Developer

• Developer
  • 727 posts
  • Twitter:afox2015

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:36 PM

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

75.46KB   39 downloads

Recently, I was using a Droid DNA and one thing was missing from that phone. The one thing missing from that phone was a huge battery to last me all day. The Droid Razr Maxx HD by Motorola was my answer. The Maxx HD has the largest battery in the world of smartphones but is it the right phone for you?

Overview
The Droid Razr Maxx HD is sporting the specs of 2012.
-1.5 ghz Snapdragon S4 processor
-1 gb of DDR3 Ram
-720p Super Amoled display at ~316ppi
-3300 mAh battery quoted at 32 hours of talk time
- Android 4.1.1 Jellybean with Moto Blur UI
- Verizon 4G LTE
- 32 GB Internal Storage
- Micro HDMI
- Headphone Jack
-NFC
-8 MP rear camera and a 1.3 MP front facing camera
-Micro SD Card Slot

User Interface

As of recent the Motorola Droid Razr HD was updated to 4.1.1 Jellybean. This recent update has brought the Motorola Droid Razr HD Maxx a whole new life. Motorola really cut down their custom ui and brought back that true aosp feel. The people's application is no longer themed and I have to say I am thankful of this. Now, with this update comes a lot more bloatware. Verizon has added in their Amazon Suite. They include every Amazon application but the Amazon App Store. These applications though do not take away from the beauty that is called Blur. The Blur UI is the least intrusive OEM skin. It adds the needed features to the phone like the favorite widget and the quick settings. I personally like Blur now that it isn't taking away from the natural beauty of Android. The included browser is Chrome. Chrome is the browser that Google is pushing but until they get rid of the lag that this brings I recommend downloading a third party browser. When using a third party browser the phone flies through the webpage and renders it quickly thanks to the 1.5 ghz processor. The lockscreen offers 4 different chooses that can not be changed. The four options are messaging, camera, unlock, and phone. This makes it fast to get from the lockscreen to one of those task. Also, included in the Motorola UI is a application called Smart Actions. Smart Actions is just as the name says Smart. The application can use gps to go to a certain profile like silent or loud and even turn off data, WiFi, Bluetooth, and etc without you doing it manually. The only thing you have to do is setup the rule and what conditions must be met for that rule to take into place. I personally have it set to when I get to work to go to my loud profile so I don't miss any calls. The only complaint I have is that the phone doesn't have an option to give me a battery percentage or pulldown toggles like the LG Optimus G and Note 2. I would love to have those built in so I don't have to download applications to do that. Also, the soft keys in the 4.1.1 has been reverted to the stock look which keeps the pure AOSP look.

Camera

The camera on the Razr HD Maxx is nothing special. The camera is an 8mp camera that can record videos in 1080p. The shots are average for a smartphone camera. It takes terrible pictures in low light situations but takes excellent pictures in well lighted situations. Videos were great and audio was clear.

720.52KB   37 downloads

990.04KB   43 downloads

1.7MB   48 downloads

2.11MB   45 downloads

2.44MB   40 downloads

1.42MB   39 downloads

Performance

The Droid Razr Maxx HD is one of the top performing smartphones of 2012. The 1.5 ghz Snapdragon processor handles every task with easy and the 1gb of DDR3 ram allows for smooth multitasking. In everyday use, the HD will match any phone available. The phone excels when it came to benchmarks and I was not surprised. I ran multiple heavy cpu and gpu games such as Need For Speed and Grand Theft Auto and I saw no lag but I did notice some dropped frames. The HD also excelled in web browsing and handling heavy java websites. The great cpu combined with Verizon's amazing LTE service made downloading and browsing the web fast and smooth.

141.15KB   32 downloads

384.57KB   25 downloads

135.31KB   25 downloads

Call Quality and Signal Strength

Call quality was above average as people said that I sounded very clear and there was no background noise. I was able to hold calls in normal dead areas. I was averaging -75dbm on 4G which is very strong for my area. I was also getting an average download speed of 16mb down and 9mb up.

Battery life

The Droid Razr Maxx HD by far has the best battery life of any LTE phone I have ever used. During a heavy usage day, I am able to get 5-6 hours of display time and 13 hours of usage. This for any phone is amazing. When I used the HD on strictly WiFi I got 9-10 hours of display time with 19 hours of usage. This phone is the must have phone for media and power users.

Conclusion

In my opinion, the Droid Razr Maxx HD is the perfect smartphone for the average user. The Snapdragon processor and the 3300 mAh battery bring the best smartphones to their knees. This phone will last any user a full day and can handle any application that is available today. Other Companies need to take a look at the Maxx HD and see that they should follow with the larger batteries. I personally will be using this phone as my Daily Driver and I hope Verizon will continue this line of phones in the future. I will be heart broken when I have to return this phone as I am a heavy battery hog and this will be my next phone.

Where to buy

none Maxx
  • mugsy77 and eyecre8 like this

#2 papi92

papi92

Developer

• Developer
  • 727 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

If you have questions let me know. I'll be returning the phone soon. Thanks

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 2

#3 Pego99

Pego99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:31 AM

I'm waiting for the Motorola Droid Razr Maxx HD II with a much improved camera. Anyone know what the next Motorola Droid flagship will arrive?

