took a little driver work after wards but all in all it works great!

Just an option for ya

#67 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

Antidisestablishmentarianist

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/JohnLGalt
  • Location3rd Rock
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 4 XL 128 GB

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:58 PM

I ran Gentoo (which compiles similar to arch after booting to a limited kernel) in VBox with no issues on my Core2Quad 6600 backed by 4 GB of RAM.

I now have a Core i7 965 EE backed by 12 GB, with Windows on an SSD (Intel X25-M 80 GB).

If I were not a hard core gamer, I'd wipe Winders off that SSD and set up my Gentoo install directly on it. Between the SSD and using a RAM Drive for /tmp for compiling, I'd get hell fast speeds.

The compiling takes a great deal of perf. If you don't have quad core minimum, it's gonna crawl. I found a few tricks when learning how to compile more efficiently in Gentoo forums - one was making as little a san 950 MB ramdrive and moving /tmp to it. Mae compiles decrease time by well over 35%.

Remember, HDs are still the major bottleneck, b/c most people don't have large enough SSDs for dual booting, and neither do most people have SSDs as secondary and / or tertiary drives on whichto place their VMs.

I'd go with 8 GB min to let both OSs have sufficient RAM.

#68 freddy0872

freddy0872

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:36 PM

Peeps there is some new info about "Big Brother"

Now we all hate big brother (well id assume most of us do) :P
Apparently there has been a script located in our ICS leaks that sends data to Motorola. Now the actual data that gets sent/received isnt known but we want to inform you that its there. I originally found this info out at droidrzr in a post by mattlgroff, here is the link

Now in speaking with Obsidian on this matter NEITHER I NOR HIM will be deleting this script i will instruct you on how to do it however we are not saying you MUST DO THIS IN ANY WAY/SHAPE/FORM BUT>>>>

NO ONE HERE OR ANY OTHER FORUM TAKES RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ACTIONS> NOT EVEN YOUR MOM, DOG, NO ONE!
THERE HAS BEEN REPORTS OF LOSING DATA AND SOME RECOVER FROM A REBOOT. SO DO THIS AT YOUR OWN WILL IF YOU CHOOSE TO!!!

Now to delete the script you must use a root browser and look in your ~/system/bin/ directory. The Script name is "bugtogo.sh"

I WOULD SUGGEST MAKING A NANDROID PRIOR TO MOVING FORWARD JUST INCASE HELL BREAKS LOOSE! :P

Simply delete it. If you read the whole thread at droidrzr there are users explaining what they are experiencing with the deletion of it and its results.
Please keep in mind that this script came from Motorola and they are well aware of us having these WONDERFUL LEAKS! They could be using it to gather information on bugs, consistency, whatever it may be! Also they could potentially cause our phones to go into Thermo Nuclear Meltdown Mode other wise known as TNMM (No i made that ish up but it sounded good! :-) )

They let us find these leaks with some ease and then we find a Big Brother Script. Now like i said there could be all sorts of Rumors floating around saying it does this or it does that, as of right now it is UNKNOWN.

Me and Obsidian have agreed NOT to delete this but we felt yall should know. I have not found this script in several ROMs. Some peeps have, But it is defiantly in the Leaks for sure! If you locate this in a ROM DO NOT BASH THE DEV! THIS HAS BEEN A RECENT FIND! NO ONE WAS AWARE OF ITS EXISTENCE! IF YOU BASH A DEV OR ANYONE SHAME ON YOU IN THE WORST WAY!

Now ONCE AGAIN! Please take care to note! We are not condoning that you MUST DELETE THIS! This is all on your own decision! And use this information at your own will!

On a side note, Obsidian has taken the last few days off. He will be back shortly however. And he said HI to everyone!

#69 Int_Rnd_Pooka

Int_Rnd_Pooka

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:13 AM

I ran Gentoo (which compiles similar to arch after booting to a limited kernel) in VBox with no issues on my Core2Quad 6600 backed by 4 GB of RAM.

