n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Google+:vincepoy@gmail.com
  • LocationSan Francisco, California USA
  • Current Device(s):Motorola RAZR HD MAXX

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:30 AM

Doesn't flashing the 183.46.10 stock actually flash the radio as I actually flashed 183.46.10 stock twice just in case as I noticed with 182.46.10, the second time I flashed using the 1.41 Utility from xda, the radio seemed to be a bit more stable.  What is the correct way to flash the radio and do you mean the 183.46.10 radio or is there a newer version available?   In any case, if I did end up with the soak, can one even go back to 183.46.10 without wiping data?  

#242 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,479 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:37 AM

You can if you flash it with the proper script.  You can't flash gpt or tz partitions when downgrading on unlocked phones.  Why would you think I meant to flash the radio from 183.46.10 when you were asking about the soak build??

Non potest esse nisi unus

#243 Almighty1

Almighty1

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:56 AM

Interesting, still trying to learn about the flashing part and learning a great deal thanks to experts like yourself.  How are some people able to jump between KK versions and custom rom that are KK based if they can't flash gpt or tz partitions?   As for the radio, I thought it requires NON-HLOS.bin which is not in the Blur_Version.183.46.14.XT926.Verizon.en.US.zip file unless it is available elsewhere.  From what I can tell, to flash the radio is to use fastboot
using the following:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#244 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,479 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:59 AM

Yes.  They only changed part of the modem in the soak.

Roms don't contain those partitions so they don't try to flash them.  It's moving between stock versions that's the problem as they do.

#245 Almighty1

Almighty1

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:03 AM

That makes sense, is there any way to flash only the modem with the soak?  

#246 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,479 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:05 AM

The fsg is in there if I remember right.  Flash that.  non-hlos didn't change for this build.  They MAY have used the updater to patch some of the modem files on system, but, I haven't looked at the script and really don't have time to right now.  If they did then the only way to currently get the modems completely is to flash the soak.  At that point your gpt and tz partitions would be updated, so, you'd always have to use the universal script to downgrade until a new FXZ for this build is released.  So far that's not happened.  Which is beyond odd at this point.

• VapeApe and exsquid like this

#247 Almighty1

Almighty1

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 11:22 PM

Thanks, this is basically what I did...

I extracted the fsg.mbn file from the 183.46.14 patch and renamed it and then did the following after putting the phone in AP Fastboot:

fastboot flash fsg fsg183.46.14.mbn
(bootloader) Variable not supported!
target reported max download size of 31457280 bytes
sending 'fsg' (165 KB)...
OKAY [  0.025s]
writing 'fsg'...
OKAY [  1.156s]
finished. total time: 1.182s

fastboot erase modemst1
erasing 'modemst1'...
OKAY [  1.024s]
finished. total time: 1.025s

fastboot erase modemst2
erasing 'modemst2'...
OKAY [  1.065s]
finished. total time: 1.065s

Rebooted at this point.

I extracted the fsg.mbn file from the 183.46.15 patch and renamed it and then did the following after putting the phone in AP Fastboot:

fastboot flash fsg fsg183.46.15.mbn

target reported max download size of 31457280 bytes
sending 'fsg' (165 KB)...
OKAY [  0.026s]
writing 'fsg'...
OKAY [  1.295s]
finished. total time: 1.321s

fastboot erase modemst1
erasing 'modemst1'...
OKAY [  0.712s]
finished. total time: 0.712s

fastboot erase modemst2
erasing 'modemst2'...
OKAY [  0.754s]
finished. total time: 0.755s

then rebooted.

Not sure if the (bootloader) Variable not supported! response from fastboot is a concern or not.  

The radio baseband version is the same in 183.46.10, 183.46.14 and 183.46.15:
VANQUISH_BP_100731.020.64.21P

unless someone has a different baseband version in 183.46.15.

Several things I had noticed with 183.46.10 even with the new radios flashed at least is that the mobile connection still drops periodically even if it was in a 5 bar strong signal area in San Francisco downtown.  On Thursday, when I was heading to the Verizon Wireless store in downtown San Francisco, the non-NFC SIM that came with the phone in 10/2012 was on 4G 5 bars in the entire area.  I needed to get a NFC SIM because of ISIS so they gave me a new NFC SIM and the phone started 3G with 4 bars from the store all the way until I got home before it finally switched to 4G and it seems like the NFC SIM still has periodic disconnects as the signal bars are there but the 4G LTE symbol just disappears whenever it happens when it is 3-5 bars.  Not sure if the SIMs are like how it was in the 3G GSM days when newer SIMS usually have a newer software or database on it as I remember some people with T-Mobile SIMs would say PacBell instead of T-Mobile until they went into the store to switch the SIM, it might even be the PRL for all I know.

If the baseband version of the radio is the same, wouldn't this mean the radio hasn't changed as I thought the baseband version would be different.  As for other things like the bluetooth and wi-fi, I remember with the Motorola Droid 1 with stock Froyo 2.2, there were people with issues with weak wifi and the fix was with a kernel module replacement file so probably the bluetooth and wifi can be fixed if the problem is in the kernel modules.  The other problem I am having other than this is the battery charges at a extremely slow speed on the 1.1Amp charger as it basically charges at 1% per hour with the phone on but extremely fast with the phone off.  

