dautley

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationTN.
  • Current Device(s):HTC One (M8) , Nexus 7 (2012), Nexus 10

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:32 PM

Geez, 6.0?

Turns your Bionic into a Razr Maxx HD with unlocked bootloader :)
  • johnlgalt likes this

#102 dautley

dautley

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationTN.
  • Current Device(s):HTC One (M8) , Nexus 7 (2012), Nexus 10

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:37 PM

You're quite welcome. VZW needs to drop this flash crap and just get on with it.

You would think with Adobe no longer supporting Flash and Google no longer supporting flash on JB Verizon would get a hint!
I guess the intern Verizon put in charge of Bionic development really likes his/her flash videos......

#103 mhous33

mhous33

Droid Master

• Developer
  • 480 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:23 PM

@SamuriHL what's the point of creating the recovery.img? it's not necessary to reflash an update, correct?

#104 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,463 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:06 AM

I extract the recovery img to use as part of the mini fxz (aka reinstall) option. It's not strictly necessary to extract one but if you're rooted it doesn't hurt and could help in the event of a soft brick if you need to recover. I include it in the support installer I make.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Non potest esse nisi unus

#105 csantarcangelo

csantarcangelo

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:01 AM

You are a genius! Thank you for making this so easy for those of us that understand it but have day jobs and not the time to do this ourselves.
  • SamuriHL likes this
Just having fun with Android!

#106 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,463 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:30 AM

Cross posting this from the DF thread...

Someone PM'd me a little while ago about going from 232 to 244 and what my thoughts are on it. I thought I'd share my answer with the class....

----------------------------

I don't mind people going to 235+ as long as they are aware of, and accept, the risks of doing so. First is you can't FXZ to 905. So that complicates things in the event of a brick situation and certainly for applying new updates. That being said, I designed the HoB to help us insane people that live out on the edge. I've made it as safe as I possibly can. That does NOT mean risk free, but, I have a few safety nets in there.

First, I can build an on the fly mini-fxz to repair an install gone wrong. (I.E. brick scenario). The requirement is that the update for the version you're trying to repair *MUST* remain on the sdcard-ext. With that requirement met, I've yet to be able to unbrick someone. It's ALMOST as good as a real FXZ.

Second is the ability to add new updates to the HoB without my intervention. Meaning, let's say you get your hands on 251 and you see that it fixes EVERYTHING. I'm out camping at a NASCAR race for 4 days and don't have the ability to create an update support installer for it. (Yes, that's going to happen in 2 weeks, so....). You can add a new 251 directory, append 251 to the zip filename, and run the HoB batch file. It'll ask if you want to create a new boot img for it, you tell it yes, plug your phone in, and when the menu comes up, you'll have a INSTALL 251 and REINSTALL 251 option. Choose the INSTALL 251 option and you're no longer stuck on 244.

However, I'd caution you on newer leaks. They need to be checked with the CDTParser.exe that's in the utils dir. Basically extract the CDT.bin from your new update, and open it with the CDTParser.exe. Compare it with the CDT.bin from 244. (You can open 2 instances of the CDTParser.exe at the same time). If they're the same, you're good to go. If anything in there goes UP in security, consult the experts before installing.
  • dfib likes this

#107 italyguy01

italyguy01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:07 PM

Hello All! Thanks for all the great info. If I upgrade to the latest ICS leak 244, will my phone still allow Verizon to do OTA upgrade when the ICS release version comes out?

My phone is currently rooted. If I upgrade to 244, what do I use to root it?

Thanks!

#108 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,463 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:08 PM

Please do some reading. The OP answers those questions.

#109 italyguy01

italyguy01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:10 PM

Hi SamuriHL, I was following this whole thread, didn't see it. I will go back over. Thank you for all your hard work!

#110 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,463 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:13 PM

The HoB has root for ICS built into it. 235+ will take you off the OTA path (that's what it means when we say WARNING CANNOT DOWNGRADE TO 905). ALL ICS updates must be installed on top of 905. The HoB has a method for moving forward but you can never go to a pre-235 build.

#111 italyguy01

italyguy01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:13 PM

Thanks so much bud!

#112 italyguy01

italyguy01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:15 PM

So, if I upgrade and the OTA option is removed. What happens when verizon comes out with the release? Will I never be able to activate OTA again?

#113 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,463 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:24 PM

That's kinda why there's a big warning about it. I think you don't fully understand what an "OTA" is, however. A leak is nothing more than a Moto update that hasn't been released. It's an "OTA" candidate. OTA simply means Over The Air....it's a reference on how the update is installed. Once VZW accepts a Moto update, it's put on the update server which is how they become "OTA". If you are running the version the update is designed for, it will download the update and install it. Since you will be on an ICS leak, there won't be an update available for that version, so you won't see the OTA update. Once VZW settles on an update and the soak test begins, we'll be able to get that update and manually install it with the HoB.

BUT....I STRONGLY caution you to take my warnings seriously. The lack of ability to go back to 905 is a SERIOUS risk. While I can move us forward between updates, we ARE off the OTA path until VZW releases the OTA update and we're able to install it. The method used to move between updates is also not without risk. It involves soft bricking your phone temporarily until the update is successfully installed. 232 is the last safe ICS build that allows you to FXZ back to 905.

#114 italyguy01

italyguy01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:28 PM

Hi SamuriHL, aghh, you make it so much more understandable. Thank you for all your hard work. So would you say it is safest to install 232, and then wait for the final release, then go back to 905 and do the OTA update? Or stay with 232 and just install the final update manually with it is finally release?

Can I install 232 and back to 905 without losing anything?

Is there any real difference between 232 and 244? Do both do ok with 4 LTE?

#115 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,463 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:31 PM

Most people unless you're an advanced user should stick with 232 until the OTA.

If on 232, you have 2 choices when OTA is out. Install it manually with the HoB and keep your data and apps. Or FXZ back to 905 and take it OTA. But you can NOT keep your data and apps if you go from 232 to 905. It will cause massive corruption and give you a horribly unstable phone.

#116 italyguy01

italyguy01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:33 PM

Ok, I will do the 232. Thanks for all the great advice. So one final question. If I do the 232, and VZW comes out with the final release, and I install the final release manually. Will future releases from VZW be OTA ? Or will I always have to do manual updates? (Man I appreciate your advice!!)

#117 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,463 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:34 PM

Once back on the OTA path (i.e. installing the ICS OTA build regardless of how you do it) you will be able to take new OTA updates normally.

#118 italyguy01

italyguy01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:36 PM

Awesome! You rock !!!

#119 italyguy01

italyguy01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:18 PM

Just upgraded to 232. WOW!!! Awesome!!! Seems a little slower then gingerbread as far as speed, but I like it!

#120 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,463 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:20 PM

You need to let it settle down for a day or two and then re-evaluate the speed. Most of us feel it's much faster than GB.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: HoB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users