ciprianv

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationItaly
  • Current Device(s):DROID Max hd

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:07 AM

Hi! This is my METHOD to gain ROOT for Motorola Droid Razr Maxx HD XT926m that is already updated to the last version of KitKat 4.4.2 (System version "183.46.15.XT926.Verizon.en.US").

Normally, only the version "183.46.10" (or "182.46.10") can support root: you wiil read this on all the sites. The version "183.46.15" doesn't support root and can't be downgraded to an earlier version in order to gain root. But I found out a method to downgrade it and I will share with you the trick. My XT926m had an unlocked bootloader (ICS 4.0.4) and I flashed via RSD Lite the last stock firmware, "183.46.15"... After that, I was totally unhappy, because I read that this firmware version don't support root...
But now, after I 'created' this method, my phone is again rooted... Enjoy the steps!

1. Download the files "VZW_XT926_4.4.2-KDA20.62-10.1_CFC_1FF.xml" and "VZW_XT926_4.4.2-KDA20.62-15.1_CFC_1FF.xml" from the Motorola firmware site: "

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

2. Unpack the files...
3. Substitute/replace the "gpt", "tz" files (FROM the folder with "15.1" version TO the folder with "10.1" version)... You should replace all the files that "RSD Lite" will tell you that don't fit when you try to flash the new stock firmware. You will obtain a MODIFIED version of "183.46.10" stock KitKAt 4.4.2 firmware!!!
4. Flash this MODIFIED "10.1" firmware with "RSD Lite v6.1.5 Multi-Flash" (without using Rsd Script Generator.jar)
5. Download from Play Store and install the "Towel Root.apk" and root the phone...
6. Now your phone should be rooted. Download from the Play Store and install "Superuser.apk" made by ClockWordMode and after reboot the application will ask you to update SU binary. In my case, the SU binary didn't support an online update and I installed the "Superuser.zip" file downloaded from the ClockWorkMode site, via recovery method, in order to gain this update (you can do this as well, if you already have a TWRP or CWM recovery installed on your phone). With the other version of superuser, like "SuperSU.apk" or "Superuser.apk" ("eu.chainfire.supersu-2.apk", the last version, 5.6mb, for example) you will need to follow the same steps...
7. Using "Total Commander.apk", you can go to "File System root"/"Etc"/"installrecovery.sh", and finally rename this last file... Or you can use "ES3 File Explorer.apk" in order to rename the same "installrecovery.sh" file in "Device"/"Etc" folder (choose, for example, the name "installrecovery.shbak")...
8. Flash with "Flashify.apk" (downloaded form PLay Store) a new "recovery img.": "TWRP.img" (2.8.3.0) or "CWM.img" (6.0.4.8) for KitKat... You can find them on "

"...
9. If you flashed "TWPR recovery.img" you will need to install "Stericson.busybox-1.apk" (from Play Store...), because TWRP works with this busy box... (You could install "TWRP.apk" as well, but you must be careful, because you will need to ne able boot in recovery mode directly from your phone (with the combination key), not from this app... Many times, the phone is able to boot into recovery mode from TWRP application, but not from the bootloader... That's why it is better to uninstall TWRP application if you have this problem). If you flashed a "CWM.img" you can install "RomManager.apk".
10.Now it is the time to backup your system to SD card!
11.Now you should try to unblock your bootloader, if your phone is still locked... You can use "Motopocalypse.zip" file from your computer or "Motopocalypse.apk" from your phone, but I don't kknow if it works because my phone was already unlocked...
12. That't it!... I hope that you can now flash whatever ROM you want!!! :)
  • kaleidoscopeky likes this

#2 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:23 AM

Please try not to cross post this into multiple threads.... Thank you

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#3 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:25 AM

Heres where you are wrong.....The .15 version DOES support root.... if you are unlocked, you do not need to use a root exploit.... You can simply flash TWRP recovery and root from there.
There is also another root method out there called Hydrogen Peroxide, some have said they have had success rooting an LOCKED phone with it, some have not.....

As far as replacing the GPT and TZ partitions and flashing on a LOCKED device, I'm pretty sure it will not work.... And you will end up with a bricked or soft bricked device....

jhf.png

#4 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,461 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:44 AM

That's a long method for something so very unnecessary.  It boils down to this:

o) Unlocked - install TWRP, boot into TWRP, upon reboot it'll prompt you to install root.  Install supersu from the play store.  done

o) Locked - Your method will brick their phone, even if you try replacing the gpt and tz partitions with the 15 versions.  That's pointless anyway....simply don't flash them, but, nothing else will downgrade, either, so you'll be left with a soft brick and required to flash 15 again to fix it.  So, it's pointless.  

