324 replies to this topic

#281 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,461 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:05 PM

May be a n00b question, but is there a simple way to block the OTA? If it's only a security fix then I see no reason to bother installing the update (and risking a brick).

Freeze the updater.

Non potest esse nisi unus

#282 Almighty1

Almighty1

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Google+:vincepoy@gmail.com
  • LocationSan Francisco, California USA
  • Current Device(s):Motorola RAZR HD MAXX

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:07 PM

What Sams says...

FXZ are generally rather large files 600-700+ MB

OTA are generally much smaller, often 50-60MB but of course vary depending on how much they need to push out. Some of the latest smaller ones were only 10MB

Am I correct that OTA is basically a patch while FXZ is like everything so you can just flash the FXZ alone and it will get you back to a stocked ROM of that version?

#283 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:07 PM

The patch from 14 to 15 has been in the OP for weeks now.  Just sayin'.   ;)

DOH!!!! maybe I should hide my silly post..... thanks Sam.

• SamuriHL likes this

#284 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,461 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:09 PM

Am I correct that OTA is basically a patch while FXZ is like everything so you can just flash the FXZ alone and it will get you back to a stocked ROM of that version?

The FXZ contains all the partitions on the phone and is flashed using RSD Lite or fastboot.  It will overwrite all partitions with stock.

#285 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:10 PM

And I already had d/l'ed the file and extracted, but guess didnt flash it :)

Damn Moto making things so confusing with multiple paths and files, mf'ers

#286 Almighty1

Almighty1

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:13 PM

The FXZ contains all the partitions on the phone and is flashed using RSD Lite or fastboot.  It will overwrite all partitions with stock.

Yes, that was what I was trying to ask.  Basically one is like the full stock ROM while the other as in OTA requires an existing stock as it's nothing more than a patch.

#287 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 2 XL, Nexus 6, Moto X Pure Edition, 2013 Moto X DE, Droid Razr Maxx HD, 2013 Nexus 7 LTE, LG G Pad X 8.3

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:19 PM

System patches seems to be complete.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

146.41KB   26 downloads

#288 Almighty1

Almighty1

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:44 PM

Is the kernel date and the Build date the same on the OTA 183.46.15 vs the soaked 183.46.15?

#289 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,461 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:54 PM

Is the kernel date and the Build date the same on the OTA 183.46.15 vs the soaked 183.46.15?

Is the time in NYC the same as the time in Washington D.C.?

#290 Mr-Glass

Mr-Glass

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 01:13 PM

Just had a chance to run through today's posts - Is it confirmed that this OTA updates fine for Unlocked - Rooted with no side effects?  Vaguely remember devices getting that lucky...  but no complaints if that is the case.. 

#291 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 2 XL, Nexus 6, Moto X Pure Edition, 2013 Moto X DE, Droid Razr Maxx HD, 2013 Nexus 7 LTE, LG G Pad X 8.3

Posted 09 September 2014 - 01:24 PM

It has happened once.  With updates there is no way to be sure.  Each phone setup could be different.  I tried it because I had full fresh backups and felt like living dangeriously.  There have also been people that was stock and had updates brick their phone.  Once is by no means conformation.

The only proven method is in the op.

#292 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 09 September 2014 - 01:31 PM

and if there is a fubar, without the full FXZ which hasnt been released you could be hosed....

#293 XE_Nerd

XE_Nerd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Current Device(s):DROID RAZR HD, HTC Rezound

Posted 09 September 2014 - 02:54 PM

Checked it out for about 5 minutes.... Still getting the popping noise. They made key touches silent by default but didn't fix the popping. I continue to have battery issues on kitkat even though I make efforts that work for a short bit and than my battery is back to being dead in 10 hours. I work too much to deal with it... Flashed back to JellyBean and will just block the updater. Unless I get bored, that is where I will stay.

#294 Almighty1

Almighty1

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:09 PM

Is the time in NYC the same as the time in Washington D.C.?

You misunderstood what I was asking, sometimes they can keep the same version or build number but change stuff.  I only saw someone post the kernel and build dates for 183.46.14 soak in this thread in post #29 with a screenshot, not the 183.46.15 soak as I'm not sure exactly when it came out other than the OP was dated July 10, 2014, the OTA 183.46.15 has a July 29, 2014 timestamp on it, didn't the soak come out before that?

#295 Almighty1

Almighty1

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:17 PM

It has happened once.  With updates there is no way to be sure.  Each phone setup could be different.  I tried it because I had full fresh backups and felt like living dangeriously.  There have also been people that was stock and had updates brick their phone.  Once is by no means conformation.

As I did fastboot flash the 183.46.14 and 183.46.15 fsg.mbn modem patch files, just to be safe even if I didn't.  What I did was flash stock 183.46.10 first and then do the OTA update since it's not that hard to flash CWM/TWRP recovery + SuperSU to get root back, busybox install, SuperSU update to 2.01 in Play Store, copy resolv.conf, tcsh and bash in Root Explorer and run Xposed to reinstall and re-enable the modules.  

#296 Almighty1

Almighty1

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:25 PM

Checked it out for about 5 minutes.... Still getting the popping noise. They made key touches silent by default but didn't fix the popping. I continue to have battery issues on kitkat even though I make efforts that work for a short bit and than my battery is back to being dead in 10 hours. I work too much to deal with it... Flashed back to JellyBean and will just block the updater. Unless I get bored, that is where I will stay.

My battery never lasts more than 6 even under 4.1.2, haven't tested it in KK yet except I see KK is slow in battery charging at 1% per hour on a 1150maH charger.  I don't have the popping noise issue so that is not a issue for me.  As for the battery draining fast, that seems to be a issue with Google Play Services and wakelocks, all you need is Xposed with the NlpUnbounce module and it will fix that problem and the battery will last longer than JellyBean.

#297 smb5769

smb5769

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR HD, Droid Turbo

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:18 PM

It has happened once. With updates there is no way to be sure. Each phone setup could be different. I tried it because I had full fresh backups and felt like living dangeriously. There have also been people that was stock and had updates brick their phone. Once is by no means conformation.

I accidentally hit update now after a restart. Thankfully I was lucky.

#298 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,461 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 05:16 PM

You misunderstood what I was asking, sometimes they can keep the same version or build number but change stuff.  I only saw someone post the kernel and build dates for 183.46.14 soak in this thread in post #29 with a screenshot, not the 183.46.15 soak as I'm not sure exactly when it came out other than the OP was dated July 10, 2014, the OTA 183.46.15 has a July 29, 2014 timestamp on it, didn't the soak come out before that?

No I understood perfectly.  No, you are wrong about keeping the same build number and changing stuff.

• ibolski likes this

#299 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,461 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 02:38 AM

FXZ is coming soon. The m is also getting this pushed.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

• ibolski, livinginkaos, lifeasadroid and 1 other like this

#300 lifeasadroid

lifeasadroid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 03:03 AM

FXZ is coming soon. The m is also getting this pushed.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Good, because my POS phone STILL has not received the update notice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users