n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationIsla Vista, CA
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S4 & Galaxy Tab 2 10.1

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

Thanks for the contest!!!!

I got the Bionic due to it dual core and all around good specs with the removable battery.

Don
  • livinginkaos likes this

S4 JB 4.2.2  .......................... No Matter where I go there I am!

#62 T3T3droid

T3T3droid

D3v3lop3r/Th3m3r/Machin3

• Developer
  • 1,115 posts
  • Google+:t3t3droid@gmail.com
  • LocationConnecticut
  • Current Device(s):Droid Bionic, Droid Razr M, SGS4

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

This is awesome guys!

There were a bunch of reasons why I got the Bionic! First, of course, was it being the first dual core Lte phone on Verizon. I also loved the size...no offense to the Razr or its users, but I like it to feel like I have a phone in my hand and not a pop-tart ;) All the other phones I tried out seemed too flimsy, like i could snap it in half. The Gorilla Glass was also a big selling point for me cause I always drop my phone lol. Dual flash, believe it or not, was sooo exciting for me...wanted clear clear pics! Removable battery, to me, is a no brainer for a phone...why devices are being made with non-removable is beyond me. I stuck with the Bionic through its ups and downs because I knew its potential! It's an incredibly killer phone with tons of power that I knew just hadn't been let out yet. Once the ICS OTA finally came out I was done with any lingering negative thoughts and knew I had made the right choice in hanging in there! Of course HoB made it so I could preview said potential :D I dev for the Bionic as well so that shows my devotion to it! Thanks and good luck to all!

IcarusHD...The flying Bionic!
Posted Image
Sig by Bama
If you like our work please consider
Donating towards
Phones and Site costs :D Thanks!!

#63 michagin

michagin

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

I got the phone as soon as it came out.... It was the first 4g verizon phone.... with the dual core and all the bells and whistles, i had all the data connection issues and decided to root and go custom, all the fun with a new phone by just downloading a new roms keeps it new to me.... (that and my unlimited plan) LOL
  • Int_Rnd_Pooka and livinginkaos like this

#64 Brutus06

Brutus06

Drunken Monk Brewery

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Google+:leereitz12@gmail.com
  • LocationSouth Dakota
  • Current Device(s):Bionic(retired), Lenovo Tablet, Moto G

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

Edit: I already have the lapdock. It is awesome to use it and connect into work and fix problems before I get there in the morning.
Please put me in for the Extended Battery or the Otterbox case!

How do you like the lapdock? I have a case but never use it, I hate how the cases collect dirty in them. I have the extended battery to use when I need. The battery and the case are really nice when you do need them.

#65 nycqns983

nycqns983

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Bionic

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

Well thats an easy question... I chose the Bionic becase at the time, it was the most powerful BEAST of an android device on Verizon's network...and why did I stay with it? Well, I stayed with it because both Verizon and Motorolla have done such a great job with making this phone the best it can be...SIKE! I have stayed with this phone for one reason only. The developers....they have turned a powerful phone that was also wracked with bugs, crashes, headaches, and poor support into a device to be reckoned with. I have only used stock software to upgrade...and then its back to a rom...thanks to every single one of the many wonderful developers out there who has turned a lemon into lemonade with this one!

#66 droidxd00d

droidxd00d

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

I got the bionic the day it came out because my OG Droid with the cracked screen wasn't cutting it anymore. The bionic was the superphone we had all been waiting a long for, It had dual core, LTE, 1 GB of Ram, a 4.3 inch screen. It had everything I could have wanted at the time. I almost have gotten rid of it a few times, during the fiasco with leaked builds (before house of bionic lol!), dealing with the constant data drops on Gingerbread, when the new superphones started arriving (The GSIII, Maxx HD, Note II) but theres just something special about this phone that won't let me go. It seems like of all the phones that were released around the same time as the bionic it was the best one. The development community is bustling these days and the roms are high quality stuff! The community is great and I think I am keeping this one until the next great phone comes around. Hopefully the new xphone is everything im making it to be in my head! But I would love to get an extended battery for this thing and really put it to the test! But if I am a winner who draws for the dock please pass it on to the next person, as I already have one and wouldn't want to deny someone the satisfaction.