Beyond that, if you want to downgrade an unlocked version for whatever reason, none of that is necessary.  Simply remove the gpt and tz flash lines from the rsd script in the version you're downgrading to and have at it.  Or use my tools to automate the whole thing.

• rickw, johnthehillbilly, cmh714 and 3 others like this

Non potest esse nisi unus

#5 JaySwift

JaySwift

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 06:04 PM

The xt926 with locked bootloader can be rooted just can't unlock the bootloader . The instuctions to ro are found here 

. Idid it and it works . Hydrogen_Peroxide_1.0.1 xt926 is a must . If it doesn't end in xt926 it will fail every time . Believe me , I know .

#6 grnsl2

grnsl2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 10:49 AM

It boils down to this:

o) Unlocked - install TWRP...
o) Locked - Your method will brick their phone...

...Or use my tools to automate the whole thing.

:rolleyes: Now, why ya gotta be so practical ? Lol

#7 JaySwift

JaySwift

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 04:53 PM

You won't brick your phone if all you want is root . I actually tried to unlock the bootloader and it didn't brick the phone , it just failed to flash recovery . To root follow this :

Download hydrogen Peroxide xt926 from here:

or

Download VZW_XT926_4.4.2-KDA20.62-15.1_CFC_1FF.xml.zip from here :

1. Open VZW_XT926_4.4.2-KDA20.62-15.1_CFC_1FF.xml inside the zip and remove all LINES with the word "var" . There are only two .
2. Put phone in fastboot mode
3. Flash zip with RSD Lite v6.1.4 or higher
4. After flashing restart device and install and run hydrogen Peroxide xt 926 . follow all onscreen
instructions , and you're rooted .

Note : hydrogen Peroxide xt 926 will install Towel Root 3. Device must be connected to the internet while towel root is running.
This will root the xt926 but still will not unlock the bootloader

• 2late4me and Nellis21 like this

#8 apickupman

apickupman

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:49 AM

all of this is done on the phone

#9 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,461 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:53 AM

no

#10 apickupman

apickupman

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 02:20 AM

didnt work after i rermoved the word var and tied to flash got error message "file format wrong or image files missing"

#11 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,461 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 02:29 AM

It didn't say to remove the word var. It said to remove the line. Always read, read again, and read one more time before doing.
  • rickw, JaySwift and Nellis21 like this

#12 JaySwift

JaySwift

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 08:55 PM

Reading is fundamental

#13 mozart

mozart

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Current Device(s):motorola Droid 4; Razr M; Droid Mini

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:45 AM

I have in XML. no sentences with the word var.

#14 JaySwift

JaySwift

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:17 PM

When you open the XML look under "<steps interface="AP">" . The first two lines will contain the word "var" . If they don't you either downloaded the wrong zip or your download either did not complete or for some reason is corupted.

Ihave already removed them and didn't save the origonal . I was going to re-download it to give you the exact lines but the motofirmware site is down right now

#15 mozart

mozart

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 02:35 AM

I downloaded the file from a China or Japan page!

Here is the requested records are now inside.

Now i proceed as descibed in #7 ?

Than I have root, no open Bootloader, right ?

and can not install Custom Rom?

#16 Nellis21

Nellis21

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas
  • Current Device(s):Motorola Razor MAXX HD

Posted 03 April 2015 - 03:13 AM

MotoFirmwarecenter no workie for me. :( Been trying to D/L the VZW_XT926_4.4.2-KDA20.62-15.1_CFC_1FF.xml.zip from DrDevs but its stuck at Verifying download. Going to go to bed and check agian in the morning. Has anyone verified that this works? I've been at it for a while now with no success. Hydrogen peroxide V 1.0.0.1 works but towelroot gives "device not supported" When I try to use Hydrogen Peroxide v 1.0.0.5  IT reboots to AP fastboot stating: Failed Flash. Any help guys?

Droid Razor MAXX HD

183.46.15.XT926

#17 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 03 April 2015 - 05:47 AM

we have the FXZ on our site: 

And yes many have used this method and it seems to work. I cant speak from experience since I was unlocked already.

GL.

• JaySwift and Nellis21 like this

#18 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 05:51 AM

Drdevs is up and down right now..... doing maintenance.... If the DL does not work right away, try again....
  • cmh714 and Nellis21 like this

jhf.png

#19 mozart

mozart

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 12:42 AM

Towelroot says no!

What is the App "CVE-2014..." ?

pressing this is all black.

#20 Nellis21

Nellis21

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas
  • Current Device(s):Motorola Razor MAXX HD

Posted 05 April 2015 - 08:52 PM

I'm going to attempt this tonight or tomorrow. Life has gotten in the way this weekend. I'll let you guys know my results.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 183.46.15 downgrade, XT926, kitkat 4.4.2 183.46.15, motorola maxx hd kitkat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users