1212 replies to this topic

#781 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:34 PM

superuser

there is where you are getting the error..... you should have installed Voodoo's OTA rootkeeper (per the OP instructions).... you can be sure that there are people working on the various "fixes" and working on getting root..... but for now, i do believe i could be wrong but, you will not be able to re-root or restore root....

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#782 cbr929

cbr929

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationPA
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:35 PM

just downloaded the JB update, my phone is the same as it was before the update except for having JB, all my apps are there and kept root with voodoo, also I thought that verizon wasn't putting alot of their bloatware in the update, what aps can I delete without messing anything up on the phone, i know some apps are needed for the phone to work but just wanted to delete some that are not needed.

#783 foxisbubba

foxisbubba

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:40 PM

My post says Voodoo OTA Root keeper.... not Superuser temp unroot.

Surprised it didn't work?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

nope, my fault totally. I actually lost root after using temp unroot on superuser, so I tried to just start over with the JB upgrade, to no avail.

there is where you are getting the error..... you should have installed Voodoo's OTA rootkeeper (per the OP instructions).... you can be sure that there are people working on the various "fixes" and working on getting root..... but for now, i do believe i could be wrong but, you will not be able to re-root or restore root....

I guess I will just hang in there until then. I also received an adb error (and the I/O) are they related?

#784 noamparn

noamparn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

I haven't really heard much discussion about the kernel version (this build uses version 3.0.8, which is ICS, not the 3.0.31 that JB is supposedly based on).
I guess I don't really understand the difference between the "build" version and the "kernel" version. What makes it JB, the kernel, or everything else?

Based on the version number, it seems like this is an ICS kernel. I'm not asking WHY they released it (all signs point to that being an accident), but why would they even MAKE a build that *looks* like JB, but is running the ICS kernel? Should they really be calling it JB if it is still running off the ICS kernel?

I don't know anything about building custom ROMS, but how hard would it be to replace the ICS kernel in this build with the "real" JB one?

#785 joelcableguy

joelcableguy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

I absolutely was forced into the update. My phone took it as an OTA download, not initiated by me. Every time I booted after that I got the prompt to apply the update.

And I'm not complaining- just sharing my experience for others. I think some may want to know for instance that the weather app (among others) are gone with this update.

Lol still no one forced you to push the apply button was my point :D

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

#786 atlbravesfalcs7

atlbravesfalcs7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:58 PM

Okay so I've never used the Motorola boot loader before. Does the caution symbol over the open android go away when you're rooted? And does it matter where you put the update on your external storage?

If the questions have already been answered, my apologies.

#787 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:06 PM

Okay so I've never used the Motorola boot loader before. Does the caution symbol over the open android go away when you're rooted? And does it matter where you put the update on your external storage?

If the questions have already been answered, my apologies.

if you are referring to "Andy" laying on his back before you go into stock recovery, he will always be there before you press volume up plus volume down to go into recovery..... as for the location of the update zip.... as long as it is on the root of your external sdcard you should be ok...
  • atlbravesfalcs7 likes this

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#788 jtelander

jtelander

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:28 PM

No low power "sleep" option is the only thing I'm missing so far with JB

#789 sternyy

sternyy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:33 PM

Has anyone noticed that your sdcard and sdcard-ext are not mounted after apply the update? I can open up the camera up but can not take any pictures because it states nothing is mounted.

#790 mgrimmenator

mgrimmenator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:48 PM

thx for the info matt, worked flawlessly for me. much appreciated work.

#791 sternyy

sternyy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

after a whole bunch of reboots and trying to use the root restore program now it works fine. really weird.

#792 Techno

Techno

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationOregon

Noob question: If I have safestrap installed, flashed a few ROMs (safe side of course) What is the procedure to update to JB without using Matt's utility? my common sense tells me to do the following: 1. Toggle back to stock (.211) 2. Disable/remove Safestrap 3. Download the official OTA 4. Use Vodoo to keep my root 5. Update Razr to JB Will that work?