#67 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

Antidisestablishmentarianist

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/JohnLGalt
  • Location3rd Rock
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 4 XL 128 GB

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:24 AM

I'm removing myself from the contest even if I can enter - I'd rather let someone else win who needs it. If my name is drawn, please redraw.

With that said, I'd like to answer this anyway.

I bought the BIONIC for 4 main reasons.

• It was a Motorola device, and I was profoundly happy with my OG Droid, which I have with me right here, trying to decide what to do with it. Plus, Motorola has always had a great track record with hardware, which leads to:
  • It has an in-house developed LTE radio. Again, Motorola = Good hardware, so....
  • Rumors were afloat before it's drop day that the bootloader may be unlockable, unlike previous locked devices from Moto.
  • Rumors were floating about that the next gen Moto device would not have removable batteries. Unless the device could handle my hundreds of apps, tens of accounts, and allow me to use the device extremely heavily and get more than 16 hours of use out of it, i would NEVER by a device where my only recourse would be to plug it in somewhere.

Now, as to why I kept it - several reasons.

• I actually like the device, even though my upgrade to ICS left me with the original stock clocks of 1.0 GHz - it's a nice size, it works, and it's beast on ICS in my area, and pretty good at conserving battery using WiFi at home.
  • I'm grandfathered into unlimited data, and I'll need to pay full retail (or buy an unsubsidized device, new / used, from a retailer) in order to upgrade
  • The camera in ICS actually outperforms my Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS25 in a number of features, even though the Lumix has a higher pixel rating. Picture quality is great, every bit as good as the Lumix....
  • I have 2 stock batteries and 2 extended batteries for this phone plus the external battery charger. I have spare batteries even if I forget to charge any for a day. Perfect example: I'm currently on vacation in Hawai'i, and this week we're staying in Mauna Lani Resorts, in a rented condo. In this condo, in all the bedrooms, every top power outlet is controlled by the light switch - IOW, they only operate when the light is on. I'm using that wonderful camera I just gushed about earlier for picture and videos on this trip, so I need spares. I plugged everything up, wet to bed, woke up...and realized that nothing was charged. Also noticed that there were no charge indicators. I rectified the situation by moving my power strip to the lower outlet and let my extended battery charge for as long as possible before leaving the condo to some sight seeing - the other extended was already in the phone, discharged overnight to about 42%. Out and about, finally ran the battery down so low (at 4%) that the video camera would not start taking film. So, I swapped to the other extended battery - with 95% charge, as it turns out - and I was able to finish out the day with the rest of my online searches, photos, videos, check-ins, and general items until we came back home, with well over 50% charge left, ***AND*** with both stock batteries at home, dead, when I left, but one fully charged when I got back home.
This would not have been possible with a sealed battery. PERIOD.

Anyhoo....good luck to a the entrants!

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Infinity TF700 running Android JB (rooted) via Tapatalk HD
  • Int_Rnd_Pooka and livinginkaos like this

#68 HighBar

HighBar

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • LocationMD
  • Current Device(s):Bionic, TF700

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:41 AM

I went with it because it was the first dual core lte phone out there. I followed it through all the development issues and just waited until it came out. I was a bit mad when the RAZR came out and the price dropped through the floor but hey what can you do?.. As for why I stick with it... Well I don't like Samsung phones and that's the only thing I've seen that really has anything better than what I have in my hand. I'm waiting to see what Moto comes out with and where I should spend my hard earned money since verizon is going to want to take it and my unlimited data away when I get something new. Dear Moto, Give me a phone to love and use that is awesome.

#69 HeadKase

HeadKase

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Twitter:WhizKidPhoto
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ
  • Current Device(s):Bionic

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:01 AM

I went through 8 OG Droid's and had just received the 9th one when the Bionic came out. It was definitely time to upgrade. I've stucked with my Bionic because it's a rock solid phone.

