usmcamgrimm

Berserker

• Developer
  • 958 posts
  • Twitter:@usmcamgrimm
  • LocationMassillon, OH
  • Current Device(s):VZW G3

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:59 AM

lol Well, uh, I guess that would make sense....

Exodus-Sig%204.png

#22 usmcamgrimm

usmcamgrimm

Berserker

• Developer
  • 958 posts
  • LocationMassillon, OH

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:35 AM

Downloaded a Photoshop trial. I know how to use photoshop for some basic photo editing stuff, but I'm having trouble getting anything to work with my theme images.

Exodus-Sig%204.png

#23 vtwinbmx

vtwinbmx

Droid Elite

• Developer
  • 2,486 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:43 PM

Try gimp

vtc.png

#24 usmcamgrimm

usmcamgrimm

Berserker

• Developer
  • 958 posts
  • LocationMassillon, OH

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:39 PM

I did try gimp first but didn't care for it, so i tried paint.net.

Can someone please explain what to do with 9.PNGs? I saw some theming guides say not to mess with them but never saw anything more about them...

Exodus-Sig%204.png

#25 EmericanX

EmericanX

Developer

• Developer
  • 1,027 posts
  • Twitter:@EmericanX
  • LocationPrince George, VA

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:11 PM

.9's are actually easier then what a lot of folks make them out to be. Basically you edit them the same way with a distinct difference. When you open a .9 patched png you'll should notice the black pixels around the perimeter of the image. Thats if you have used apktool to decompile the apk appropriately. Well for starting out the easiest thing is to edit the image without touching the patch guides (black pixels). If the guides are still intact and untouched during image editing it will compile without issue.

Eventually you may get to a point when you need to edit the 9 patches.. such as adding a texture to an image that you want stretched throughout the image. When you get to that point you would use the 9patcher tool within the Android SDK and rebuild the guides. But that's another lesson by itself.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#26 usmcamgrimm

usmcamgrimm

Berserker

• Developer
  • 958 posts
  • LocationMassillon, OH

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:39 PM

I'm compiling what I've got done so far. I'll flash and post screenshots in the morning; I'd really like some feedback.

Ok, I compiled the .apk with ICS Apktool. Not sure how i need to go about making the signed zip file to flash though. I'll try to look for something on it in the morning.

Exodus-Sig%204.png

#27 EmericanX

EmericanX

Developer

• Developer
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:06 PM

For testing purposes. The easiest thing I've found is to adb push the apk to the sd card. Then use zipsigner from the play store to sign the apk. After that just use a root explorer to replace the application. You could also use tools available to sign the apks on the pc you're working from.

Tip: make sure to keep a known working apk on hand on your computer. Should something go wrong such as a bootloop.. you can simply adb push the problem apk back to the appropriate location.

#28 DSGMach1

DSGMach1

Themer

• Superuser
  • 264 posts
  • LocationGriffin, GA

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:21 PM

I'm compiling what I've got done so far. I'll flash and post screenshots in the morning; I'd really like some feedback.

Ok, I compiled the .apk with ICS Apktool. Not sure how i need to go about making the signed zip file to flash though. I'll try to look for something on it in the morning.

If you mean you aren't sure how to get a flashable zip then download this

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

and just put the apk in the appropriate folder. framework-res.apk will go in system/framework and all of the system apps like SystemUI and Contacts will go in system/app

Just a simple drag and drop and then you're ready to flash.
  • vtwinbmx likes this

#29 usmcamgrimm

usmcamgrimm

Berserker

• Developer
  • 958 posts
  • LocationMassillon, OH

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:09 AM

If you mean you aren't sure how to get a flashable zip then download this

and just put the apk in the appropriate folder. framework-res.apk will go in system/framework and all of the system apps like SystemUI and Contacts will go in system/app

Just a simple drag and drop and then you're ready to flash.

I put SystemUI in the app folder, and I moved the framework-res.apk from ICSapktool to the framework folder. I used 7 zip to compress into a zip, but when I tried to flash, it went to "Installing update..." and stopped. It showed Installation aborted.