Did not work for me... I used those steps, and got:

Assert failed: File_getprop(“/system/build.prop”, “ro.build.fingerprint”) == “veriaon/spyder_vzw/cdma_spyder:4.0.4/6.7.2-180_DHD-16_M4-31/37:user/release-keys 11 file_getprop(“system/build.prop”, “ro.build.fingerprint”) == “motorola/xT912_verizon/cdma_spyder:4.1.2/9.8.20-72_VZW-8/26:user/release-keys”

Techno
I brew the beer I drink.

#793 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:54 PM

Did not work for me... I used those steps, and got:

Assert failed: File_getprop(“/system/build.prop”, “ro.build.fingerprint”) == “veriaon/spyder_vzw/cdma_spyder:4.0.4/6.7.2-180_DHD-16_M4-31/37:user/release-keys 11 file_getprop(“system/build.prop”, “ro.build.fingerprint”) == “motorola/xT912_verizon/cdma_spyder:4.1.2/9.8.20-72_VZW-8/26:user/release-keys”

Techno

you aren't on 6.16.211....

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#794 trpt

trpt

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:58 PM

Lol still no one forced you to push the apply button was my point :D

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

Well. I got tired of pushing cancel to postpone the update. The recurring prompt is relentless until you actually do apply the update.

#795 kr8os71

kr8os71

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:01 PM

I may get bashed or scolded for this comment but....... I love it when someone can admit their own mistakes... and are willing to live peacefully with the results of that mistake... :) thank you that is very refreshing

I've seen plenty of forums go to hell b/c of all the whining and finger pointing, it's like a bunch of kids got cut loose without supervision. That being said, I think that we can all appreciate the time and effort people put into making our phones better and sharing that knowledge. I don't often post in any forum, not because I don't want to help or assist, but because I read all of these posts and it seems like people don't know how to read/follow directions. So you can call me a troll if you want, but I prefer to stay in the background and only come out when I feel it's absolutely necessary to say/ask/contribute something. Once again, thanks to all the developers/hackers/etc that make this a great community.
  • jtelander, mixerpilot, abtmo1 and 2 others like this

#796 jtelander

jtelander

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:02 PM

Well. I got tired of pushing cancel to postpone the update. The recurring prompt is relentless until you actually do apply the update.

Or until you delete the downloaded update file ;)

#797 dkahs23

dkahs23

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:15 PM

I don't know but I just want my "Circle Battery - Percentage" back in my statusbar.... :o

Any how-to on that?

Anyone who wants the Circle Widgets info go here..

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#798 twinsfan1313

twinsfan1313

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Google+:https://plus.google.com/117209965152223481391/posts
  • LocationFair Oaks, Ca.
  • Current Device(s):Galaxy Note 2

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:21 PM

Updated root fixer....

this is what i get Matt

"Have drivers installed, phone connected, and USB Debuggin
r Options."
mount: Operation not permitted
276 KB/s (91992 bytes in 0.325s)
1163 KB/s (1020803 bytes in 0.857s)
cp: /system/xbin/su: Read-only file system
cp: /system/app/Superuser.apk: Read-only file system
Unable to chmod /system/xbin/su: Read-only file system
Unable to chmod /system/app/Superuser.apk: Read-only file s
rm failed for /system/bin/su, Read-only file system
"Rebooting..."
uid=2000(shell) gid=2000(shell) groups=1003(graphics),1004(
(mount),1011(adb),1015(sdcard_rw),1028(sdcard_r),3001(net_b
,3003(inet),3006(net_bw_stats)
If the above id shows 0 then you are rooted. Press any key

Thanks for the help.

#799 abelr1978

abelr1978

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Google+:abelr78

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

What would happen if I installed this update twice? Im trying to get rid of superuser all together since I screwed up during my initial install.

#800 Techno

Techno

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

you aren't on 6.16.211.... Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

I was like, 'Oh yes I am!' and pulled up the about phone screen to find that I did indeed upgrade to .214. Forgot all about that...
Thanks for pointing out my basic, obvious error. Well, THERE's your problem!

Techno
I brew the beer I drink.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users