#70 matjmonk

matjmonk

Pack Leader to Bubba

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,662 posts
  • Google+:matjmonk@gmail.com
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6, Nexus 7 (2013)

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

Why would a Gentleman Corgi such as myself choose a Bionic? Well, the Pack Leader's Droid X was getting a bit long in the tooth technology wise and being a pesuasive Canine, I convinced him that a new mobile device was needed (did I say I've been able to hack his password each time he sets it so I can access my FB page?). He called the ever so helpful VZW people and talked to them about using his upgrade, and at first they tried to steer him into the X2 but we all know the sequel is never as good as the original. So then the Pack Leader looked at both the D4 and Razor but neither was acceptable for various issues (the Razor because of the none replaceable battery). So price and specs won out in the end and the Bionic came home to stay with us. We both like the phone despite the LTE connectivity issues at first and the lack of developer support.

That brings me to the reason for staying, since the release of ICS, the development community has been super and after the untimely demise of the Hive, the folks here were kind enough to give us a new home and make us feel welcome despite our stepchild status with Moto. Just wanted to pass on my thanks to the great folks that run this place and the excellent developer community that has made this device so bleeping awesome!

Edit: One thing I would like to add, if by some chance (remote as it is) that my Pack Leader is selected as the winner of this contest, please donate the prizes to someone who need and/or can really use them. The Pack Leader has way too much junk from all the other smartphones he has owned (BB, Early WinPhone, Droid X) and has no room to keep my treats or play toys out!
  • livinginkaos and Bratster2 like this
Posted Image
Bubba, perfide lues Odocoileus virginianus felines et ubique!

#71 Erievon

Erievon

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationCleveland, OH
  • Current Device(s):VZW S4 (MDK)

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

To be honest I inherited this phone, I didn't pick it. The original owner (my mother, don't laugh, she's in her late 50's and loves all things tech) bought it right after release, before the Razr was announced because it was the biggest baddest thing on the block at that moment.

I was due for an upgrade from my Dinc2, but didn't want to loose my unlimited data for anything on the market at that time, so I let her take my upgrade in exchange for the Bionic. Figured I could live with it until her upgrade came around in a couple months. I've been in love ever since, and at the moment don't really care when the upgrade becomes available.

What keeps me here? JB is coming, someday. In the meantime there's Hash's safestrap. How do you beat being able to quad boot a phone?

I should have a signature here...somewhere.

#72 debonu

debonu

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Twitter:debonu
  • Google+:debonu

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

I purchased the Bionic as an upgrade from my OG Droid. With the hope that it would live up to the same high standards and see the same level of support. While it has been a bumpy ride from the release wait, to the wait for ICS, the Bionic has not been a disappointment!

We'll see what the future brings with the JB release!

#73 smileythom

smileythom

:-)

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationCA
  • Current Device(s):Droid Bionic, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0"

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

How do you like the lapdock? I have a case but never use it, I hate how the cases collect dirty in them. I have the extended battery to use when I need. The battery and the case are really nice when you do need them.

It is great for what it does: adding a keyboard interface to Android. It sucked on GB (in my opinion) due to lack of memory you couldn't do much even the firefox browser would crash with more than one tab and you had no access to your android apps. Now with ICS it basically turns your phone into tablet mode which is cool, but Android is designed for touch and so it doesn't work as well with a track pad. Once I added a wireless mouse to it, it helped a lot.

Where it really shines is in using productivity apps. I went to a conference and could take notes great (Google Drive has become much better as well to help in this department). I have set up a VPN connection and an RDP app to connect to my PC at work so I can get to anything I need and work almost like it isn't a phone.

The main drawback is with the move to ICS they broken the audio control when outputting audio throw the usb/hdmi dock. This causes your volume to be full on or mute, unless you plug in headphone or otherwise use the 3.5mm jack. The only other problem I had was the Hulu Plus app will not let you output video via HDMI! This made me cancel my Hulu subscription (I guess they don't want my money).

