67 replies to this topic

#41 NattyBee

NattyBee

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:40 AM

Where are you getting 350? A brand new galaxy S3 cost me $200 less than a month ago, so for the life of me I can't understand where your getting your figures.

the Razr Maxx HD is $299 with contract, so after tax that's approximately $350

#42 droid1177

droid1177

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationGa, USA

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:41 PM

Just to let the fine ppl here know that if you on unlimited data if you use an upgrade in any way, your line or not. You'll lose your Unlimited Data...FLIPSIDE is if you buy a used phone from a third party...ex..E-bay! You can transfer phones with NO consequences.. ..Went from D2G to RAZR Maxx, still Unlimited....

#43 NattyBee

NattyBee

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

Just to let the fine ppl here know that if you on unlimited data if you use an upgrade in any way, your line or not. You'll lose your Unlimited Data...FLIPSIDE is if you buy a used phone from a third party...ex..E-bay! You can transfer phones with NO consequences.. ..Went from D2G to RAZR Maxx, still Unlimited....

If you upgrade a spare line, you still get to keep unlimited... to my knowledge

Sent from my DROID RAZR M using Tapatalk 2

#44 droid1177

droid1177

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationGa, USA

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

If I would've used my upgrade from "Line A" for "Line B", I would have lost it...Even though no changes were to be applied to Line A... Sales Rep told me several times...I didn't want to chance it...

#45 NattyBee

NattyBee

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

If I would've used my upgrade from "Line A" for "Line B", I would have lost it...Even though no changes were to be applied to Line A... Sales Rep told me several times...I didn't want to chance it...

I dunno...I have done it...in fact, I almost did it for the Maxx HD, but my spare line isn't eligible until March...I spoke with the store rep and he said it would work but I needed to call support and get them to move my upgrade...I called, but they told me that they can only move them 1 month...but she also said my approach would work...

Sent from my DROID RAZR M using Tapatalk 2

#46 lutheranpriest

lutheranpriest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:18 PM

Just to simplify this for everyone, since I've done this very recently, here's how it works.

In one sentence, if you upgrade with "customer provided hardware" (VZW's official terminology), you get to keep your unlimited data.

If you're not on a family share plan, you pretty much have to buy another phone outright, either paying full price through VWZ, ebay, etc.

If you are on a family share plan, the cheapest way to do it is to get an ESN for a basic phone (doesn't even have to work, just a clean ESN). First, add a line to your family share plan. I've done this through Wirefly before, no problems, and I kept my unlimited data. The other nice thing about Wirefly is they have great prices on new smart phones. When you get the new phone, you must activate it on the new line first. After you get the phone activated, sign into your VZW account, and activate the basic phone on the new line. Take your new phone to your local retailer, tell them you want it activated on your primary line and keep your unlimited data. They'll activate your new phone (they might charge you $10 for a new SIM card) on your line, and you'll still keep your data.

Why do this? You pay $10 a month for having a new line on your family share plan, plus $3-4 a month for fees & taxes. Over the 24 month commitment, you'll pay roughly $320, but end up with a phone anywhere from free-$100 for which you would have had to shell out upfront $600+ to VWZ.

#47 garywojdan81

garywojdan81

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Twitter:gwojdan_81

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:52 AM

Just to simplify this for everyone, since I've done this very recently, here's how it works.

In one sentence, if you upgrade with "customer provided hardware" (VZW's official terminology), you get to keep your unlimited data.

If you're not on a family share plan, you pretty much have to buy another phone outright, either paying full price through VWZ, ebay, etc.

If you are on a family share plan, the cheapest way to do it is to get an ESN for a basic phone (doesn't even have to work, just a clean ESN). First, add a line to your family share plan. I've done this through Wirefly before, no problems, and I kept my unlimited data. The other nice thing about Wirefly is they have great prices on new smart phones. When you get the new phone, you must activate it on the new line first. After you get the phone activated, sign into your VZW account, and activate the basic phone on the new line. Take your new phone to your local retailer, tell them you want it activated on your primary line and keep your unlimited data. They'll activate your new phone (they might charge you $10 for a new SIM card) on your line, and you'll still keep your data.

Why do this? You pay $10 a month for having a new line on your family share plan, plus $3-4 a month for fees & taxes. Over the 24 month commitment, you'll pay roughly $320, but end up with a phone anywhere from free-$100 for which you would have had to shell out upfront $600+ to VWZ.

