usmcamgrimm

Berserker

• Developer
  • 958 posts
  • Twitter:@usmcamgrimm
  • LocationMassillon, OH
  • Current Device(s):VZW G3

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:31 PM

Ok, here's the deal. My theme isn't finished; I just wanted to check it and see if what I've done so far works or not before I take it further. I de-compiled SystemUI and framework-res, following the instructions Hicks had posted. I haven't changed anything in framework-res yet, only SystemUI. I compiled the SystemUI.apk using the command window in the ICS apktool, and went ahead and recompiled framework.res into a new apk as well. I used the .zip from DSGMach1 and compiled a flashable zip using 7zip. In 7zip, I selected the option to "Add to 'usmcamgrimm.theme.zip." I moved it over to the phone, and went to flash it, but I still get the same message:

Installing update...
Installation aborted.

Not sure what I may have missed in this process. Do I need to make changes to any of the other files in the folder before I compress it into a flashable zip?

And of course, I clear cache / data before I try to flash...

Exodus-Sig%204.png

#42 DSGMach1

DSGMach1

Themer

• Superuser
  • 264 posts
  • LocationGriffin, GA

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:43 PM

Can you upload your zip so we can take a look at it?

#43 usmcamgrimm

usmcamgrimm

Berserker

• Developer
  • 958 posts
  • LocationMassillon, OH

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:48 AM

By all means....and thank you!

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

5.63MB   8 downloads

Exodus-Sig%204.png

#44 vtwinbmx

vtwinbmx

Droid Elite

• Developer
  • 2,486 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:16 AM

I'll take a look and see
But it looks like you didn't use the add to archive in 7-zip

vtc.png

#45 vtwinbmx

vtwinbmx

Droid Elite

• Developer
  • 2,486 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:22 AM

Ok that was the problem, you need too use the add to archive when zipping your theme, Here is you theme using add to archive ready to flash, You can use my META-INF if you wish that I used on this test for you it auto wipes cache and delvik, Good luck Ohio brother don't give up you almost there

• usmcamgrimm likes this

vtc.png

#46 EmericanX

EmericanX

Developer

• Developer
  • 1,027 posts
  • Twitter:@EmericanX
  • LocationPrince George, VA

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:59 AM

Fyi.. for testing purposes like what it sounds like you're doing... adb is your friend! Much less time consuming..

Adb remount
Adb push SystemUI.apk /system/app/SystemUI.apk

Just make sure you are copying your changes from the compiled apk to an original or resigning the new apk. That is extremely important! Failure to do so could cause signature mismatch issues which will lead to the system to ignore it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  • vtwinbmx likes this

#47 HouseMD

HouseMD

Vicodin Addict

• Superuser
  • 294 posts
  • Twitter:DSLRVideoGuy
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:39 AM

When I made mine, which we're pretty minuscule, I batched my themes in photoshop CS4, and the .9.pngs that weren't working right I used Fireworks 8. They handle the alpha channel that are in those .9.pngs better than Photoshop IMHO. I had troubles when batching my apk PNGs when some of them would not change properly and looked like VantenKiest threw up a hairball on them. So I re-did them in Fireworks 8 and all is well, just a hint. You can also use the d9pc one, but I found that to be a PITA.

But hey, themeing is a PITA. Gotta work for what you want though! :D

Posted Image

If you feel the need to buy me a beer, or help pay my bills, here's the link:http://bit.ly/O4ZnLW

#48 usmcamgrimm

usmcamgrimm

Berserker

• Developer
  • 958 posts
  • LocationMassillon, OH

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:50 PM

Fyi.. for testing purposes like what it sounds like you're doing... adb is your friend! Much less time consuming.. Adb remount Adb push SystemUI.apk /system/app/SystemUI.apk Just make sure you are copying your changes from the compiled apk to an original or resigning the new apk. That is extremely important! Failure to do so could cause signature mismatch issues which will lead to the system to ignore it. Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I haven't really used adb much; seems faster than swapping the files over with dropbox though

Exodus-Sig%204.png

#49 usmcamgrimm

usmcamgrimm

Berserker

• Developer
  • 958 posts
  • LocationMassillon, OH

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:11 PM

Ok that was the problem, you need too use the add to archive when zipping your theme, Here is you theme using add to archive ready to flash, You can use my META-INF if you wish that I used on this test for you it auto wipes cache and delvik, Good luck Ohio brother don't give up you almost there

I haven't had a chance to try it again on my pc, but I'll give it a go in the morning and report back. I tried the one you posted though and it flashed, so if that's all you had to do I shouldn't have any problems.
I do see, however that there are some changes / fixes that need to be made. And i thought i had done more than what I can see. It's nice to see what I'm doing though...makes me want to get it done!

Exodus-Sig%204.png

#50 EmericanX

EmericanX

Developer

• Developer
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:37 PM

Good deal man. It always is nice to see your work actually coming together. Make sure to throw up some screen shots as you go.