#4 jimboslice

jimboslice

Droid Master

• Developer
  • 315 posts
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:20 AM

^what?

I actually feel much better about the camera after comparing it iPhone 5 camera. That camera is god awful lol.

I also noticed an improved quality when I installed the nexus 4 camera as well. But the stock camera is definitely underwhelming.

#5 papi92

papi92

Developer

• Developer
  • 727 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:54 AM

The camera hasn't changed since the Droid X. That is my main problem with it. They aren't even trying to compete with Samsung and HTC when it comes to picture quality. Motorola could do more and I hope they will.

#6 trikotret

trikotret

Droid Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr HD

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:51 AM

Is it really worth upgrading to this phone from OG Maxx?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#7 Pego99

Pego99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:12 AM

^what?

I actually feel much better about the camera after comparing it iPhone 5 camera. That camera is god awful lol.

I also noticed an improved quality when I installed the nexus 4 camera as well. But the stock camera is definitely underwhelming.

What camera is god awful? The iPhone 5 camera is awful? Wrong!! The best feature of the iPhone 5 is the camera!! I do like my Droid Razr Maxx but the camera could be better. The camera in the Razr HD Maxx is better though but not up to the iPhone 5 camera especially in low light.

#8 papi92

papi92

Developer

• Developer
  • 727 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:25 PM

IMHO no. Wait a little if you can. I'd recommended the Droid DNA just because of the true upgrade. Quad core. 2gb of ram. 1080p screen. And more.
Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

#9 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:33 PM

IMHO no. Wait a little if you can. I'd recommended the Droid DNA just because of the true upgrade. Quad core. 2gb of ram. 1080p screen. And more.

My thoughts exactly. This is why I went with the DNA. If I was gonna burn an upgrade while the HD is a nice phone I wanted a bigger leap from my OG Razr.

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#10 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:44 PM

My thoughts exactly. This is why I went with the DNA. If I was gonna burn an upgrade while the HD is a nice phone I wanted a bigger leap from my OG Razr.

Well sure if you're limited to 1 upgrade per 2 years... :P Those of us that have 15 year old accounts have a different set of rules to follow lol... Upgrades every 6-9 months? Yup :P

Posted Image

Become a supporting member and help, get a DEV a phone, by going HERE

Please take the time to read our forum rules and guidelines.

#11 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:58 PM

Well sure if you're limited to 1 upgrade per 2 years... :P Those of us that have 15 year old accounts have a different set of rules to follow lol... Upgrades every 6-9 months? Yup :P

I hear ya... I do have a few more upgrades although I am regretting turning my Step-daughter into a techie. I still stand by that I wanted a change from what I had. Upgrade or not. Thinking back I went OG Driod -> HTC T-Bolt -> OG Razr -> HTC Droid DNA. So I guess I will be back to Moto next. :D

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#12 trikotret

trikotret

Droid Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr HD

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:15 PM

I'll wait it out. I have an upgrade on Saturday

#13 Pego99

Pego99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:20 PM

I have been with them for 15 years but have never heard of this. What is this program called that allows unlimited 6-9 month upgrades? Unlimited data too?

#14 Pego99

Pego99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:42 PM

The DNA has 3 problems for me: HTC, 16 Gig no SD slot, sealed weak battery. I will wait for the HD Maxx 2.

#15 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:12 PM

I have been with them for 15 years but have never heard of this. What is this program called that allows unlimited 6-9 month upgrades? Unlimited data too?

Having multiple lines... Some with dummy phones and others who are not tech freaks like us and need upgrades every 15 minutes...

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#16 papi92

papi92

Developer

• Developer
  • 727 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:28 PM

Battery life is amazing on DNA bc of s4pro

• Memnoch73 likes this

#17 Pego99

Pego99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:55 PM

Having multiple lines... Some with dummy phones and others who are not tech freaks like us and need upgrades every 15 minutes...

Thats funny. There really is no such plan though.

#18 jimboslice

jimboslice

Droid Master

• Developer
  • 315 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:30 AM

What camera is god awful? The iPhone 5 camera is awful? Wrong!! The best feature of the iPhone 5 is the camera!! I do like my Droid Razr Maxx but the camera could be better. The camera in the Razr HD Maxx is better though but not up to the iPhone 5 camera especially in low light.

I don't see how I'm wrong just from an objective comparison. I literally had them side by side and compared. I do agree that the camera on this isn't very good. Luckily I never take pictures :)

#19 jimboslice

jimboslice

Droid Master

• Developer
  • 315 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:31 AM

I don't think so. The only reason why I went to my HD from my og was because I broke my og, went to an s3, hated it, then traded it in for my HD.

#20 papi92

papi92

Developer

• Developer
  • 727 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:18 PM

See my daily drivers are the Note 2 and DNA. Nexus 4 is my toy. And yes I have all three but bc I finally sold my 2011 phones; galaxy nexus; note; and transformer prime. Which I recommended to all. I only buy phones in December every year bc middle of the year phones are meh bc they are in between the transition period of technology.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Motorola, Android, Verizon

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users