#61 Kimo91

Kimo91

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Google+:elton.k.sales@gmail.com
  • LocationGoose Creek, SC

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:03 AM

Here's another question about this ghost app...I opened up my manage apps settings and read what the SIM toolkit is supposed to do and 3 things cane to mind: "intercept calls", monitor SMS/mms, and pretty much monitor accounts. Why would this app need to do all this? I picked up those key words/phrases and just wondered why it would need to do all this.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

11.37KB   26 downloads

11.69KB   25 downloads

Sent from my rooted and Safe Strapped Motor DROID RAZR

#62 Mytchh

Mytchh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Locationhttp://www.se7ensins.com/forums/members/w-e-l-f-a-r-e.105411/

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:36 PM

Here's another question about this ghost app...I opened up my manage apps settings and read what the SIM toolkit is supposed to do and 3 things cane to mind: "intercept calls", monitor SMS/mms, and pretty much monitor accounts. Why would this app need to do all this? I picked up those key words/phrases and just wondered why it would need to do all this.

Well it's a system app used by the service provider. Those sort of privileges are kind of expected. I just don't understand why some users can use the app and others cannot.

#63 Armus

Armus

The Skin of Evil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:48 PM

in my rant with moto about the max, the person also mentioned he saw i was rooted. He could also pull up data on my battery life, connection times and other useage info (like when he said, "it's good that you usually charge your battery to 100%)

#64 Mytchh

Mytchh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 04:14 PM

in my rant with moto about the max, the person also mentioned he saw i was rooted. He could also pull up data on my battery life, connection times and other useage info (like when he said, "it's good that you usually charge your battery to 100%)

That's really odd. I wonder if they have an app or service that's installed that lets them record our information.
  • mbb350z likes this

#65 DarkestSpawn

DarkestSpawn

Tester

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:02 AM

Thats the reason that most of us want a pure google experience is to get away from moto and VZW's crap.
-Beta Mod-
-Grand Master of the Testing-

Posted Image

#66 jcutter347

jcutter347

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Twitter:@jcutter347
  • LocationSnook Alley, Florida

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:25 PM

In this case who really cares? If you arent doing anything wrong,you have nothing to worry about.! If being smart phone logging/tracking is an issue,I suggest you get rid of every device that has a cellular connection,data plan,GPS transmitter,or wifi receiver. I returned my Droid X that had been rooted for a defective 3.5mm headphone jack.I SBFed it before i returned it,but either way,they knew,and it had nothing to do with the problem...Thats the only rooted device I ever returned...Ive been paying assurion since my OG droid,and never used it,If i screw it up,Ill fix it or eat it.People not taking responsibility for there actions are whats caused this..people think they can repeatedly commit fraud and abuse the warranty/exchange system are hurting everyone in the long run,because excess internal costs and returns do get noticed,and investigated....When Moto/Verizon is spending millions every year refurbing devices,and 2 day shipping them,they will take corrective actions to save even 20% of that number...when devs released roms for the Razr,with no fastboot,some people dont read or care,they dont read instructions,they used bootstrapper instead of safestrap,and lo and behold,many were bootlooping...how many returned razrs alone werent defective? I wish they would backcharge them for a refurb device,sorry,but you are that dumb,you deserve it.We all pay for those who dont care,both in money and lost privacy,and more tracking..so thank you to everyone whp returned a device because you screwed it up,and couldnt be bothered to fix your mistakes..

I disagree... This is more than that. This is our government taking away our freedoms one step at a time. How many people are doing wrong things with their rooted devices? Come on man... If Asurion were taking actions, then I could see that. People root their devices to get the most out of it. If I spend $300 - $600 for something, I'm goping to do what I want with it. End of discussion. I'm hacking into the mainframe of the Secret Service. I'm a tax paying citizen, not a cyber criminal. I download from the market and Amazon app store. I don't watch movies, but I may have wanted to at some point. Who cares if someone is smarter than the manufacturer and can make the device work better? What they should be doing is putting us on the payroll so we can help make things even better. We should all pay close attention to this. Is personal privacy not something we all deserve? Do we want to have people looking and listening when we are eating dinner at the table? It may seem far fetched, but when the OG droid came out, so did all of this. Raw Dodge, I'm not saying that you are wrong... I just disagree. I know that I don't know everything, and that I may very well be wrong myself. This is just something that could lead to future problems for us if we aren't careful. I mean no offense to any other member or visitor to this site and my opinions are solely my own. I am for "US"!!!
  • jimyv likes this

