3711 replies to this topic

#3621 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,482 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:02 PM

DO NOT under any circumstances, make a nandroid with bootstrap recovery on JB.  If you decide to restore it, you will brick and have to go through a lot of pain to fix it.  You have been warned.

But yes, if you're making a nandroid with SafeStrap, for example, you need to remove the protected backups.

Non potest esse nisi unus

#3622 LDubs

LDubs

Pawn In Game of Life

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts
  • Twitter:lew_bklyn
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6P, Nexus 5, Nvidia Shield 32gb LTE, Moto X 2013 (thanks S3inks!)

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:06 PM

Got it. I'm safe strap only. Thanks!

sent from my icy Bionic with a side of jellybeans
The price of liberty, and even of common humanity, is eternal vigilance. -- Aldous Huxley

Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.  ---Mark Twain

Thoughts become things. If you see it in your mind, you will hold it in your hand. --Bob Proctor

#3623 LDubs

LDubs

Pawn In Game of Life

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6P, Nexus 5, Nvidia Shield 32gb LTE, Moto X 2013 (thanks S3inks!)

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:38 PM

So does this nandroid issue in safestrap apply to ANY backups, or only backup/restore of stock ?

The price of liberty, and even of common humanity, is eternal vigilance. -- Aldous Huxley

Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.  ---Mark Twain

Thoughts become things. If you see it in your mind, you will hold it in your hand. --Bob Proctor

#3624 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,482 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:42 PM

If there is a su-backup in your nandroid, it will cause problems.

#3625 LDubs

LDubs

Pawn In Game of Life

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:39 PM

woohoo!  I haz jellybean OTA!  All went smooth until I tried to restore root with voodoo - even though it stated "su granted" etc, it wouldn't restore properly, even with a reboot.  So back to the HoB I went, restore root, bada bing bada boom DONE.  Just did a quick TiBu backup to make sure. 

THANK YOU again Sam for your fantastic utility.  I know it's been said before but I will say it again - you are an extremely valuable resource to this community.

:D

• SamuriHL, matjmonk and marleyinoc like this

#3626 LDubs

LDubs

Pawn In Game of Life

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:50 PM

ahhh back on liquid... didn't need to restore, my slot 3 was hanging out waiting for me to come back... soon I shall probably feel the need to do a backup of stock, at that point I will unprotect root first.

#3627 LDubs

LDubs

Pawn In Game of Life

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:22 PM

So I'm thinking, at this point, since there will be no more OTAs, that I no longer need protected root... correct?

#3628 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,482 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:28 PM

I take nothing for granted.  I'd at least keep the HoB backup for safe keeping.  Just make it part of your process to run unprotect before doing a new nandroid.  It obviously only matters on the stock side.  You don't need to backup root on roms.

#3629 LDubs

LDubs

Pawn In Game of Life

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:40 PM

Run unprotect in voodoo and hob? Then how to keep the hob backup?

sent from my beantastic Bionic

#3630 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,482 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:42 PM

Silly user....you unprotect, do your nandroid, then protect once you boot back into your stock install.  :)  

#3631 LDubs

LDubs

Pawn In Game of Life

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:49 PM

Ah. So any nandroid right, not just stock?

#3632 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,482 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:52 PM

Ok, so, let me see if I can explain.  Your ROMS will all have root built in.  So no need to protect any of those ever.  The stock system is what you care about.  When you do the nandroid for stock, you need to unprotect it.  When you're done with the nandroid, you protect it again.  Does that help?

#3633 LDubs

LDubs

Pawn In Game of Life

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:59 PM

Yes. So any non stock ROM nandroid is unaffected by the restore issue. Just want to make sure nothing got borked with other backup and restores in safe strap.

#3634 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,482 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:09 PM

Shouldn't be an issue as long as you don't nandroid with a protected su-backup.

#3635 onthewhole

onthewhole

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:08 AM

My wife is not rooted on .232. After reading everything I believe I can just fxz her to the new jellybean without going to .246 first. Am I correct here, or do I need to go .232>.246>JB FXZ? I read that there was an option to retain data (txt. etc) but is that only for rooted phones? 

I need to do some more reading before I proceed I suppose. I just don't want to wipe her out. This is not my primary device so I am not quite as knowledgable about the bionic.

Thanks for any help.

#3636 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,482 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:27 AM

FXZ Keep Data using the 98.72.22 FXZ.  But yes, read everything before doing.

• onthewhole likes this

#3637 onthewhole

onthewhole

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:56 AM

FXZ Keep Data using the 98.72.22 FXZ.  But yes, read everything before doing.

Thank you so much for all you have done for this community.  Is there a paypal link somewhere I can donate to?

#3638 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,482 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:46 AM

Thank you so much for all you have done for this community.  Is there a paypal link somewhere I can donate to?

There is not.  What I do is for the benefit of the community so there is no need for a donation.

• milski65, Memnoch73, jayrod and 5 others like this

#3639 jayrod

jayrod

Bacon, Cheese & Mod Connoisseur

• 6,525 posts
  • LocationWilmington NC
  • Current Device(s):Taimen

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:09 AM

There is not.  What I do is for the benefit of the community so there is no need for a donation.

Such a humble samurai

Sent from my BSC testing FJ bionic courtesy of livinginkaos
  • matjmonk, SirEagle, LDubs and 2 others like this

#3640 rgbutt

rgbutt

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:42 PM

Help! Wife's bionic suddenly started boot looping yesterday.  It had been running great on HOB 246 FXZ for several months. She thinks she might have accepted the OTA update recently, but not sure. 

I flashed it with the 22 FXZ with AP Fastboot and it completed without any problems.... except for... still boot looping.   I did the 22 FXZ with the Keep Data option. Do I need to wipe it and reflash?  Is that my only option?  

Thanks!

Thought I should add, this phone was not rooted prior to this happening.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: HoB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users