Exodus-Sig%204.png

#30 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:28 AM

I put SystemUI in the app folder, and I moved the framework-res.apk from ICSapktool to the framework folder. I used 7 zip to compress into a zip, but when I tried to flash, it went to "Installing update..." and stopped. It showed Installation aborted.

You need to make it flash able. Inside the zip should be META INF and system. In system/app/ put systemUI and in system/framework/ put framework-res.apk. meta inf houses the updater script. It needs to mount system, extract files from system, and unmount system. See how roms and themes out there do this for a model.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#31 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:29 AM

Disregard that I didn't read lol

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#32 stryker

stryker

-.[.Stryker.Originals.].-

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx, Nexus 7

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:42 AM

Dude it takes me months to do a full miui or theme engine theme. That's making most of it scratch, and maybe 30 percent color edit stuff and xml. It's a pain!!! I can knock out a go launcher theme in 2 weekends if i get both days off. But usually i get an hour a day or a couple on the weekends. I wish i had more time so i can pump out more themes. I just don't. I'm sure other dev themers can relate that have other full time jobs.

-=(.stryker.originals.)=-

stryker_sig1.png

#33 DSGMach1

DSGMach1

Themer

• Superuser
  • 264 posts
  • LocationGriffin, GA

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:33 AM

I think I screwed up the updater-script when I was taking out some text I added. That may have been the problem. Download this zip and try this one.

Also are you pulling framework-res straight out of the dist folder when you compile it? If so then you are missing a step. You have to open the apk in the dist folder and the original unmodified apk on your desktop in 7zip so they are side by side on the screen. Then drag-n-drop the folders you modified from the one that opened from the dist folder to the one that you opened from the desktop. If you made any xml edits then you will need to move the resources.arsc file too.

#34 EmericanX

EmericanX

Developer

• Developer
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:42 AM

Dude it takes me months to do a full miui or theme engine theme. That's making most of it scratch, and maybe 30 percent color edit stuff and xml. It's a pain!!! I can knock out a go launcher theme in 2 weekends if i get both days off. But usually i get an hour a day or a couple on the weekends. I wish i had more time so i can pump out more themes. I just don't. I'm sure other dev themers can relate that have other full time jobs.

-=(.stryker.originals.)=-

Yeah! Full time job sucks! But a mans gotta eat... lol. I feel your pain.

#35 usmcamgrimm

usmcamgrimm

Berserker

• Developer
  • 958 posts
  • LocationMassillon, OH

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:08 AM

Ok thanks. I'll work on fixing it when i get off work at my full time job tonight... lol. If my kids will let me...

Exodus-Sig%204.png

#36 Guest_24v_*

Guest_24v_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:46 AM

Or pull a 24v and do an entire theme in like 8 hours without break.

LOL, try 4 hours. ;)
Batching FTW.
In all fairness, I wasn't creating anything on those themes, just color changes, and a few small mods here and there.
  • HouseMD likes this

#37 wulf

wulf

Themer

• Superuser
  • 929 posts
  • Twitter:@Wulf_X1
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:37 AM

Yeah! Full time job sucks! But a mans gotta eat... lol. I feel your pain.

+1

#38 usmcamgrimm

usmcamgrimm

Berserker

• Developer
  • 958 posts
  • LocationMassillon, OH

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:39 PM

I think I compiled it wrong. I followed the instructions Hicks posted (or so I thought). I'm going to try it again and see if I did something wrong.

Well here goes....

Exodus-Sig%204.png

#39 usmcamgrimm

usmcamgrimm

Berserker

• Developer
  • 958 posts
  • LocationMassillon, OH

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:41 PM

LOL, try 4 hours. ;)
Batching FTW.
In all fairness, I wasn't creating anything on those themes, just color changes, and a few small mods here and there.

4 hours? And I thought Alice was crazy for doing one in 10 hours...

Exodus-Sig%204.png

#40 Aliceics

Aliceics

Graphic Designer | Themer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Twitter:alicerzr
  • Google+:littlemissalice1@gmail.com

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:46 PM

4 hours? And I thought Alice was crazy for doing one in 10 hours...

We're all a little bit crazy around here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users