#67 Kimo91

Kimo91

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Google+:elton.k.sales@gmail.com
  • LocationGoose Creek, SC

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:51 PM

This does concern a lot of people who don't like big brother looking over our shoulders with what we do. I know I don't like that feeling. Look at California, they passed a law that you can't smoke in your own house anymore without being arrested. People who refused to quit smoking got a wild hair up their asses and sued the tobacco industry blaming them as to why they can't/refused to quit smoking. Now look at us that spend good money, and a lot of people that's a weeks paycheck to buy the latest and greatest phone out there and now Verizon and Motorola wants to control what we do with our phones. Granted there are those out there that brick their phones and call Verizon to get a free replacement and there are others like me that will spend the $80 to pay the deductible and get it replaced through asurion. Sorry but I didn't see anywhere in my current contract with Verizon (or any cell provider as I used to be a sales rep for Sprint and AT&T) did it say that they have every right to go through your phone at any given time to see what you do with your phone, when you do it, and why you do it. We buy our phones so most of us can root and put a different ROM on it to make it run smoother, faster, and push the phone to its limits. That's our right as phone owners. Cell companies have way more to worry about than to monitor what we do with our phones. As another poster said, maybe companies like Motorola and Samsung should hire hackers/ROM builders and have them build a ROM that's perfect out of the box and keep crapware off the phones as that's one reason why people root their phones to begin with. If I wanted "my Verizon app" or "play golf" or madden on my phone I would go to the android market and download it plain and simple. Don't force useless crapware down my throat and definitely stay out of my phone. If you don't want us to tell you how to run your company, don't come in my house and tell me how to run my household.

Sent from my rooted and Safe Strapped Motor DROID RAZR
  • robertiv and jimyv like this

#68 Guest_DirtyDroidX_*

Guest_DirtyDroidX_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2012 - 02:06 PM

Here is the bottom line. You root your phone, you take on the responsibility of any software or hardware malfunctions. Who is to say the Rom, mod ect ect, did not cause your phones speaker or soft button to break. You don't. When the razr first came out I had 3 soft bricked devices from testing things. I went out and paid full retail for my mistakes. The other thing on the sim toolkit, yea moto logs what we do, when we do it and why we do it. Here is my take on the whole situation. WHO GIVES A RATS A$$. Mostly they do it for there research and development department. IE how to load new bloat on new phones, to see if we like a app or how it functions. And how to spam are phone more. So in the end this don't mean nothing to us. We are buying are phones threw VZW. If you do have a problem and take the phone back stock. You will get a new phone. So does it matter what moto or VZW knows . Nope. In my case vzw knows I'm a root user and so does moto. Moto can remote control any phones on the market. Plus you don't think all thevother companies do to? So this topic can go on and on,but in the end what you do with your device is your decision. Whatever happens to your phone may or may not be your fault but as rooted users we should take responsibility for our mistakes. I know the majority of you will not agree with me but, I'm a guy with the mentality of "I take responsibility for my actions" so if you want to rant and rave go ahead, but please agree to disagree,and keep it clean with keeping respect for other members.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
  • captmilk, Mytchh and jimyv like this

#69 DroidRazrAZ

DroidRazrAZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Twitter:konellaz
  • Google+:konellaz@gmail.com
  • LocationPDX 2 PHX

Posted 28 January 2012 - 02:16 PM

^^^ very well said!! ^^^

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

#70 Roo

Roo

Property of ArcaneXVI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationWyoming
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:05 PM

Glad I took the time to read all of this. I was under the assumption that if need be I could take everything back to stock with no evidence of root. I'm still not worried one way or another but its nice to know.

#71 Guest_DirtyDroidX_*

Guest_DirtyDroidX_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:12 PM

Glad I took the time to read all of this. I was under the assumption that if need be I could take everything back to stock with no evidence of root. I'm still not worried one way or another but its nice to know.