I also have the popping noises every 30 seconds that has nothing to do with locking the screen or touching sounds as those sounds are turned off.  

Both the slow battery charging issue and the popping noises are fixed with the boot image that fixes the popping noises.

My concern with flashing the soak is basically is there a chance that Motorola with their next stock OTA will provide a patch from 183.46.10 but not from 183.46.14 and 183.46.15 since if one can't go back to 183.46.10, it would seem one would be SOL.  

One other thing I noticed is that if I had multiple launchers installed without having a default launcher defined, Kitkat will not load the startup items if I had it on the PIN lock screen automatically.  If I took out the lockscreen or kept the lockscreen and define the Kitkat launcher as the home launcher default, it will load the startup items fine.  Not sure if this is a bug with Kitkat or not or is this by design.

#248 smb5769

smb5769

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR HD, Droid Turbo

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:57 AM

Evidently Verizon has released the update. They are trying to push it to me now. I delayed it to see what you guys think I should do first. Do I need to unroot, or just let it come on in?

#249 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 2 XL, Nexus 6, Moto X Pure Edition, 2013 Moto X DE, Droid Razr Maxx HD, 2013 Nexus 7 LTE, LG G Pad X 8.3

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:07 AM

Confirmed just got the push notice here.

#250 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,479 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:09 AM

So where the hell's the FXZ?  SIGH.

#251 smb5769

smb5769

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:23 AM

So where the hell's the FXZ? SIGH.

How do I get it? I looked in the cache folder with es file explorer and it said folder empty. Maybe I need to download the file first?

#252 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 2 XL, Nexus 6, Moto X Pure Edition, 2013 Moto X DE, Droid Razr Maxx HD, 2013 Nexus 7 LTE, LG G Pad X 8.3

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:23 AM

The date on the cover page isn't correct.  But this is all Verizon has to say about it.

#253 smb5769

smb5769

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:30 AM

What about ota snatcher?

#254 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:37 AM

never used it.  Doing backups now then I will try to download it.  I expect it to fail on my phone.

#255 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:48 AM

yes, you need to d/l the file first to see it on your device....ota snatcher was written by Matt a while ago, not sure if its been updated or still works now but give it a try.

#256 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Twitter:iBolski
  • Google+:Ivan Samuelson
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Device(s):Samsung Galaxy S7

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:50 AM

The date on the cover page isn't correct.  But this is all Verizon has to say about it.

Which coincides with what was stated with the soak test and the patch to the soak test. That's basically what they told us this fix was for.

Doesn't matter for me. I'm sticking with CM11.

This should be it for this phone, though. This is the last OTA.

VZW Samsung Galaxy S7 Stock and unrooted running Marshmallow 46A, 32gb Nexus 7 unlocked
2cqd4t2.png

#257 perdroidus

perdroidus

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx HD

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:51 AM

Just got an OTA notice to update my XT926 fom 182.46.10 to 182.46.15.   I immediately deferred that for 23 hrs (longest I could set it before reminding me again) because everything is  currently running happily, unlocked and rooted, on 182.46.10.  If I take that update, will I lose root?  I'm not that technically astute but with Samuri's great help, I was able to lock and root on 182.46.10 and I don't want to lose it or jump through all the hoops again if avoidable.  Will this update from .10 to .15 screw up my currently happy phone, or is it ok to take it -- and if so what are the benefits?   I am very wary of what they may be trying to do behind the curtain.  Thanks in advance for any advice or pointers on this...

#258 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Twitter:iBolski
  • Google+:Ivan Samuelson
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Device(s):Samsung Galaxy S7

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:55 AM

Just got an OTA notice to update my XT926 fom 182.46.10 to 182.46.15.   I immediately deferred that for 23 hrs (longest I could set it before reminding me again) because everything is  currently running happily, unlocked and rooted, on 182.46.10.  If I take that update, will I lose root?  I'm not that technically astute but with Samuri's great help, I was able to lock and root on 182.46.10 and I don't want to lose it or jump through all the hoops again if avoidable.  Will this update from .10 to .15 screw up my currently happy phone, or is it ok to take it -- and if so what are the benefits?   I am very wary of what they may be trying to do behind the curtain.  Thanks in advance for any advice or pointers on this...

You'll lose root because you'll have to go back to pure stock since you are rooted.

However, since you are unlocked, you'll be able to easily root it using TWRP or CWM by sideloading it. No need to use an exploit since you are now unlocked. As it is, Towel root won't work with the new update anyway.

As for the benefits, the main issue is the 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 security patches, including the FakeID exploit that was talked about last month. It supposedly fixes blue-tooth issues as well that cropped up with the 182.46.10 OTA.

VZW Samsung Galaxy S7 Stock and unrooted running Marshmallow 46A, 32gb Nexus 7 unlocked
2cqd4t2.png

#259 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,479 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:56 AM

OTA != FXZ for those thinking that's what I meant.

#260 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 09 September 2014 - 10:17 AM

Have it pulled I will IM you sam to upload it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users