I now have a Core i7 965 EE backed by 12 GB, with Windows on an SSD (Intel X25-M 80 GB).

If I were not a hard core gamer, I'd wipe Winders off that SSD and set up my Gentoo install directly on it. Between the SSD and using a RAM Drive for /tmp for compiling, I'd get hell fast speeds.

The compiling takes a great deal of perf. If you don't have quad core minimum, it's gonna crawl. I found a few tricks when learning how to compile more efficiently in Gentoo forums - one was making as little a san 950 MB ramdrive and moving /tmp to it. Mae compiles decrease time by well over 35%.

Remember, HDs are still the major bottleneck, b/c most people don't have large enough SSDs for dual booting, and neither do most people have SSDs as secondary and / or tertiary drives on whichto place their VMs.

I'd go with 8 GB min to let both OSs have sufficient RAM.

I'm running a 6 core AMD Bulldozer 3.3gHz, but only 4gb RAM@1600mHz for the time being. Got to put a couple bucks aside and bump it to 8, since I got a decent line on 2x4g@1333mHz that can probably be clocked up to 1600

It actually does fairly well compiling in a native gentoo environment, as long as I remember to login to Fluxbox instead of KDE when I intend to compile. No reason the system should be consuming those resources when the compile could be using them
  • johnlgalt likes this

#70 Obsidian

Obsidian

Developer

• Superuser
  • 230 posts
  • Twitter:@Obsidian_22

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:04 PM

DID SOME SPRING CLEANING

Update the following Links

Samuri House of Bionic HoB Thread Link

Speedlite 1.0 to 1.1 Download and Thread Links

Speedlite AOKP added Download and Thread Links

RedHead Rebirth 1.0 to 2.0 Download and Thread links

OG ---------> DX ----------> Bionic

#71 Obsidian

Obsidian

Developer

• Superuser
  • 230 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:23 PM

Sparky just Posted a new Tormented CM10 JB Rom that has working data....

He Sent it to me a while ago and Data Seems to be great...

Everyone Check it Out... Link updated in OP
  • Aldroid33 likes this

#72 t1.8matt

t1.8matt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:32 PM

Is the link updated yet for tormented? I'm not seeing it.
Sent from my liquid smooth Bionic

#73 freddy0872

freddy0872

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:50 PM

Yea, its in the OP

**ToRmEnTeD CM10 Kang by Sparkyman216 needs JB Gapps**

Dev's mirror until my file uploads

Just remember this is the Dev's link Obsidian will be posting his own as well

#74 Obsidian

Obsidian

Developer

• Superuser
  • 230 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:57 PM

Sometimes you just need to refresh your Page :-)

Don't forget you need JB Gapps with it as well

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

#75 t1.8matt

t1.8matt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:05 PM

Ha, I did. Just didn't see anything saying it was updated. Thanks.

#76 Obsidian

Obsidian

Developer

• Superuser
  • 230 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:53 PM

Ha, I did. Just didn't see anything saying it was updated. Thanks.

Yeah I should probably start a changelog but I'm lazy lol...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

#77 t1.8matt

t1.8matt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:53 PM

Still not getting data on new tormented ROM.

#78 freddy0872

freddy0872

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:31 PM

Still not getting data on new tormented ROM.

A reboot fixed mine. Are u in a good 4G area? It takes a while for data to come up. Be patient. If it won't after like 5 min or so open up the phone information menu and make sure your radio type is on GSM Only. Then switch it to LTE/GSM/CDMA auto prl.

Works for me. They may have a better way now a days but that works. I'd try a fresh reboot first and wait and be patient with it and see what happens tho bro.

#79 freddy0872

freddy0872

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:33 PM

I'm lazy lol...

DUH! LMAO!!!
U would have to almost make the log a docs link. The freakin log would be as big if not bigger than or OP! Lol

#80 Obsidian

Obsidian

Developer

• Superuser
  • 230 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:53 PM

Beyond Funny

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bionic, ics, leak, rom, safestrap, obsidian, root

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users