You can return your device unrooted and stock if you need them to look at it for something, if you catch my drift ;)

#72 Mytchh

Mytchh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:16 PM

You can return your device unrooted and stock if you need them to look at it for something, if you catch my drift ;)

But the problem is that I think they might be able to know if we have been rooted at a previous point. Sometimes Verizon or other service providers can handle repairs/exchanges, but I'm not sure if Motorola will share their information in order to crack down on not allowing users replace their modified/previously modified devices..

#73 Roo

Roo

Property of ArcaneXVI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationWyoming

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:34 PM

But the problem is that I think they might be able to know if we have been rooted at a previous point. Sometimes Verizon or other service providers can handle repairs/exchanges, but I'm not sure if Motorola will share their information in order to crack down on not allowing users replace their modified/previously modified devices..

I thought I read earlier someone had posted its not legal for Moto. to share info like that with Verizon... Cant tell if legit,,,,or verizon rep trolling! :) In all seriousness though have you heard anything about that being the case?

#74 Raw Dodge

Raw Dodge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:35 PM

I don't like any of this either but the fact remains that we will be monitored using these things.... We are giving up our privacy for convenience... Look at credit cards and ATMs, Ez pass, PayPal, cell phones,surveillance cameras ...Even the shopping cards we use to get a discount at the grocery store ... They are all used against you whenever it's needed by law enforcement....I've seriously considered getting rid of my data plan altogether and just getting a basic phone and a small mobile hotspot with a 5 gb cap... This way I can use my tablet, iPod touch any of my droids and have a cheap phone... Id save a lot of money over 2 smartphones ...and not have to worry about if I'm rooted or if I need 100 mb on my tablet that I'm stealing it from one of my 2 data plans that cost me 60 a month for and I use 1-3gb....

#75 Guest_DirtyDroidX_*

Guest_DirtyDroidX_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:59 PM

To my knowledge the info is not shared with VZW. Don't quote me on that. I do no for a fact many ppl taking back there phones Stock and not being asked one question.

#76 Mytchh

Mytchh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:49 PM

To my knowledge the info is not shared with VZW. Don't quote me on that. I do no for a fact many ppl taking back there phones Stock and not being asked one question.

I understand that, however if you were to have a hardware issue that would need to be dealt with Motorola fixing the device, they may deny your for voiding the warranty. Especially if you contact Motorola directly about the issue.

#77 Roo

Roo

Property of ArcaneXVI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationWyoming

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:10 AM

I just did some quick searching and I can't find anything on motos privacy policy regarding sharing info with Verizon. I guess its up in the air, so to be safe I will stick to going to Verizon with any issues that may come up! If anyone can find anything that can be confirmed I would love to know, just out of curiosity.

#78 DarkestSpawn

DarkestSpawn

Tester

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:43 AM

I just did some quick searching and I can't find anything on motos privacy policy regarding sharing info with Verizon. I guess its up in the air, so to be safe I will stick to going to Verizon with any issues that may come up! If anyone can find anything that can be confirmed I would love to know, just out of curiosity.

They share info like usage type info (Apps, etc), not personal data (Numbers, Wifi access points, etcs.) but the problem is VZW has apps that will collect info that which is not shared from Google or Moto. As to what exact info idk, knowing them its every single thing in between a bootup to a shutdown.
  • Roo likes this
-Beta Mod-
-Grand Master of the Testing-

Posted Image

#79 Mytchh

Mytchh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:16 AM

They share info like usage type info (Apps, etc), not personal data (Numbers, Wifi access points, etcs.) but the problem is VZW has apps that will collect info that which is not shared from Google or Moto. As to what exact info idk, knowing them its every single thing in between a bootup to a shutdown.

My main interest is figuring out what app or service Motorola or Verizon uses to collect the information.

#80 nickphx

nickphx

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:54 AM

My main interest is figuring out what app or service Motorola or Verizon uses to collect the information.

It's probably the 'motorola services' service that runs.. It maintains a connection to their servers. I know the app also does other things, I haven't taken it apart to see what all it does though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users