It is a shame that Motorola screwed this up so badly. The original webtop implementation was unique and awesome in principle, it just poorly managed memory and never updated to allow a full Linux environment like it should have. The other problem was the cost of the Lapdock was originally $300. For that price you could get a more functional netbook at the time and tether for connectivity. I got mine for~$85 when they first started hitting discount site (e.g. 1saleaday.com) For that price and definitely for $50 that they got down to I think it is worth it if you had productive things to do on your phone. If you want to play games on a larger screen this won't work as most game apps are tailored well for mouse input.

#74 dtrail

dtrail

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

Thank you for offering this!!

I choose the Bionic because I really need a second device (Moto preferred) in case I brick my Razr (or something like that) when trying our latest stuff on it. I am working on a big (rom) project and other hacks for the Razr together with my new team and it would be great to know that I can try our stuff without putting great stress on having a working phone the next day. Just use the good old Bionic as my daily driver until the project is finished. :) In case that there are still a lot of Bionic users it would be an option to develop some new stuff for it too...A great opportunity to learn more about Moto devices and its development!

#75 chrisp6825

chrisp6825

Byaaah!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Current Device(s):Moto Droid Bionic

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

I picked the bionic ignorantly because the specs looked nice and I had high hopes for the lapdock/HDMI out.

The community is better than I expected with great and devoted guys/gals. I've loved my bionic regardless of the dismissals from moto. The community kept this phone alive for me. Great job guys and thanks for the hard work! It's definitely not going unnoticed here :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

#76 GarciaFan

GarciaFan

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

I was waiting for dual core and LTE. I also have an affinity for Motorola phones. I have stuck with the Bionic, because I don't think the newer phones are significantly better. I will probably switch phones when a Motorola quad core is available on the VZW network.

Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

#77 PAJ

PAJ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationThe Frozen North

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

Was seeing my original Droid struggle running some apps. I had an upgrade available and the dual core Bionic seemed like a great choice. Bigger screen, faster, more storage. I got my Bionic right when it became available, so the Razors were not a choice yet.

As for why I have stayed with it, support from communities likes this, Samuri's HOB in particular. The HOB give me confidence to move forward even with unofficial leaks. I also love the size and dependability...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

HoBeans...

#78 srbianats

srbianats

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Bionic

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:33 AM

I chose the Bionic because it was a dual core and accepts a microsd card. The main reason is the removable battery. The battery was the deal breaker.

The reason I stuck with the Bionic is simple. SamuriHL and his HoB. He gave me hope. Phone just got better with each release of the HoB.

Now how about a giveaway of a life time supply of BACON.

.ǝɹǝɥʇ noʎ ʇǝb 11ıʍ pɐoɹ ʎuɐ 'buıob ǝɹɐ noʎ ǝɹǝɥʍ ʍouʞ ʇ,uop noʎ ɟı

#79 schnp

schnp

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:20 AM

I had been using the Droid Incredible but it started showing signs of age in a serious way. The Bionic was really the best phone on the market at the time (so for a two-week period) but I was hesitant about the larger screen since I really liked how compact the DINC was. Once I got the Bionic I never lookede back though - I don't miss the small screen or not-so-incredible battery life on the Incredible.

I stick with it because, god bless you, there is an active dev team that keeps the Bionic fresh. I got hooked on flashing custom ROMs on the DINC so I was thrilled when a root exploit came out, then, Bootstrap, then Safestrap, and then all the ICS and JB ROMs which got us through the dry spell waiting for an Official OTA ICS update. I'm due for an upgrade now actually, but as long as the Bionic keeps kicking and the ROMs keep getting better, I'm sticking with it for the long run (also because I'm a cheap-gluteus maximus and don't want to pay for an upgrade).

#80 humbleopus

humbleopus

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:30 AM

Bought my Bionic because of the price and great specs and removable battery.

I keep it because of this awesome community and the dev's that work hard to give us some great ROM's.

By the way, my wife has one as well.

Thanks for the contest!
But most of all, thanks to the awesome Dev's and community who help us learn and better use our phones.
Ain't nothin' but a simple man... with a really cool phone

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bionic, Giveaway

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users