#51 usmcamgrimm

usmcamgrimm

Berserker

• Developer
  • 958 posts
  • LocationMassillon, OH

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:19 PM

Ok, I don't know what I'm doing wrong...I still can't get it to flash. I made a few more changes today, re-compiled SystemUI and framework-res, made the flashable zip with 7zip by using "add to archive..." but when I go to flash, it says Installation aborted. I just don't have any idea where I'm going wrong here!!!

If I can't get a zip made that will flash, would I adb work to push it to the phone?

Well, in an unexpected turn of events, I finally got it to flash! Unfortunately, I don't know how. All I did was copy over the new SystemUI.apk into the folders and then add to archive with 7zip., Instead of starting from scratch. Whatever works, I suppose....

Edited by usmcamgrimm, 04 October 2012 - 05:25 PM.

Exodus-Sig%204.png

#52 EmericanX

EmericanX

Developer

• Developer
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:32 PM

All you should have to do is click and drag the apk into the correct directory of the zip using 7zip... it'll ask if you want to add it then. BTW installation aborted could be a number of things. Glad you got it to go through! But yes you can use adb... as i mentioned previously during this process you should learn to love adb! Much easier while you're trying to tweak things to get them just as you want them.

#53 usmcamgrimm

usmcamgrimm

Berserker

• Developer
  • 958 posts
  • LocationMassillon, OH

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:33 AM

I figured it out finally! lol
I was adding usmcamgrimm.theme to the archive, instead of just the folders inside, so it created an extra folder in the archive that was unreadable. I fixed the error, and now am able to flash my zips. Now that I know that process, I'll start using adb....

Hopefully I can get some screenshots up in the next day or 2....

Exodus-Sig%204.png

#54 usmcamgrimm

usmcamgrimm

Berserker

• Developer
  • 958 posts
  • LocationMassillon, OH

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:36 AM

Dumb question...is there any way possible to change a color as a batch operation or do i need to edit each file individually?

Exodus-Sig%204.png

#55 Aliceics

Aliceics

Graphic Designer | Themer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Twitter:alicerzr
  • Google+:littlemissalice1@gmail.com

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:41 AM

Dumb question...is there any way possible to change a color as a batch operation or do i need to edit each file individually?

Of course you can! I do it all the time. I use Photoshop CS6 to do it though and I'm not sure of other programs have the capability.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

#56 stealthmouse

stealthmouse

Utility Pro

• Superuser
  • 244 posts
  • Google+:https://plus.google.com/u/0/104359749772570760296
  • LocationSolana Beach, CA (i.e., San Diego)

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:21 AM

You can try GIMP if you don't have Photoshop. It's pretty dynamic, but I'm basically illiterate when it comes to anything ending in -er or -or (vector, raster, etc)! So you'll have to read the features yourself to see if it will do what you need. I've used it to paste photo layers, but that's all...

www.gimp.org

Sent from my DROID SPYDER using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2
If you PM me here, I'll get it eventually, but I'm constantly on the move. If you need to reach me more quickly, email me at stealthmouse@gmail.com and add DroidRZR PERSONAL MESSAGE to subject line. Thanks!

#57 usmcamgrimm

usmcamgrimm

Berserker

• Developer
  • 958 posts
  • LocationMassillon, OH

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:38 AM

I didn't see an option like that in Paint.net, so I spent a few hours last night changing them manually. And when i realized that I need to check the new colors on my phone's screen, I made a new apk and when I flashed it, both my nav bar and status bar were gone. I don't know how that happened, but I was falling asleep while working on so that might have had something to do with it....

Exodus-Sig%204.png

#58 Aliceics

Aliceics

Graphic Designer | Themer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Twitter:alicerzr
  • Google+:littlemissalice1@gmail.com

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:44 AM

I didn't see an option like that in Paint.net, so I spent a few hours last night changing them manually. And when i realized that I need to check the new colors on my phone's screen, I made a new apk and when I flashed it, both my nav bar and status bar were gone. I don't know how that happened, but I was falling asleep while working on so that might have had something to do with it....

That happened to me a lot and I found it to be an xml error, were you messing with the xml or just .pngs?

#59 DSGMach1

DSGMach1

Themer

• Superuser
  • 264 posts
  • LocationGriffin, GA

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:09 AM

Paint.net doesn't have the ability to do batch jobs unfortunately. I don't know if gimp does but like alice said photoshop can do it all if you can just get over the learning curve. Google was my best friend when learning how to do things like a batch job.

#60 usmcamgrimm

usmcamgrimm

Berserker

• Developer
  • 958 posts
  • LocationMassillon, OH

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:15 AM

I haven't done anything with xml yet; I want to get good at editing png files first.
It was like 4 am when I was messing with it last night so I probably just overlooked something when I was doing it.
There is a wealth of info that I've found on this by looking through google. Sometimes it's hard to sift through it to find exactly what I'm looking for. My problem is patience though. I have none! lol

Exodus-Sig%204.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users