Thanks for this breakdown.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#48 osnoozeo

osnoozeo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

I just used there loop hole And got galaxy note2 just switched itto my account today. Still unlimited

#49 droid1177

droid1177

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationGa, USA

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:03 PM

I just used there loop hole And got galaxy note2 just switched itto my account today. Still unlimited

What loop hole would that be?

#50 Brenardo

Brenardo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

See 2 posts above yours

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

#51 droid1177

droid1177

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationGa, USA

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:25 PM

I see, that's a given but my situation is that I couldn't touch my upgrade with my line or any other without losing my unlimited status...

#52 Brenardo

Brenardo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

Get a dumb phone, buy whatever smartphone u want but do not activate it on the line you purchased it for. Insert sim from unlimited data line. Then activate dumb phone on line you purchased the new smart phone on and cut off data to that line.

Problem solved

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

#53 droid1177

droid1177

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationGa, USA

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:03 PM

True yes, but In my case I'm simply saying that the upgrade associated with my # can not be used by any of my lines. If it were moved and applied , I'd lose my unlimited status... I spoke with Rep after Rep in person and on phone all telling me the same.

#54 osnoozeo

osnoozeo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:31 AM

Then have someone else add a line for you then and buy the new phone you want

#55 NattyBee

NattyBee

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:18 PM

OK, guys...a coworker of mine did something last night which interested me, and I think it may interest you as well. He had an upgrade available on his line, and he transferred it to his wife's line, and upgraded her to the Razr M (she was using the Charge, so it'll be a huge improvement, lol)...and he did NOT lose his unlimited data. Now, I have been wanting to get a Droid Razr Maxx HD...so what I did was I went to the MyVerizon website and got on a chat with a representative. here is what you may be interested to see from THAT:

The Natty Bee: I am wondering...would using the upgrade on this other line affect my unlimited data on the line I transferred the upgrade FROM?
The Natty Bee: my main line currently has unlimited data, and I really don't wish to lose that
Derek N.: The unlimited data will only be affected when you personally upgrade your line directly or if you choose to change the entire plan over to a Share Everything plan.
The Natty Bee: so, by transferring my upgrade to another line and upgrading that line, I will keep my unlimited data?
Derek N.: Correct, your line will remain the same while the other line will receive the new phone and the new data package.
The Natty Bee: ok, thankyou.

OK, guys...so I went ahead and transferred my upgrade to one of my spare lines (I have 3 to play with- don't ask, I have an Android addiction, lol)...and I upgraded that line to get the Maxx HD...and still have Unlimited Data on my main line....I will keep you updated on the outcome, once I receive and use the new device....

#56 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:25 PM

This should work fine. It is no different than the add a line, buy the phone, transfer the phone trick. When you buy the phone you have to add a data package to that line. Once you switch phones and put the dumb phone back on the spare line you can cancel that data. They don't force you into the share plan they just force you to add a 2G data plan to the line you are upgrading.
  • NattyBee likes this

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#57 NattyBee

NattyBee

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:30 PM

This should work fine. It is no different than the add a line, buy the phone, transfer the phone trick. When you buy the phone you have to add a data package to that line. Once you switch phones and put the dumb phone back on the spare line you can cancel that data. They don't force you into the share plan they just force you to add a 2G data plan to the line you are upgrading.

indeed. but we had a few users posting in this thread who were afraid that upgrading any line on your account would cause you to lose Unlimited data...and I myself was worried that transferring the upgrade from line A to line C (in my case, lol) would still affect line A, seeing as the upgrade came from that line...I just wanted to let them know that this is in fact a safe method.

#58 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

indeed. but we had a few users posting in this thread who were afraid that upgrading any line on your account would cause you to lose Unlimited data...and I myself was worried that transferring the upgrade from line A to line C (in my case, lol) would still affect line A, seeing as the upgrade came from that line...I just wanted to let them know that this is in fact a safe method.

Yeah man good call. More info the better. :)
  • NattyBee likes this

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#59 droid1177

droid1177

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationGa, USA

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:52 PM

So NattyBee, When you moved your Upgrade from Line A to Line C. Did you have to speak to someone?

#60 Guest_SuchANerdyGirl_*

Guest_SuchANerdyGirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:54 PM

They are actively changing from unlimited feature codes to metered feature codes automatically when you apply some promotions, and/or change phones, BUT, they can (and will) put the unlimited back on if you throw a big enough fit. That is for now. My understanding is that it's more of a case study at this point. I can tell you this, if it is eventually phased out then the feature codes will be removed, so it can't be reapplied.

My impression at this point is that it's more of a "lets see what happens" sort of situation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users